Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How many feet do you use while driving?

I was carpooling to work with a colleague/friend of mine today and I noticed something very unusual. Instead of driving with just one foot on the pedals and having the other foot dormant, he was using both feet, one on the brake and one on the gas at the same time. I asked him why he was driving like that and he said it's the way he learned it and the way he's always done it.

I've never seen anyone drive like that before. It seems potentially more dangerous than just using one foot. How many feet do you use while driving? Is there an advantage to using two feet?

Clutch says "what?"

Unless you're are a racer or trained in/used too advanced driving techniques left foot braking is at best not beneficial under normal traffic conditions or at worst dangerous to people inexperienced in the technique.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

If I am driving an automatic, I just use one foot. If I am driving standard, two feet.

My dad taught me to use one foot, though my ADHD (uh, I mean depression) prevents me from driving due to safety concerns.

Manually trans 2 for sure. Automatic one. Sometimes when I got to piss really badly 2

7+ Year Old Account
    Three, sometimes four, feet.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I prefer to hover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who doesn't have auto pilot and has to use their feet like a caveman?
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of them.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    well, i never drived an auto car, so, left feet for the clux, right feet for gas and brake.

I mean I measure them in miles, not feet......i use quite the number of miles when i drive everyday
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Two, but its really more of an incidental thing unless I'm track driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at all the people who don't have chauffeurs.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Manually trans 2 for sure.
    Pffft casual.

I drove one of my cars without a clutch for about 6 months heh. I could pump the clutch about 10 times to get going but eventually I had to uh, use the synchros to move it lmao. I only did that once or twice and I was pretty surprised it worked at all considering my car have 350,000kms on the clock and to my knowledge the original trans. The car survived unscathed

On topic, driving with 2 feet in an auto is pretty damned stupid if not outright dangerous. You may not realise it but the pressure required to light up your brake lights is less than the pressure required for you to notice any brake force - and when you need to brake heavily and you have hot brakes? Night Night. It is not a question of do you drive with 2 feet but rather do you actually know how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    For some reason this makes me think of that duke nukem 3d bug where if you kick relentlessly with 2 feet sometimes you can get a 3rd one to appear out of nowhere lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I'm guessing it's only something you do in racing, when quick braking and acceleration is needed to be as fast as possible. I've never come across a person that used both of their feet (and manual drive cars are more common here), but then again that's usually not something I pay attention to so who knows?
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2021-07-07 at 12:41 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I'll definitely never get my driver's license when I use both feet in an auto car. How did he ever get his?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I was carpooling to work with a colleague/friend of mine today and I noticed something very unusual. Instead of driving with just one foot on the pedals and having the other foot dormant, he was using both feet, one on the brake and one on the gas at the same time. I asked him why he was driving like that and he said it's the way he learned it and the way he's always done it.

I've never seen anyone drive like that before. It seems potentially more dangerous than just using one foot. How many feet do you use while driving? Is there an advantage to using two feet?
    I drive a Standard (Manual) transmission. So I use both feet. But only one foot for the accelerator and brake.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Even if you drive an automatic, you should use 2 feet. Moving your foot from one pedal to the other requires time, which is crucial if doing an emergency brake. More so, it requires fine motor skills (meaning it is not naturally instinctual like walking or chewing, and your brain has to engage in the process of coordinating your movement). In an emergency situation people can "freeze" , go into shock, have delayed reactions etc... There is a reason every motorcycle school teaches you that your right hand and your right foot ALWAYS has to be in contact or just above brake levers - your reaction to a dangerous situation should be as basic as possible to minimize your response times. "Danger - press your foot and/or squeeze your hand". That takes about .3-.5 seconds under normal circumstances. Your natural reaction to danger is to curl, tense up. On a motorcycle that means that you squeeze your clutch (disengaging it), squeeze your front brake (engaging it) and due to deceleration your right foot naturally presses your rear brake (engaging it). A process of "danger - lift your foot from the gas pedal - move it to the brake pedal - press the brake pedal" is 2 extra steps that require conscious decisions and therefore are much, much slower and also are prone to failures (like missing a pedal entirely, freezing, slipping etc...).
    An example of someone confusing pedals and freezing. Notice how long the driver was driving before impact, never realizing his mistake.

To be fair, manual transmissions in cars also have the same issue of controlling both of these pedals with your right foot. But for an automatic there is no excuse to not increase your and everyone else's safety.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2021-07-07 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    Even if you drive an automatic, you should use 2 feet. Moving your foot from one pedal to the other requires time, which is crucial if doing an emergency brake. More so, it requires fine motor skills (meaning it is not naturally instinctual like walking or chewing, and your brain has to engage in the process of coordinating your movement). In an emergency situation people can "freeze" , go into shock, have delayed reactions etc... There is a reason every motorcycle school teaches you that your right hand and your right foot ALWAYS has to be in contact or just above brake levers - your reaction to a dangerous situation should be as basic as possible to minimize your response times. "Danger - press your foot and/or squeeze your hand". That takes about .3-.5 seconds under normal circumstances. Your natural reaction to danger is to curl, tense up. On a motorcycle that means that you squeeze your clutch (disengaging it), squeeze your front brake (engaging it) and due to deceleration your right foot naturally presses your rear brake (engaging it). A process of "danger - lift your foot from the gas pedal - move it to the brake pedal - press the brake pedal" is 2 extra steps that require conscious decisions and therefore are much, much slower and also are prone to failures (like missing a pedal entirely, freezing, slipping etc...).
    To be fair, manual transmissions in cars also have the same issue of controlling both of these pedals with your right foot. But for an automatic there is no excuse to not increase your and everyone else's safety.
    You are a fine example of what I am talking about.

Don't rest your foot on the brake pedal, your brake lights are on, this is counterproductive for everyone. If you are not resting your foot on the brake pedal then it is the same as moving your foot from the accelerator to the brake, isn't it? and if you know how to drive NONE of this should be a "conscious" decision. If you are really so flummoxed by this action and you have one foot per pedal then in a "tense situation" you are going to do one of my favorite things more than likely. 100% throttle 100% brake. Happens a fair bit in accidents, just mashing the accelerator.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.