Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post
    Besides, even in the novel, the Kaldorei cannot use their full power. They can only use a small part and newbies. I mean, the general who defends has just been fired and I think she had never been to the fight or something like that.
    That is part of the point, mind. Horde-side Sylvanas and Saurfang's whole plan is premised on distracting the bulk of the Night Elf military so they can handle the newbies and said newbies still put up a major fight. This just isn't gotten across.

The teams who write one part or another just confuse me. I can't believe that the writers who's whole story is premised around how any and all grievance is bad and the product of outside interference are the same writers who would base the main drama of a high camp DBZ fight on one character's drive for vengeance and another's loss of a loved one.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

I mean, I went in expecting some heavy DBZ shenanigans and got a pretty mild Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Sylvanas out of the shadows is something I'll never be able to understand. The Nathanos jab was so disgusting I can't even begin to process it. And probably I won't, if this is the final straw that leads Sylvanas to break her ties witht he Jailer.

Imagine fucking Nathanos and the power of love redeeming Sylvanas of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Imagine fucking Nathanos and the power of love redeeming Sylvanas of all things.
    It is after all the greatest power in the warcraft universe, human potential.

15+ Year Old Account
    No idea why anyone is surprised Sylvanas cares about Nathanos. Duh. No shit. She says it everywhere. Her general disposition about people is often apathy, but it has always been very clear she loves him. Or whatever aspect of love she is capable of, she feels for him.

Further, it was never explained what their last exchange meant. They said something about, when the time comes there can be no hesitation - until we meet again, some shit. So there was obviously a plan to reconvene at some point and they haven't. Obviously the story is told from the POV that people aren't going back and forth from Shadowlands and Azeroth like the players are. Her expectation was likely that he was still "alive" - and if he is dead, they would've met by now unless he was specifically hidden. That should not be so controversial as it seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    She's not trying to strangle Sylvanas there. She intends to unleash the deadly power of the Night Warrior to destroy the both of them. Only to have Elune's power fade.
    I concede that i am not an expert on how to hold down a person, but don't you attempt to secure their arms / hands in such a situation in order to prevent them from struggling?

I don't know, aren't there much better ways to bring this across other than
    (1) a untranslated line that requires subtitles to be turned on, which is then only on the screen for a second
    (2) realizing that Tyrande attempts to hold down Sylvanas to blow herself and Sylvanas up, despite using a grab that is pretty much always used to strangle a person on a person that does not have to breathe

Couldn't have Tyrande conjured up some *elune magic shackles*, start some incantation, and both suddenly fizzle into nothing rather than rely on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It's an easy to miss but very important detail that Tyrande is trying to kill herself and Sylvanas there at the end.

"Elune, it is time". Followed by Darnassian words that translate to "My Life for Hers". She's not trying to strangle Sylvanas there. She intends to unleash the deadly power of the Night Warrior to destroy the both of them. Only to have Elune's power fade.

We can speculate why. She could have used it up, as Sylvanas seems to conclude. Or more likely, Elune didn't want her to die. She's gone through great lengths to protect Tyrande's life in the past. Either way, Tyrande dominated this fight, and would have one. It's only because Tyrande's suicide failed, that Sylvanas survived.
    Well I surely hope so. How asinine is it to choke a Banshee - the Banshee Queen - in the realm of death? And I'm glossing over Sylvanas gasping for air because come on.

Thanks for the translation by the way. This gives some much needed context.
    I'd have loved some more moon boom boom, but to hell with all the other Night Warriors and long live Tyrande.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    That is part of the point, mind. Horde-side Sylvanas and Saurfang's whole plan is premised on distracting the bulk of the Night Elf military so they can handle the newbies and said newbies still put up a major fight. This just isn't gotten across.

The teams who write one part or another just confuse me. I can't believe that the writers who's whole story is premised around how any and all grievance is bad and the product of outside interference are the same writers who would base the main drama of a high camp DBZ fight on one character's drive for vengeance and another's loss of a loved one.
    Really that explains only the army.
    It doesn't explain why Tyrande isn't there or why they didn't call Maiev or why the Dranei didn't show up.

I mean, even in the novel, it is known that the Kaldorei are being stopped so that the Horde wins and that is bad. It is not that they win by strategy or by being stronger or by luck. They win by Script, that's why it's a Vasia victory.

Here at least if it seems that they win by strategy. (It is the same all the time that is another topic)

Tyrande really did nothing, but I guess Blizzard figured they needed to throw Night Elf fans a practically useless bone again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Tyrande really did nothing, but I guess Blizzard figured they needed to throw Night Elf fans a practically useless bone again.
    And in this bone sure as death and taxes you get some much needed Nathanos exposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    This time around, she got one little gloat in, instead of being roasted the entire time so progress I guess.

People: FFXIV is too anime!
    WoW:

World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Really that explains only the army.
    It doesn't explain why Tyrande isn't there or why they didn't call Maiev or why the Dranei didn't show up.

I mean, even in the novel, it is known that the Kaldorei are being stopped so that the Horde wins and that is bad. It is not that they win by strategy or by being stronger or by luck. They win by Script, that's why it's a Vasia victory.

Here at least if it seems that they win by strategy. (It is the same all the time that is another topic)
    The Draenei thing is impossible to cover and a product of Blizzard not wanting to bother with the implications of the Draenei having a spaceship or equivalent powers like Nightborne at-will teleportation. Tyrande was actually away for most of the war in Stormwind until returning at the very last moment, with Malf being the one to hold the line. Like all Warcraft wars the inclusion of portals completely fucks any kind of logistics or logic of the encounter since everyone should be able to go back and forth at will, but that's mostly in the Golden-penned Alliance equivalent. The entire first third of the Horde version goes into the shenanigans involved in getting the Alliance army to clear out so the Horde have said opportunity. It's about as earned as BFA war gets, more so than any of the cinematics which mostly rely on extremely convenient timing.

@Combatbulter

In a few expansions Night Elves will have every zone to their name instead of just 1/4th+ per expansion and their characters will graduate from mildly irritating the baddie to mildly injuring him. In 2040 they'll get their first win, with a human in the background so it doesn't blow your mind too much.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tyrande taunting Sylvanas over Nathanos brings back a plot point I thought they'd ditched entirely and makes her kill of Nathanos actually meaningful and she was on the offensive and beating Sylvanas in all aspects right up until her batteries ran out.
    With this little tidbit I wouldn't be surprised if Nathanos was used to forge Anduins mourneblade.

The Draenei thing is impossible to cover and a product of Blizzard not wanting to bother with the implications of the Draenei having a spaceship or equivalent powers like Nightborne at-will teleportation. Tyrande was actually away for most of the war in Stormwind until returning at the very last moment, with Malf being the one to hold the line. Like all Warcraft wars the inclusion of portals completely fucks any kind of logistics or logic of the encounter since everyone should be able to go back and forth at will, but that's mostly in the Golden-penned Alliance equivalent. The entire first third of the Horde version goes into the shenanigans involved in getting the Alliance army to clear out so the Horde have said opportunity. It's about as earned as BFA war gets, more so than any of the cinematics which mostly rely on extremely convenient timing.
    So we agree that the War of Thorns does not have the tone of this cinematic.
    Of a "use all our power" or something like that has kinematics.
    The war is more like a Blizzard is not letting me fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    With this little tidbit I wouldn't be surprised if Nathanos was used to forge Anduins mourneblade.
    That'd be absolutely hilarious, but Danuser doesn't have the balls. It'll be Arthas or, the writer's favorite, fucking nothing.

3+ Year Old Account
    English
    Is it just me or does it look like Tyrande has tusks in this shot?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, i didn't even realize the silliness of chocking a dead person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Sylvanas out of the shadows is something I'll never be able to understand.
    It is Voldemort reference

That'd be absolutely hilarious, but Danuser doesn't have the balls. It'll be Arthas or, the writer's favorite, fucking nothing.
    Isn't he infused in some necklace of Sylvana's loot table?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

In a few expansions Night Elves will have every zone to their name instead of just 1/4th+ per expansion and their characters will graduate from mildly irritating the baddie to mildly injuring him. In 2040 they'll get their first win, with a human in the background so it doesn't blow your mind too much.
    And they will achieve this victory, by constructing pumpkin balista, thus using the greatest skill the humans taught them

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Is it just me or does it look like Tyrande has tusks in this shot?
    she is slowly going troll

But no, blizz have this fetish of putting giant fangs o tusks on elves in the cinematics/art
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-06-29 at 11:56 PM.