Poll: What is your stance on extraterrestrial intelligent life and the Fermi Paradox?

Thread: Aliens

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    Turns out I let my imagination get away with me, and it was just the ghost of Colonel Klink.
    Tell that son of a hundin he still owes me 5 deutsche marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    But, aliens visiting us isn't a crazy idea. It doesn't matter how big space is. There was a time when crossing the ocean or entering space seemed completely ridiculous to humans. Technology made it possible. I'm positive it's the same for space travel.
    I actually find that notion of things being completely ridiculous, because of lack technology to actually be a rather strong point against the notion of UFOs and visiting aliens. We ourselves are currently capable of taking fairly decent pictures of singular individuals from satellites so far away you can't even see them, we are capable of telling what a planets atmosphere and biosphere is made up off, at great distances.
    Now we are talking about an alien race, who would have to do what would likely amount to magic in our current technological level and understanding, to surpass light speed. But they still need to enter our atmosphere? Why? If they're capable of that, what is saying that they aren't capable of pulling on cosmic strings and get information on every singular atom that makes up this planet and its inhabitants? Why would they have to do what we would do at our technological level, when they are so far past us technologically?
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Everyone only cites weather baloons, because that is all they bothered to get to know themselves. In reality most of the newer footage is simply people not understanding how optics, IR, cameras in gernal (apertures) and their navigational/targeting equipment works. Being a pilot means actually jack shit, it's like understanding how to use windows and being able to write it.

Also as others have already said, something like breaking through the speed of light requires such fantastic dimensions of tech and/or energy, it's way more plausible to look into human error first and it's very easy to find as well.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    Now we are talking about an alien race, who would have to do what would likely amount to magic in our current technological level and understanding, to surpass light speed. But they still need to enter our atmosphere? Why? If they're capable of that, what is saying that they aren't capable of pulling on cosmic strings and get information on every singular atom that makes up this planet and its inhabitants? Why would they have to do what we would do at our technological level, when they are so far past us technologically?
    The goals of an alien race would be just that; alien. However, if I were looking for...something, and zooming all over, I too would peek in here and there. Looking for specific elements? Not here. Looking for intelligent life? Not here. The upshot though is we can't know what aliens would really be looking for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The goals of an alien race would be just that; alien. However, if I were looking for...something, and zooming all over, I too would peek in here and there. Looking for specific elements? Not here. Looking for intelligent life? Not here. The upshot though is we can't know what aliens would really be looking for.
    The way I see it, any civilization capable of interstellar travel, would have to be peaceful. It takes utterly massive amounts of energy for that, amounts of energy that could decimate a planet if it were used in the wrong way. Thus, any civilization that is not peaceful would destroy itself before advancing to that point. As far as resources? No alien civilization could ever need resources we have on this planet. Any resources they did need, they would mine from uninhabited planets. Why bother inhabited planets, when uninhabited ones and asteroids tend to have more of the types of resources you would need anyway, and noone there to care what you're taking?

The only reason I could ever think of alien civilizations visiting here (just being hypothetical here, not saying any have) would be for scientific and research reasons. Scientists studying alien life, plants, primitive cultures, etc. E.T. was one of the most realistic in this regard...he was an alien botanist, just studying alien (from his perspective) plants, who happened to get stranded.

We are the aliens.

That aside, aliens are here - just bacterial, or viral.
    And blue blood crabs, maybe squid and the like.

And Europa (the ice moon) has liquid water. Nobody has gone there yet for fear or contaminating it with earth bacteria.
    But there's good chances there is something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    The way I see it, any civilization capable of interstellar travel, would have to be peaceful. It takes utterly massive amounts of energy for that, amounts of energy that could decimate a planet if it were used in the wrong way. Thus, any civilization that is not peaceful would destroy itself before advancing to that point. As far as resources? No alien civilization could ever need resources we have on this planet. Any resources they did need, they would mine from uninhabited planets. Why bother inhabited planets, when uninhabited ones and asteroids tend to have more of the types of resources you would need anyway, and noone there to care what you're taking?

The only reason I could ever think of alien civilizations visiting here (just being hypothetical here, not saying any have) would be for scientific and research reasons. Scientists studying alien life, plants, primitive cultures, etc. E.T. was one of the most realistic in this regard...he was an alien botanist, just studying alien (from his perspective) plants, who happened to get stranded.
    Not necessarily. They could have a religious belief that all life to them are inferior therefore must be enslaved or destroyed. If the majority of their civilisation thinks like that, then there's not really anything stopping them from advancing short of a natural disaster. The problem is that you're thinking from a human-centric POV, aliens might very well have completely different morals and ethics to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    The way I see it, any civilization capable of interstellar travel, would have to be peaceful. It takes utterly massive amounts of energy for that, amounts of energy that could decimate a planet if it were used in the wrong way. Thus, any civilization that is not peaceful would destroy itself before advancing to that point.
    Total domination is probably a way more reasonable approach to that. Just look at china and how they have success right now despite being a totalitarian regime where the individual is treated like shit. Not to mention a theoretical alien species could have a hive mind, or function like large insect colonies with strict hierarchies. Ascribing anything to them from out PoV seems rather futile.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-05-25 at 02:02 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Total domination is probably a way more reasonable approach to that. Just look at china and how they have success right now despite being a totalitarian regime where the individual is treated like shit. Not to mention a theoretical alien species could have a hive mind, or function like large insect colonies with strict hierarchies. Ascribing anything to them from out PoV seems rather futile.
    Exactly the assumption that an alien life form because intelligent and capable of feet we cannot archive has to be a sort of Gandhi’s alien is honestly unbelievable.

If we take humans as example bigger innovation always comes from military research and almost all tech we use nowadays ha it’s origin in a demilitarized tech.

So assuming alien are friends is just a big wish this is why i wouldn’t wish to risk sending signals in the space and attract something we cannot handle.

What if the aliens aren’t like the Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Aliens exist somewhere out there.

Aliens do not visit Earth.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe aliens exist, and that they absolutely visit this planet. Tons of evidence out there, even from our own military.
    Read up on light speed and the universe's distances.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

You don’t have to go straight from A to B. Wormholes very well could be a thing.
    Given our current understanding, they're really not near the same what you see in movies and TV.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I’m up for all kinds of ideas for intergalactic travel being possible by a way more advanced civilization.
    Whatever makes you happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don’t have to go straight from A to B. Wormholes very well could be a thing.
    The mathematical evidences we have gathered so far tell us that wormholes are normaly small and unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Given our current understanding, they're really not near the same what you see in movies and TV.
    I'm almost certain that can apply to our understanding of how reality itself works.

I'm almost certain that can apply to our understanding of how reality itself works.
    Hmm, it's curious... does Science Fiction properly predict? Or does science follow Science Fiction inspiration?

I'll say this, we should be mindful that there was a (brief) time when people would with all earnestness claim the sound barrier couldn't be broken. And they would refuse to even talk to you about it seriously, they just knew it couldn't be done. And then Chuck Yeager came a long, said "Yep, fuck that" and broke it.

So, I'll support Winter in all her fantastical dreams and hopes, even although the uninformed layman in me says "Yeah well, whenever I see scientists talk about it they sigh, do that pathetic smile, switch to eli5 mode and gently let you know that it's nonsense without trying to make you feel too stupid..."

Goes kinda like this "Wormholes? Yeah sure, they could exist. And theoretically, you could travel through them to another space in time... it's just very unlikely and they're rather small and unstable."

What he's thinking is "Ha, fat chance, idiot... unless you're literally the size of atoms and somehow manage to distort time and space to make yourself still be you, want to travel to any random spot in the universe on a one way ticket... like what's even the point? And god knows what'll happen to your personal time in relation to Earth time, by the time you sent us a message back by imaginary hyperlightspeed whatsapp, Earth might already be eaten by the sun, but... yeah, sure, the math checks out, wormholes can be a thing. Just probably not useful to any of us for the next couple million years of evolution..."

I'm not a physicist, so feel free to make fun of my bad science. I'm just making up shit as I go along...

I have been reading up (or actually watching) LOT of stuff on UFOs/UAPs since I heard about those 3 videos leaking recently (I think it was about a few weeks ago... I am not sure). I read that these kind of sightings of UAPs have been happening for 70+ years now and that they (US gov) have been documenting everything since then. I mean I am usually a skeptic but at the same time I am not... I am kinda religious but kinda not, since I grew up with my religion with my parents so that's what I mostly know but at the same time I have my own internal battles about different things that I feel can't be right according to my religion. I have never ever been fully satisfied or content with my religion so I always question things now but at the same time, force of habit (of rituals and whatnot) are ingrained in me from when I was young that I do those things without giving it too much thought.

Anyway, I went on a weird tangent there lol but what I wanted to say was it could be possible that aliens do exist. I am not fully believing into it but at the same time, I am not going to exclude it completely. I do understand that the government lies about many things all the time, especially the US, but if I live my life believing or actually not believing anything anyone says no matter what it is, then that kind of existence would just be very sad and would drive me absolutely insane or paranoid. I flip-flop a lot on many issues that I have encountered in my life but I can't believe that every scientific proof/evidence that is put forth about anything, whether it be about aliens/UAPs/UFOs or anything else, is all fabricated. SOME of it is not gonna be fabricated.

I am though waiting patiently for that UAP report that the US government is going to give to US congress soon in this month so I can find what they do know finally in relation to this. But at the same time, I am pretty sure that both sides of this issue would be not be satisfied with what they will release. And plus, the government will probably hide or classify things from the public as they see fit so... I am basically just very curious at this point now and see where this all leads.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think alien life is particularly uncommon, but I think the universe is just too big to ever really know it. The sheer amount of energy required to traverse interstellar distances in a timely manner in order to find out and make meaningful communication is too great. You’d have to literally chew up stars, and access to that kind of power is limited in our system.

Supposing some incredibly long lived creature did make the journey here, it’s perception of time would be so stretched compared to ours, that we’d be seen individually, as little more than mayfly, and they to us having the permanence of mountains, wouldn’t be recognisable as something living.

Hmm...Five things to know about the UFO report

1.) Vast majority of UFO cases remain unexplained
    2.) Stops short of ruling out extraterrestrial life
    3.) Raises specter of advanced tech from China, Russia
    4.) Objects could pose a threat to national security, pilot safety
    5.) Future sightings will rely on more data, resources

Hmm...Five things to know about the UFO report

2.) Stops short of ruling out extraterrestrial life
    Doesn't rule out ghost either. Are we witnessing GHOST PLANES!?!