Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    You guys know the drill, keep it game-related.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    I mean, I get that edgy religion-bashing by people whose knowledge of theology, philosophy, or even science are positively minimal is in vogue now, but that doesn't even make sense. When does that ever happen?
    WoW and our world have one key difference - in our world religions have about equal amount of “proof” of their deities being real or of their causes being “the only true” - zero amount. You just… believe and hope that you follow the right path so to say.

Religion is more about culture , really.

In WoW though? Its a world where gods and powers are real, tangible things. Some of them were even seen “in the flesh” or actively appear before their followers.

So obviously when you try and put an IRL religion standards on WoW it dosent work.

My post has nothing to do with real life religions. Its purely about WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    @Eggroll There's always been misogyny when it comes to Tyrande. Remember when Malfurion told her "Hush, Tyrande!" in that novel? Blizzard have always written Tyrande with misogyny somewhat.
    This "Hush, Tyrande!" is actually in the game, too.

And let's not forget how the hotheaded pup Varian schooled a millennia old Tyrande about war tactics in MoP *vomits*....

There's been a systemic tearing down of everything the Night Elves stand for. Short of deleting them from the game, the final nail in the coffin is to reveal that Elune is either a sham, evil, or both. Its also happening to the Light to a lesser degree too.

Yeah, remember that first encounter with them in WC3? They were terrifying. Utterly hostile and alien. Clearly a civilization that wants to be left alone and is hostile to any intruders.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    That argument falls flat when you consider Sylvanas and how long she's been doing the thing she's been doing without any sort of consequences.
    Some youtuber made a pretty good argument about how even Sylvanas's storyline is not that much less mysogynist. I mean, men trying to write women in a plausible way will almost always fail. Besides, they are inconsistent in this regard anyways. It is acknowledged that the orignial devs were heavily opposed to having elves in the game at all, because they thought them to be not "cool" enough, they were too "girlish". You know, the same attitude 10 year old boys have toward girls, they think they are stupid and embarrasing. IMO the devs haven't really progressed from that mindset. The exception is when that figure can be objectified and be obsessed about, like Sylvanas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Yeah, remember that first encounter with them in WC3? They were terrifying. Utterly hostile and alien. Clearly a civilization that wants to be left alone and is hostile to any intruders.
    Kinda like some 5 generation inbreed rednecks. They also drink moonshine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    There's been a systemic tearing down of everything the Night Elves stand for. Short of deleting them from the game, the final nail in the coffin is to reveal that Elune is either a sham, evil, or both. Its also happening to the Light to a lesser degree too.
    Sucks when it happens to nelves. But the forsaken deserved it. And the orcs. And fuck the Tauren, they arent even worth the trouble, lets just make them follow anduin's butt-buddy after showing that we never cared by giving them the theramore treatment then acting like it never happened.

Like cmon, you people insist on acting like the poor little night elves have never done anything wrong and have always been treated as the worst people in game. All while turning a blind eye to the shitstorms they have created, both willingly and accidentally. Hell... they practically rolled out the red carpet for the legion with their vanity and tendencies toward megalomania, but let's pretend that never happened since it dims the halo we want above their heads, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Sucks when it happens to nelves. But the forsaken deserved it. And the orcs. And fuck the Tauren, they arent even worth the trouble, lets just make them follow anduin's butt-buddy after showing that we never cared by giving them the theramore treatment then acting like it never happened.

Like cmon, you people insist on acting like the poor little night elves have never done anything wrong and have always been treated as the worst people in game. All while turning a blind eye to the shitstorms they have created, both willingly and accidentally. Hell... they practically rolled out the red carpet for the legion with their vanity and tendencies toward megalomania, but let's pretend that never happened since it dims the halo we want above their heads, right?
    Yes, and the time after Malfurion blew up the Well of Eternity to sink Ashara and her followers is known as "The long Vigil". A kind of atonement, they even prohibited arcane magic to be used by nelves. This is how the blood elves were ousted from nelf society, because they wouldn't abandon arcane magic. Part of the atonement is their frugal, nature like lifestyle which they are mocked for especially by the Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Kinda like some 5 generation inbreed rednecks. They also drink moonshine too.
    Exactly. Terrifying.

Worship isn't about asking some higher power to take out the trash, cook your dinner, and wipe your arse for you. That's your job. God helps those who help themselves so to say.

The night elves need to go on some genocide killing spree's. Wipe out some foresaken (they're already dead so it's ok), green skins, maybe some of those little fox things so they learn not to mess with the pretty trees.

How do you know there is no reason for Elune to take away the powers just as she is killing Sylvanas?

Its quite easy: Elune needs Sylvanas. As she is also surviving the raid just means Sylvanas will be important in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, she is Kerrigan 2.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    How do you know there is no reason for Elune to take away the powers just as she is killing Sylvanas?

Its quite easy: Elune needs Sylvanas. As she is also surviving the raid just means Sylvanas will be important in the grand scheme of things.

I just read a fan fiction of shadowlands and how sylvanas ends, I must say that blizzard has a long way to go before they learn to write as well as that fan.... what a tragedy...
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    You're not wrong, but it's doing Kerrigan a disservice. Unlike Sylvanas, Kerrigan was betrayed by her own people and welcomed into the Zerg. All of Kerrigan's motivations kept on making sense throughout. Sylvansa on the other hand merely got enslaved, her enslaver died six expansion ago and she's still bitter, wandering without any motives but written as though she did.

7+ Year Old Account
    at this point i think we need a elf megathread of some thing for all the complaint and crying.

For most part we didn't even knew what elune was, if god, naaru, wild god, or something minor, we didn't even knew she was real, so, people should not be taking night elves words as absolute truth

People are assuming what she is, what her role should be, what powers she posses and what she can do without knowing her boundaries or limitations, (while donwplaying the roles of others like bwosandi, im the first one to point of the garbage story blizzard these days are doing, but this aprt is people just creating too much expectations of thinking she is an all might god above all else.

she is as much as an unimportant deity as other wildgods or the earthmother and so on, her role should be just for worshiping and religion for world building, we don't need her in the story as a character or person, neither we need her doing things actively, the night warrior shenanigans was already going to far. Deities in rpgs shoul be for pantheon making only, and rarely acting via their followers with some sort of minor miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    at this point i think we need a elf megathread of some thing for all the complaint and crying.

For most part we didn't even knew what elune was, if god, naaru, wild god, or something minor, we didn't even knew she was real, so, people should not be taking night elves words as absolute truth

People are assuming what she is, what her role should be, what powers she posses and what she can do without knowing her boundaries or limitations, (while donwplaying the roles of others like bwosandi, im the first one to point of the garbage story blizzard these days are doing, but this aprt is people just creating too much expectations of thinking she is an all might god above all else.

she is as much as an unimportant deity as other wildgods or the earthmother and so on, her role should be just for worshiping and religion for world building, we don't need her in the story as a character or person, neither we need her doing things actively, the night warrior shenanigans was already going to far. Deities in rpgs shoul be for pantheon making only, and rarely acting via their followers with some sort of minor miracle.
    Only after we make a megathread for "muh horde is ruined" and "need muh slyvanas back".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Only after we make a megathread for "muh horde is ruined" and "need muh slyvanas back".
    how many threads are created for those? i can't see one.

Elf thread is every single day

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Bwonsamdi>>>>>>>>elune
    that's what I tell myself every time I log in on my fury warrior...

my mans deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Deities in rpgs shoul be for pantheon making only, and rarely acting via their followers with some sort of minor miracle.
    Agreed, but this is only half the issue. When the actions of the mortals themselves putting the universe at stake, then what kind of god wouldn't intervene somehow?

The problem is WoW kept raising the stakes even though it never had to. The most interesting stories aren't about gods, but about the petty squabbles of mortal beings. As you said, the gods are merely supposed to be a garnish.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Then why should night elfs subject themselves to her with such fervor?
    A very good question I expect to see addressed. Would the high priestess of Elune forsake her entirely for failing to provide this vengeance?

I'm really eager to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.