welp, Asmongold is streaming FF14 officially, FF14 is at 209k viewers and 200k are his lol. Gonna be a wild ride. He seems pumped though. I'm not an asmon fanboy by any means, but I like to think his publicity will drive more people and exposure to the game (for better or worse, but I do think better).

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh no asmongold started on cactuar....

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Oh no asmongold started on cactuar....
    Poop, poor, Aether...

Maybe this will force Square to update the game's servers.

So I'm still pretty new to the game, level 51, finally got through the ARR patch content, and a few hours into Heavensward, I swapped to a Dark Knight because I heard the story is really good (I was playing a Paladin), but a friend of mine told me there's an incredible amount of off cooldown abilities and it becomes super complex later on, and the internet isn't the best resource to find such a contextual based question. I'm a bit slow in dungeons due to being new still and I was wondering if it would be easier to stick to my Paladin and return when I get more experience?

Thank you.

Edit: I just saw there's a newbie thread, sorry.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-07-03 at 07:58 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    So I'm still pretty new to the game, level 51, finally got through the ARR patch content, and a few hours into Heavensward, I swapped to a Dark Knight because I heard the story is really good (I was playing a Paladin), but a friend of mine told me there's an incredible amount of off cooldown abilities and it becomes super complex later on, and the internet isn't the best resource to find such a contextual based question. I'm a bit slow in dungeons due to being new still and I was wondering if it would be easier to stick to my Paladin and return when I get more experience?

Thank you.
    Later on means very late. So it's not like it will be super complex at 55 suddenly. The game will give you new abilities and give you time to practice them. But honestly the whole point and the largest appeal of the armory system is that you can try every job and stick to the one you are comfortable with. Sure the DK story is amazing, but if you are nervous playing it, you shouldn't feel forced. Games are meant to be enjoyed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    welp, Asmongold is streaming FF14 officially, FF14 is at 209k viewers and 200k are his lol. Gonna be a wild ride. He seems pumped though. I'm not an asmon fanboy by any means, but I like to think his publicity will drive more people and exposure to the game (for better or worse, but I do think better).
    Predictably his followers clogged Cactuar, keep obscuring his screen and killing mobs he tags. I know it is his fault, but i can't help feeling a bit sorry for him.

Thank you.

Edit: I just saw there's a newbie thread, sorry.
    DRK is not complex and is one of the easiest for tanking normal dungeons and main story in my opinion. play what sounds fun for you, but drk is certainly not some super complex job with an insane amount of ogcd's. id rate it as average or below average in complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Later on means very late. So it's not like it will be super complex at 55 suddenly. The game will give you new abilities and give you time to practice them. But honestly the whole point and the largest appeal of the armory system is that you can try every job and stick to the one you are comfortable with. Sure the DK story is amazing, but if you are nervous playing it, you shouldn't feel forced. Games are meant to be enjoyed..
    Ah okay. I should have been more clear that I have no problems with how Dark Knight plays now, I was just worried if it was going to be a ton of off cooldown abilities that I need to constantly be weaving since as of this point I'm not good enough a player to do that. But I enjoy what I do have right now and the aesthetics of the class are really interesting to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    DRK is not complex and is one of the easiest for tanking normal dungeons and main story in my opinion. play what sounds fun for you, but drk is certainly not some super complex job with an insane amount of ogcd's. id rate it as average or below average in complexity.
    Thanks It was just something she said off handedly but I couldn't look too much into it on the internet because I was afraid I'd stumble across something spoilery.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Do not judge healing power in any other content than savage or ultimate.

I don't know who cut the DEVs balls off but it is ridiculous how easy everything except the afore mentioned has become.

As a healer I cannot indefinitely "instantly" bring my tank back up. You should heal savage for a while, then you know that once you run out of CDs, it becomes a struggle to heal things fast enough. The challenge usually is not to heal the amount, it's to heal it within the given time.

Yes, you are right, that these critical phases are spread out too much. Hence why I called SE timid in regards to damaging the players in any content.
    I'll be the first to admit I've not done much Savage content - As much as I like to claim I'm suave, charismatic and an all round awesome guy, the truth is I end up pugging most content because I'm playing solo.

That said, for a tank buster I'd typically have a Shield on the tank ready to go, then have a Emergency Tactics + Adlo + Lustrate timed for less than a second after a tankbuster hits. Between the pre-shield and the pre-cast the tanks HP has generally been high enough fast enough to let me go back to spamming Broil.

The bulk of raid damage is avoidable, so while there can be some required there when you're learning the fight, it quickly tapers off when people are more comfortable with that particular fights safety dance.

Your experience may vary, but mine is I spend the bulk of my time casting DPS spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    And to some extent that can be fun. Not being a healbot and doing something on top of your normal role.
    I do think healer DPS is interesting when you're walking that fine line between doing the minimum amount of healing possible and pushing the envelope on DPS. It has to be a risk/reward situation for me to find it fun, at present FF14 is tipped too far in the reward direction without any real risks attached.

More DPS mechanics would be nice too, but I'm prepared to accept that they need to be simpler than an actual DPS Job - As much as I would prefer otherwise.

Of course the idiots are ruinining balmoldgold experience, so much for having a "better community" than wow

I've been watching his stream out of curiosity and the people "ruining" his experience seem to be his own fans who all started on the server with him.

But it's the FF14's community's fault...?????
    People that started with him don't have Gold Saucer or ShB raid mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    People that started with him don't have Gold Saucer or ShB raid mounts.
    EDIT: I saw a clip of some people doing something that I did not understand preventing him from progressing for a bit. I am not a fan of that.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-07-04 at 12:04 AM.

EDIT: I saw a clip of some people doing something that I did not understand preventing him from progressing for a bit. I am not a fan of that.
    It was early, within the first hour or so. While there is no doubt he has a lot of his fans causing problems, there were a lot of vet players there causing havoc too. I'm pretty indifferent to Asmon, but it's only for FF14s benefit to be a good ambassador.

I really don't wish Asmon and his followers on any game. Preferably he'd just go away but that'll sadly not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Just finished stormblood completely, the whole of 4.0 was pretty boring tbh even the end, barely above ARR infact it pretty much felt just like ARR in terms of it just laying foundations of the new lands/people but not too much else. But the story started to become interesting when you had a chat with fordola in her cell early in 4.1. After that I i have really enjoyed the story so far.
    I felt pretty similarly.

But... the post-SB is when I thought the game started to have good writing and it continued pretty much through Shadowbringers, so the good news is I think you're starting the best part of the game.

I swapped to a Dark Knight because I heard the story is really good
    The Dark Knight story is grossly overrated. Don't mistake me; I think the Stormblood 60-70 one is actually goodish, it's just not the bestest thing ever like the FFXIV fandom hypes it up to be.

(I was playing a Paladin)
    The Gladiator stories (1-30 and 70-80) were okay. The 30-50 Pally story had interesting ideas but never did anything with them. HW was a joke but the localization made the last quest pretty funny. Shame that Paladin gameplay is boring until cap. Dark Knight is barebones but at least you have your kit right out the gate.

a friend of mine told me there's an incredible amount of off cooldown abilities and it becomes super complex later on
    Dark Knight is probably the most braindead easy tank job to play. Just spam your CDs when they come off of cooldown and press your 1-2-3 combo and that's it. If you want a more mechanically interesting job, play Warrior or Gunbreaker.

I swapped to a Dark Knight because I heard the story is really good
    The Dark Knight story is grossly overrated. Don't mistake me; I think the Stormblood 60-70 one is actually goodish, it's just not the bestest thing ever like the FFXIV fandom hypes it up to be.

(I was playing a Paladin)
    The Gladiator stories (1-30 and 70-80) were okay. The 30-50 Pally story had interesting ideas but never did anything with them. HW was a joke but the localization made the last quest pretty funny. Shame that Paladin gameplay is boring until cap. Dark Knight is barebones but at least you have your kit right out the gate.

a friend of mine told me there's an incredible amount of off cooldown abilities and it becomes super complex later on
    Dark Knight is probably the most braindead easy tank job to play. Just spam your CDs when they come off of cooldown and press your 1-2-3 combo and that's it. If you want a more mechanically interesting job, play Warrior or Gunbreaker.

I was wondering if it would be easier to stick to my Paladin and return when I get more experience?
    Are you enjoying Paladin? If the gameplay is too boring for and/or you would prefer wielding a giant sword to a sword & board aesthetic, then it can't hurt to switch.

P.S: Just do the first DRK job to unlock the job, and then postpone doing the quests until you level up enough you can do the whole questline in one go (as reach level 50 before doing the 30-50 questline). Also, for this questline, you'll also want to read the journal entries that recap your quest progression, as they are a little interesting. Again don't expect to be mindblown, it's just a little touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There are superpowerful ancient primals imprisoned within Azys Lla. After Thordan transformed into a primal, he intended to go down into the containment cells and harvest the power of those primals, like how the Ultima Weapon harvested the powers of Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda in ARR. This does somewhat violate the lore because the idea of a primal eating another primal was never brought up outside of this context, but FFXIV started playing more and more fast and loose with its metaphysics as the story went on.
    His plan was to kill the triad and use Ascalon to absorb their aether like we see him do with Lahabrea. So no more violations there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    use Ascalon to absorb their aether like we see him do with Lahabrea. So no more violations there.
    Oh, I completely forgotten about that scene. I wonder if that's something any primal can do, or if it's because aether absorbtion was a property of the original sword, and the creation magic was so effectively in recreating it that the new version has the same property.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Just finished stormblood completely, the whole of 4.0 was pretty boring tbh even the end, barely above ARR infact it pretty much felt just like ARR in terms of it just laying foundations of the new lands/people but not too much else. But the story started to become interesting when you had a chat with fordola in her cell early in 4.1. After that I i have really enjoyed the story so far.
    Tbh the main problem with "main" Stormblood questline is that it's unnecessarily split into 2, pretty much the same stories - Ala Migho and Doma liberation efforts, where Doma is pretty much 2/3 and Ala Migho is missing 1/3 (itself split into 2 parts which messes up the pacing even more)

If we could have just one liberation story for the whole expansion, with one set of characters, instead of carbon copies of themselves on both sides of the world, Stormblood I think would be much better adventure.

Stormblood felt like the weakest expansion storywise to me.
    The split focus absolutely annihilated the pacing, if they didn't think they could do a full expansion liberating Ala Migho they should have just set the whole thing in Doma. It's so blatantly obvious that's where the passion was for the team (makes sense Japanese devs doing fantasy-asia).
    Zeno's also falls into the arthas trap of alternating between being afk and pretending that he wanted to lose as an easy narrative excuse why he never does anything.

That and coming off the back of the infinitely superior HW writing and tight story. Oh and don't forget the weebshit/bait, to me Ivalice has always been western fantasy through a Japanese lens that's what makes it so unique, leaning into full weebshit made for the worst expansion when it came to the art especially compared to Ishgard's architecture.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?