Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Who am I stealing from by emulating Switch?
    Nintendo?

Not sure why i needed to specify that?

Edit:
    + from the companies of whatever games you play on the emulator obviously
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2021-06-30 at 02:37 PM.

I'm in a weird place. I really do not think PC gaming has a gigantic advantage anymore.

It used to be graphics, exclusives, and mods that gave PC such a huge advantage.

Now it is just mods, and that is only a competitive advantage, the consoles also have competitive advantages too. I'm not talking about what COULD be done with a PC, I'm talking about how I actually use my PC.

First, my PC runs in ultrawide and the monitor has HDR, but I've never actually played in HDR. The PC runs at a variable frame rate with g-sync and runs about 160fps. It doesn't move to the television or the couch for me. Local streaming sucks. I've actually bought a very expensive HDMI cable and ran it to the TV which I have played on exactly twice....possible but not convenient. One example of It Takes Two and local co-op. Such an amazing experience. I personally am not setup to do couch co-op on PC, so I bought on PS5.

My PS5 runs most games with HDR, in what looks like 4k, and 60fps when in performance mode. Not every game, but the point is the systems are much closer before when the PC did pretty much what the PC still does and game consoles were like sub 1080p. Take it a step further, and I suspect that many or even most PC only gamers have never played a game in HDR at all? The PS5 controller features are also a big competitive advantage for me, honestly, it is pretty awesome. I think one may be able to use those features on some PC games as well? Not sure.

My Switch is completely portable. I can take it anywhere at anytime and play Hades on it. That is considerable.

My PS5 and Switch just have better games, imo. Not saying there aren't a ton of great games on PC. They just aren't as good as a handful of Switch or PS5+PS4 exclusives, IMO. My favorite game from last year was Hades though. I'm not saying PC doesn't have good games, I'm simply saying that consoles generally have most of those games too, plus a big corporation of high quality development making exclusive content for them and them alone(though consoles are slowly losing this competitive advantage as well).

The PC has "the most" exclusives, but if you look at the quality of that talking point, they really have Crusider Kings 3 and WoW and a bunch of like freeware that still counts I guess. Blizzard was once the 1st party of PC and really elevate the platform over consoles, but not so much anymore. Now, Half-Life Alyx and VR in general are a huge competitive advantage on PC, I'd say bigger than the graphics advantage.

That said, I have a 2080 so I am good with that and don't need to worry about upgrading for a while, but I just ordered a 5800x and an Asus Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi and 32gb in 2 dimms of b-die 3600mhzcl16. I spent a lot of money upgrade and I'm doing it as we speak, so I still do enjoy gaming on PC and will continue to do so and upgrade my PC for many years.

Mods have become the premier competitive advantage on PC, and mods are incredible, so PC gamers never had anything to worry about, honestly. Basically things are getting closer between the platforms, and that isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-06-30 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Nintendo?

Not sure why i needed to specify that?

Edit:
    + from the companies of whatever games you play on the emulator obviously
    Emulators need BIOS from real consoles to work, so it's a moot point. Piracy has nothing to do with emulation itself.

Also Nintendo are welcome to port their games to a platform that can effortlessly run them even with major slowdown of emulating hardware, I'll gladly buy them. If they don't want my money, it's only their fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Emulators need BIOS from real consoles to work, so it's a moot point. Piracy has nothing to do with emulation itself.

Also Nintendo are welcome to port their games to a platform that can effortlessly run them even with major slowdown of emulating hardware, I'll gladly buy them. If they don't want my money, it's only their fault.
    So you steal. Gotcha. Really mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    So you steal. Gotcha. Really mature.
    Buying overpriced Chinese tablet with terrible screen and faulty gamepad just to play, like, three games I want in majestic 360-540p resolution and with exorbitant pricing would really be immature. I'd rather play them in native 1080p and with my DS4.
    Looking for Raid.

I have always had Both. FPS belong on Consoles and that is where I exclusively play them as well as ARK. I play WOW on PC and that has been the sole purpose for having one of each. Ill get a PS5 eventually, but my Release PS4 is still going strong 8 years later so I keep playing on it.

I use my PC mostly for MMOs and games where PC is better.

For every "big" game I buy it on console. I want it to "just work" and really can't be fucking arsed with dicking about with graphics drivers and random crashes to desktop and settings menus.

I've got a shitload of PC games, but it's mostly cheap or bundled stuff, and if I want to play that on the OLED TV I use the Shield Pro and stream it.

I do wish each platform was a bit more open about streaming to each other. It would be great to stream my PS4/PC games to the Switch or the PC games to the PS4 so I wouldn't need all these extra boxes to make things work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    It's funny to me when people who clearly don't play games always say things like this. Pro tip: the switch and ps4/5 have 1st and 3rd party exclusives that aren't on pc!
    Its more funny tbh when people acting as if they were a video games guru (and even going so far naming themself "video games" lul) and trying to justify the handful of 1st party games a playstation has, or even funnier the shitty copy/pasted games nintendo has to offer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Some of us are plebs and cant aim with your thumbs. >.>
    Well you should play shooters on pc. But outside of doom and the re remakes, it's a dead genre

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Its more funny tbh when people acting as if they were a video games guru (and even going so far naming themself "video games" lul) and trying to justify the handful of 1st party games a playstation has, or even funnier the shitty copy/pasted games nintendo has to offer.
    Nerd: Nintendo games suck
    Me: have you played any of them, especially outside of mario?
    Nerd: *adjusts nerd glasses* pftt no

/shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you should play shooters on pc. But outside of doom and the re remakes, it's a dead genre

- - - Updated - - -

Nerd: Nintendo games suck
    Me: have you played any of them, especially outside of mario?
    Nerd: *adjusts nerd glasses* pftt no

/shrug
    Nerd: nintendo doesnt copy/paste
    Me: mario
    Nerd: nooooooooo you cant use that!

Wow look, i can do it too.
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

15+ Year Old Account
    Nerd: nintendo doesnt copy/paste
    Me: mario
    Nerd: nooooooooo you cant use that!

Wow look, i can do it too.
    Explain to me the copy paste between galaxy 2, 3d world and odyssey. Ill read your post even if it's an entire page

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain to me the copy paste between galaxy 2, 3d world and odyssey. Ill read your post even if it's an entire page
    Explain to me that there IS a difference, lol why should i do your job to convince me otherwise haha. Ill read your post even if it's an entire page.

15+ Year Old Account
    Explain to me that there IS a difference, lol why should i do your job to convince me otherwise haha. Ill read your post even if it's an entire page.
    You'd know if you played them instead of smugly declaring so with nothing to back it up. Not that i expected you to present anything since you don't actually have an opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd know if you played them instead of smugly declaring so with nothing to back it up. Not that i expected you to present anything since you don't actually have an opinion
    Yeah, sure. If you say so it must be true, i would totally belive instantly someone with a nintendo avatar and sig and know they would absolutely not be biased.

I take a, 'why not both' approach... I like to play games. I use whatever device the game is on. Some times it's on the couch... sometimes it's at my desk... rare occasions it's on my phone. I prefer the feel of a controller when playing as opposed to keyboard & mouse as I use the latter at work all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, sure. If you say so it must be true, i would totally belive instantly someone with a nintendo avatar and sig and know they would absolutely not be biased.
    Most nintendo games are either mediocre or just plain bad. However, when they're good, they're incredible like xenoblade and odyssey. I'm sooo biased, huh?

Just to clarify, you think all Mario platformers are the same game with new content?

My opinion is that judging a game or series of games without playing them or understanding them is not a good way to review games. I would take that review with a grain of salt.

They do, but you havent paid for it, so its stealing.

You also steal all the games you dont pay for but play.

There is no way around it - its stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    They do, but you havent paid for it, so its stealing.

You also steal all the games you dont pay for but play.

There is no way around it - its stealing.
    It's as much stealing as second hand market, Nintendo gets $0 from both.
    Looking for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    So you went for the awfull early AMD ZEN budget builds, with not only poor performance for gaming but also lot of stability issues - and thats your take for console switch, that your awfull build was performing poorly and had BSODs - because you choose the wrong budget brand?

Thats not "PC gaming", thats going with a budget build from the underdog brand and dealing with the consequences of your choice.

If you enjoy gaming on the foolproof console, thats great.

Do you really think that getting crashes and BSODs regularly is "normal" in PC gaming?
    The biggest competitive advantage the consoles have is uniform hardware.

When speaking for PC gaming you can't just claim the best PCs, you also have to deal with the worst. Cherrypicking only the best non-budget gaming computers as an example of true pc gaming brings up the second and third biggest competitive advantage of consoles, which is price(which to be fair is largely negated over time by requirements to pay for online services like PS+ or from digital game sales which are getting much better on consoles, again, to be fair), followed by convenience.

Not all gamers want to become PC builder pros.

My experience, after gaming on PC and consoles for many years, is that generally, PC games crash more frequently than console games. Specifically, this is due to user error, driver issues, poor optimization, or any other number of symptoms that spring forth from non-uniform hardware. Not much more. In fact, I would be hard pressed to say for certain, but I would definitely give the edge to consoles on the stability front. Each platform has pros and cons.

PC used to be way out in front, had much much better graphics and equal or even better exclusive developers, mods, ect. Things have equaled out a lot, and I think PC is probably still ahead a bit, but consoles have come a long way.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-06-30 at 08:10 PM.