View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    In May the UK trade figures (in and out) were about £100bn. So call that £1.2 trillion for the year. In 2019 (the last year you can probably treat as "realistic") global trade exports ALONE were worth $19 trillion.

Your suggestion that the UK is responsible for 25% of global trade is laughable. So I'll happily ignore anything else you post on that basis.

From the figures above, the UK looks to be about 3.15% of exports, based on May exports being £50bn. That's as close as I can estimate for our slice of the pi (see what I did there?)
    What he is doing is saying that the countries in the TPP are responsible for 15% of worldwide trade (possible I suppose) and if the UK joins them the UK magically becomes responsible for all the trade those countries do with the entire world and therefor the UK adds up to 20% of worldwide trade.

Which is obviously complete dogshit.
    Its the sort of galaxy brain IQ shit that made Brexit seem like a good choice.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

--
    So you're just ignoring that one of your "facts" over estimated the portion of global trade that the UK represents by a factor of 10?
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-11 at 02:13 PM.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    --
    Your extrapolation of the numbers to claim that the UK is "directly responsible" for a quarter of global trade isn't an official UK figure, however.

Is being a compulsive liar a requirement for being a Eurosceptic or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    --
    So you are not in fact "just quoting the official numbers", because it's hard to do that with something you just said wasn't included in the official numbers.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Uh huh, and "officially" y'all are still trailing Germany.
    It's pointless anyway because those numbers are imports and exports combined. Their trade with Germany and the Netherlands is higher than all of those combined, so how he came to the conclusion that those account for 15% of world trade while trading with the EU accounts for just 5-10% is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    --
    Which don't include TPP, as you literally just said.

So what is the truth?

I thought you weren't offering opinions.

15+ Year Old Account
    --
    What's the number for the EU, they are for some reason excluded from your list of official trade agreements as of June.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What's the number for the EU, they are for some reason excluded from your list of official trade agreements as of June.
    Hey if they get to include imaginary future factors, why aren't we including the factor of many of these trade agreements not lasting longer than it takes people to realise a deal with the UK is worth less than the paper it's written on as evidenced by their inability to abide by a set of strictures they helped design.

10+ Year Old Account
    --
    Which isn't "truth" until it actualizes.

Ignoring the fact you're massively inflating TPP's value while ignoring the other fact these deals are equal to or lesser than those that would be procurable under the EU, to boot.

Projections pulled out of Priti Patel's dusty old snatch are imaginary by definition, dude. Y'all are overselling TPP to try and score a win.

It's kind of sad, really.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-11 at 02:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UKTradeFacts View Post
    The TPP wasn't stated as an actual though.
    Thus making it imaginary.

And once again: y'all really planning on relocating England to the South Pacific huh?

15+ Year Old Account
    --
    Yes, because when the numbers are lower than trade with two countries, the overall part as a percentage of world trade suddenly grows.

Going by your, uhm formula, your list equals 15% of trade, Germany and the Netherlands match that making it already 30% of world trade, now considering France, Belgium, Spain, and Italy combined also match that list of yours we end at 45% of world trade.

Add the US in the mix and voila, the UK is responsible for 60% of world trade.

facts

- - - Updated - - -

Hey if they get to include imaginary future factors, why aren't we including the factor of many of these trade agreements not lasting longer than it takes people to realise a deal with the UK is worth less than the paper it's written on as evidenced by their inability to abide by a set of strictures they helped design.
    You see, it's not imaginary if we include numbers based on values as if the UK was part of a large trade agreement.

The facts part of his name is satire, it must be, no one could be stupid enough to argue that something is not imaginary while including imagined information.

10+ Year Old Account
    You see, it's not imaginary if we include numbers based on values as if the UK was part of a large trade agreement.

The facts part of his name is satire, it must be, no one could be stupid enough to argue that something is not imaginary while including imagined information.
    Just like the UK government statistics are valid if you treat it as if the UK was run by an actual government. Irony.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just like the UK government statistics are valid if you treat it as if the UK was run by an actual government. Irony.
    He's probably celebrating that the UK is responsible for more than 60% of world trade.

The EU trade agreements are list on https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/co...s-and-regions/ the uk ones for non-EU countries are https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade...n-eu-countries

Let's compare alphabetically:
    • Albania - EU has a trade agreement with Western Balkan which is mostly free trade, the uk has replicated it for Albania.
    • Algeria - EU has the Euro-Med partnership, missing from uk-list
    • Andean Community - EU has a Comprehensive trade agreement with Colombia and Peru that Ecuador later joined and that Bolivia may join. The uk has replicated it.
    • Angola - the EU has a trade agreement with SADE countries (asymmetric to protect them so not a free trade agreement), missing from uk-list
    • Antigua and Barbuda - the EU has an economic partnership (including free trade) with CARIFORUM. The uk seems to have replicated it, with some changes in e.g. dispute settlement process (so that the uk is responsible for the costs).
    • Argentina - part of EU Mercosur trade agreement, missing from uk-list
    • Armenia - the EU has a Comprehensive and Enhanced partnership - missing from uk-list
    • Australia - the EU is negotiating a free trade agreement, and not in uk list yet.

Note that 'replicated' is the word used by the uk government for the trade agreements. When you copy part of the school work from a friend you normally don't brag about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    --
    Repeating this idiocy doesn't make it any more true.

--
    Because that is what your doing.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

BTW regarding total trade:
    The three largest traders in goods are: China, the EU and the US all at around 4 000 billion € per year (adding export and import).
    The uk is 5th after Japan with less than 1 000 billion € (with a rather large trade deficit in goods - note that the EU-uk trade agreement focused on goods).

However, in addition to 4 000 billion € trade with the rest of the world the EU is comprised of several countries and export between EU-countries is valued at 2 800 billion €, which should be doubled to compare with the other numbers (as by definition some other EU country imports it).

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...na_and_the_USA

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If Chili trades with Singapore and the UK has a treaty with Chili that doesn't mean that all trade between Chili and Singapore should be attributed to the UK.

Because that is what your doing.
    And that, of course, goes both ways, so in the end, every country on the planet is responsible for 100% of world trade.

The 15% he's insisting about is part of UK trade, not world trade, but that just doesn't sound as impressive I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    --
    I also have the opinion of any individual country being involved with 20%-25% of all Global trade value is actually an impressive feat.[/QUOTE]

That would be an impressive feat, no such country exists of course, but it would be impressive.

15+ Year Old Account
    --
    I mean, the largest trade partner in the TPP is Japan and you already have an agreement with them, so how the rest is going to miraculously make up for 100 times the amount of Japan is beyond me but sure, if we randomly imagine the world it will happen for the UK.

The UK in terms of world trade will become larger than the EU, China, and the US combined just by holding TPP membership, that's totally reasonable to imagine.

I am curious now, what do you think the word fact means?
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-11 at 02:12 PM.