Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    People who are boosting their characters to skip the Vanilla leveling aren't seeking to recreate any feeling.

They likely just want to jump straight into content they had fond memories of.
    This. While I played late Vanilla into BC, I have 0 fond memories before level cap in BC.
    Do I remember slow tedium and wishing to see the fabled end game touted by the good players of the server? Yes, more of that.
    "Damn, this quest in Feralas is taking forever. One day I'll be done with this slow shit-hole and see what Nagrand looks like, that's worth this grind."
    I'm in the camp of players that got 1 toon to 60 in Classic and since I can't buy a faction transfer to play with friends I boosted a new character for BCC.

If I had had to re-level a druid from 1-58 I just wouldn't have bothered to play, playing 14.5 years I can't be asked.
    As to the actual video, I love Carbot animations but this one didn't hit me like it could have. If it had focused on overall changes and loss of friends that would have been relatable, not over store mounts and LFD.

Since the sparkle pony I've never once been envious of a store mount. The only mounts I'm proud of are ones I earned, and that's purely subjective.
    No one else cares if I got the ICC 25man drake in 2010 or 2021, but I do.
    No one else cares that I got a crappy reskin by soloing Plaguefall, but I think it's neat because it took some effort. Not hard, but effort nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Because it’s a video game and if you’re used to sitting down for long play sessions, a baby’s going to almost literally shit on that plan.

Also, why would you infer from their post that you couldn’t do things you enjoy?
    Its really quite simple - when many wow players were heavily invested in the game, they were at uni / school, had no wife, and no kids. Even after school/uni, many people are in entry level employment positions, which have strict hours and are not exactly taxing. As we grow and life changes, our priorities shift, some start their own business or at very least discover that most high paid positions involve much longer hours, and are much more taxing than "would you like fries with that?"

If wow was 18 months old and was starting to struggle, it would be a totally different situation, but over nearly TWO DECADES, the majoirty of players will find their current situation unrecognizable compared to vanilla. Obviously not everyone has been playing since vanilla, but that doesnt change the core of the argument - even if the game had remained exactly the same, many of the players would still be going through an ever changing lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Because it’s a video game and if you’re used to sitting down for long play sessions, a baby’s going to almost literally shit on that plan.

Also, why would you infer from their post that you couldn’t do things you enjoy?
    Imagine you used to play tennis. Now you have a family and instead of playing tennis, you play soccer. And people ask you:" Hey why you stopped playing tennis?" and you are like "Well, I have a family now." Does this make any sense?

People not randomly "move on". They not randomly stop playing because they now have a family or a new job. They stop because they no longer enjoy it as much as they used to. It's really really simple. It should be very clear what it means if you rather do other things than playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Yep, because as soon as you have family your life is over and you can no longer do things you enjoy. This mindset.
    yeah,it kinda does mean that,just since my gf my wow time has been atleast halfed,and i was lucky that she also played wow so automaticaly i gained extra time for it,and i work from home also pre covid

i cant even begin to imagine having a few kids,a job that i have to actualy go to and from,and a partner that doesnt share my hobbies

i have seen this happen time and time again with irl friends,they used to be able to play a ton,got married and kids and boom,adios,some dudes with older kids still play but not nearly as much as i could in highscool

also got a cat recently and gaming time has shrunk a further 50% ish,its just 1 month old and its amazing how much atention they demand from you,im glad im a cat person and not a dog one,those buggers are even worse

10+ Year Old Account
    See, your personal feelings have nothing to do with the fact that boosts devalue character progression.

- - - Updated - - -

True people quit wow because they enjoy it so much and think it's awesome.
    So you're actually saying there's no other reason than those two?

I personally had to stop playing the game for almost a year due to work and irl stuff taking my time. I still enjoyed the game at the time. Am I lying, then? I stopped because I didn't?

I'm sure you do realize there's several different reasons for why people stop playing. But they don't fit your agenda, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine you used to play tennis. Now you have a family and instead of playing tennis, you play soccer. And people ask you:" Hey why you stopped playing tennis?" and you are like "Well, I have a family now." Does this make any sense?

People not randomly "move on". They not randomly stop playing because they now have a family or a new job. They stop because they no longer enjoy it as much as they used to. It's really really simple. It should be very clear what it means if you rather do other things than playing WoW.
    Oh, I didn't see this post. Jesus Christ. Nevermind.
    Hi

No, your argument does not make sense. Having obligations or priorities doesn’t mean you enjoy something less… unless you’re talking about being an involved parent or advancing your career, and yeah, I hope people find satisfaction in those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    yeah,it kinda does mean that,just since my gf my wow time has been atleast halfed,and i was lucky that she also played wow so automaticaly i gained extra time for it,and i work from home also pre covid

i cant even begin to imagine having a few kids,a job that i have to actualy go to and from,and a partner that doesnt share my hobbies

i have seen this happen time and time again with irl friends,they used to be able to play a ton,got married and kids and boom,adios,some dudes with older kids still play but not nearly as much as i could in highscool

also got a cat recently and gaming time has shrunk a further 50% ish,its just 1 month old and its amazing how much atention they demand from you,im glad im a cat person and not a dog one,those buggers are even worse
    I don't think he's old enough to know that life can change. I literally wasn't able to do much other than work and manage having a baby with my gf a few years ago. Sure I had some time now and then when the baby slept, but since she slept so unstable from the time she was born until around 1.5 years old, I could never really be sure if I had 1 hour, 2 hours or 10 minutes until the sirens turned on. Since I've always played wow to raid with friends, committing to a raid schedule was impossible.

But check that guy's other posts. I'm flabbergasted.

- - - Updated - - -

No, your argument does not make sense. Having obligations or priorities doesn’t mean you enjoy something less… unless you’re talking about being an involved parent or advancing your career, and yeah, I hope people find satisfaction in those things.
    He seems to treat this game as something waaaay beyond being just that; a game. It's pretty fucking weird to read what he's typing lmao. He's basically comparing spending time on WoW with spending time with family and whatnot. Like.. what.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I don't think he's old enough to know that life can change. I literally wasn't able to do much other than work and manage having a baby with my gf a few years ago. Sure I had some time now and then when the baby slept, but since she slept so unstable from the time she was born until around 1.5 years old, I could never really be sure if I had 1 hour, 2 hours or 10 minutes until the sirens turned on. Since I've always played wow to raid with friends, committing to a raid schedule was impossible.

But check that guy's other posts. I'm flabbergasted.

- - - Updated - - -

He seems to treat this game as something waaaay beyond being just that; a game. It's pretty fucking weird to read what he's typing lmao. He's basically comparing spending time on WoW with spending time with family and whatnot. Like.. what.
    the main issue here is that wow is a demanding game if you wanna be cutting edge,i was barely able to maintain this until bfa when i kinda quit endgame(and like i said,i was very lucky to be working from home,gf plays wow,no other responsabilities besides the ocational social outing and gym,and it was still clutch)

if i had a baby crying and a bussy job,no way would i be able to do that....can you play wow even in those scenarios?sure ofc....but to play it and be cutting edge??0% chance

we had a guy once with a young baby and like you say,he simply had to bail on us at important moments,was always late etc,eventualy he just whent casual and we ofc didnt mind

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    See, your personal feelings have nothing to do with the fact that boosts devalue character progression.

How can it devalue something that has no value? It's YOUR personal feeling that are assigning it value not mine
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Meet Bob. Its 2005 and bob is in school - he lives at home while he studies. Fast forward 15 years - bob is a solicitor and partner at his law firm - he works 70+ hours per week. Bob is married, with 3 kids. Two of those kids are heavily involved in sport, one has swimming 5 days a week at 6am, the other trains footy 2 times a week after school, and has music 2 nights a week. Bob often doesnt get home until 630/7pm or later, has dinner, helps his kids with homework, then puts them to bed with his wife. Its often 8:30pm before he even gets a chance to talk with his wife, then he has a little bit of work to do before going to bed since they are back up at 5am.

Bob has some spare time, no doubt about it, but it is extremely limited. He chooses to spend that time playing with his kids, building lego, building forts, and once a month he has a "date night" with his wife while a babysitter looks after the kids. Bob hasnt thought once about WoW or any video games in a long time - when he stopped playing, he loved the game, but found it was no longer his highest priority with his spare time.

Depending where you are in life right now, you might think this is an extreme example, but I can assure you, it is very common.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

So you're actually saying there's no other reason than those two?

I personally had to stop playing the game for almost a year due to work and irl stuff taking my time. I still enjoyed the game at the time. Am I lying, then? I stopped because I didn't?

I'm sure you do realize there's several different reasons for why people stop playing. But they don't fit your agenda, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I didn't see this post. Jesus Christ. Nevermind.
    So for 1 year you had no time for your hobbies because of your job. Jesus christ. Your life must have been pure hell.

I'm sure this must have been the case for all the people quitting. I feel sorry for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Meet Bob. Its 2005 and bob is in school - he lives at home while he studies. Fast forward 15 years - bob is a solicitor and partner at his law firm - he works 70+ hours per week. Bob is married, with 3 kids. Two of those kids are heavily involved in sport, one has swimming 5 days a week at 6am, the other trains footy 2 times a week after school, and has music 2 nights a week. Bob often doesnt get home until 630/7pm or later, has dinner, helps his kids with homework, then puts them to bed with his wife. Its often 8:30pm before he even gets a chance to talk with his wife, then he has a little bit of work to do before going to bed since they are back up at 5am.

Bob has some spare time, no doubt about it, but it is extremely limited. He chooses to spend that time playing with his kids, building lego, building forts, and once a month he has a "date night" with his wife while a babysitter looks after the kids. Bob hasnt thought once about WoW or any video games in a long time - when he stopped playing, he loved the game, but found it was no longer his highest priority with his spare time.

Depending where you are in life right now, you might think this is an extreme example, but I can assure you, it is very common.
    So, bob who loved playing tennis now has a family and can no longer play tennis because he plays with his kids or hang out with his wife? I can guarantee you there are a lot of married bobs with children playing tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahcake View Post
    Luckily, freedom of speech exists, so stuff like that can be created and publicly posted.
    Freedom of speech exists, but being called out for blowing any way the wind blows is the consequence of changing your story one week to the next.

Freedom of speech is also the freedom to tell someone to STFU. You have neither here or on YouTube.

So, bob who loved playing tennis now has a family and can no longer play tennis because he plays with his kids or hang out with his wife? I can guarantee you there are a lot of married bobs with children playing tennis.
    I have absolutely no clue what you are rambling about, or why you are talking about tennis, but in the scenario presented, when exactly is bob going to play tennis? Tennis is a TERRIBLE example to use, we are talking about a game that requires substantial time investment in front of a PC, not some activity you can jump in and out of with weeks or even months between individual sessions. Stick to wow, there is absolutely no reason to try and use tennis or any other activity.

But for the sake of your weird and entirely unnecessary example, I can guarantee you there are plenty of people married with kids and with high pressure jobs who no longer play tennis as well, and not because they no longer enjoy Tennis, but because they simply dont have the time. Honestly, what an absolutely TERRIBLE analogy, and screams "im 19 and am yet to figure out how adulthood works".

I have absolutely no clue what you are rambling about, or why you are talking about tennis, but in the scenario presented, when exactly is bob going to play tennis? Tennis is a TERRIBLE example to use, we are talking about a game that requires substantial time investment in front of a PC, not some activity you can jump in and out of with weeks or even months between individual sessions. Stick to wow, there is absolutely no reason to try and use tennis or any other activity.

But for the sake of your weird and entirely unnecessary example, I can guarantee you there are plenty of people married with kids and with high pressure jobs who no longer play tennis as well, and not because they no longer enjoy Tennis, but because they simply dont have the time. Honestly, what an absolutely TERRIBLE analogy, and screams "im 19 and am yet to figure out how adulthood works".
    Yes, WoW demands a lot of time. Literally dozens of hours. You can't log in do dungeons with your friends for an hour or do a raid. That's literally impossible. You in front of your computer(not on a tennis field), have to sit there, daily and grind the maw and anima. For hours to come or else you just not playing. Yep. Good point. Bob on the tennis field doesn't have such issues. He just goes and plays tennis twice a week for couple hours. Doesn't have to worry about grinding anima. That's right. Very bad analogy.

Yes, WoW demands a lot of time. Literally dozens of hours. You can't log in do dungeons with your friends for an hour or do a raid. That's literally impossible. You in front of your computer(not on a tennis field), have to sit there, daily and grind the maw and anima. For hours to come or else you just not playing. Yep. Good point. Bob on the tennis field doesn't have such issues. He just goes and plays tennis twice a week for couple hours. Doesn't have to worry about grinding anima. That's right. Very bad analogy.
    You got there! well done! The irony is, you are trying to be sarcastic, but you are actually right (other than the tennis FIELD part, but whatever). You have continued to ignore all other points raised, and have failed to tell me, in the scenario you replied to, when does Bob play tennis? And as i explained VERY CLEARLY, even if Bob has a few hours spare, he is at a point in his life were he gains far more enjoyment from family activities than sitting in front of a pc playing wow. You keep ignoring that part - bob isn't saying "wow bad", bob is saying "i have better things to do with my extremely limited free time than play a couple of hours of wow, where I will achieve very little"

What bob may or may not do, is spend his spare few hours on the weekend playing mario karts with his kids - not because he personally thinks mario karts is a better game than wow, not because he thinks wow is bad, but because that brings him far more enjoyment.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-06-22 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So for 1 year you had no time for your hobbies because of your job. Jesus christ. Your life must have been pure hell.

I'm sure this must have been the case for all the people quitting. I feel sorry for them.
    When you have a job that can have over 10 hour work days and also travelling to other countries at times? It's hard to have time for hobbies with just that alone. Do I bring my PC with me abroad just to play wow? What do you think, that this game is that important to me?

Now, keeping that in mind, throw in having a girlfriend and a baby, that doesn't have a sleeping pattern. Let's also bring in other parts of the family, and also friends. Do you actually think I would choose this game over family, friends, a steady income? Are you delusional?

And you apparently can't read for shit. I've stated that there are several different reasons for why people quit. You dont seem to comprehend that. I don't know if that's because you lack the ability to do so, choose not to, or what.. But I'm sure you can piece together how intelligent it makes you seem

Obviously you're too ignorant to accept that your view of why people quit can be wrong or 'incomplete'. Shame, I guess.

I hope you get to a point in life at some point where you realize what's truly valuable, and that this game isn't such a a huge part of that. There are ways to get help out there.
    Hi

When you have a job that can have over 10 hour work days and also travelling to other countries at times? It's hard to have time for hobbies with just that alone. Do I bring my PC with me abroad just to play wow? What do you think, that this game is that important to me?

Now, keeping that in mind, throw in having a girlfriend and a baby, that doesn't have a sleeping pattern. Let's also bring in other parts of the family, and also friends. Do you actually think I would choose this game over family, friends, a steady income? Are you delusional?

And you apparently can't read for shit. I've stated that there are several different reasons for why people quit. You dont seem to comprehend that. I don't know if that's because you lack the ability to do so, choose not to, or what.. But I'm sure you can piece together how intelligent it makes you seem

Obviously you're too ignorant to accept that your view of why people quit can be wrong or 'incomplete'. Shame, I guess.

I hope you get to a point in life at some point where you realize what's truly valuable, and that this game isn't such a a huge part of that. There are ways to get help out there.
    So people who work over 50 hours a week, have a family and children now no longer play WoW, although they used to play. Man that's a very long reach.

So people who work over 50 hours a week, have a family and children now no longer play WoW, although they used to play. Man that's a very long reach.
    You are the only one reaching here, and everyone can see it. Not a single one of your "arguments" is valid or holds up to even a moment of scrutiny - and you know it. Tennis? REALLY? You are just producing strawman after strawman after strawman.

You are the only one reaching here, and everyone can see it. Not a single one of your "arguments" is valid or holds up to even a moment of scrutiny - and you know it. Tennis? REALLY? You are just producing strawman after strawman after strawman.
    You act like tennis as hobby isn't the same as playing a video game as hobby. Because "you sit in front of a pc". You keep telling the same thing, "people just have no more time" - that's simply wrong as proven by the tennis analogy. You can do the things you enjoy if you want to, even with family, even with a job.

Now go tell me how different it is spending time playing tennis compared to wow. And if you have time to play tennis, that doesn't mean that you have time to play wow.

Man this is so stupid.

You act like tennis as hobby isn't the same as playing a video game as hobby. Because "you sit in front of a pc". You keep telling the same thing, "people just have no more time" - that's simply wrong as proven by the tennis analogy. You can do the things you enjoy if you want to, even with family, even with a job.

Now go tell me how different it is spending time playing tennis compared to wow. And if you have time to play tennis, that doesn't mean that you have time to play wow.

Man this is so stupid.
    Ok since you are so determined to ignore all the other points raised, and have now claimed multiple times that literally the only reason a person would stop playing wow is because they no longer enjoy it - Answer me this - A person is in the military and is deployed overseas into an active combat region. Tell me how "they only stopped playing because they don't enjoy wow anymore" and not because they are at war, or on a submarine, or on a ship, or in the air force.

Ill wait down here to give you some time to think this one through.

Maybe you would prefer one of the other countless reasons a person might stop playing wow:

Im sorry Bob, but you will never regain control over your body after the stroke.
    Im sorry Bob, but your family member is terminally ill
    Im sorry Bob, but we cannot repair your PC - it will need to be replaced, and i know you just cannot afford one right now.
    Im sorry Bob, but we really cant afford the $15 a month for your wow, our kids need clothes.
    Im sorry Bob, but you will never regain your site after the accident.
    Im sorry Bob, but where you are deployed for work, the internet is next to non existent.

You are living in this extremely naïve and delusional dream world were people priorities a bloody videogame over real life, and would NEVER put anything else before the game no matter what.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-06-23 at 12:58 AM.