Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Speculation] Arthas Possessing Anduin? *spoilers*

So Zovaal plucked a blue crystal from his soul vault and socketed kingsmourne with it. Then used it to possess Anduin in a meat puppet suit.

Now at the end of the SOD raid, Zovaal also gets Sylv’s soul from the same soul chamber that looks exactly the crystal used for kingsmourne. We know that crystal contained her soul portion in it.

This pretty much confirms that Zovaal is using arthas’ spirit to control Anduin right? That would explain why Anduin’s hair turned grey, unless domination magic has that effect on blondes…, and would explain why Uther did a double take in Bastion and touched his frostmourne inflicted scar when Anduin walked past him.

Could just be a powerful soul? Or a soul that was twisted and broken into something useful? There's really no reason to believe that it was Arthas, currently, there's been no reference to him at all in the Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    So Zovaal plucked a blue crystal from his soul vault and socketed kingsmourne with it. Then used it to possess Anduin in a meat puppet suit.

Now at the end of the SOD raid, Zovaal also gets Sylv’s soul from the same soul chamber that looks exactly the crystal used for kingsmourne. We know that crystal contained her soul portion in it.

This pretty much confirms that Zovaal is using arthas’ spirit to control Anduin right? That would explain why Anduin’s hair turned grey, unless domination magic has that effect on blondes…, and would explain why Uther did a double take in Bastion and touched his frostmourne inflicted scar when Anduin walked past him.
    Could be Arthas, could be Nathanos or basically any other soul ever claimed by the Jailer. But yeah, doesn't seem unlikely that it's Arthas considering all the parallels between him Anduin they were trying to highlight in the last couple of years.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

I wouldn't put it past Blizzard to do just that, but I think this has more to do with how mourneblades are made rather than "possessing" someone with another's soul. After all, it was Zovaal who spoke through Anduin in Bastion, not Arthas; and Uther could simply be remembering Frostmourne in the presence of Kingsmourne.

Was Arthas soul split and put in a crystal? He was never hurt by frostmourne? Also by your logic Arthas hair turned gray because he was controlled by his own soul? None of these shower thoughts make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Could just be a powerful soul? Or a soul that was twisted and broken into something useful? There's really no reason to believe that it was Arthas, currently, there's been no reference to him at all in the Shadowlands.
    Well we know he was thrown into the maw.

But again, why did uther double take towards him, as if he felt a familiar presence and touch his scar, I dont think Uther ever even met Anduin as a baby.

there is a none zero percent chance Arthas is involved to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Was Arthas soul split and put in a crystal? He was never hurt by frostmourne? Also by your logic Arthas hair turned gray because he was controlled by his own soul? None of these shower thoughts make any sense.
    No, but his soul was sent to the maw. The Jailer also has a special place for his most valuable souls. He could have easily put Arthas there.

As for his hair, IDK what caused Arthas' hair to turn grey, but if his spirit is being used as a tool to control Anduin then maybe it had that effect since he's also blonde.

Have you played WC3? His soul was the first to be claimed by Frostmourne.

I think that would support the visual parallels made in the cinematics as well as zero mention of Arthas anywhere in the Maw.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    There's really no reason to believe that it was Arthas, currently, there's been no reference to him at all in the Shadowlands.
    Agreed. Besides, whhy would the Blue Man want to socket Andy's blade precisely with the spirit/soul or w/e of Arthas? As far as we know, from Zovaal's PoV Arthas was quite an unruly, and ultimately unsatisfactory employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Have you played WC3? His soul was the first to be claimed by Frostmourne.
    As far as I know, the RTS games are not direct canon to WoW. Just a main driving force and huge well of lore to draw from as/if needed.
    That stated, what I mean is this: if in WC3 he was struck down by Frostmourne before becoming the LK, then that is in direct conflict with WoW as it’s shown, in game, that he and Magni tracked it down and Arthas willingly took up the cursed blade and thereby gave up his soul.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP:
    Blizzard could go this direction. I’d rather they did not, but that’s my opinion. It could be just as likely that Zovaal just needed a powerful soul to empower the blade and bind the user to him.

As to Uther, he could have easily just have touched his scar due to the similarities between Anduin and the new blade to that of Arthas.

I don't think Arthas is literally possessing Anduin, since he seems to be primarily under Zovaal's control. Seems more like Arthas's soul is like a battery for Shalamourne.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the armor that's MCing Anduin and not the sword, correct? Since when Anduin briefly breaks free of its influence during the Kingsmourne cinematic, we see it start to glow before Anduin is once again MCed

As far as I know, the RTS games are not direct canon to WoW.
    Jez, it’s statements like these that show how messy this franchise is. Truly amazing anyone can make this statement…

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    As far as I know, the RTS games are not direct canon to WoW. Just a main driving force and huge well of lore to draw from as/if needed.
    That stated, what I mean is this: if in WC3 he was struck down by Frostmourne before becoming the LK, then that is in direct conflict with WoW as it’s shown, in game, that he and Magni tracked it down and Arthas willingly took up the cursed blade and thereby gave up his soul.
    I mean, his soul gets stolen by Frostmourne either way. What difference does it make if it gets claimed by being struck or by willingly offering it?

Well we know he was thrown into the maw.

But again, why did uther double take towards him, as if he felt a familiar presence and touch his scar, I dont think Uther ever even met Anduin as a baby.
    I think it's just simply that Anduin "physically" resembled Arthas in appearance. In the cinematic, Uther notices him as he's walking by, and then we get a side view of Anduin (I think this was meant to showcase the similar profile of Arthas and Anduin). After that, then Uther touches his scar. Maybe it was just a moment of "Oh, I see someone who resembles somebody who hurt me and now I'm having bad memories" type of thing.
    Last edited by Marine1; 2021-07-08 at 03:29 PM.

I was thinking the same thing. It

10+ Year Old Account
    I did wonder why Uther did that double take, but then again he sees a random human walking in Elysian Hold so why not look again - not like it happens often.

More likely to me seems that touching his scar was because of the mournblade having the same magic that Frostmourne did and thus making him "feel" something.

It makes no sense for Arthas to be inside Anduin and behaving like a puppet, also Zovaal spoke through Anduin so it seems like he's just under Zovaals control. Arthas's soul could however be inside Kingsmourne.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

15+ Year Old Account
    Confirmed? No. Just a good chance of it being the case. It could also just be an "empty" gem so it can suck out the sigils/whatever. It would be an interesting twist if it was Varian in the sword as a way to torture or distract Anduin
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Confirmed? No. Just a good chance of it being the case. It could also just be an "empty" gem so it can suck out the sigils/whatever. It would be an interesting twist if it was Varian in the sword as a way to torture or distract Anduin
    It would but Varian died before the wheel of death broke so he wouldn't be with the jailer.