Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

space or deep sea movies

im looking for full length movie or series recommendations set in space or deep sea

for example interstellar which was great
    and underwater which unfortunately was crap

thanks in advance
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

if they ever do a TV adaptation of Peter Watts' Rifters books then that'd fit the bill, meantime if you're willing to expand your search to books then I strongly recommend them, they're even available for free as ebooks through his website

Best space shows
    • Gundam (The UC saga by Tomino)
    • Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    • Star Trek (TNG & DS9)

Gundam (The UC saga by Tomino)

In the future, the nations of Earth have been absorbed into a single state called the Earth Federation. Humanity begins expanding into space and building space colonies. However, people yearn from freedom from the Federation. In one space colony, an independence movement begins forming, eventually resulting in them declaring themselves a new country called Principality of Zeon. This results in a war between the Federation and Zeon, called the One Year War. Warfare has been revolutionized by the invention of the mobile suit (giant robot).

Watch order is: Gundam the Origin > Mobile Suit Gundam > Zeta Gundam > ZZ Gundam > Char's Counterattack

Gundam the Origin establishes the backstory that leads up to the One Year War, which is explored in Mobile Suit Gundam. Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam explore the post-war situation, concluding in Char's Counterattack, the final dying breath of the Zeonist movement.

Anime episodes are 19 minutes long (22 minutes but if you skip the 90 second opening song and the 90 second ending song, then it's 19 minutes). Gundam the Origin has 12 episodes. MSG has 42. Zeta has 50. ZZ has 47. CCA is a 2 hour long movie. Yoshiyuki Tomino's whole saga is about 47 hours long.

If you finish CCA and want more Gundam, then there are also spinoffs and side stories (not by Yoshiyuki Tomino) also set during the time period. The best ones are War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Two superpowers are at war with each other: the Free Planets Alliance, and the Galactic Empire. The story follows two opposing heroes: Yang Wen-Li, who fights for a corrupt democracy, and Reinhard von Lohengramm, who seeks to become a benevolent dictator. Their struggle will decide the fate of the galaxy.

Watch order is My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars (a movie that establishes the central cast) -> Overture to the New War (a movie remake of the first three episodes) -> watch the 110 episode series, starting at episode 3.

LoGH episodes are 21 minutes long (24 minutes but if you skip the 90 second opening song and the 90 second ending song, then it's 21 minutes).My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is 1 hour and Overture to the New War is 90 minutes. If you start at episode 3, then the whole story will take you 40 hours to complete. If you finish the series and want more LoGH, there is a series of side stories called LoGH Gaiden.

The legal rights to LoGH have been lost. Technically no one can license the series, nor is there anyone left who can sue you. So you're fine watching LoGH on whatever site you want. HiDive and VRV threw the whole series up on their platforms just because (no one left who can sue them, after all).

Deep sea...as in Marianas Trench;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    im looking for full length movie or series recommendations set in space or deep sea

thanks in advance
    Space battleship yamato (warning dont watch the live action movie, its bad):

Yes, there are space submarines also in that show so its also a deep sea show .

If you want to watch something more with war, star wars clone wars (3d series) is always a good thing to start.

For a realy mental show Final space its pretty good (one season is a bit weak, but there is a reason for that).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Star Trek (TNG and DS9)

In the future, humanity expanded to the stars and formed a Federation of worlds. Over time, the Federation has grown into a superpower and has gone to war with other superpowers, such as the Romulan or the Klingon Empires. TNG follows the flagship of the Federation, the Enterprise, as it travels around the galaxy, transporting ambassadors, getting involved in standoffs with the Romulans, getting involved in Klingon politics, etc. DS9 is the war arc of Star Trek: the Federation meets a new superpower called the Dominion, and the cold war between the two powers slowly begins turning hot, escalating into fullblown conflict.

If you want to jump straight into the war arc that is DS9, you can do that. However, I would recommend starting with TNG to get a feel for the status quo of the setting. What the Federation is like, what the Romulans and the Klingons are like, etc. DS9 sorta assumes you already know what those factions are like and doesn't really bother to introduce them. It's also sorta hard to care about the stakes of the war in DS9 unless you're already acquainted with the worlds at stake from TNG. TNG also establishes the Cardassians and the Bajorans, which are very important to the story of DS9.

Below is a list of the best DS9 episodes and/or the ones that have the most to do with DS9's overarching war story.

Spoiler: 

TNG episodes
    • Best of Both Worlds (later becomes Sisko's backstory)
    • The Wounded (Cardassians introduced)
    • Chain of Command (fleshes out the Cardassians

Then watch these DS9 episodes (seasons 1-3)
    • The Emissary (S1 E1)
    • Duet (S1 E19)
    • Necessary Evil (S2 E8)
    • The Jem'Hadar (S2 E26)
    • The Search (S3 E1&2)
    • Second Skin (S3 E5)
    • Improbable Cause (S3 E20)
    • The Die is Cast (S3 E21)

Go back to TNG and watch
    • Birthright (S6 E16, TNG-DS9 crossover episode about Worf)

Then go back to DS9
    • Way of the Warrior (S4 E1 Worf joins DS9)
    • Hippocratic Oath (S4 E3)
    • Indiscretion (S4 E4)
    • Little Green Men (S4 E7)
    • Our Man Bashir (S4 E9)
    • Homefront (S4 E10)
    • Paradise Lost (S4 E11)
    • Return to Grace (S4 E13)
    • For the Cause (S4 E21)
    • Broken Link (S4 E25)
    • Apocalypse Rising (S5 E1)
    • The Ship (S5 E2)
    • For the Uniform (S5 E13)
    • In Purgatory's Shadow (S5 E14)
    • By Inferno's Light (S5 E15)
    • Blaze of GLory (S5 E23)
    • Call to Arms (S5 E26)
    • First 6 episodes of season 6)
    • Waltz (S6 E11)
    • Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night (S6 E17)
    • Inquisition (S6 E18)
    • In the Pale Moonlight (S6 E19)
    • Valiant (S6 E22)
    • Tears of the Prophets (S6 E26)
    • Image in the Sand (S7 E1)
    • Shadows and Symbols (S7 E2)
    • Treachery, Faith, and the Great River (S7 E6)
    • The Siege of AR-558 (S7 E8)
    • Covenant (S7 E9)
    • It's Only a Paper Moon (S7 E10)
    • Every episode from S7 E16 to the end of the show

60 episodes total. Star Trek episodes are 43 minutes long (45 but subtract 2 for the opening and the credits). So the story is 43 hours long.

- - - Updated - - -

Gundam, LoGH, and Star Trek are the best three space operas I would recommend. If you watch those and want more space opera, then here are are few others:

• Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (is set in a completely different universe than the Tomino saga, you can watch this without having seen any prior Gundam)
    • Firefly
    • Battlestar Galactica (2003 Reboot): watch the mini series first, and then watch the first 2 seasons. Don't bother with anything past season 2.
    • Stargate: SG1 (first 6 seasons)
    • Stargate Atlantis (first 2 seasons are really great)
    • Babylon 5 (is another war story)
    • Gunbuster (is a movie, trailer below)

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-05 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertColvert View Post
    Yeah, came here to say Sphere as well. I imagine lots of people disliked this movie, but I actually thought the concept was pretty cool. It was an enjoyable film for me.

That

Sadly it has some horror in it, but it's a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Space battleship yamato (warning dont watch the live action movie, its bad):
    Over here it's called "Star Blazers."
    When I first looked at that I actually caught the first episode. I was 15yrs old and thought myself too old for cartoons. The 2nd episode had me hooked. And then the "Comet Empire" next season...

I think I need the dvds...

10+ Year Old Account
    Seconding The Abyss, Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, TNG, and DS9.

Tossing in Event Horizon, Moon, Life, and the so-bad-it's-almost-good Leviathan.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

thanks in advance
    Assuming you've already seen the various Star Trek movies and shows, you may give a watch to The Abyss, Alien, and Event Horizon if you haven't seen them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people are already aware of this one but:

Battlestar Galactica

In my humble opinion it's the best television series ever made, any category.

I really like movies like "The hunt for red October" and "crimson tide" because they are good submarine movies. Submarine movies feel like star trek in the ocean. A lot of people like the movie called the abyss. I really like this Michael Crichton-based movie called Sphere.
    When it comes to space movies, I like the very first star trek movie, star trek the motion picture, Ad Astra, interstellar, 2001 space odyssey, 2010 sequel to 2001 space odyssey. I like most of the star trek movies except those JJ Abrahms abominations.

thanks in advance
    The Abyss is one of the best underwater movies ever.

thanks in advance

TV Series: Babylon 5

Farscape was a great series set in space.

Movies: Alien, Aliens, Alien 4 (4 is subpar but fun, skip 3 unless you are really into it or you're a completionist), Event Horizon. If you want more fun and less horror/jump scare stuff, Serenity, Total Recall, Galaxy Quest, Avatar, Armageddon. If you want serious Scifi movies, Apollo 13, The Martian, Sunshine, Solaris, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Contact.

Scifi TV space TV shows. Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse (this is some hard Scifi), Star Trek The Next Generation, ST: Deep Space Nine, Cowboy Bepop, Nightflyers, Firefly (excellent) or just for fun Killjoys or Dark Matter.

Underwater... Well... There's Underwater, The Abyss, Sphere. The only underwater TV show I can think of would be SeaQuest, I recently rewatched SeaQuest, and while it was a 90s kids show... It held up surprisingly well, both in overall theme, maturity and execution.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-07-06 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Yeah, came here to say Sphere as well. I imagine lots of people disliked this movie, but I actually thought the concept was pretty cool. It was an enjoyable film for me.
    I didn't realize they made a movie of this. I think it's one of Crichton's better books. Better look this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Most people are already aware of this one but:

Battlestar Galactica

In my humble opinion it's the best television series ever made, any category.
    The mini-series, and a few episodes of S1 and S2 are really good. However, the show really began to drag even in S1, and they made the story up as they went along so it became increasingly nonsensical. S3 and S4 were horrendous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I like most of the star trek movies except those JJ Abrahms abominations.
    The only really good Star Trek films are the TOS movies, particularly 2, 4, and 6. TMP had some great special effects but it's really slow and perhaps unbearable by modern standards. The TNG movies are... um... well First Contact is the least bad of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Farscape was a great series set in space.
    One thing I liked about Farscape is that it had puppet aliens. The only other live action space opera series that did puppet aliens was Star Wars. In other live action space opera, the aliens are almost always just humans with rubber foreheards. The puppet aliens have a different silhouette and looked really unique and helped visually spruce up the setting.

Seconding Gundam overall, albeit most shows usually have a fraction of their course set in space.
    In the anime genre also don't miss Planetes.

Aside from those mentioned by others, Sunshine is a great movie set in space. Otherwise I have a soft spot for non-fiction like First Man, Apollo 13 and the From the Earth to the Moon mini-serie.

As aforementioned the Abyss is probably the best deep sea movie ever. Seaquest indeed was a nice show, if you'd like a Star Trek set under the sea.
    There's the classic 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"