Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    if u exclude cata, his story is consistent, so he does go out doing what he believes, even if what he believes is wrong
    however
    we also have confirmed lore answer that Garrosh did regret his actions in MoP, and if it wasn't for that bronze dragon he would ask for repent for his actions, so probably - like cata - half of lore team didn't get that memo because while they work in same building in same department in same fucking office, half of lore team is busy smoking weed it seems to notice anything other team does
    because that's how a retard team like actiblizz lore team works sadly
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Garrosh cutscene was not bad...i mean...i wouldnt call it "incredible" either...but bad? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    You = / = almost no one.
    It's clearly more than just him. You're right that there were probably a lot of minds made up prior to watching the cinematic, but it's hard to blame them given how bland the story has been up to this point. Sylvanas has been such a boring, one dimensional villain for the past few years that anything other than the brief satisfaction of having her finally written out of the story was going to cause an uproar. Trying to redeem an irredeemable character isn't going to pan out well, and pretty much the only people who are into it are Sylvanas fans who are only a minority of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Yeah. Where is the Sylvanas gang to address this wrongdoing? Maybe they can set the record straight.
    Maybe WoW players could attempt to harness their collective negativity into an infinitely renewable energy source and use it to power the world's first self-sustaining nuclear fission reactor. We could save the world one terribly thought-out, totally non-constructive and desperate attempt at validation at a time.

I wish Blizzard didn't validate my preconceptions of them and surprised me instead. But they're just that predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    Is the glorious ridiculousness which was Garrosh and his absolutely ham-fisted yet finalized ending, for real. This has to be the bottom of the barrel and how blind people are about it amazes me.

He did not put Teldrassil on fire; Sure. But he did slaughter masses of people in his life - The death tally caused by his interaction alone during the WoD section of the game can surely hold somewhat of a candle to Sylvanas putting the torch to the great tree, and here he goes out - Saying he would do it all again while screaming For The Horde. His Horde that is... Which by all means would have been the most pathetic Horde ever. I miss when people actually were being ironic when saying "Garrosh did nothing wrong" - Dude went out like a chump, not a chad and I loved every single moment of it.
    I think you are right. Consider the time when Blizzard writers were actually pushing Garrosh. Every patch he had a different goal/motivation...so nothing has changed. The only thing I see people saying is “well he stuck to his character”, ignoring the fact that his character was a patchwork, one that people hated on this forum at that time as well and justifiably so.

You can do this with Garrosh, he was a nobody, but the stakes are not the same when you are dealing with a faction leader, who was popular and a leader of one of the most played factions in the game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    But for real I would like to know what goes trough the heads of the ones in charge of the Warcraft story over at ActiBlizz. Surely they knew the community would get a kick from what now obviously seems to be Sylvanas getting a redemption arc. And yes there is by all means good money in that because; much like this thread - things like this sparks conversation. But there is this one side of me just that don't want to believe that ActiBlizz is going all this just because "Controversy = Traction = More money" There is still something holding on somewhere in me that wants to think that "Surely this will all amount to something similar to their past writing" <- Which by no means was GREAT, but it was better than what we got now.

What do you all think? Is the WoW story just a rudderless ship which is being written to simply push obvious buttons of a community in order to scrape out every single coin that can be snagged? Or does someone think that ActiBlizz at any point will turn things on it's head for a better change?
    I will tell you what I think about the writing team or Blizzard these days in general. The talent has left the house. That´s it. The replacement are woke idiots, because, and pretty much all of the Blizzard leaks came to be true, they hire cheap workers. How are you supposed to replace the talent that has left? No chance, between the big names like Metzen there are many more who left. There is NO going back from that. The current people in charge are more motivated with pointing out worthless death threats on twitter (grow the fuck up), then justifying their design or story decisions.

Couple that with zero customer support, and down right hatred for their fan base, and what I mean is you never go against your biggest streamer and I fully believe the reddit post because it fits.

Well...i see a bunch of c*nts, being put in charge of one of the biggest franchies in history and changing it at their will without any(!) respect of what came before. That will be their end, not in “wow is dead”, it will not be dead. But it will continue to shrink like the rest of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    There is nothing controversial in the cutscene. Villains turning against each is common in storytelling, villains changing sides is common, people being used and lied to is common. There is very little in the cutscene to get mad about. Hell FF 14 had the entire enemy nation turn out to be puppets of a bigger enemy, its not new.

Also consider this, if he gave Sylvanas back her life and a repaired soul then she can be killed for good. Where does she go once she is killed?
    That depends on how many Sylvanas bobble heads sell...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    It's clearly more than just him. You're right that there were probably a lot of minds made up prior to watching the cinematic, but it's hard to blame them given how bland the story has been up to this point. Sylvanas has been such a boring, one dimensional villain for the past few years that anything other than the brief satisfaction of having her finally written out of the story was going to cause an uproar. Trying to redeem an irredeemable character isn't going to pan out well, and pretty much the only people who are into it are Sylvanas fans who are only a minority of the playerbase.
    I don't know if we watched the same cinematic but I certainly didn't see a redemption arc. I saw her resisting The Jailor at the last minute, her eyes changing colors then being told to "stay tuned" to find out what happens next. Yeah, ~something~ happened to her character but it's clear there's more to the story and I'd like to think Blizzard's writers aren't so shallow to simply write in a vapid redemption arc after all of the extremely negative feedback Sylvanas' story in general has received lately. I could be wrong but I feel like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions that aren't fully clear as of yet.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-07-07 at 08:32 PM.

I loved that, after all it means we don't have to deal with orc hitler ever again, he and his whiny bitch ass are dead for good. That is probably the only good thing about the whole patch.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Pretty sure Varodoc is referring to Sylvanas talking to Anduin, not the Jailer. Anduin talked to her for like, a few minutes, and that planted all the seeds of doubt she needed to do yet another 180 and betray the new Big Bad she decided to work for.
    That sounds kind of familiar to the whole Durotan/Orgrim dynamic in WoD. Orgrim/Sylvanas has been convinced what they're doing is the right thing to do, that there's no other way. Durotan/Anduin try to get them to see there's another way, but it's not until new circumstances unfold (seeing Shattrath slaughtered down to the man/realizing the Jailer kept her in the dark about Nathanos) that they start to have doubts about their leaders (Blackhand/Jailer).
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

There is no storytelling team it's just 3 yogurts in a trenchcoat

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    The story is pretty much written with only rule of cool in mind. And I don't mean in the sense of "It is pretty cool how well this is written" but in the "Explosions are cool, pirates are cool, dragons are cool" sense. Apparently WoW still makes enough money, so they won't change and make an effort.

WoW has never been more than this though. It has always been a popcorn flick. Most players don't care or even follow the story beyond what they see in cinematics.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if we watched the same cinematic but I certainly didn't see a redemption arc. I saw her resisting The Jailor at the last minute, her eyes changing colors then being told to "stay tuned" to find out what happens next. Yeah, ~something~ happened to her character but it's clear there's more to the story and I'd like to think Blizzard's writers aren't so shallow to simply write in a vapid redemption arc after all of the extremely negative feedback Sylvanas' story in general has received lately. I could be wrong but I feel like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions that aren't fully clear as of yet.
    They could just go the easy route and stick to what Shadowlands is. Redemption and service or drained of anima and thrown into the maw. I think though whatever they do people will hate it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Id say the primus reveal was worse.
    "No dont take the sigil to Torghast"
    "Must take sigil to Torghast"
    [Insert suprised pikachu]

Lore team should find a tree and apologize it for wasting the oxygen it produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    The story is pretty much written with only rule of cool in mind. And I don't mean in the sense of "It is pretty cool how well this is written" but in the "Explosions are cool, pirates are cool, dragons are cool" sense. Apparently WoW still makes enough money, so they won't change and make an effort.

As for Garrosh: After how everyone is doing 180 turns in their personality and even how undead they really are, it was refreshing to see somebody who continued to be an unrepentant bag of dicks for his entire story.
    Or ye know, a literal Pirate Dragon in the new dungeon? :3

10+ Year Old Account
    The point is that most of the people circlejerking "shit writing" already determined it was shit before watching the cinematic. It wouldn't have mattered what happened. These same people would still be complaining that Blizzard "missed the mark," because, well, Blizzard sucks.
    I don't understand entirely what you're trying to say. I think for the most part, most people recognize patterns. When a person, a story, a movie etc.. have a consistent pattern of something, isn't it normal to have preconceived notions? I'm not happy with the game or the story in the least bit, but that doesn't make me an unrelenting "hater". My opinion comes from a set pattern Blizzard has established over the years. Sure some people may blindly disregard/hate, but I'll gladly give credit where it's due and change my opinion when Blizzard changes their pattern.

If you order from a particular restaurant and they get your order wrong often enough, you now have it in your head that this isn't a bug, but a feature. So you stop ordering from this restaurant. They change management, say they'll do better and you decide to take a chance but you already have it in their head that they're gonna fuck up. I don't see why we can't apply that same logic here as you would say.. relationships with people, the stories you read, the products you consume. EA has shown a pattern of being shady so you assume x game is going to be ass. Blizzard has been doing the same thing.

I just don't get your perspective.

I don't know. Was the cinematic you saw the one with her trying to rush the Jailer away from the defeated enemies she'd been trying to kill for years and giving those not-so-subtle "oh no, the villain I've been willingly helping this whole time is a villain" glances? Now, I don't expect a full on redemption arc turning Sylvanas into a hero that's going to happily join the ranks of the characters she'd been trying to crush, enslave, and assassinate, but it still feels like a hamfisted twist for such an irredeemable villain to have her suddenly go from "we have what we need, let's go" to "never mind, you seem like a bad guy. Here's an arrow instead" in less than 30 seconds.

this community will never be happy, you're all the worst fans imaginable

Imagine using the word "Actiblizz" unironically
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by gleepot View Post
    this community will never be happy, you're all the worst fans imaginable
    Incorrect. That distinct honor goes to Star Wars fans.

Want proof? Watch this:

The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars film in two decades.