Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What expansion "ending" is your favorite?

After being rather disapointed in the cinematic that was revealed with Sylvanas after everything she have done and even if there is probably more comming i got to think about what expansion have had the best ending so far.

Which one do you guys favor? And why?
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
    www.twitch.tv/mcitra

The ending of Cataclysm, where you see all the various factions celebrating and cheering over Deathwing's defeat - followed by the transition into the more grounded, light-hearted expansion that was MoP - was pretty nice imo

Without Ruby Sanctum, a tacked on raid nobody needed, it'd be Wrath, hands down. With it however I'd go with Mists. It brought Garrosh's story to a nice close (if you just forget WoD existed) and the raid on Orgrimmar was on a scale not seen before in the game (sure, we stormed Undercity before, but while that quest was great back then, it can't compare).
    If I think about Cata's ending the only thing coming to mind is Deathwing going *plop* at the end of the battle. To this day I don't understand how anyone at Blizzard thought this was a worthy ending.
    Regarding TBC, similar to Wrath Sunwell felt tacked on after most of the story took place in Outland and the less that is said about WoD and BfA's endings the better.

P.s. almost forgot Legion. While the expansion as a whole was great, I felt the ending was a bit lackluster and rushed.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2021-07-07 at 01:28 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCitra View Post
    After being rather disapointed in the cinematic that was revealed with Sylvanas after everything she have done and even if there is probably more comming i got to think about what expansion have had the best ending so far.

Which one do you guys favor? And why?
    Probably WotLK, minus the ThEr3 MuSt AlwAyS b3 a liCh K1ng part. The bad guy is finally defeated, he dies, and Terenas gets to say a couple of lines in a more or less elegant fashion - except the last one
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

BfA had the best ending. N'zoth has been around since Cataclysm, constantly teased throughout other expansions, beautifully set up in BfA's introduction and Ny'alotha was fit for his finale. Only thing that would have topped it off would be Ny'alotha being a content zone and not just a raid. But still, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    BfA had the best ending. N'zoth has been around since Cataclysm, constantly teased throughout other expansions, beautifully set up in BfA's introduction and Ny'alotha was fit for his finale. Only thing that would have topped it off would be Ny'alotha being a content zone and not just a raid. But still, it works.
    Yeah dude, a 20 seconds long (literally) cinematic that is just a rip-off of Sauron's death was such an epic and grand conclusion to N'Zoth's story (which as you said was hyped up since Cataclysm). Truly amazing.

Sike. It was such a garbage ending that they unlisted it from youtube.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Back in the day, I loved the Legion climax with Alleria doing her thing and the sword falling on Azeroth. Felt like a precursor to cool things until they decided to ground it with petty faction war leading into "Death"lands instead of Light x Void like it got teased at the end of Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yeah dude, a 20 seconds long (literally) cinematic that is just a rip-off of Sauron's death was such an epic and grand conclusion to N'Zoth's story (which as you said was hyped up since Cataclysm). Truly amazing.
    With the way they shelved Alleria and N'Zoth having this silly end (even if temporary), it feels like Blizz ditched a Void storyline so that they can do Scourge/Sylvanas fan service storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Back in the day, I loved the Legion climax with Alleria doing her thing and the sword falling on Azeroth. Felt like a precursor to cool things until they decided to ground it with petty faction war leading into "Death"lands instead of Light x Void like it got teased at the end of Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

With the way they shelved Alleria and N'Zoth having this silly end (even if temporary), it feels like Blizz ditched a Void storyline so that they can do Scourge/Sylvanas fan service storyline.
    This was justified. They needed to release the 3rd CGI cinematic in a row featuring Sylvanas, who has been a major character since 2004, we wouldn't want them to devote a small little cutscene to talking about Alleria or anything.

In a patch about the Void.

Alleria being the leader of the Void Elves.

Obviously more Wranduin moments were more important.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Sike. It was such a garbage ending that they unlisted it from youtube.
    That's only after the heart of Azeroth gets aimed at him. His death is so epic he needed two cinematics.

That's only after the heart of Azeroth gets aimed at him. His death is so epic he needed two cinematics.
    Bruh No, it's a literal DBZ rip-off, or if you want to remain inside the context of the Warcraft franchise it's a literal Dragon Soul rip-off.

Because players loved how Green Je--- excuse me, Thrall--- oneshot Deathwing Kamehameha-style.

Also it wasn't a cinematic, it was a cutscene. The cutscenes are those in-game events where the characters talk and move all weird because they use their in-game models. They couldn't even make N'Zoth die in CGI style.

BC probably, I liked how the Sunwell ended. It's really the only expansion ending where I have no real problems with the ending except that people unfamiliar with the Sunwell manga were likely confused.

Wrath was tainted for me with the 'there must always be a lich king' thing that sounded super contrived because they just wanted to keep the scourge around, but otherwise would have been a contender. The player characters also felt a little second fiddle to Tirion in the fight, where we basically serve just to motivate him to actually defeat the lich king when Arthas kills the party effortlessly when he's done playing around.

Cata as a bit of an improvement in that regard because while Thrall did finish off Deathwing, it felt like we played a more crucial role in enabling that than just dying, buying the time he needed. If the Madnes of Deathwing encounter had been more interesting as an actual fight it might be my favorite, but while the setup for it is AWESOME (Deathwing's malformed, mutating body rising up out of the maelstrom) the actual fight itself somehow doesn't feel exciting or epic like it should when you're doing it.

MOP ended with empty tough words from Varian that went nowhere and Garrosh being hauled off so he could be a plot coupon to start the next expansion. The less said about WOD the better. In Legion I liked the Velen side of the story but they swung too hard to the opposite extreme trying to 'fix' Illidan after BC and I didn't care for his side of that plot.

5+ Year Old Account
    WotLK? All the cheese that I didn't like in that ending is worse in the others.

Cata's middle finger to the dragons soured everything about the ending, besides the pregnancy announcement.
    MoP's ending was dissatisfying. I really liked the final build-up, but the fact no one got closure and it was tied up in a book (that also went nowhere bc WOD) makes me bitter.
    WoD is a meme and BfA is a similar albeit less extreme meme.

Legion and BC are in a weird limbo where I kinda hate 90% of what the lore was, but it was so obviously "rule of cool" I don't bother trying to find logic.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    cinematic ending? wrath for better or worse, specially since speculation (back then) was that Nerzhul took over Bolvar and is buying time to return and forced Uther talk bullshit about must be lich king to keep himself alive (undead?)
    MoP ending is also good, feel justified
    Cata is meh, probably because how DS is so bad that i can't think of that cinematic without thinking of DS, and DS IS worst raid ever
    WoD... don't make me laugh
    Legion feels not real ending, we waiting for Sargeras, no hint message, we know he will come, just wait
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

1. Legion's ending with Illidan sending a final message to Malfurion and Tyrande, and their memory in Nordrassil

2. Cataclysme ending with dragon aspect in Nordrassil

Best endings are always happen in Nordrassil.

I always really liked the TBC ending. It had a proper conclusion of ending the ''Burning Crusade'' that was the Burning Legion by pushing back Kil'jaeden, telling him that Azeroth lives another day. And you have the blood elves and draenei team up and give both of their races a proper conclusion aswell for redeeming the Sunwell and the naaru. It shows that you don't need to have a cinematic either to give an ending, just an in-game event where everyone is involved.

WotLK ending is also solid for the Arthas bit, having his father by his side to hold him as he dies. It happened quick but it was also very powerful. I didn't care for ''there must always be a Lich King'' and I could already tell that Bolvar was going to be a discount LK. A better ending IMO would be having both Jaina and Sylvanas approach Arthas and reminiscence of their past, with Sylvanas accepting that now that her vengeance has been satisfied she kills herself for good. Jaina would take Arthas' corpse to be buried in Stormwind.

All other endings don't really do anything for me.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Is there anything more important than wanking to Sylvanas (and Anduin) 24/7?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Bruh No, it's a literal DBZ rip-off, or if you want to remain inside the context of the Warcraft franchise it's a literal Dragon Soul rip-off.

Because players loved how Green Je--- excuse me, Thrall--- oneshot Deathwing Kamehameha-style.

Also it wasn't a cinematic, it was a cutscene. The cutscenes are those in-game events where the characters talk and move all weird because they use their in-game models. They couldn't even make N'Zoth die in CGI style.
    These impositions only serve to narrow the definition of an 'ending' to an absurd degree. Every expansion looks meagre through this filter.

MOP, Wrath riiiggghhhhhht before Lich King 2 is announced.

These impositions only serve to narrow the definition of an 'ending' to an absurd degree. Every expansion looks meagre through this filter.
    Bro, it's a literal 20 seconds long cinematic clearly inspired by LOTR, there isn't even any dialogue. The reaction was so overwhelmingly negative that they unlisted it after a few hours. How can you defend it? It's the most garbage ending cinematic by far.