Poll: Will they stop after Classic WoTLK or keep going?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Will they stop after Classic WoTLK or keep going (Classic Cata, MoP, etc.)

I believe they will keep going indefinitely. Probably slowing down at some point (not release a classic every 2 years but perhaps every 3 years), 2023 Classic WoTLK, 2025 MoP, 2028 Cata, etc.).

This will give the WoW sub more value and a reason to keep the sub as they are giving you many different versions of the game to play on many different servers.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

classic cata sounds like an oxymoron to me but, to retain subs they probably would just keep it going assuming the demand is there. mmos have that sunk cost fallacy keeping them going, you've put x amount years into a character you probably aren't just going to give up on a whim unless you really don't want to play the game any more. the game retains subs even from the most jaded of us.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-07-09 at 02:24 AM.

I think IF they release classic MoP nobody will play retail anymore, so maybe they won't release it at all.

I'm just waiting on WoW Classic Classic

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why they wouldn't keep going, but I'd be surprised if they don't change the formula up a bit. First, I think at some point they would implement a fresh start server system that will rotate through the expansions again, maybe at a year to 18 month pace. Secondly, I think the releases of new expansions will have to slow down at some point. They're not at breakneck speed now or anything, but I think 2 years might make them catch up to present day too fast.

The newer content doesn't need to be revamped/recoded, so if they DO decide to have classic content beyond Wrath, they might go with a Diablo Seasons model and let people play each raid tier as "current" content.

If they want to streamline the process to "just the literal Panda content for Pandaria Classic" then they might let everyone start at level 85 and work to 90 from there. That would let them shorten the timespan of each Classic Season, so players can focus ignore previous expansions and start right at the good stuff.

3+ Year Old Account
    They sould keep going and stop at Legion, the true pinnacle of modern WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should release the classic iteration of whichever expansion around its 15th birthday. That way I'll be dead by the time BFA comes back around.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Tough to say. Cata is generally regarded as the Xpac that started the decline of the game. I personally do not have fond memories of that xpac, and I doubt I'm alone.
    But on the other hand, MOP was probably the last great xpac, so maybe they will continue on just to get to that.

I really don't see them going with WOD classic etc, though. I'd love to see classic + after Wrath, but that would involve actual work and monetary commitment, which I don't see Blizzard doing.

Classic continuously absorbs the content droughts of retail. It's genius.

In my opinion, if Mists of Pandaria was directly after Wrath, there would be a chance to continue. But now in order to get to Pandaria we have to go through Cataclysm.
    I liked that expansion personally, besides the last part, with Deathwing raid and the LFR intro. Especially the heroic dungeons pre nerf. They were a delight, but for the majority Cataclysm was a bad xpac, and the undoing of the old world marks the end of the classic era if i am honest.

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    I really don't see them going with WOD classic etc, though. I'd love to see classic + after Wrath, but that would involve actual work and monetary commitment, which I don't see Blizzard doing.
    Legion is basically the first step into modern WoW. BfA and SL follow its format. What would be cost effective for Blizzard is to work their end-game content into ever-green content. The world quests and world bosses in Legion, BfA and SL can be recycled and become part of the current end-game of whichever new expansion they have. That takes effort, but it's effort that will pay for itself in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPilgrim View Post
    I'm just waiting on WoW Classic Classic
    Im sure I missed this some place but have seen it mentioned before.

WTF is classic classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    I really can't understand to this day what "you guys" find so attractive about legion. This addon is as bad as bfa and shadowlands.

Topic: Would be fine until MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    WoW expansions last about 2 years so it wouldn't catch up on that schedule.
    When things go correctly, yes. But when we have long lead times to a .1 patch and delays for expansion releases, it doesn't quite work out.

I also like what someone pointed out above, that they could play it similar to Diablo seasons. I know that's not truly "Classic" anymore, but it could be an interesting way to let players experience that older content all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    I really can't understand to this day what "you guys" find so attractive about legion. This addon is as bad as bfa and shadowlands.

Topic: Would be fine until MoP.
    I think the artifacts and the Burning Legion itself made Legion stick out to most of us. It's one of my favorites, personally, although I didn't expect it to be the end of the Legion itself.

But who knows, maybe it isn't, I just can't think of a satisfying way to bring them back now.
    Last edited by Lakrin; 2021-07-09 at 02:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there is potential for money to be made then they will carry on, this is really the deciding factor in it all.

There will probably be some interest in post-WotLK expansions but it won't be nearly as much. Cataclysm was the start of modern WoW and changed the entire game, the same game we are still playing today

Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    Legion had a great continent but there are so many terrible things about that expansion such as the legendary gear system, Argus, and so many mind numbing grinds that were just not worth it.

They will keep going it as long as it makes them more money than stopping.

pretty sure if they continue after wotlk it wont be for single expansion but servers for all remaining previously expansions. even for the literal dozens that liked wod, bfa and, by that point, shadowlands