Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    5+ Year Old Account
    The reason why we hear "pretty sure" or other synonymous phrases ("I think", "I guess", "I reckon", "I'd wager", "probably", "maybe", "sorta", and such like) is because it is no longer acceptable to be confident in yourself and what you know. Paradoxically, it is no longer acceptable to admit you don't know. Both "I am confident that..." and "I don't know" are "trigger" phrases nowadays. Both of these phrases have been attached to "trigger" categories of our day: "confidence" is attached to "toxic" masculinity and "I don't know" has always been associated with being dumb. Neither of these statements in and of themselves exhibit the categories they've been shoehorned into.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox.

Moral of the story: be more confident and speak confidently.

I am working on that for myself and have found it takes focus in order to carefully avoid saying passe phrases like "pretty sure" and "probably".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    The reason why we hear "pretty sure" or other synonymous phrases ("I think", "I guess", "I reckon", "I'd wager", "probably", "maybe", "sorta", and such like) is because it is no longer acceptable to be confident in yourself and what you know. Paradoxically, it is no longer acceptable to admit you don't know. Both "I am confident that..." and "I don't know" are "trigger" phrases nowadays. Both of these phrases have been attached to "trigger" categories of our day: "confidence" is attached to "toxic" masculinity and "I don't know" has always been associated with being dumb. Neither of these statements in and of themselves exhibit the categories they've been shoehorned into.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox.

Moral of the story: be more confident and speak confidently.

I am working on that for myself and have found it takes focus in order to carefully avoid saying passe phrases like "pretty sure" and "probably".
    ...Uhhhh...

Okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I'm pretty sure OP got their answer.

Pretty sure that using "I believe" or anything else that does not equal 100% sure will have the same effect.

Pretty sure anything ever suggested here doesn't happen. Mostly because they usually terrible ideas. Followed by no one wants to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Such an annoying phrase, "pretty sure" is trying to cover yourself because you don't really know. You're saying go do your own research because I can't be bothered and I'm only "pretty sure" and half the time they're wrong.
    I mean... Would you prefer that people be forced to say "yes" even if they're not sure and end up being wrong? That just seems like it would lead to more problems than if they were just allowed to not be 100% certain of themselves

Adverbs...lets get rid of all of them.

Such an annoying phrase, "pretty sure" is trying to cover yourself because you don't really know. You're saying go do your own research because I can't be bothered and I'm only "pretty sure" and half the time they're wrong.
    "I'm not 100%. I might be wrong about this. I certainly hope I'm not, but I could be. I advise you going in search of an answer if you require absolute clarification".

No. Sorry. Not gonna happen. Sounds like a you problem, as in you can't be bothered to research. Maybe we should ban players that don't do research, and the phrase 'Pretty sure' will likely disappear along with it.

What exactly would you like people to say in situations where they think the may know the answer to a question, yet cannot verify that that the answer is correct?

Question: "Does little Timmy have Sonic Mario Zelda Bros on his Nintendo Master Genesis?"
    Answer, whilst thinking through the 764 games little Timmy owns: "I'm pretty sure he does."

Pretty sure this thread ended up exactly how the OP wanted it to.

15+ Year Old Account
    i'm pretty sure i haven't posted in a long time , but the OP needed an answer.
    Death to the Alliance. Death to the Horde. Death to the Living.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to say whatever I want regardless of what any jackholes on a game forum or social media have to say...
    Damn, what is this idiotic world coming to?

pretty sure you are being a tad bit ridiculous. pretty sure you shouldn't rely solely on others to answer your questions instead of doing the research yourself. I'm pretty sure you should just ignore posts that contain "pretty sure" in it. I'm pretty sure, pretty sure, pretty sure, pretty sure, pretty sure.

Perfectly named account.

I was pretty sure that when I opened this thread, nearly every post would contain the phrase "pretty sure." Thank you for not disappointing me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not something that requires a moderator's intervention.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |