Thread: Euro 2020

Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Immobile lay there acting injured until Italy scored, and was miraculously healed all of a sudden. Watch the video WarbringerPT posted. Are you seriously defending that kind of behavior?

Also no where did I defend Belgium getting a penalty, it was very light at the most. From one angle it looked like Doku tripped over his own feet, from another angle it looked like he was pushed. I'm not the referee or VAR though.

- - - Updated - - -

If getting pushed causes that sort of injuring (or rather, acting) then deary me he must be made of glass

- - - Updated - - -

I agree the booing was disgusting.
    I mean that has happened since always. Now, I totally understand what you mean, diving should be booked, but that requires a big change. I can't see immobile doing something out of the ordinary, surely not something that deserved a shocked reaction. As Jessica put it, Belgium got a penalty for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    He was actually pushed and kicked, there was contact, it was a legit call for a penalty in the first place. Sure, it's kinda sad he lay there until they scored, but it's drawing attention to what he felt was a foul - and it may well have been given by VAR had they not scored so quickly.

Then, later on, commentators are moaning about an Italian player lying on the floor after a challenge, he gets up with a black eye. I don't condone the rolling around, but there's also plenty of heavy contact that goes unpunished too.
    I agree, I think the rolling around antics (which every team does) overshadows the actual fouls. As for Immobile being kicked as well, just rewatched the video and you are correct. It probably should have been a penalty, but no need as they scored. Just saying it's sad it results to this sort of thing.

Anyway, it was a good match and I'm not taking anything away from Italy, they scored 2 stunning goals, played overall better and Belgium missed chances they should have easily put away. This Italy will easily beat Spain.

Great match!

Italy deservedly won the first 70 minutes and were a bit unlucky for the pen, Belgium never looked like they had any chance in the 2nd half and the ref's whistle won the last 15-20 minutes

As a England fan I look forward to losing to them in the final

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    I mean that has happened since always. Now, I totally understand what you mean, diving should be booked, but that requires a big change. I can't see immobile doing something out of the ordinary, surely not something that deserved a shocked reaction. As Jessica put it, Belgium got a penalty for it.
    I agree. It's the part of football I hate though, and will always hate until something is done about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. It's the part of football I hate though, and will always hate until something is done about it.
    Agree, fantastic match. Hate diving too, but I've seen players get booked for diving after actual fouls. Even with VAR it can be really hard to be sure without taking an inordinate amount of time rewatching, so I don't know how you make it go away.

In fairness though, sometimes it looks like diving but it's not. Belotti (I think that's his name anyway) allegedly got hit in the face and went down. It looked ridiculous, but then you look at his face, he's got a nice red mark across his eye. He did get hit. The rolling around is pathetic thought, and literally EVERYONE, including Belgium, does it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Agree, fantastic match. Hate diving too, but I've seen players get booked for diving after actual fouls. Even with VAR it can be really hard to be sure without taking an inordinate amount of time rewatching, so I don't know how you make it go away.
    That is indeed the problem, it'll break up the flow of the game if VAR has to spend minutes looking into each foul. I don't know how you'd fix the issue either really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    In fairness though, sometimes it looks like diving but it's not. Belotti (I think that's his name anyway) allegedly got hit in the face and went down. It looked ridiculous, but then you look at his face, he's got a nice red mark across his eye. He did get hit. The rolling around is pathetic thought, and literally EVERYONE, including Belgium, does it.
    Indeed, as I said above it's part of the game I hate, and all teams do it. But I've got no clue how you'd fix it.

Part of me is glad Belgium are out though, I get waaaaaay too anxious watching them play and miss easy scoring chances. I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the tournament as a neutral now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spinnazzola has reportedly broken an Achilles tendon. That's not him out for the tournament, that's him done in 2021 entirely.

Awful thing to happen to any player.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Qahrd View Post
    Every time should use? What fucking world are we living in? Sports should be about fair play. When Belgium was leading Portugal 1-0, they didn't take even 10 seconds to pull any shit like this.
    Sport is about winning and faking injuries is not against the rules.

That is indeed the problem, it'll break up the flow of the game if VAR has to spend minutes looking into each foul. I don't know how you'd fix the issue either really.

Indeed, as I said above it's part of the game I hate, and all teams do it. But I've got no clue how you'd fix it.

Part of me is glad Belgium are out though, I get waaaaaay too anxious watching them play and miss easy scoring chances. I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the tournament as a neutral now.
    Defending lukaku though, he was shut off most of the time. It's not easy at all. Even immobile had a shocking game. Its not on them though. That would have been a goal if spinazzola wasn't there.

10+ Year Old Account

If a referee misses it or incorrectly gives a foul, a review panel should be allowed to issue a 1 game suspension.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Of course it is! The game rules state "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation), must be sanctioned as unsporting behavior which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card. Unless you're from 1955 in which case you're quite right.

The problem is Refs are not doctors so how can they make the call, it really needs post match review and sanctions imposed after the fact.
    Last edited by Marleycat; 2021-07-02 at 10:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    So you want every game to have scenes like that when a team is in the lead, as you said before?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Spinnazzola has reportedly broken an Achilles tendon. That's not him out for the tournament, that's him done in 2021 entirely.

That's horrible, that would be a career ender not long ago, he'll be lucky to play next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    Of course it is! The game rules state "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation), must be sanctioned as unsporting behavior which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card. Unless you're from 1955 in which case you're quite right.

The problem is Refs are not doctors so how can they make the call, it really needs post match review and sanctions imposed after the fact.
    Sure, but also nigh impossible to call. I mean, you can take a knock that hurts like hell in the moment, then 20 minutes later you forgot it ever happened.

I wonder where the person who was crying about another team diving against Italy in a previous match is reacting to the nation that basically invented diving in football perfected it once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    So you want every game to have scenes like that when a team is in the lead, as you said before?
    Nothing that happened in that game is out of the ordinary. Italy totally deserved the victory. To win, Belgium should have played better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I wonder where the person who was crying about another team diving against Italy in a previous match is reacting to the nation that basically invented diving in football perfected it once more.
    They played better football. Stop being salty. It was a masterful performance against a really strong team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post

Damn that really sucks, and the Belgian fans booing him was just absolutely disgraceful.

That's horrible, that would be a career ender not long ago, he'll be lucky to play next season.

Sure, but also nigh impossible to call. I mean, you can take a knock that hurts like hell in the moment, then 20 minutes later you forgot it ever happened.
    I mean, cases like Immobile are easy to judge. Any1 remember Busquets rolling on the ground a few years ago, covering his face, then he shows his face and he's totally fine?
    Stuff like this BS or feigning getting hit by an adversary should be analyzed by the VAR and punished on the spot, if not on the spot right after the game. Letting them get away with this is making ppl think "it's part of the game", when it's against the rules, unfair, makes ppl mock football for the divers and fake-injuries like today.
    If feigning a penalty gives you a yellow, why doesn't feigning an injury give you a yellow as well...

Damn that really sucks, and the Belgian fans booing him was just absolutely disgraceful.
    Truly shameful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    I mean, cases like Immobile are easy to judge. Any1 remember Busquets rolling on the ground a few years ago, covering his face, then he shows his face and he's totally fine?
    Stuff like this BS or feigning getting hit by an adversary should be analyzed by the VAR and punished on the spot, if not on the spot right after the game. Letting them get away with this is making ppl think "it's part of the game", when it's against the rules, unfair, makes ppl mock football for the divers and fake-injuries like today.
    If feigning a penalty gives you a yellow, why doesn't feigning an injury give you a yellow as well...
    Not sure exactly what your point is with Immobile. He didn't even get a penalty, have you watched any of the games this euro, they do that all the time, why is this somehow different, or worthy of being noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    It should do that is the rules but the problem is making the judgement on whether a player is injured, Is the referee qualified to do that? I mean when that guy snapped his Achilles today we couldnt know at the time if he was injured or not, 30 minutes later in hospital hes diagnosed. Punishment can only really happen in hindsight,. It is a terrible part of the game and something needs to be done, I cant believe players seem to be happy to sell their credibility to waste 30 seconds.

In the USA "soccer" has the reputation for faking and diving and the players are considered weak as sportsmen, I find it hard to defend after watching some of the stuff over the last few days, the authorities need to be more robust with upholding the rules, I imagine there would have been a whole lot less faking today if the player could find out tomorrow, sorry you cant play in the semi final. but they have little fear of repercussions so keep doing it.