Poll: What is your stance on extraterrestrial intelligent life and the Fermi Paradox?

Thread: Aliens

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Doesn't rule out ghost either. Are we witnessing GHOST PLANES!?!
    That'd be a relevant point if the report were about ghosts.

Short answer is, from the math of it, even with lightspeed space travel, we'd never meaningfully contact each other. The universe is incomprehensibly big. They might very well be extinct by the time we reach their civilization we see 1 million lightyears away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Short answer is, from the math of it, even with lightspeed space travel, we'd never meaningfully contact each other. The universe is incomprehensibly big. They might very well be extinct by the time we reach their civilization we see 1 million lightyears away.
    Unless... *drumroll* we do manage to make some kind of FTL travel. As of now it is theoretically possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Unless... *drumroll* we do manage to make some kind of FTL travel.
    Ok, i'm strugling with english here, is FTL, Faster then Light?

As of now it is theoretically possible.
    With our current technology and math understanding its impossible to accelerate matter to the speed of light. As soon as we reach 99% of it it requires even more energy to go faster, so we actually can't get to 100%, ceartainly not faster then it.
    Wormholes in the other hand, have been proven to exist inside Black Holes singularities, and it might be possible to replicate one, if..., we gather enought energy.

Dude, stop reading sci-fi, you confusing reality with fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post

With our current technology and math understanding its impossible to accelerate matter to the speed of light. As soon as we reach 99% of it it requires even more energy to go faster, so we actually can't get to 100%, ceartainly not faster then it.
    Wormholes in the other hand, have been proven to exist inside Black Holes singularities, and it might be possible to replicate one, if..., we gather enought energy.

Yes, FTL as in faster-than-light.

You told me to stop confusing reality with fiction while at the same time you mentioned that wormholes exist. First, they are not proven, just speculative. Second, yes, I obviously did not mean trying to do the impossible and accelerating faster than speed of light, but attempting to work around it (again, wormholes, Alcubierre drive, etc.) - which scientifically might be achievable.
    Take that haters.

I don't understand why arguments around the speed of light even exist. I imagine it to sound like humans from thousands of years ago arguing you can't travel faster than horseback.

I believe there is life out there. From bacteria to even intelligent species like ourselves.

I do not believe any of them have travelled here, much less made contact.

Obviously anything is possible. We are already reasonably sure FTL travel is possible theoretically. but even if there is some space faring civilization out there, that doesn't mean they care abut us or are even reasonably close enough to visit. Space is big.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, FTL as in faster-than-light.

You told me to stop confusing reality with fiction while at the same time you mentioned that wormholes exist. First, they are not proven, just speculative. Second, yes, I obviously did not mean trying to do the impossible and accelerating faster than speed of light, but attempting to work around it (again, wormholes, Alcubierre drive, etc.) - which scientifically might be achievable.
    Wormhole its not the same has FTL, its actually about creating a shortcut betwin two points.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I don't understand why arguments around the speed of light even exist. I imagine it to sound like humans from thousands of years ago arguing you can't travel faster than horseback.
    Lets say we mankind have done enought work to realise that its not possible. For god sake, we already managed to accelerate particles at around 98% the speed of light, and the result is always the same, to increase velocity, you always required to add more energy. Its not about math, but about a proven fact.

10+ Year Old Account

Youre not wrong but a physicist would also say there's more than enough room for our understanding of physics to shift. If our current model holds, FTL is impossible. Hell, humanity is likely to die in this solar system unless we build some massive arks. Some Mass Effect/Quarian type setup.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Wormhole its not the same has FTL, its actually about creating a shortcut betwin two points.
    Brah, we call FTL everything that lets us move from one place to another faster than it would take light to do so. That does include all the wormhole stuff.
    Take that haters.

Lets say we mankind have done enought work to realise that its not possible. For god sake, we already managed to accelerate particles at around 98% the speed of light, and the result is always the same, to increase velocity, you always required to add more energy. Its not about math, but about a proven fact.
    This is exactly what I'm referring to. Someone on TV says we can't go faster than light because it's not possible, therefore aliens can't visit Earth. Meanwhile, time and time again over the course of just human history we have figured out how to do amazing things that didn't seem possible at first. Traveling across the galaxy very well may have nothing to do with the speed of light.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is exactly what I'm referring to. Someone on TV says we can't go faster than light because it's not possible, therefore aliens can't visit Earth.
    Not someone on TV, several guy's at particle accelerators... Doing their jobs based on empirical evidences.

Not someone on TV, several guy's at particle accelerators... Doing their jobs based on empirical evidences.
    Who don't know what technology humans will have thousands of years from now. Then just imagine intelligent alien life that's been around for potentially millions or billions of years.

This makes the argument of "space is too big" and "speed of light" completely pointless. It's fine if they don't want to think aliens have visited us. But using those points as reasons why they haven't are ridiculous.

I'd sooner believe we are in a "space nature reserve" that's controlled by one group of aliens and no one else is allowed inside before I'd believe it's due to a lack of technological advancement over the course of 13+ billion years.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2021-07-02 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who don't know what technology humans will have thousands of years from now.
    True, but one thing we have sure about that, we won't have any technology that breaks the laws of phisics. I'm sure that once we unify common physics with quantic physics, the results of a lot of calculations will be diferent. The problem of FTL travel is that it breaks the basic law of the universe. The requirement of energy for accelerating matter to the SL is infinite, and we live in a universe were the energy at the moment of the Big Bang was finite.

Then just imagine intelligent alien life that's been around for potentially millions or billions of years.
    people will find stupid points as answers for their beliefs, did you know the ISS and even planet Venus are the most common observation of supposed UFO's. People will use their lack of knowledge to justify unplausable things.

This makes the argument of "space is too big" and "speed of light" completely pointless. It's fine if they don't want to think aliens have visited us. But using those points as reasons why they haven't are ridiculous.
    The concept for us not have being visited yet, according to the law's of phisics its not ridiculus, its actually the plausable.

I'd sooner believe we are in a "space nature reserve" that's controlled by one group of aliens and no one else is allowed inside before I'd believe it's due to a lack of technological advancement over the course of 13+ billion years.
    Don't get me wron, i do believe in Aliens, i just don't believe they would spent a ton of energy just to give a look at our world.

I don't think any laws have to be broken. The speed of light may not matter one bit in order for someone to travel across the galaxy or universe. It may not even require that much effort. This is why this particular kind of argument doesn't make any sense to me.

Imagine me saying I wanted to immediately speak to friend A who is far away. Friend B, who is right next to me, says it's not possible because it would take a long time to travel to friend A. So I pull out my phone and immediately speak to friend A.

To me, all of the people, even scientists on these shows, arguing that aliens aren't likely to have visited (or it's impossible) because of the speed of light and the size of the universe are friend B.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any laws have to be broken. The speed of light may not matter one bit in order for someone to travel across the galaxy or universe. It may not even require that much effort. This is why this particular kind of argument doesn't make any sense to me.

Imagine me saying I wanted to immediately speak to friend A who is far away. Friend B, who is right next to me, says it's not possible because it would take a long time to travel to friend A. So I pull out my phone and immediately speak to friend A.

To me, all of the people, even scientists on these shows, arguing that aliens aren't likely to have visited (or it's impossible) because of the speed of light and the size of the universe are friend B.
    Except phones don't break any law of phisics. Now imagine friend A is on the Moon, you would be able to speak with your friend with 1 second of delay, that is the time light takes to arrive to the Moon coming from Earth, it's not instant.

Radiawaves use one of the 4 forces of nature, the electromagnetic force, which is carried by photons, you know photons has light.

Except phones don't break any law of phisics. Now imagine friend A is on the Moon, you would be able to speak with your friend with 1 second of delay, that is the time light takes to arrive to the Moon coming from Earth, it's not instant.

Radiawaves use one of the 4 forces of nature, the electromagnetic force, which is carried by photons, you know photons has light.
    Right, phones don't break the laws of physics. Neither would the technology used to travel across the galaxy without going faster than the speed of light. That's my whole point.

The speed of light thing keeps being brought up when it may not factor into the equation at all. It could be completely irrelevant.

Kibda laughable to think aliens would have science and technology that would be comprehensible by human beings here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Kibda laughable to think aliens would have science and technology that would be comprehensible by human beings here.
    On the contrary, a person is a universal explainer. If something really exists then it must be explicable. Saying there can be aliens that can do things beyond human comprehension is no different than saying there can be a God that can do things beyond human comprehension. Both claims are nothing more than an appeal to supernatural inscrutability.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-07-02 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    On the contrary, a person is a universal explainer. If something really exists then it must be explicable. Saying there can be aliens that can do things beyond human comprehension is no different than saying there can be a God that can do things beyond human comprehension. Both claims are nothing more than an appeal to supernatural inscrutability.
    Please. You make half-assed claims...when they aren't wild and far out, of science that you can't explain...and worse, deride the very science you claim to believe.