Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Tbh it's not even necesarilly a bad thing if done well. It just isn't. See Legion that had a lot of weird humps, yet Suramar and Runas existed.
    It is in a vacuum. Suramar was great because it was overall self contained and it kicked off the meat of all the campaign that eventually brought us to Argus. From there it was an Illidan spotfest carried by the fact that Illidan need no buildup whatsoever and the Legion had 20ish years of being *the* enemy.
    Shadowlands and the Jailer are not that different in principle: a spotfest narrative with no substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    They could always say that missing a part of your soul makes it imperfectly attached to your body...

- - - Updated - - -

People were saying the same thing about Illidan Kerrigan in Legion and it never happened. We'll see.
    The Kerrigan thing seems apt so far, at least the way I'm looking at it.

SC 2 retconned that the 'queen of blades' was basically a different corrupted personality and absolved the 'real' Kerrigan of those misdeeds.

That seems to be the goal of this whole split soul narrative, to say that sylvanas wasn't 'really' fully responsible for her own actions here.

With Illidan it was more of a 'actually he was right all along and is the biggest smartest boy in the class and when it comes to fighting the legion' in a big overcorrection for how TBC handled his character. Where as Kerrigan and Sylvanas have a common thread here of trying to distance them from past evil actions by muddying the waters on what they were actually responsible and culpable for.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    It is in a vacuum. Suramar was great because it was overall self contained and it kicked off the meat of all the campaign that eventually brought us to Argus. From there it was an Illidan spotfest carried by the fact that Illidan need no buildup whatsoever and the Legion had 20ish years of being *the* enemy.
    Shadowlands and the Jailer are not that different in principle: a spotfest narrative with no substance.
    I'm aware they're different. I'm just focusing on how both expansions have overall easy-to-consume junk--but SL, unlike BfA or Legion, doesn't have a Jaina arc or Suramar to keep us distracted.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

15+ Year Old Account
    Also read the PCgamer article and its pretty much spot on.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yeah that one is a bit weird actually. Rewatching it again too, Zovaal basically admitted he couldn't take it. The Primus says if he's struck down, his sigil will be lost forever.

And then Zovaal responses with "There is another way" and then it pans to Anduin. I guess that could just be more to show that Zovaal isn't exactly stronger than the Primus, and needed the extra tool to steal the sigil though, but it's definitely Anduin who harvests it and then passes it to Zovaal.

But Zovaal directly takes the Arbiters, so he should be able to take them himself. I guess it is just a difference of power, Arbiter couldn't fight back, The Primus could (and looked to be matching Zovaal until Anduin stepped in).
    The Primus mentions Anduin's Mourneblade right before said blade wrests the Sigil from him. So it seem that bit is justified at least because only Anduin has one that we've seen, it does beg the question as to why the Jailer himself doesn't but perhaps even his mind would fall prey to corruption or other derangements if he wielded one?

All of the very numerous problems with the current story, this is a very minor one. And yeah, that PC Gamer article above is spot on for the vast majority of them.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The Primus mentions Anduin's Mourneblade right before said blade wrests the Sigil from him. So it seem that bit is justified at least because only Anduin has one that we've seen, it does beg the question as to why the Jailer himself doesn't but perhaps even his mind would fall prey to corruption or other derangements if he wielded one?

All of the very numerous problems with the current story, this is a very minor one. And yeah, that PC Gamer article above is spot on for the vast majority of them.
    This part and others are simply yet to be revealed. It is clear that Anduin was a very special piece to the puzzle and not just every random bloke can pull out Mourneblade. The thing has requirements and at the very start Jailer seen something in him that was the missing piece he needed for that part. It's really like Arthas, he too was specifically targeted for a reason.

What is this piece we will likely know next patch when we go directly against them both.

The Jailer would have potentially looked cool like that... but... he still just looks like a random mob you'd fight in a dungeon, not even boss tier for appearance. Litterally the only thing that stands out for him compared to everyone else in his forces is he is very tall. That is it. I understand having a uniform nature but... he still looks so freaking generic. Then there is the bigger elephant in the room which is no repercussions for Sylvanus because she has her good back so it's totally not her fault now! And she is mad at the idea of remotely serving someone, even though she has been serving someone for how many expansions now? I mean, we've already Kerrigan'd Illidan, Kael'thas, and even Vashj in a way with her new position. Not everyone has to be redeemed. Sometimes you have to accept that a character should die. She will either heroic sacrifice or simply be let off the hook. It sucks because a comeuppance for once would be nice. We weren't allowed to give it to Garrosh, so why are we still not allowed to give it too her? It's so sad because they can do decent stories, they just... don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thefinalwarden View Post
    The Jailer would have potentially looked cool like that... but... he still just looks like a random mob you'd fight in a dungeon, not even boss tier for appearance. Litterally the only thing that stands out for him compared to everyone else in his forces is he is very tall. That is it. I understand having a uniform nature but... he still looks so freaking generic. Then there is the bigger elephant in the room which is no repercussions for Sylvanus because she has her good back so it's totally not her fault now! And she is mad at the idea of remotely serving someone, even though she has been serving someone for how many expansions now? I mean, we've already Kerrigan'd Illidan, Kael'thas, and even Vashj in a way with her new position. Not everyone has to be redeemed. Sometimes you have to accept that a character should die. She will either heroic sacrifice or simply be let off the hook. It sucks because a comeuppance for once would be nice. We weren't allowed to give it to Garrosh, so why are we still not allowed to give it too her? It's so sad because they can do decent stories, they just... don't.
    I think you're reaching a tad. Sylvanas will face very real repercussions and unless Blizzard fucks it up where suddenly in 9.2 we all happily hold hands with her, Sylv will be taking some real long time in a doghouse until she comes full circle by the time of Void Lords expansion where she will be apparently the big savior of us all as comic implied.

Redemption stories aren't really all that bad at all, like look at Illidan, it was done ok. And then even Jaina which really wasn't redemption but a journey of making peace with her demons, it was also well done, but in both cases it should be a journey and I hope they will make one for Sylvanas and hopefully have it take good 2 expansions before we get to the point where maybe she will be accepted back to society in some form or fashion,

But really, her eyes becoming blue won't have Horde/Alliance suddenly rush hugging her after all the shit she did to everyone. The crimes are that severe and writers really won't rush it if they know their shit.

The real reason for why the WoW narratives been run into the ground. Apologies in advance for the cringe you will experience for scrolling down.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    The real reason for why the WoW narratives been run into the ground. Apologies in advance for the cringe you will experience for scrolling down.
    If he was true fan, he:

Would keep her in the shadows as a Forsaken leader, instead of appointing her Warchief (which she, or Vol'jin, doesn't fit).

Wouldn't cause a Sylvanas fatigue by keeping her as the main character for 3 expansions straight.

Wouldn't make her regret her actions or show any compassion.

Maybe it's all like the the new sequels movies for Star Wars?

Where no one really know what's going on and they're just going with the flow instead of actually having a consistent plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The explanation for the DBZ fight with the Primus having to go as it does is so banal it's kind of funny. The whole gist is that the Jailer can split his abilities between himself and his Anduin sockpuppet. He can keep the Primus busy himself, but since killing him would fry the key, he needs Anduin to steal it while he's occcupying his opponent. And since the sigil is tied to his soul in some nondescript way Anduin needs a soul-carving weapon to pull it off. He's literally just an extra set of hands.

As for why the Blue Man doesn't use a blade himself, I figure they'll give him a suitably giant weapon for his boss fight because the punching animation looks absolutely dreadfu,l but he doesn't actually need one. It's not that the mourneblade has abilities the Jailer doesn't, it's that up until the end he can't actually exercise these powers. Even in the raid he can't actually escape the Maw until he gets his makeover, he needs to pull Oribos in to be able to access the Arbiter. Anduin gives him an extra body to act out as his proxy where he can't. Why does it need to be Anduin? Because he's the main character and Blizzard need to force in the Avengers somehow presumably not everyone has a strong and pure enough soul to serve as a vessel and the rest of the tards failed his trials while Anduin, being the purest, most wise and capable being in the entire setting by writer fiat can pull it off.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-07-10 at 09:12 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    If he was true fan, he:

Would keep her in the shadows as a Forsaken leader, instead of appointing her Warchief (which she, or Vol'jin, doesn't fit).

Wouldn't cause a Sylvanas fatigue by keeping her as the main character for 3 expansions straight.

Wouldn't make her regret her actions or show any compassion.
    Also wouldn't make a story, which required most of her backstory and tenure to be colossally retconned... twice within the span of 3 major patches one of which she wasn't even involved in. Like she didn't really need redeeming, in eyes of the Horde (Which is what matters tbh. Because having enmity with aliance characters is fine.), until she went hard out of character with Derek and the 8.2.5 plot twist, which necessitated basically retconning her backstory and 2 decades of lore, in order to even make her aligned with the big bald man, who obviously stands against the core values she does have.

Or at least make it so that her appearances don't add up to a disjointed asinine mess that could help too.

A man can't choose the waifu, the waifu chooses him.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

This cinematic is so memeable lol, this is like the 30th meme I've seen in 3 days:

How sad that the "ZOMG EPIC CULMINATION OF SYLVANAS' STORY!!!" essentially became a meme, hopefully Blizzard learns a thing or two from this flop. Stop wasting everyone's time with a character that only a niche portion of the playerbase (Forsaken fanboys) care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    A man can't choose the waifu, the waifu chooses him.
    He and Reign of Chaos living Sylvanas share a bond we couldn't possibly understand.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    How sad that the "ZOMG EPIC CULMINATION OF SYLVANAS' STORY!!!" essentially became a meme, hopefully Blizzard learns a thing or two from this flop. Stop wasting everyone's time with a character that only a niche portion of the playerbase (Forsaken fanboys) care about.
    I wouldntconflate Forsaken fanboy to Sylvanas fanboy honestly. I would have to imagine that someone who is really invested in hte Forsaken storyline could agree that Sylvanas ever since Cata has only ever been a narrative crutch where none is truly needed.
    The story of the Forsaken should be about ideological infighting on their future. Whether to live as undead humans given a second chance or to live as truly Forsaken. Their story has always been best when it is about their inherent duality, living as both constant reminders of the horrors of the Lich King who are best forgotten, while also being their own thing, who isnt necessarily just reanimated humans.

Before the Storm is a book that really captured what I wanted to see from the Forsaken storyline honestly. Should they attempt to rejoin humans and their families and friends, or should they leave them behind forever and carve their own path completely separate from those that knew them in life.

But the Sylvanas is always there to make it about herself. All the important parts of the Forsaken story could be done just as well, if not better if Sylvanas was gone. Her entire purpose is to be a recognizable name and face for the Forsaken and to drag their storylines into herself.
    Attacking Gilneas? All about Sylvanas and her relationship with Garrosh.
    Finding immortality and a future for the Forsaken in Stormheim? All about Sylvanas.
    Reuniting with living human relatives and the internal discord this causes in Forsaken society? All about Sylvanas.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I wouldntconflate Forsaken fanboy to Sylvanas fanboy honestly. I would have to imagine that someone who is really invested in hte Forsaken storyline could agree that Sylvanas ever since Cata has only ever been a narrative crutch where none is truly needed.
    The story of the Forsaken should be about ideological infighting on their future. Whether to live as undead humans given a second chance or to live as truly Forsaken. Their story has always been best when it is about their inherent duality, living as both constant reminders of the horrors of the Lich King who are best forgotten, while also being their own thing, who isnt necessarily just reanimated humans.

Before the Storm is a book that really captured what I wanted to see from the Forsaken storyline honestly. Should they attempt to rejoin humans and their families and friends, or should they leave them behind forever and carve their own path completely separate from those that knew them in life.

But the Sylvanas is always there to make it about herself. All the important parts of the Forsaken story could be done just as well, if not better if Sylvanas was gone. Her entire purpose is to be a recognizable name and face for the Forsaken and to drag their storylines into herself.
    Attacking Gilneas? All about Sylvanas and her relationship with Garrosh.
    Finding immortality and a future for the Forsaken in Stormheim? All about Sylvanas.
    Reuniting with living human relatives and the internal discord this causes in Forsaken society? All about Sylvanas.
    Sylvanas was the leader and main character of the Forsaken, any Sylvanas development is automatically Forsaken development, just like how back in MoP and WoD every Garrosh development was Orc development.

Too bad that not everyone plays a Forsaken or an Orc! I can't imagine that a Draenei or Gnome player would be particularly thrilled by the 3rd CGI Sylvanas cinematic in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Maybe it's all like the the new sequels movies for Star Wars?

Where no one really know what's going on and they're just going with the flow instead of actually having a consistent plan?
    What gave it away? Was it the fact that a character's motivations as revealed by their internal monologue can be introduced and then completely overwritten within a single expansion to prop up the next one?
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2021-07-10 at 11:55 AM.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently the SoD ending cinematic is only 4k likes and 12 dislikes. That is fucking hilarious.

I'm sure Blizzard will look all of these likes/dislikes and tell themselves, "it's all apart of the master plan..."