What are your Favorite fan theories you have heard over the years?

about any show movie etc

i would say Waterloo road blowing the school an moving to Scotland

Dan Aykroyd is playing Dan Aykroyd and we are all unknowingly apart of a movie about his life.

R + L = J.

This IS a thread about fan theories that got utterly shat upon by incompetent hack writers, right?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by JABoyle3875 View Post
    R + L = J.

This IS a thread about fan theories that got utterly shat upon by incompetent hack writers, right?
    That is still technically a fan theory because it is not confirmed in the source material.

---

I enjoy most fan theories, some are a bit more interesting than others. For example, I like the fan theory that Scooby Doo takes place during a depression.
    Or that the Courage the Cowardly Dog is just the life of a normal dog told through the dog's perspective and all the weird stuff is just normal things for us but are weird for a dog.

I am not a fan of the "Main Character is secretly in a coma" or "It's all a dream" theories that are built on basically nothing.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That is still technically a fan theory because it is not confirmed in the source material.
    Ah, but I am speaking specifically of the TV show, that's why I put in the incompetent hack writers part.

And I doubt GRRM would have let them put it in there, a plot point THAT big, with that much history behind it, without intending to keep it in the books when he (or the person who gets to finish them when he dies before they are done, at the rate he is going) gets to writing that part of whatever book it'll be in.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah, but I am speaking specifically of the TV show, that's why I put in the incompetent hack writers part.
    Yeah, they really mess all that up. Pretty much after they got so far beyond the books they were building off their own stuff it got worse. Though there were signs they didn't understand what they were doing before. I hated a lot of their diverging from the books and dumbing down of some characters like Littlefinger.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

That a supposed Superman curse from the original Superman creators is responsible for the ill begotten fates of George Reeves, Christopher Reeves and Margot Kidder.

That there were more than one person playing The Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior in the 90's.

Playing The Joker killed Health Ledger, when in reality, he was halfway through filming another movie when he passed and had long wrapped up filming work on The Dark Knight.

• Star Trek DS9: Section 31 doesn't exist. Sloan is just an amoral, egotistical ex-Starfleet officer operating by himself. Sloan obsessed over Julian because he wanted validation. For the Changeling virus, Sloan just contract that job out to some amoral laboratory.
    • Trails series: (massive CS4 ending and Hajimari/Trails into Reverie spoiler) the normal ending timeline really did happen. As the world ended 3 years later, one of the last survivors of humanity invented time travel and changed the timeline on the planet, resulting in the True Ending timeline happening. Because normal ending Rean was orbiting the planet (or breached the firmament and visited the Outside), he was out of range of the timeline reset, thus he touched down to the planet and managed to meet True Ending Rean. (Jossed as of Hajimari/Reverie's release). Another theory I liked was that the Fuhrer Rufus was also from the original normal ending timeline. He made a pact with Ishmelga/Rean and took over Zemuria, and was invading the true ending timeline. (Also jossed as of the game's release)
    • Trails series: Septium veins are actually the fossilized remains of people.
    • Trails series: Bracer Grant was actually Lechter in disguise. Cassius Bright was the only character in the Sky games to have met both Grant and Lechter, and he grimaced when Lechter showed up with the Chancellor, almost as if he recgonized him (jossed as of CS4).
    • Trails series: Andre, the violinist you meet in CS1 and CS2, who also just so happens to be present whenever Ouroboros stuff is going down, is actually the 1st Anguis of Ouroboros. He is noticeably absent from Erebonia in CS3 and CS4... which is also when the First Anguis is attacking Arteria.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-09 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That the OP is a bot and the mods are complicit in their data collection via social engineering.
    I laughed at this harder than I should have.

Basically any of the speculations that appeared on r/StarWarsLeaks ahead of 8 and 9, much preferable and lore consistent than what we actually got.

R + L = J.

Remind me what that is again? It sounds familiar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    So I think GRRM knows that his ending probably won't be too well received, and will be heavily dissected to a degree he never could have imagined in 1996 when he started the series as a relative unknown.
    The core issue is that "subverting expectations" is a trick you get to pull once.

After the Red Wedding, nothing else was a shock.

It's also by no means a new trick; the Elric of Melnibone books were doing subversion of tropes much better much earlier. Just by way of example.

To contribute my own, we're gonna go Star Wars.

Qui-Gon Jinn is a secret Sith.

1> His master was Dooku, who we know was Sith. (I know the official timeline says Dooku turned later, but that being wrong is part of this.)
    2> Qui-Gon is the one who's pushing for Anakin's training, despite all the risks and portents of doom around the kid.
    3> He's known to be a wild card who doesn't follow rules well. He'll ignore the Council and do what he wants.
    4> His last dying wish was to be absolutely sure Anakin got to become a Jedi and bring balance to the Force. And we know he did. And that bringing that balance meant annihilating the Jedi.
    5> Definitely way more emotion-oriented than most Jedi.

Why send Maul when Jinn's got the Chosen One under control? Maybe Dooku was bucking Palpatine's hand. Maybe because making Sith apprentices fight each other is time-honored tradition. Who knows?

Qui-gonn. Sith.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    While you can't defend the writing of season 8, I also think that good old GRRM is stuck because he encountered a conundrum. His original plan for the series was to be subversive and constantly upend expectations, and now that the series is huge he's encountered two problems:

1. Fans figured out a lot of his twists before the books came out - remember he started writing this in the 90s so never expected having to write a book where the big reveal is "R+L=J" and 95% of fans are like "duh we know".

2. Seems he was setting up a contrast between John Snow as the prototypical hero and Bran the surprise winner at the end... but everyone prefers the prototypical guy. We want to see John beat the Night King in a battle on dragons after discovering he is azor ahai and getting some cool powerups. We don't want the crippled guy hooked up to tree juice high on sap to be the guy. Seriously, even among people who just read the books, how many actual Bran fans are out there?

So I think GRRM knows that his ending probably won't be too well received, and will be heavily dissected to a degree he never could have imagined in 1996 when he started the series as a relative unknown.
    I like book Bran ... not show Bran.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why send Maul when Jinn's got the Chosen One under control?
    False flag operation to distract the Jedi from Qui-gon and Anakin. The Jedi will focus on protecting them and look elsewhere for the Sith. Given how secretive Palpatine is, it'd make perfect sense that he wouldn't tell Maul that Qui-gon was actually another one of his agents and Palp doesn't care if Maul gets killed. Even if Maul does kill Qui-gon and capture Anakin, Palpatine can just leak their location to the Jedi, so Maul gets killed anyway and the Jedi rescue Anakin and think they have to protect him from the Sith.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Basically any of the speculations that appeared on r/StarWarsLeaks ahead of 8 and 9, much preferable and lore consistent than what we actually got.

Remind me what that is again? It sounds familiar.
    Game of Thrones.

And stow it, people, about spoilers - the episode that confirmed this theory for the TV-verse aired nearly FOUR YEARS AGO.

Rhaegar (Targaryen) + Lyanna (Stark, Ned's sister) = Jon (Snow)

Of course, Ned being Robert Baratheon's right hand man knew that Robert would kill any Targaryen he got his hands on, so at his sister's dying request he passed her kid (I THINK she wanted to name him Aemon Targaryen) off as his bastard.

Rhaegar didn't kidnap and r*pe Lyanna, they fell in love and were wed in secret - so Jon rightfully wasn't a Snow. Rhaegar's marriage to Elia Martell was annulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post

Playing The Joker killed Health Ledger, when in reality, he was halfway through filming another movie when he passed and had long wrapped up filming work on The Dark Knight.
    Yea, a lot of people forget that. I listened to Michael Jai White talking about filming on TDK, and said that as soon as the cameras stopped, Ledger would come out of character and would laugh and joke with the cast, he was utterly against the idea that the role consumed him.

On topic, I liked the indoctrination theory from ME3. It was actually highly plausible and could have been used as the basis for a new ending, though was never going to happen, and was just born out of fan desperation.

I also liked the Rinoa==Ultimecia in FF8. I think the creators outright denied this one, however I still liked it, based on Rinoa telling Squall in space how she wished time would just stop to that moment, and with Ultimecia's GF having the same name of Squall's ring, with people arguing that Squall is the GF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    The grand northern conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    The grand northern conspiracy
    I forgot about this one, I am keen to see what happens with this, if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.