Thread: Euro 2020

Page 67 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    If it were possible for the outcome of a match to throw out the 2 playing teams, then I'd wish for England and DK to be those "victims".

England cause their fans are unbearable. And DK, well, cause they were celebrating the win yday as if they won the Euro, and clogging up the city center in mass. Fuck'em
    You're a miserable git aren't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were possible for the outcome of a match to throw out the 2 playing teams, then I'd wish for England and DK to be those "victims".

England cause their fans are unbearable. And DK, well, cause they were celebrating the win yday as if they won the Euro, and clogging up the city center in mass. Fuck'em
    That is because people like to celebrate especially after being locked down for so long, Italians celebrated here also every single game as they did, so did they Belgians and that means fireworks and the whole thing getting jammed up.

Would you be saying the same thing if the Portuguese were doing it? Doubtful.

Also this is the furthest the Danes ever got if i am not mistaken, so to echo what others have saying stop being killjoy
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I'm English, and our 'loud' fans are no different to 'loud' fans of any other football team. If someone were to say that all 'loud' fans of ANYTHING are really fucking annoying, then I'd totally be with that. Because the issue at play there is the obnoxious nature of said type of fans, not the nationality nor the content even they're a fan of. I appreciate that's a really long explanation, but hate the behaviour, not the identity. Is much cleaner.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-07-04 at 11:37 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Also this is the furthest the Danes ever got if i am not mistaken, so to echo what others have saying stop being killjoy
    Denmark won the Euro in 1992. And they didnt even qualified, they got invited after Yugoslavia was banned from international competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unalorian View Post
    Denmark won the Euro in 1992. And they didnt even qualified, they got invited after Yugoslavia was banned from international competition.
    Oh okay did not know that.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    That is because people like to celebrate especially after being locked down for so long, Italians celebrated here also every single game as they did, so did they Belgians and that means fireworks and the whole thing getting jammed up.

Would you be saying the same thing if the Portuguese were doing it? Doubtful.

Yes I would. And yes I have. I condemned large public gatherings when Sporting won the portuguese championship and did it when Champions league went to Porto.

I've watched these games in the confines of my room, then, yesterday, taking the bus downtown, I see the main arteries of the city center clogged up. To be clear, I'm a Portuguese currently residing in DK.

Yes I would. And yes I have. I condemned large public gatherings when Sporting won the portuguese championship and did it when Champions league went to Porto.

I've watched these games in the confines of my room, then, yesterday, taking the bus downtown, I see the main arteries of the city center clogged up. To be clear, I'm a Portuguese currently residing in DK.
    This is quite easy to empathise with, in my opinion. It's the same in England. We're at a 7-day average of 23k cases a day.

Yet because football and because summer and because big fat cash injection into the economy via tourism and entertainment, it's all fair game.

Sure, not as many people are dying. But this virus has shown that it's capable of mutating as it spreads. Why take the risk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and @Acidbaron I forgot to add: I also mocked the president of the Portuguese parliament for saying that portuguese people should travel in mass to Sevilla for the game with Belgium.

Cases were and are increasing in the greater Lisbon area and the dude was telling people to go nuts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cheering for Denmark but I got no clue about the strength of the rest.
    If not Denmark I would like to see England win cos they haven't tasted success in ages. On the other hand given english fans chant It's coming home after some random group stage win would probably equal obnoxious fans untill set in place the next big cup
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Cheering for Denmark but I got no clue about the strength of the rest.
    If not Denmark I would like to see England win cos they haven't tasted success in ages. On the other hand given english fans chant It's coming home after some random group stage win would probably equal obnoxious fans untill set in place the next big cup
    The 'it's coming home' is a classic sense of British entitlement. It's all the fans have as of now. Would be good for them if they win. Bit of humility.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh and @Acidbaron I forgot to add: I also mocked the president of the Portuguese parliament for saying that portuguese people should travel in mass to Sevilla for the game with Belgium.

Cases were and are increasing in the greater Lisbon area and the dude was telling people to go nuts.
    Fair enough, i kind of moved beyond getting annoyed over it as the world has decided that since the vaccines are rolling out in the wealthier nations the Corona crisis is over and the economic crisis created by it has taken the upper hand.

People have been locked up too long and another summer under lock and key would have led to more civic disobedience, the genie is out of the bottle and it is not getting back in, so while i get being annoyed at people who gather en masse i cannot really fault them, it is not in our nature to be locked away from other people.

I also went to watch it in a group in a public place. If it was not the Eurocup something else would have came along, mind you the country that i work in the Netherlands do not even require you to wear a mask anymore and my nation already decided that Festivals got the green light for the biggest part (Tomorrowland excluded from that list)

Anyway getting a bit off topic here.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Fair enough, i kind of moved beyond getting annoyed over it as the world has decided that since the vaccines are rolling out in the wealthier nations the Corona crisis is over and the economic crisis created by it has taken the upper hand.

People have been locked up too long and another summer under lock and key would have led to more civic disobedience, the genie is out of the bottle and it is not getting back in, so while i get being annoyed at people who gather en masse i cannot really fault them, it is not in our nature to be locked away from other people.

I also went to watch it in a group in a public place. If it was not the Eurocup something else would have came along, mind you the country that i work in the Netherlands do not even require you to wear a mask anymore and my nation already decided that Festivals got the green light for the biggest part (Tomorrowland excluded from that list)

Anyway getting a bit off topic here.
    The virus has shown incredible tenacity to mutate. The vaccines may not be effective against future strains, which are being allowed to mutate in developing nations. Anyway, that's an entirely different topic to the football. Best to leave it for its own thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The virus has shown incredible tenacity to mutate. The vaccines may not be effective against future strains, which are being allowed to mutate in developing nations. Anyway, that's an entirely different topic to the football. Best to leave it for its own thread.
    We dont know the efficientcy vs new mutations, what we do know is that in order to mutate it needs a host. And that vaccines (western variants) been resistant to mutations so far.
    Hence unvaccinated people are just a breading gound that needs to be stomped out. Which brings us to the issue most politicians doesnt wanne talk about, the 3rd world need to get helped in order to catch up and that wont be easy considering knowledge about Covid isnt the main attribute of said countries (or the US for that matter) even if they could be shovered in doses and logistics to administrate them.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-07-04 at 06:19 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    So... Did you?
    I did. I also put Kane in at the same time.
    An Karanir Thanagor

The 'it's coming home' is a classic sense of British entitlement. It's all the fans have as of now. Would be good for them if they win. Bit of humility.
    It's more of a meme at this point and nothing to do with any sense of entitlement, the song for the 1970 WC "Back Home" was the base for "Its coming Home", seeing it was the first major tournament to be held in England since 1966, the 1970 WC was considered a major failure as we didn't get past the quarter final as defending champions.

was from the

We are used to failure from the England team at championships.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

England cause their fans are unbearable.
    Try the media. If they win, it'll be another 50+ years of shit every time a tourny comes up. 1966 was fucking yonks ago, let it go.

What I find funny as fuck is when a Scottish person wins something, they are British. When they lose, they're Scottish.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? It’s just a 25 year old comedy theme tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    It's more of a meme at this point and nothing to do with any sense of entitlement, the song for the 1970 WC "Back Home" was the base for "Its coming Home", seeing it was the first major tournament to be held in England since 1966, the 1970 WC was considered a major failure as we didn't get past the quarter final as defending champions.

was from the

We are used to failure from the England team at championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    What? It’s just a 25 year old comedy theme tune.
    Guys, the three of us are all English. A lot of folk who drone the tune out use it as a rallying cry. Most of them wouldn't have a clue about the 1970s finals nor would they even know where the song came from. Because there's enough England 'fans' that come out of the woodwork every 2 years are just pub fiends who need a reason to get wandered. It's not something we need to defend. Everyone's allowed their bit of tribalism in tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    We dont know the efficientcy vs new mutations, what we do know is that in order to mutate it needs a host. And that vaccines (western variants) been resistant to mutations so far.
    Hence unvaccinated people are just a breading gound that needs to be stomped out. Which brings us to the issue most politicians doesnt wanne talk about, the 3rd world need to get helped in order to catch up and that wont be easy considering knowledge about Covid isnt the main attribute of said countries (or the US for that matter) even if they could be shovered in doses and logistics to administrate them.
    Pretty much my point, dude. The vaccine will mutate in countries where vaccination rates are super low.

And instead of regulating travel in and out of those countries, the western countries are just like 'WE'LL BE FINE!'
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-07-04 at 09:37 PM.

I've always taken "It's coming home" to be a wild hope being tossed out into the ether.

I'm a Bills fan, and for the past 30 years I've been saying "This is the year we're winning the Super Bowl," even when we were clearly going to be trash. It's about putting your hopes out into the world.

This is like.....classic sports stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've always taken "It's coming home" to be a wild hope being tossed out into the ether.

I'm a Bills fan, and for the past 30 years I've been saying "This is the year we're winning the Super Bowl," even when we were clearly going to be trash. It's about putting your hopes out into the world.

This is like.....classic sports stuff.
    It’s a bit of both, right. Some will do it as sarcasm, some as hope, some as ‘We’re England and are born to win this’. Like any fan base, really. They’re not different to anyone else, really.