Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it really "Scheduled" Maintenance if.....

No one knows about it until the servers start shutting down and then the message pops up for it? Seems more like "Unscheduled last minute of shit we dun messed up" Maintenance

It's been another hour and I still can't sign in. I expected more threads about this or at least a timeframe on when to expect it to be over.

edit: servers seem to be up now, huzzah!
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2021-06-30 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    No one knows about it until the servers start shutting down and then the message pops up for it? Seems more like "Unscheduled last minute of shit we dun messed up" Maintenance
    I think it's more "expected" rather than "scheduled."

But yeah, it's shit they messed up on, lol.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The server I play on, was up almost five hours before the expected time so....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The server I play on, was up almost five hours before the expected time so....
    I meant todays, not yesterday

The maintenance was on the launcher and in the Breaking News column this morning and last night
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

It's scheduled unscheduled maintenance.

In other words, the inexorable fallibility of the human beings working at Blizzard yet again caused a failure to uphold the unwavering expectations of its playerbase. Also something something Bobby Kotick's yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post

In other words, the inexorable fallibility of the human beings working at Blizzard yet again caused a failure to uphold the unwavering expectations of its playerbase. Also something something Bobby Kotick's yacht.
    Disappointing lack of MMO developers and CEOs of multi-national companies in the thread telling us they know better so far. Slow day.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post

I write software for a living (not in the gaming industry because I have a modicum of self respect)

It is honestly mind boggling how gamers just don't give a shit. Some fuck ups really take more than a couple of hours to fix. No amount of manpower and money is gonna save you from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    I write software for a living (not in the gaming industry because I have a modicum of self respect)

It is honestly mind boggling how gamers just don't give a shit. Some fuck ups really take more than a couple of hours to fix. No amount of manpower and money is gonna save you from that.
    a HUGE Company like Blizzard has the capability to do massive amounts of testing before implementing something, so a high quality of product is expected.
    What you are saying is just wrong and shows and bad our society is becoming by accecting low quality terrible products and services, even when we are paying a lot of money for product.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    a HUGE Company like Blizzard has the capability to do massive amounts of testing before implementing something, so a high quality of product is expected.
    What you are saying is just wrong and shows and bad our society is becoming by accecting low quality terrible products and services, even when we are paying a lot of money for product.
    Spoken like someone who has zero experience with professional software engineering. There are software companies 20 x as large as ATVI, yet none of those release complex software without bugs and problems. If what you are saying is true, why is that? Why doesn't a single company just "test moar" to have a massive competitive advantage?

I think the availability of WoW could be higher, but it is not true that it would be possible to meet the unrealistic expectations of entitled gamers who have no objective understanding of why there will always be problems.

There isn't a SINGLE software company in the world that would satisfy you.

Have you ever worked in a huge software project? Writing programs isn't a licensed, well regulated job like traditional engineerings. Even some of the most regulated, with well tested methodologies technologies fail hard. Sometimes it is because the company itself is bad. Sometimes it really is a fair mistake.

You expect perfection out of gaming companies? Then I hope you are happy with voting with your wallet because those content draughts would last way, waaaaaaaaaaay longer than they do right now.

Also, throwing more hands at QA doesn't mean you'll never have mistakes.

a HUGE Company like Blizzard has the capability to do massive amounts of testing before implementing something
    One tiny thing can throw off whole lines of code.

and shows and bad our society is becoming by accecting low quality terrible products and services
    Society whines about the smallest inconvenience, welcome to the forums, let me introduce you to my friend Karen.

even when we are paying a lot of money for product.
    No one is doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkeshall View Post
    One tiny thing can throw off whole lines of code.

Society whines about the smallest inconvenience, welcome to the forums, let me introduce you to my friend Karen.

No one is doing this.
    Tell that as a engineer that designed the bridge that collapsed whoops 1 tiny mistake in my calculation guys np.

People should complain, quality issues is not acceptable in a product like wow from a company like blizzard. If they where 5 people and earned a couple thousand every day yeah maybe, but this is blizzard.......

We are paying a monthly sub to play the game it becomes alot of money very fast.....

NO company can ever test enough to get everything before implementing anything. Never could never can.
    Not even Microsoft and Apple can do that.
    What your comment just shows the pure entitlement for perfection which is neither realistic or fair.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    NO company can ever test enough to get everything before implementing anything. Never could never can.
    What your comment just shows the pure entitlement for perfection which is neither realistic or fair.
    This is not thru we saw far more polished product in the 90s than we ever see today from far smaller companies and teams.

I think it's fair to be critical that test isn't really testing for a lot of companies anymore. I remember being invited to a beta or alpha in the late 90s and early 2000s and you actually were given tasks to execute and test. Most the people in the tests were either power users or highly experienced users of the brand. Now this doesn't mean bugs never slipped though or perfection was achieved but it was actually tested, feedback taken in, discussion took place, and then it was tested again and again.

Nowadays just about every alpha or beta I get into is pretty much a press event. It's filled with streamers and youtubers that are there to generate content and not test much. Sure, if they happen across a bug they will report it but in general thier purpose is to advertise themselves with a "look what I got" and at the same time push a product passively. While others push the product aggressively. So laser focus testing is replaced with random happen stance in the name of hype these days. Not to much specific driven testing, not a lot of discussion with testers aside from broad bullet points, and in general bug reports go mostly ignored.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-07-02 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I think it's fair to be critical that test isn't really testing for a lot of companies anymore. I remember being invited to a beta or alpha in the late 90s and early 2000s and you actually were given tasks to execute and test. Most the people in the tests were either power users or highly experienced users of the brand. Now this doesn't mean bugs never slipped though or perfection was achieved but it was actually tested, feedback taken in, discussion took place, and then it was tested again and again.

Nowadays just about every alpha or beta I get into is pretty much a press event. It's filled with streamers and youtubers that are there to generate content and not test much. Sure, if they happen across a bug they will report it but in general thier purpose is to advertise themselves with a "look what I got" and at the same time push a product passively. While others push the product aggressively. So laser focus testing is replaced with random happen stance in the name of hype these days. Not to much specific driven testing, not a lot of discussion with testers aside from broad bullet points, and in general bug reports go mostly ignored.
    I don't think that is true tbh.
    First, programms in general have been a good deal more simple in the early 2000 and the 90s. Look at games like Baldursgate 2. Release 2001 i think. It does not have that many mechanics. Mostly calculating result and there have still been bugs left and right. And they never got fixed. Because there was no way to bring the patch to the customer fast. You had to wait for an expansion to maybe fix it.
    Second, just because they don't give you a specific task does not mean they don't monitor every single thing you do in the beta. Real bugs are noticed by them. For stuff like, wrong numbers on an item you can report it manually if it slips through wow.
    Third, maintanence is exactly for that. Some problems only manifest themselves while maintance is active. You specifically look for some problems that can happen and fix them at that point. Maintanece is not just, restart server done.

and last, i don't think wow is that buggy in the first place. There is so much stuff you can dislike in wow. But real errors... meh... and extended maintanence to FIX stuff and then get mad about that they do fix stuff... is weird sorry.

I don't think that is true tbh.
    First, programms in general have been a good deal more simple in the early 2000 and the 90s. Look at games like Baldursgate 2. Release 2001 i think. It does not have that many mechanics. Mostly calculating result and there have still been bugs left and right. And they never got fixed. Because there was no way to bring the patch to the customer fast. You had to wait for an expansion to maybe fix it.
    Second, just because they don't give you a specific task does not mean they don't monitor every single thing you do in the beta. Real bugs are noticed by them. For stuff like, wrong numbers on an item you can report it manually if it slips through wow.
    Third, maintanence is exactly for that. Some problems only manifest themselves while maintance is active. You specifically look for some problems that can happen and fix them at that point. Maintanece is not just, restart server done.

and last, i don't think wow is that buggy in the first place. There is so much stuff you can dislike in wow. But real errors... meh... and extended maintanence to FIX stuff and then get mad about that they do fix stuff... is weird sorry.
    You seem a little overly invested in this. I apologize for not marching to the beat of your drum.

No amount of testing is enought, especially for this kind of product. Ask anyone who deals with this stuff and they will tell you so.