Poll: Are human beings superior to all other life?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Also as far as we know humans are the only species that is capable of planning and intentionally saving other species, and potentially reviving extinct species. Without people all other species will go extinct as the sun warms up over time and turns into a red giant. All known forms of life are doomed without us.
    We can't escape that fate either.

7+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, unequivocally, NO. Anyone that says yes is an arrogant piece of garbage that just proves the no even more.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2021-06-25 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Yea...we do come with an expiration date.
    Except some kinds of jellyfish...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    *snip*
    - - - Updated - - -

True but drop a Tiger in the middle of New York it’s not going to survive either.

Sure it might kill a few people but that wouldn’t last long.
    doubt New York would ever be considered "favorable habitat" for a tiger
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Also as far as we know humans are the only species that is capable of planning and intentionally saving other species, and potentially reviving extinct species.
    Also, driving casual mass-extinction of species too. Don't forget that.

Without people all other species will go extinct as the sun warms up over time and turns into a red giant. All known forms of life are doomed without us.
    That happens with or without humans, and honestly life on earth would be a helluva lot better overall without humans destroying habitats, killing biodiversity, increasing the rate of global warming/climate change, and hunting species to extinction, often just for trophies.

You can't predict that humans will be capable of preventing the sun from going supernova in billions of years, or that we'll even still be around as a species at that time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    I guess you think it's impossible to colonize other solar systems. I think it's easily possible and out of the couple billion years or so that life has left on Earth it will take humanity less than 1% of that time to achieve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Due to my schooling in Biology, I'd say no. Feels weird to think of it that way.
    Biology is about human "hardware" though, what makes people particularly special and sentient is a matter of our neural "software" that cannot be understood through the lense of biology, it's the wrong the level of abstraction.

Since the question is too vague to give an objective answer, I must say no.

Superior in what respect?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Superior in what respect?
    Each person can have their own criteria but for me I think of it in terms of moral value, which can be effected by intellectual value.

I guess you think it's impossible to colonize other solar systems. I think it's easily possible and out of the couple billion years or so that life has left on Earth it will take humanity less than 1% of that time to achieve it.
    Unproven supposition.
    But...thats you.
    Biology is about human "hardware" though, what makes people particularly special and sentient is a matter of our neural "software" that cannot be understood through the lense of biology, it's the wrong the level of abstraction.
    Lol... You made Rozz's point. I'm sure the irony is amusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Each person can have their own criteria but for me I think of it in terms of moral value, which can be effected by intellectual value.
    Libertarians don't have morals beyond "greed is good."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Unproven supposition.
    Yes, ideas are unproven until they happen. Everyone knows that's how it works.
    Lol... You made Rozz's point. I'm sure the irony is amusing.
    Good, that means we agree on the same point.
    Libertarians don't have morals beyond "greed is good."
    Your value system is the one truly legitimate value system. Everyone else is evil. That's what it seems like.

OP uses the rationale of "superiority" to green-light torturing animals who have the audacity to enter their home just to try to survive the elements, so I'm going to vote NO just to spite them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans? Humans are capable, nay, more than willing to do things not even animals will ever do. Like torture. God, we've come up with so many ways to torture someone. Usually for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Intelligence - Yes

Pure Physical Traits - Relative comparison between species and environment is needed.

Eg - living outside of water - human wins compared to most fish.
    Living in space - tardigrade wins compared to human.

Good, that means we agree on the same point.
    Rozz says no.
    You say yes.
    And you call that "agreement."
    Sadly, I'm almost certain you believe that. Which leads to that one thing I can unequivocally say is humans are superior in how well they can delude themselves.

as humans we are not able to give an unbiased opinion on the matter. besides which it's impossible to really judge overall superiority
    we are absolutely better at many things than most other life is, but there's lots of things other species are better than us at too. just like we don't need to be best at everything, neither do they

and it doesn't matter anyway. we need each other

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    doubt New York would ever be considered "favorable habitat" for a tiger
    It takes a little warming (already happening) and abandonment by humans.

You guess wrong, even if we conquer the entire universe eventually humanity will fade away, and eventually it will be like as if we never where in the first place.

The most superior life in all exsistance would certainly need to have this debate amongst all the other subjects being "discussed" on the forum for sure. The stinch of overwhelmingly awesomeness is on display. Who wrong, who dumb, not me, you are.. sums up our superiority nicely.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's not at all though....and I don't know what you're getting at. Think of Biology as a life science and whatever biases individuals have comes second to how we study or look at organisms. One of the first things you're taught is not to try and put organisms on a ladder or pyramid of supremacy, because that's not a consistent model that reflects reality. Everything is best in the niche it survives in and you have to compare things equitably.

We are the most advanced tool-using/creating organism that we currently know of, but far from the best at much else.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-06-25 at 12:02 PM.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Are human beings superior to all other life? (Meaning all other forms of life. Species on Earth, Alien or synthetic please elaborate why.)

I would say yes. I say that from a pure homo sapient bias.

If the choice is to save an animal or human I’m saving the human. Usually

For example I don’t think emotional support animals should be allowed in supermarkets, airplanes or restaurants.

I also believe it should be legal deny renting to someone who doesn’t have a service animal. Emotional shouldn’t count.
    So you believe humans are the master race? You know who else believed it?