Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Haiti President Jovenel Moïse assassinated at home

https://www.yahoo.com/news/official-...102018593.html

Gunmen assassinated Haitian President Jovenel Moïse and wounded his wife in their home early Wednesday, inflicting more chaos on the unstable Caribbean country that was already enduring an escalation of gang violence, anti-government protests and a recent surge in coronavirus infections.

Claude Joseph, the interim prime minister, confirmed the killing and said the police and military were in control of security in Haiti, where a history of dictatorship and political upheaval have long stymied the consolidation of democratic rule.

While the streets of the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, were quiet Wednesday morning, some people ransacked businesses in one area. The country appeared to be heading for fresh uncertainty ahead of planned general elections later this year. Moïse, 53, had been ruling by decree for more than a year after the country failed to hold elections and the opposition demanded he step down in recent months.

Former President Michel Martelly, whom Moïse succeeded, said he was praying for first lady Martine Moïse, calling the assassination “a hard blow for our country and for Haitian democracy, which is struggling to find its way.”

Joseph said Martine Moïse, 47, was shot and in a hospital. He condemned the president's killing as a “hateful, inhumane and barbaric act.”

“The country’s security situation is under the control of the National Police of Haiti and the Armed Forces of Haiti," Joseph said in a statement from his office. “Democracy and the republic will win.”

Well, more instability over there. Nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

That country just can't ever get a break.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brutal. I can see why people have been fleeing the country in recent years in such large numbers, with all the violence and crime, so much instability politically and economically as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Brutal. I can see why people have been fleeing the country in recent years in such large numbers, with all the violence and crime, so much instability politically and economically as well.
    What do you mean by "recent years"? They have been fleeing the country for decades now. Haiti is the humbling proof that democracy can also make a country fail. I am completely disillusionned about the place. They probably were better off with Papa Doc.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    What do you mean by "recent years"? They have been fleeing the country for decades now. Haiti is the humbling proof that democracy can also make a country fail. I am completely disillusionned about the place. They probably were better off with Papa Doc.
    I do not think it's democracy failing per say, it's just after Papa Doc several foreign interests have always been involved in the country's affairs. Jovenel Moise was a wanna be dictator responsible for the deaths of many who was being supported by the United States. I am not sure why but the US and other countries have always muddied the waters for this country after the dictatorship left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I do not think it's democracy failing per say, it's just after Papa Doc several foreign interests have always been involved in the country's affairs. Jovenel Moise was a wanna be dictator responsible for the deaths of many who was being supported by the United States. I am not sure why but the US and other countries have always muddied the waters for this country after the dictatorship left.
    Being supported by the United States does not mean much. As far as I know, every democratically elected president of Haiti since Jean-Bertrand Aristide has been supported by the Americans. How much money has been sent in aid by USA, Canada and other countries and charitable organisations that ended in the pockets of the Haitian president and his cronies instead of the people? Including the crook who died today? Because let's be clear: I've read about the guy, and if only half of it was true, he fully deserved what he got. Even his legitimacy is highly debatable (and has been debated for the last two years).

Being supported by the United States does not mean much. As far as I know, every democratically elected president of Haiti since Jean-Bertrand Aristide has been supported by the Americans. How much money has been sent in aid by USA, Canada and other countries and charitable organisations that ended in the pockets of the Haitian president and his cronies instead of the people? Including the crook who died today? Because let's be clear: I've read about the guy, and if only half of it was true, he fully deserved what he got. Even his legitimacy is highly debatable (and has been debated for the last two years).
    Actually it means a lot more than that, there's always foreign and domestic election meddling. In a country so poor everyone is well armed with American weapons and ammunition that's no coincidence. The charitable organizations are not only embezzled by dirty politicians but the NGOs even "reputable" foundations have cooked up their books. That's not even going into how NGOs caused a pandemic and a rise in STDS, it gets worse the more you look into it.

You can say Haiti is being "helped" to death.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...-assassinated/

A U.S. citizen of Haitian descent has been arrested in connection with the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse, a senior official here said Thursday.

James Solages, a U.S. citizen, is among the six people arrested so far in Moïse’s killing, according to Mathias Pierre, Haiti’s minister of elections and inter-party relations. Pierre told The Washington Post that at least one other detainee is also believed to be a Haitian American. Four other suspects have been killed, authorities have said.

The assassination of Moïse early Wednesday has deepened the spiraling political crisis in this impoverished Caribbean nation.

Authorities have not yet provided evidence of the detainees’ alleged involvement in the assassination.

Pierre shared a video of two suspects being apprehended and jeered by a surrounding crowd. He said the detainees were being held at a police station in the capital that had been surrounded by an angry mob.

“The special units are trying to protect the police station, because the population is very mad and is trying to get to them, to burn them,” he said. “We’re trying to avoid that.”

Authorities have not released the names of the other detainees, but Haitian Communications Minister Pradel Henriquez has described them as “foreigners.”
    Well this is taking some unexpected turns.

ut oh it was a florida man

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Not really Haiti has a long history of American backed coups and meddling, I believe the last American led coup was against Aristide in 2009ish recalling from memory. In this case though not sure since Biden backed this dictator.

Doesn't have to be foreign intrest also national. No dictator stays in power without support from other people (for example military) and those that have enjoyed a live of privilege are probably afraid to loss that wealth if the big boss/figurehead ever gets disposed.

Egypte is maybe the most obvious and recent example. Previously military backed dictator got removed from power, soon after they had elections, shortly after elections the guy that won the election got removed by the military and the guy currently in charge is backed by the military.
    Foreign powers backed the previously and current military backed government but the main guys doing this are the Egyptians themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Doesn't have to be foreign intrest also national. No dictator stays in power without support from other people (for example military) and those that have enjoyed a live of privilege are probably afraid to loss that wealth if the big boss/figurehead ever gets disposed.

Egypte is maybe the most obvious and recent example. Previously military backed dictator got removed from power, soon after they had elections, shortly after elections the guy that won the election got removed by the military and the guy currently in charge is backed by the military.
    Foreign powers backed the previously and current military backed government but the main guys doing this are the Egyptians themselves.
    Haiti is a bid messy the country is for all intents and purposes in a civil war with military split and warlords who are fighting for territory with the government having their own proxy warlord. There are so many people that could be involved in killing him not to mention the government itself with two prime ministers each who would benefit from his death saying they are now in charge.

Haiti is a bid messy the country is for all intents and purposes in a civil war with military split and warlords who are fighting for territory with the government having their own proxy warlord. There are so many people that could be involved in killing him not to mention the government itself with two prime ministers each who would benefit from his death saying they are now in charge.
    Well a corruption scene is a zero sum game and if you steal money from regular citizens to enrich your buddies you those citizens will eventually form militias. I'm not that familiare with internal Haïti politics or who these warlords are but what your describing now is the exact same situation of countries who had been under the influence of foreign powers.

So it looks like a load of columbian mercs (ex soldiers) were involved. Sicaro's for hire. Not surprising given how highly trained they are (and cheaper than Americans!). This is all pretty strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Not really, unless you are into conspiracy theories (Russian webpages are already screaming about American coup attempt, lol). Almost everyone were Columbians and those two are of local descent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

> democracy has "failed"
    > let's bring back dictators
    hmmm

- - - Updated - - -

Not really Haiti has a long history of American backed coups and meddling, I believe the last American led coup was against Aristide in 2009ish recalling from memory. In this case though not sure since Biden backed this dictator.
    I mean it's pretty strong evidence that its foreign meddling that's the greater cause of instability than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Not really, unless you are into conspiracy theories (Russian webpages are already screaming about American coup attempt, lol). Almost everyone were Columbians and those two are of local descent.
    I feel like you can't help but bring up Russia in every single thread, kek. Anyway, could you please provide links to those webpages please?

So far all the major Russian news outlets have mentioned they were Haitian-American and didn't scream about their alleged connections to US govt, which actually surprised me because I was totally expecting the opposite since some US/UK news outlets indulge in conspiracy theories whenever Russian citizens are involved in an operation.
    Last edited by alkyd; 2021-07-09 at 07:30 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Last I looked, colombia was under US control..

edit: Lol just checked, after arrest of colombians, looks like they bagged some americans too, cia goons?
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-10 at 07:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    > democracy has "failed"
    > let's bring back dictators
    hmmm
    I am not for dictatorship, on the contrary. Still, democracy is not the Panacea. The democratic institutions in Haiti lie in ruins and are completely discredited. The National Assembly is empty, since the reforms of the electoral laws have not been adopted. There are no more representatives in function. For the same reason, only a third of the senators still are in function. The President is (was) ruling only by decree. Since there is no civil debate in the assemblies, it is transfered by the mob to the streets. Can we even call that a democracy? A country first needs order, security and stability. Then businesses can open, people can send their children to school, hospitals can operate. If a "president" can't bring that order, then maybe a dictator or a monarch can. Preferably of the enlightened kind. A rarity, I know.