Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    like i said, your opinions are valid as are mine since they're both subjective anyway.
    And i don't disagree with many of your points, many though less important for me.
    The lore of the leveling quest, for instance, while great, is only transitory to max level anyway

And i strongly disagree on 2 points
    TotC is probably the worst raid dungeon ever been implemented. One room man, no discovery, no exploring, no dungeoning. Being in a competive guild at the time, having to get to that damn arena all week, in 25 , in 10, in normal and hc. And in an expansion with the Lich King, the dragon aspect, the titans, i'm fighting 2 worms and a giant gorilla what?

Also dungeon were not fun, there were aoe snoozefest. there was no planning and strategy, not great moment to be had, and never never ever the feeling of danger. Doing daily hc became a chore, not a fun experience.

not saying i disliked the expansion, i cleaned it, every tier before the next one except algalon and yogg 0.

but hey, that's how i lived it. To each his own.
    To be fair, the "exploring" of a raid really isnt a factor for most people A) because its already been heavily datamined beforehand, and Blizzard even doing previews showing the entire raid and all the bosses, and B) even if there was exploring to be done, that covers your first ever time through, and thats it.

Secondly, some of the 5mans had some amazing moments, including literally being chased by the LK himself, and unless playing with a guild, those dungeons absolutely offered a lot of challenge, at least in the short term. People have a habit of only remembering the flawless runs through with guildies they had and forgetting all the wipefests with pugs. HoR in particular was an absolute nightmare if all members of the team didnt know their roll and perform it well. PoS was a real PoS with inexperienced players as well.

I know a lot of people who absolutely loved the raid specifically for the reasons you hated it, so as you say, it really is quite subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    To be fair, the "exploring" of a raid really isnt a factor for most people A) because its already been heavily datamined beforehand, and Blizzard even doing previews showing the entire raid and all the bosses, and B) even if there was exploring to be done, that covers your first ever time through, and thats it.

Secondly, some of the 5mans had some amazing moments, including literally being chased by the LK himself, and unless playing with a guild, those dungeons absolutely offered a lot of challenge, at least in the short term. People have a habit of only remembering the flawless runs through with guildies they had and forgetting all the wipefests with pugs. HoR in particular was an absolute nightmare if all members of the team didnt know their roll and perform it well. PoS was a real PoS with inexperienced players as well.

I know a lot of people who absolutely loved the raid specifically for the reasons you hated it, so as you say, it really is quite subjective.
    yes the 3 dungeons released with ICC were offering a better challenge than the original, and were well crafted. i concede that point. But i also think it's blizzard realizing that super easy dungeon just doesn't cut it, people get bored quickly without challenge. So those dungeons are testimonies on how bad and uninspiring were their original dungeons.

as for your point, yes people know the layout of a raid or dungeon, especially having run it so often. i can close my eyes and and retrace my step through the entire citadel, but still people enjoying pacing through those corridors. Trial of the crusader were one circular arena without any feature and the first boss is 2 giant worms. i mean, ok, let's kill worms i guess. i have never felt so underwhelmed after a patch release.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2021-07-05 at 01:33 AM.

Nope.

Cleared every single fight when it was current (and multiple times over on private servers as well). Wrath Classic, like the two before it, are going to release on the final balance patch and everything is going to be just as braindead-easy as TBC is.

I don't buy into the nostalgia thing; if I'm not having fun with Retail then I find another game to play entirely. Didn't play Vanilla Classic, or TBC Classic, not going to play any after that either, even if Wrath and MoP were my favourite expansions.

Private server meta is going to carry onto Wrath Classic just like it did the previous two, a meta which is even more boring than the game was when it was current. No thanks, I'll just stick to Shadowlands until I get bored of it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Nope.

Cleared every single fight when it was current (and multiple times over on private servers as well). Wrath Classic, like the two before it, are going to release on the final balance patch and everything is going to be just as braindead-easy as TBC is.

I don't buy into the nostalgia thing; if I'm not having fun with Retail then I find another game to play entirely. Didn't play Vanilla Classic, or TBC Classic, not going to play any after that either, even if Wrath and MoP were my favourite expansions.

Private server meta is going to carry onto Wrath Classic just like it did the previous two, a meta which is even more boring than the game was when it was current. No thanks, I'll just stick to Shadowlands until I get bored of it and move on.
    Fair enough, but you do realize how EXTREMELY easy it is to entirely ignore the "meta" shit, right? Just dont play with those people. TBCC seems absolutely fine, although I am sure the forums are full of people saying "I literally cannot play X spec because of the community!". When in reality, what they are saying is "the meta slave groups in chat wont take me" - which is FINE. Start your own group and take non meta specs - boom, you just became part of the solution, not the problem, or B> join a guild, play with friends.

I never had any issue getting into groups in vanilla, and I havnt had any issue in TBCC.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Fair enough, but you do realize how EXTREMELY easy it is to entirely ignore the "meta" shit, right? Just dont play with those people. TBCC seems absolutely fine, although I am sure the forums are full of people saying "I literally cannot play X spec because of the community!". When in reality, what they are saying is "the meta slave groups in chat wont take me" - which is FINE. Start your own group and take non meta specs - boom, you just became part of the solution, not the problem, or B> join a guild, play with friends.

I never had any issue getting into groups in vanilla, and I havnt had any issue in TBCC.
    Hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Hard pass.
    Hard pass on what? Im absolutely fine with you playing whatever the hell you want, but to use the reason "private server meta" ruining it - thats entirely on you. Its one of those things you read far more about on the forums from people who have literally never loaded the game up than you do in game.

those infamous wrath babies ^^
    If we analyze the sub curve, the number of subs keeps increasing non stop in vanilla and TBC, it was WotLK that knee cap that progression and plateau the number of sub.
    WotLK the the first expansion to end with less players it started with.
    The possibility that people left during Wotlk and new players joined has never crossed your mind?

Like, when 1000 people leave and 1000 people join, you still have the same amount of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    I wouldn't touch Wrath, to be honest. I said it in a previous thread on the subject but the mere thought of doing lvl 80 Naxx after farming it for 6 months in Classic is enough to make me not want to bother even leveling. Top that off with the braindead heroics, Dungeon Finder killing server communities and low lvl world zones, and only one really good raid to look forward to my excitement for Wrath Classic is at absolute zero.
    That makes sense. Nax got i cluded in WotL because barely anyone played the original. But in Classic we all got that chance to do it right. I don't believe peole are going to lime WotL Nax as much this time around.

15+ Year Old Account
    im looking forward for BFA Classic, 8.3 was really fun.

Someone explain to me the whole WotLK fever, it was an OK expansion, some hits, some miss

the +
    great lore (arthas, the lich king, the titans)
    great continent (better than outland i think)
    improve class gameplay (and better balance between spec)
    Ulduar and ICC fantastic raids

the -
    2 out of the 4 tier were garbage (naxx 2.0 so easy it was tank and spank, and trial of the crusader, one arena 4 boss, no trash and a final boss below)
    each tier pretty much killed the previous tier
    Heroic dungeons were a pure joke (and only 9 at launch, against 15 for tbc)
    Dungeon finder
    12 month of ICC seriously?

For me, TBC is the golden age of wow,
    great lore for an old warcraft 3 player (kael'thas, illidan, medhiv...)
    love the progression system through attunement
    love the sense of community of not having an anonymous dungeon finder.
    and love the heroic dungeon grinding in tbc
    Wotlk was the gateway drug into raiding for the more casual but far larger crowd of wow players.

Basically blizz shifted their target demography to a diffrent and larger group of people.

To the great despair of the raiding crowd of vanilla and tbc who for the most part thinks of Wotlk as wrath of the casual king.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    BC was better than Wrath.

Wrath was the serious ramp up of the "Go Go Go" mentality in dungeons. Wrath was the start of raids being so easy that you could succeed early in the expansion with half your raid dead. Wrath was the walking back of the hero class from what it could have been to being dumbed down to just another new class (but kept that name for PR purposes only).

This is not to say that Wrath was terrible, just that the beginnings of the decay of WoW started in that expansion. BC had solid growth over its entire run. Wrath only maintained what BC gained. Every expansion after Wrath involved less and less effort on the part of Blizz. Wrath at least put in about the same effort as BC.

I have no doubt that Blizz will release Classic Wrath, but I'll be skipping that expansion altogether.
    This, exactly this.
    Though I probably will play a bit of Wrath, if only because I love the leveling phase. But Naxx just obsoleted so much content and was so trivial that I'm not sure it'll be any fun to play past the pex.
    WotLK is the beginning of the hamster's wheel, where you faceroll content (pathetically easy 5-man) to get end-game reward. Downright loot distributor removing most of what the game is fun about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    TBC Classic is equally or more faceroll than T7, the raids that is.
    Absolutely ridiculous claim.
    Either you're trying to humblebrag too hard about how easy TBC is, or you have very bad memory of what the ACTUAL faceroll (not the bullshit "faceroll" brag that means prepared hardcore guilds can clean easily the content while most people wipe on it) that was WotLK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    And we've already seen that Naxx Classic was hilariously easy, it's just as easy as 25man Naxx with all the world buffs and an optimised raid group, if not easier.
    And you seem to double down on ridiculousness. Even with WB, Naxx Classic was ten times harder than WotLK. Even at the time with a guild less experienced than today, we had an easier time than we had during Classic. That claim is so full of shit it's not even possible to take it seriously.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milfshaked View Post
    I think it is kinda funny that Wrath HCs are remembered as faceroll just because people spent half the expansion in 80 item levels above them. Wrath HCs are really not that easy in normal dungeon gear. Sure, they are not the pinnacle of difficulty and far easier than M+ keystones, but compared to other expansions HC dungeons, they are not really easier than most. Halls of lightning especially is a massive pug breaker.
    Bullshit. They were faceroll even in leveling gear. We actually had moments where we though we were in "normal" mode and not "heroic mode" and went back to check because we honestly couldn't see any meaningful difference, and that was before we even got our dungeon gear.

Go check the numbers : heroic WotLK instances have only marginally higher numbers than TBC ones when it comes to damage and health... yet they happen 10 levels higher, with classes which have MASSIVELY increased output and survivability.
    Last edited by Akka; 2021-07-05 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvania View Post
    im looking forward for BFA Classic, 8.3 was really fun.
    I know there's this meme of "I can't wait for 9.1 classic guys" and I very much doubt the blizzard would bother with classic past Wrath but if they do I legitimately think a cata and mop clasic would change how people actuall perceive those expansions.
    In much the same vein as those 42 glorious minutes shut up the "Vanilla was the real hardcore" faux nostalgia wankers (who probably never even played vanilla) forever.

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Bullshit. They were faceroll even in leveling gear. We actually had moments where we though we were in "normal" mode and not "heroic mode" and went back to check because we honestly couldn't see any meaningful difference, and that was before we even got our dungeon gear.
    ICC 5 mans would gutterstomp players that tried to brute force them in leveling gear, I doubt a tank could even survive Falric and Marwyn even cheesing it with the los tactic. I know for a fact Tyrannus regularly clapped poorly geard (i.e dungeon geared) tank's cheeks.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2021-07-05 at 10:47 AM.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    ICC 5 mans would gutterstomp players that tried to brute force them in leveling gear, I doubt a tank could even survive Falric and Marwyn even cheesing it with the los tactic.
    First off, the post you are replying with deals with Wotlk heroics in general, not just the ICC 5man ones, which were, to be fair, a stepup from the previous Wotlk heroics, but in my opinion still far easier than a lot of the TBC heroics.

I'd consider them challenging if they were to be released at Wotlk launch, but because they were introduced near the end of Wotlk, you could gear yourself up super quick and then do them with emblem gear.

Add to this that you quite often ended up with some overgeared player in there, either for daily heroic or that one trinket that never drops, and you generally had no huge problems.
    I know for a fact Tyrannus regularly clapped poorly geard (i.e dungeon geared) tank's cheeks.
    I know for a fact that some TBC bosses / trash mobs clapped appropriately geared tanks - and there they didn't even play any mechanics incorrectly.

Wrath will be interesting because the tryhards and zoomers will burn out very quickly in tier 1. Even way back in the original release, my guild literally cleared all the content in the first two weeks. Naxx was Naxx, heroics were a joke, and then all you had was those dragon bosses.

I'd expect all that stuff to be cleared the day it opens, and then what is everyone going to do? Run Naxx for months AGAIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    First off, the post you are replying with deals with Wotlk heroics in general, not just the ICC 5man ones, which were, to be fair, a stepup from the previous Wotlk heroics, but in my opinion still far easier than a lot of the TBC heroics.

I'd consider them challenging if they were to be released at Wotlk launch, but because they were introduced near the end of Wotlk, you could gear yourself up super quick and then do them with emblem gear.

Add to this that you quite often ended up with some overgeared player in there, either for daily heroic or that one trinket that never drops, and you generally had no huge problems.
    First of all the ICC 5 mans don't just not count because they were released with the fall patch. His claim was you could face roll Wrath heroics in levelling gear, when you account for those dungeons is just demonstrably false (which is just a result of a not insignificant amount of WoW's difficulty coming down to maths), that doesn't prevent TBC heroics from being harder.

I do agree when you factor gear availability the ICC heroics were probably easier than they should have been because many players outgeared them before they even released. But trivialising content through outgearing it is like one of the basic principles of the game. TBC heroics are 'faceroll' in sunwell gear, the cata heroics would have been faceroll if everyone had tier 11.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

3+ Year Old Account
    Imagine skipping one of the best expansions ever with great raids, HC dungeons, pvp, lore, attunements, etc...

First of all the ICC 5 mans don't just not count because they were released with the fall patch. His claim was you could face roll Wrath heroics in levelling gear, when you account for those dungeons is just demonstrably false (which is just a result of a not insignificant amount of WoW's difficulty coming down to maths), that doesn't prevent TBC heroics from being harder.
    I think that is a huge misconstruction of the situation.

The poster he replied talked about Wrath heroics and even citied Halls of Lightning, hence it's big red flag that it was about Wotlk launch heroics, which by the way were complete faceroll even in leveling gear.
    But trivialising content through outgearing it is like one of the basic principles of the game. TBC heroics are 'faceroll' in sunwell gear, the cata heroics would have been faceroll if everyone had tier 11.
    The problem is that by the time Sunwell came out, heroics were already out for over year.
    When ICC heroics came out, they were new content, not 1+ year old content, hence it's reasonable to expect that everyone has some amount of gear (disregarding how easy it was to gear a character in late Wotlk).
    This scenario of someone doing it with leveling gear is simply not a realistic one because the basic Ilvl requirement to queue for them via LFD was above leveling gear.

You could make a comparison with Magister's Terrace, because that also launched like the ICC 5man with the last content patch, but i will argue that Magister's Terrace HC was harder than any of those ICC heroics because the trash was nasty, the bosses also required a modicum of strategy and there you couldn't as easily rely on the help of superior geared players because of the lack of LFD and the daily heroic.

Magister's Terrace is one of those "I wouldn't pug it without a proper comp" heroics, whereas every single ICC 5man heroic was still doable with any comp.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-07-05 at 01:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I did play both at a high level, and no drake sarth was comparable to magtheridon difficulty. Easily puggable, and the mount was sold all the time over it. And don’t forget it could be done 10 man, automatically
    Making it easier

And as for naxx 2.0, it was the easiest raid content ever put into WoW imho. So easy that they had to put in undying and immortal achievements just to make it spicy. Notice that those two achievements never managed to make it Into any other raid in WoW history… I wonder why…

ICC was hard on heroic, but it can’t even compare to pre nerf sunwell which was the hardest content ever put into WoW. Wotlk didn’t have anything that compared, and being able to do 10 or 25 man invalidated it too on some other level
    so are we just gonna ignore the champion/conqueror of ulduar then?, because they were the exact same thing, you then had the tributes in 3.2, it was after that they discontinued them, every raid tier until ICC had a version of the achievement to complete the raid without having anybody die at any point etc, and it has been brought back in limited capacity in some encounters over the time also, so stop spouting bullshit please.

I think that is a huge misconstruction of the situation.

The poster he replied talked about Wrath heroics and even citied Halls of Lightning, hence it's big red flag that it was about Wotlk launch heroics, which by the way were complete faceroll even in leveling gear.
    I don't really see an issue with leveling my strongest argument if the poster was so careless as to make such a genralist comment. Especially when said poster is a seething nostalgia baiter who refuse to accept the hard parts of the game are harder now than in the past.
    HoL is a terrible example of a faceroll dungeon anyway because those first pulls and Loken are absolutely infamous for the amount of wipes they cause.

The simple fact is that actual diffuclty is is impacted by many external factors that 'objective' difficulty is almost irrelvent, especially when it comes to 5mans. I mean the same factors (gear availability and time accessability) that make the TBC heroics actually harder than the ICC 5mans are what make the cata heroics harder than the TBC ones. I mean if the cata heroics were never nerfed they probably wouldn't retain their legendary status because gear availability would have eventually made them (largely) brute forcable.
    Hell even M+ has raised the bar so high even the hardest static content done in the worst gear is just baby kiddle pool nonsense that effectivly renders the whole argument pointless.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The possibility that people left during Wotlk and new players joined has never crossed your mind?

Like, when 1000 people leave and 1000 people join, you still have the same amount of people.
    which means Vanilla and TBC had a better retention rate. If number increased in TBC, it means more people join than left, doesn't it?