Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Paying to gain something that is otherwise inaccessible in the game is literally unheard of these days. You have to go as far back as the days of Silkroad Online to even find games like that. Or the days of Aeria games.

For any OGs here that remember Allods online. At some point they introduced a system called runes. You had 3 offensive runes and 3 defensive runes. Each rune could get up to I think lvl 10? (my memory slightly fails me). Each rune level gave you several % of offensive and defensive stat multiplications. A character with lvl 10 runes vs a character with lvl 1 runes were at a MASSIVE power difference (like more than double the power). Runes were upgraded by combining them with a dust currency that you could buy in the cash shop costing several thousand euros/dollars to get all of them to lvl 10. However you could also grind in game and turn your currency to cash shop currency to upgrade the runes through grinding. A procedure that had been calculated to take over a year of daily grinding to achieve.
    So in a lot of posters opinion here this system would not be p2w because getting runes to lvl 10 in that game could be done through in game grinding despite you possibly getting pummeled by lvl 10 rune players for an entire year +.
    I played ENTIRELY too much SRO(Silkroad Online) and this is why I laugh at people when they say WoW is pay to win. Boy, you don't even know. Imagine cash shop items when you get 20% more dmg done for an hour. Or cash shop items where you can augment your weapon to literally just do 20% more damage because of Alchemy mods.... IN ADDITION to the 20% dmg scrolls. At one point i was known as "the best non premium nuker on the server" and I had to constantly fight people that spent 100$+/mo on the "free" game.

WoW being P2W is hilarious.

MMOs START at level cap....how you get there...idgaf. Boost, level yourself, whatever. No one cares about leveling.
    Last edited by SmokesTooMuch; 2021-06-28 at 07:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Those are the fields where the challenging and engaging raid mechanics for Classic are grown. See that they lay barren.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesTooMuch View Post
    I played ENTIRELY too much SRO(Silkroad Online) and this is why I laugh at people when they say WoW is pay to win. Boy, you don't even know. Imagine cash shop items when you get 20% more dmg done for an hour. Or cash shop items where you can augment your weapon to literally just do 20% more damage because of Alchemy mods.... IN ADDITION to the 20% dmg scrolls. At one point i was known as "the best non premium nuker on the server" and I had to constantly fight people that spent 100$+/mo on the "free" game.

MMOs START at level cap....how you get there...idgaf. Boost, level yourself, whatever. No one cares about leveling.
    "WoW isn't as hardcore as pay2win as other games so therefore it's not pay2win." That's literally your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesTooMuch View Post

I think you misunderstood my post. I also played silkroad and allods online. Both disgustingly p2w games. The fact that we have evolved from shameless p2w (silkroad) to mask p2w behind in game grind (allods where it takes a year+ of daily grind to achieve the power lvl of a whale) to less shameful p2w (buying gold in WoW) does not make WoW not pay to win.
    There are degrees of p2w but again for all the OGs here there was a time when people were saying that if WoW ever allowed race changes it would be p2w. Low and behold its a standard practice now that no one bats an eye about. I m on the verge with boosts but gold buying is 100% p2w for me like what the WoW token does in retail. For classic version of the game, boosts are arguably p2w as well. These are zoomer mechanics that do not belong in MMOs.
    If you do not like doing staple classic MMORPG things like leveling a character then why do you play this genre in the first place? Theres literally nothing wrong with not liking it and there are soooooo many games that do other things infinitely better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    That's utterly asinine. Once again, by that logic, p2w doesn't exist. It's pretty much universally accepted that using real money to buy ANY form of character power is p2w. You're just doing mental gymnastics to avoid saying anything negative about WoW.
    The fact this argument is still going shows it is not universally accepted. In a way you're right though, pay-2-win largely doesn't exist anymore. There was a backlash against games giving a solid advantage to players who paid extra and developers stopped doing it. The days where you can buy superior ammo for your tank or extra item slots for your character. In other words gamers won and p2w is dead.

Instead now devs sell convenience items and services because the majority of players don't care if someone with limited play time gets a leg up on the basic part of the game. You don't have to like it if you don't want, but there is no point performing mental gymnastics to call it "pay-2-win" just because you like the emotional ties to its original meaning. Well, not unless you're a YouTuber after outrage clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Actually it does. The term Pay2Win is literally because in many games you could pay Money to have character Power beyond what you could get in the game. If you can achieve it in game it isn't Pay2Win. You can achieve level 58 in game easily.
    So Blizzard could start selling mythic raid loot in the cash shop and it still wouldn't be P2W by your logic?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    So Blizzard could start selling mythic raid loot in the cash shop and it still wouldn't be P2W by your logic?
    Strictly speaking no because you wouldn't be buying something that normal players couldn't get, much like character buying back I'm Vanilla and TBC it's more of a weird situation where you're paying to not play. You could make an argument that the loot is out of reach for most players and that would make it virtually p2w.

That said if you bought Mythic loot to do the Mythic content you would be starting with a definite advantage over non-paying players so you could call this hypothetical a solid p2w situation if you wanted.

45 pages in and people still can't comprehend that this game isn't P2W.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Strictly speaking no because you wouldn't be buying something that normal players couldn't get, much like character buying back I'm Vanilla and TBC it's more of a weird situation where you're paying to not play. You could make an argument that the loot is out of reach for most players and that would make it virtually p2w.

That said if you bought Mythic loot to do the Mythic content you would be starting with a definite advantage over non-paying players so you could call this hypothetical a solid p2w situation if you wanted.
    You're answer is quite mixed. I guess it proves that everyone has a different definition of the P2W acronym. I try to simplify the subject by allocating any advantage that can be bought for IRL money as P2W.

I know it comes in various forms and degrees, getting a 58 is not that big of a deal but it is a lot of time saved which alone is valuable in an MMO setting. The fact that it's limited to one per account is a good compromise IMO and am not seeing any problems the current boost brings to the game.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    You're answer is quite mixed. I guess it proves that everyone has a different definition of the P2W acronym. I try to simplify the subject by allocating any advantage that can be bought for IRL money as P2W.

I know it comes in various forms and degrees, getting a 58 is not that big of a deal but it is a lot of time saved which alone is valuable in an MMO setting. The fact that it's limited to one per account is a good compromise IMO and am not seeing any problems the current boost brings to the game.
    I would agree with his sentiment, though, at least in the sense that I separate out:

“P2W” = literally buying items/characters unavailable in-game that provide an inherent advantage when all else is equal. eg A boosted 58 and a leveled 58.

“Shitty microtransactions” = too lazy to address content that is not engaging overall and/or not addressing them because the MTX revenue stream makes the suits happy.

WoW is 100% more the latter, but the token sort of muddies it imo.

One is not inherently worse than the other, just a different poison. The “p2w” connotation to me implies a stronger value proposition than “saves you some time and let’s you play current content”.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    One is not inherently worse than the other, just a different poison. The “p2w” connotation to me implies a stronger value proposition than “saves you some time and let’s you play current content”.
    If you read the official forums or similar sites, people are saying it takes a "casual" around 10 days /played to get to 60. At 10 hours a week thats nearly 6 months. Even at 20 hours per week, the equiv of a part time job, its 3 months. This was in classic though, not TBC, so obviously you need to take the TBC changes into account, reducing those time. "saves you some time" is a bit of an understatement, although still accurate i guess.

I know plenty of people who intended to level to 58 during the prepatch, and only got to level 40 or similar. Given how long 50-58 is, they were only half way if they were lucky. I just keep coming back to the same thing - those claiming the boost isnt a big deal and you can "easily" level to 58 in game meaning the boost is a non issue, why are we having this discussion then? Why did so many people pay Blizzard to bypass those 58 levels, unless they felt it was acceptable value for money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    If you read the official forums or similar sites, people are saying it takes a "casual" around 10 days /played to get to 60. At 10 hours a week thats nearly 6 months. Even at 20 hours per week, the equiv of a part time job, its 3 months. This was in classic though, not TBC, so obviously you need to take the TBC changes into account, reducing those time. "saves you some time" is a bit of an understatement, although still accurate i guess.

I know plenty of people who intended to level to 58 during the prepatch, and only got to level 40 or similar. Given how long 50-58 is, they were only half way if they were lucky. I just keep coming back to the same thing - those claiming the boost isnt a big deal and you can "easily" level to 58 in game meaning the boost is a non issue, why are we having this discussion then? Why did so many people pay Blizzard to bypass those 58 levels, unless they felt it was acceptable value for money?
    I’m not intending to devalue it or make it seem insignificant, but if that time you’re paying to skip is a true obstacle, they’ll struggle just as much (or more) in TBC. I have more than 10 days played at 70 and I still have a mountain of stuff to do because a lot of that time is just T4 and farming consumes.

Like the other poster said, it’s semantics. To me, p2w is a death sentence, where this type of continuous MTX is just death by a thousand cuts.

They’re both bad for the game and a sign that they’re out of ideas.

I’m not intending to devalue it or make it seem insignificant, but if that time you’re paying to skip is a true obstacle, they’ll struggle just as much (or more) in TBC. I have more than 10 days played at 70 and I still have a mountain of stuff to do because a lot of that time is just T4 and farming consumes.

Like the other poster said, it’s semantics. To me, p2w is a death sentence, where this type of continuous MTX is just death by a thousand cuts.

They’re both bad for the game and a sign that they’re out of ideas.
    Ironic - A clever person can easily see that if it is a quick drop and a sudden stop, or death by 1000 cuts, either way you die in the end and both were in fact a death sentence. If you have played 240 hours at 70, yes TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY HOURS, and still have a mountain of things to do, then you have wasted most of those 240 hours.

so in 28 days, you have leveld from 60 to 70, and put in 240+ hours at 70.......in 28 days........Just think this through people - that means close to one half of the available hours of your life in the last 28 days have been spent sitting at your computer playing wow. 7 days a week. ......thats you spending OVER 70 hours per week playing wow. You do you man, its your life, but no wonder you dont think it is significant when you are spending 70+ hours per week playing the game. Many country have labour laws that should you be getting paid to play, this would be illegal because it far exceeds their maximum work hours / week.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-06-28 at 09:03 PM.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    It objectively is pay to win.

That is all.
    No, it's really not. TBC content starts at 58. For people coming in just to play the TBC content, this is great for them, because they don't have to level a toon through vanilla. Maybe they didn't want to play vanilla but wanted just to do Outland? It's a 14 year old game. There are no world-firsts. There's nothing there except nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    No, it's really not. TBC content starts at 58. For people coming in just to play the TBC content, this is great for them, because they don't have to level a toon through vanilla. Maybe they didn't want to play vanilla but wanted just to do Outland? It's a 14 year old game. There are no world-firsts. There's nothing there except nostalgia.
    Just to be clear, P2W is always "great" for those who pay for it...that's kind of the point. I only see a couple of people legitimately trying to claim the boost isnt a good thing. I do see a lot of people saying "its a good system, but it is clearly P2W"

After playing this game since the beginning, I'm still trying to figure out how to "win" World of Warcraft....

Ironic - A clever person can easily see that if it is a quick drop and a sudden stop, or death by 1000 cuts, either way you die in the end and both were in fact a death sentence. If you have played 240 hours at 70, yes TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY HOURS, and still have a mountain of things to do, then you have wasted most of those 240 hours.

so in 28 days, you have leveld from 60 to 70, and put in 240+ hours at 70.......in 28 days........Just think this through people - that means close to one half of the available hours of your life in the last 28 days have been spent sitting at your computer playing wow. 7 days a week. ......thats you spending OVER 70 hours per week playing wow. You do you man, its your life, but no wonder you dont think it is significant when you are spending 70+ hours per week playing the game. Many country have labour laws that should you be getting paid to play, this would be illegal because it far exceeds their maximum work hours / week.
    There’s a clear difference between the two, but you were too excited to make ignorant personal attacks about how I spend my time in game (the real irony) to think it through.

None of that time was wasted. A lot of it was spent with friends in groups or raids, but the solo time is just farming shit so I can sell at peak (now) and not worry about it for a while.

There’s a clear difference between the two, but you were too excited to make ignorant personal attacks about how I spend my time in game (the real irony) to think it through.

None of that time was wasted. A lot of it was spent with friends in groups or raids, but the solo time is just farming shit so I can sell at peak (now) and not worry about it for a while.
    The point im making is that you MUST understand that someone spending 70+ hours PER WEEK as you are playing wow is an extreme - and leagues away from an average player. This perspective you have, spending close to double what many do with a full time job just playing wow, shapes your perspective in regards to what is an isnt an advantage?

And no, the end result is the same, so there is no difference at all in this context. To be fair though, i dont really understand what you are trying to say with this analogy anyway.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-06-28 at 09:32 PM.

The point im making is that you MUST understand that someone spending 70+ hours PER WEEK as you are playing wow is an extreme - and leagues away from an average player. This perspective you have, spending close to double what many do with a full time job just playing wow, shapes your perspective in regards to what is an isnt an advantage?

And no, the end result is the same, so there is no difference at all in this context. To be fair though, i dont really understand what you are trying to say with this analogy anyway.
    No, it doesn’t really change my perspective because it was the same opinion I held/posted before launch. I averaged 80 hours a week at work for 15 months through the pandemic, and they gave me a massive chunk of paid time off, which I chose to use some of for the launch. Normally I’m a 10-20 hour/week player.

The analogy is in reference to an immediate death vs a slow bleed.

No, it doesn’t really change my perspective because it was the same opinion I held/posted before launch. I averaged 80 hours a week at work for 15 months through the pandemic, and they gave me a massive chunk of paid time off, which I chose to use some of for the launch. Normally I’m a 10-20 hour/week player.

The analogy is in reference to an immediate death vs a slow bleed.
    So what im trying to clarify, is this: You have suggested a game with obvious MTX, but MTX that is lots of little MTX that you know will still kill the game but it might take some time, is NOT the same as egregious MTX that you suggest would kill a game immediately?

So what im trying to clarify, is this: You have suggested a game with obvious MTX, but MTX that is lots of little MTX that you know will still kill the game but it might take some time, is NOT the same as egregious MTX that you suggest would kill a game immediately?
    If only we had examples to look at. Maybe a game that offered something unique and powerful (and unattainable in game) that caused a mass exodus, compared to a game that slowly introduced a few “niceties” and saw steady attrition over… let’s say 10 years.