Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    You be you then? Not sure why offense is being taken. I guess that odd hill to die on has you.. barring a shield upon it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Already trying to deflect away from your argument that this is a weird subject to talk about? Totally fair strategic decision.
    you guys are weird....

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    you guys are weird....
    We're all pretty weird here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    We're all pretty weird here.
    Yeah agreed but a bunch of people just had their roof cave in on their heads and you lot are talking about what is and isnt ok to talk about.

There are more interesting things.

Like what goes through your head seconds before an entire building falls on you

Yeah agreed but a bunch of people just had their roof cave in on their heads and you lot are talking about what is and isnt ok to talk about.

For most of us it's gonna be "well fu--" and that's about it. Maybe you'll have enough time for a Comic Book Guy "Oh I've wasted my life," but not much more. To me that's a pretty common thing to think about. I don't know that I've ever come across someone who said, "it's weird that people are talking about a building collapse, I don't see what there is to talk about." It just drew the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    So it was known that it was sinking as early as the 1990’s, with it being verified that the land was unstable a year ago, yet nothing was done?
    Well duh of course it is unstable. Honestly I am surprised as fuck every time I see houses or buildings that last a long time.

As far as "nothing was done" What can you actually do?

Consider this:

That entire area is a barrier island. Barrier islands by their nature are temporary structures They have constant shifting sands and over time will erode. Consider that longshore currents erode sand and then consider that people build jetties and other structures to stop their sand from eroding. That doesn't solve any issues but instead just exacerbates issues somewhere else since the area expecting sand to be deposited instead gets none and instead just erodes upwards without replenishment.

They are constantly eroding temporary structures that eventually will fail. Do you have any idea how huge the area of sand replenishment is and just how fucking retarded it is. It's crazy!!

New Jersey spent 5 million and spent months planning to replenish sand in ocean county that eroded within three months.

Nothing is "done" because nothing really can be done, short of relocating them.

Pretty terrifying that this can just happen out of nowhere. Still, by human nature we'll forget about it I'm sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Pretty terrifying that this can just happen out of nowhere. Still, by human nature we'll forget about it I'm sure.
    Seeing that people have been complaining of cracks in the building since 2018
    it wasn't out of no where

I wonder whois gonna dodge jailtime over this due to being rich and well connected
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Seeing that people have been complaining of cracks in the building since 2018
    it wasn't out of no where

I wonder whois gonna dodge jailtime over this due to being rich and well connected
    It’s on a damn barrier island.

It's not our of nowhere years of complaints and warnings were ignored.

Well somebody’s gotta keep the population count in check durka durka

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It's not our of nowhere years of complaints and warnings were ignored.
    From the perspective of most people living there, probably was out of nowhere. Sleeping at 1-2AM, you wouldn't be expecting it.

From the perspective of most people living there, probably was out of nowhere. Sleeping at 1-2AM, you wouldn't be expecting it.
    Winter blossom mentioned something about how last year it was said to be unstable and was sinking since 1990.

Then there's also the fact it's a barrier island anyway...

I've driven by homes that are on cliff sides where the trees grow with trunks curved like an S. Is it a surprise that area beings to shift and you have a land movement? The signs of the land shifting is already clear in the trees. There also seemed to be little there to retain the soil, so it seems just a matter of time before some damage happens.

There are barrier islands all around where people build structures despite the fact 20 years ago it was twice as wide.

And as I am scrolling through tiktok today watching people make fools of themselves, I come across a video of a guy that stitched with another person. And that person claimed it was a controlled demo, you know, akin to 9/11 truthers, even though on the video there were no flashes or sounds of bombs going off. But he also said that MacAfee didn't kill himself and that this was all in order to hide that Georgia was doing an audit of their votes. Even though they have done a couple already.

Some people need to be removed from all social media and shit because of the falsities they are posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    And as I am scrolling through tiktok today watching people make fools of themselves, I come across a video of a guy that stitched with another person. And that person claimed it was a controlled demo, you know, akin to 9/11 truthers, even though on the video there were no flashes or sounds of bombs going off. But he also said that MacAfee didn't kill himself and that this was all in order to hide that Georgia was doing an audit of their votes. Even though they have done a couple already.

Some people need to be removed from all social media and shit because of the falsities they are posting.
    2021 and the 'controlled demo 9/11' people still having researched how buildings collapse. Not surprised actually.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post

Low Soil
    Can't drop
    Buildings.

Did reality REALLY uninstall MacAfee '45 or was it malware?

/S

- - - Updated - - -

Concrete.

/more S
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty terrifying that this can just happen out of nowhere.
    It didn't. (And no, I don't care if your post was sarcasm, I'm posting this article anyhow)

An April letter to the residents of the Miami Beach-area condo that collapsed last week said the building's "concrete deterioration is accelerating" and warned that damage "would begin to multiply exponentially."

The purpose of theletter, sent by Champlain Towers South Board President Jean Wodnicki, was to explain to residents why a renovation that had originally been estimated to cost about $9 million had jumped to $16 million in about three years.

Engineering consultant Frank Morabito had been hired in 2018 to get a start on a 40-year recertification process, as is required under the Miami-Dade County building code. His report indicated that there was “abundant cracking” and crumbling in the underground parking garage of the 12-story building.

He also said the waterproofing below the pool deck and entrance drive was failing, “causing major structural damage to the concrete structural slab below these areas.”

By 2021, the building was in substantial disrepair, Wodnicki wrote in the April 9 letter.

Morabito's "estimate indicated that the concrete damage observed would begin to multiply exponentially over the years, and indeed the observable damage such as in the garage has gotten significantly worse since the initial inspection," Wodnicki wrote in what she called "the State of the Building."

"When you can visually see the concrete spalling (cracking), that means that the rebar holding it together is rusting and deteriorating beneath the surface," she told residents.

"The original scope of work in the 2018 report has expanded. The concrete deterioration is accelerating. The roof situation got much worse," she wrote. "New problems have been identified. Also, costs go up every year. This is how we have gone from the estimated $9,128,433.60 cited in Frank Morabito’s 2018 report, to the much larger figure we have today."

"When performing any concrete restoration work, it is impossible to know the extent of the damage to the underlying rebar until the concrete is opened up. Oftentimes the damage is more extensive than can be determined by inspection of the surface," Wodnicki added.

The urgency with which Wodnicki addressed residents in April was not the approach officials took in 2018 after Morabito's report was released.

In fact, residents said they weren't told about the report, with one telling NBC News that a Surfside building official said at a meeting a month later "that the building was not in bad shape."

Meeting minutes released by Surfside on Monday night confirm the resident's account. The minutes said Surfside building official Rosendo Prieto told those present at the meeting that he had received and reviewed the structural engineer's report "and it appears the building is in very good shape."

"The permit process, balcony railings, concrete restoration, and waterproofing was discussed," the meeting minutes said.

The day after the meeting, Prieto wrote in an email to then-Town Manager Guillermo Olmedillo that "it went very well."

"The response was very positive from everyone in the room," he wrote. "All main concerns over their 40-year recertification process were addressed."

Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said Monday that city officials' failure to disclose the details in the 2018 report was "disturbing."

"We will get to the bottom of it," he said.
    It came from ignoring experts and greed.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It didn't. (And no, I don't care if your post was sarcasm, I'm posting this article anyhow)
    Meeting minutes released by Surfside Monday night confirm Alvarez's account. The minutes said Surfside building official Rosendo Prieto told those present at the meeting that he had received and reviewed the structural engineer report "and it appears the building is in very good shape."
    Well, at least we have what tort attorneys call a deep pocket. Surfside is about to go bankrupt.

- - - Updated - - -

Death toll up to 11 officially, with 150 missing. And I'm guessing that "missing" at this point is actually "still under the building".

- - - Updated - - -

And not to get too macabre but if those poor bastards underneath the building are all dead, this will turn out to be a potentially record breaking* death total for structural collapse** in the United States.

*damns account for the record setting deaths in the United States and globally.
    **not to include terrorist created collapses
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-06-29 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Well, at least we have what tort attorneys call a deep pocket. Surfside is about to go bankrupt.

- - - Updated - - -

Death toll up to 11 officially, with 150 missing. And I'm guessing that "missing" at this point is actually "still under the building".

- - - Updated - - -

And not to get too macabre but if those poor bastards underneath the building are all dead, this will turn out to be a potentially record breaking* death total for structural collapse** in the United States.

*damns account for the record setting deaths in the United States and globally.
    **not to include terrorist created collapses
    There are a lot of holiday homes in that building so missing could potentially just be residents out of state, which is the best case.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Likely from lack of funding more than anything else. Before the collapse, the building's condo board sent a letter to residents noting significant deterioration and explaining the need for a $15 million special assessment to be paid by members. That comes out to approximately 100k per unit.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are a lot of holiday homes in that building so missing could potentially just be residents out of state, which is the best case.
    Let's hope so. I'm skimming some articles but I haven't seen any speculation on the death total. Do you think most people were gone at the time?