Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Update:

We’ve gotten an answer that claims it’s in the EULA that you’re paying to access to the game. I haven’t verified that, but I’ll assume for now it’s true.

We haven’t gotten an official answer as to “why” we’re paying monthly for access to the game yet.

If anyone has anything solid (not your opinion) such as, but not limited to, dev interview, official posts, even dev Twitter post, post it.

Thanks.
    Well....the EULA is about as official as it can get. Not sure why you do not think a 'contract' is official.

How else could blizzard afford to release a mediocre content patch every 6-8 months? /s

You'd think after over a decade of posing this question someone would be able to challenge it in light of how many of these threads get made and how many people seem to think subs are obviously evil and backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeychris View Post
    Over the years I've probably spend about £1000 on WoW and for that £1000 I've got >9800 hours played. So that's what 10p per hour of play time? That's a fucking bargain lol.

The sub fee exists so they have a constant flow of money to produce a constant flow of content (which 9.1 pandemic delay issues aside they do a reasonable job of).
    rofl

ten chars

Because WoW used to be worth $15 a month. It's going to need a fundamental shift from Blizzard to get me to think that again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I don't talk about how it was. I talk more about how it was supposed to be back then.
    What is the point in talking about a hypothetical from 20 years ago though? It just means you are trying to re-write history to fit your idea of what a game should be rather then just stating you want it to be X. A really weird way to discuss anything. Saying "It was like this in the past" is not flawed because how it actually was is what is important.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-07-11 at 12:42 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Because it needs to be cheap for people to play it, that's why.

If they didn't have the pet/mount/toy store - the monthly fee would have to be way more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Because WoW used to be worth $15 a month.
    Indeed, and now there is WAY more content in WoW - it is worth way more, but they use the store to supplement the income to keep the price as cheap as it is.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

$15 a month is probably a little expensive for this day and age of MMO's especially for WoW given how old it is. If Blizzard ever did a WoW 2 I wouldn't expect the subscription fee to be that high if there at all if they chose to go the F2P route. The problem is they would never lower the price now for the current WoW because it would essentially be a major loss in already accounted for profits, and secondly the public would immediately overreact and say Blizzard is getting desperate to keep subs.

The current state of WoW is atrociously bad in my opinion and nowhere near deserves $15 month.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Because it needs to be cheap for people to play it, that's why.

If they didn't have the pet/mount/toy store - the monthly fee would have to be way more.
    That's OBJECTIVELY not how the market works. It's purely based on supply and demand and that is economics 101.
    If people want to pay it: they WILL pay it: it doesn't matter AT ALL if it's not logical.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Indeed, and now there is WAY more content in WoW - it is worth way more, but they use the store to supplement the income to keep the price as cheap as it is.
    That is a very good point. I loved Wrath but there was basically no content back then except for dungeons and raids. I remember doing the Loremaster achievement on multiple alts because there was literally not much more to do outside of that. Available gameplay in Wrath was basically: 20 minutes of tournament dailies per day...and that's it. And that only lasted for like 2 months - other patches didn't have much outside content at all. Next expansions started slowly adding more stuff to do, but it wasn't really that rich in content until like Legion. Legion/BfA/SL are much more abundant in content than all the previous expansions combined.

It's always pretty funny to me hearing people claim how the game used to be so many times better back then...the only reason I wasn't bored with the game was because I was younger and could commit to a hardcore raiding schedule. Other than that it was just doing 3000 basic quests over and over on different characters

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    $15 a month is probably a little expensive for this day and age of MMO's especially for WoW given how old it is. If Blizzard ever did a WoW 2 I wouldn't expect the subscription fee to be that high if there at all if they chose to go the F2P route. The problem is they would never lower the price now for the current WoW because it would essentially be a major loss in already accounted for profits, and secondly the public would immediately overreact and say Blizzard is getting desperate to keep subs.

The current state of WoW is atrociously bad in my opinion and nowhere near deserves $15 month.
    People spend like 100$ weekly on some of the most popular mobile games worldwide, I have no idea what basis you have to say that 15$ is too much, for a game like WoW, which literally has infinite content for someone who has not played it for like 10 years+.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-07-11 at 05:41 AM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Game pass is a way better deal and content and makes me sad my wow sub is 22$cnd

7+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone have an official sales pitch or rationale from Blizzard? Or another credible source?

It seems like everyone has their own assumptions and rationale, but no official or clear answer.
    The 15$ is to pay for servers, free patch content, game matinence, and support.

- - - Updated - - -

So, no one can give an official reason?

They just require it and people want to play bad enough, so they use their own assumptions and rationale for paying it, is what I’ve gathered.
    the officla reason is so they can provide us with free patch content, provide us with servers, provide support and matinence.

other online games that are not free mostly use "peer to peer" were players connections all go one to another, but this has a lot of issues including you cant really do it for an MMO, and also if someone lags, everyone lags.

other games also rarely ever release free content after launch, atleast that was true till we go the all too common "early access" where the game is not complete, you buy it, then as time goes on they finish the game, look to stuff like minecraft, terraria, valheim.

once a game releases what does the company care if you have a hard time completing a quest in the game? if you want help you go to the forums and find out its bugged and well oh well games released nothing you can do now.
    but the 15$ a month let them open support to help you with your bugged quest and fix bugs.

so people have given you many reasons, the main 4 being

1- paying for servers
    2- paying for patch content which otherwise is free
    3- paying for customer support
    4- paying for "matinance" devs who bugfix and balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Because WoW used to be worth $15 a month. It's going to need a fundamental shift from Blizzard to get me to think that again.
    yes it used to be worth 15$, it no longer is, based on inflation it is worth 20$.

like seriously, it is quite the feat that blizz has not actually raised the sub cost since 2004, at 15$ back then is worth 20$ now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

I don't understand why it exists.

I understand it provides more income for them and people pay it. They're also not the only game doing it. FF14 does for example.

It made sense to me in 2004, when it was assumed it was helping to pay for the servers, which were "special" to accommodate the massive populations and remarkable for the time. It was also assumed it would be to pay for steady content updates.

But, they need content updates or no one will play, which makes it kind of weird that we're funding them monthly in part to make content, they need to make anyway to keep people playing to buy store mounts, services, and keep interest in the game for future box sales.

Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?

Update:

We’ve gotten an answer that claims it’s in the EULA that you’re paying to access to the game. I haven’t verified that, but I’ll assume for now it’s true.

We haven’t gotten an official answer as to “why” we’re paying monthly for access to the game yet.
    Your official answer is economics.

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    If Blizzard ever did a WoW 2 I wouldn't expect the subscription fee to be that high if there at all if they chose to go the F2P route.
    If you have a little time on your hand check out Dungeons & Dragons Online. F2P with all kinds of other stuff to pay for. Shop always in your face. Pay for character skots etc. And while you're at it play a dungeon or two, DDO doesn't have tank/hel/dps trinity and tell me how that feels

I believe WoWs subscription model is way superior to F2P

7+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think its amazing that the price hasn't gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If you have a little time on your hand check out Dungeons & Dragons Online. F2P with all kinds of other stuff to pay for. Shop always in your face. Pay for character skots etc. And while you're at it play a dungeon or two, DDO doesn't have tank/hel/dps trinity and tell me how that feels

I believe WoWs subscription model is way superior to F2P
    not to mention it keeps A LOT of whiners out of the game, thank god

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Personally, I think its amazing that the price hasn't gone up.
    very much this, if you check price of pretty much ANY service 20years ago and now, you would struggle to find one that is the same price...
    even a goddamn library card is now more expensive than 20y back

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    That's OBJECTIVELY not how the market works. It's purely based on supply and demand and that is economics 101.
    Yes, I learned basic economics before you were likely born, but markets also allow for cross subsidisation. That is - you bring people in with cheap subs and sell them overpriced addons.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yes it used to be worth 15$, it no longer is, based on inflation it is worth 20$.

like seriously, it is quite the feat that blizz has not actually raised the sub cost since 2004, at 15$ back then is worth 20$ now.
    If the game was currently at Legion quality then it would be worth $20 to me, I currently pay $0, over the last 2 expansions I have only been sub'ed around 4-5 months as both have been dire and the least fun WoW has ever been, this is from somebody who has played since 2005 and never been unsubbed, apart from a couple of periods when I was working away for extended periods at the end of Wrath and early Cata mostly.

I wouldn't resub now for $10 a month, the game isn't worth my time never mind my money.

That's interesting I didn't know it said that in the EULA. Have they ever explained why they charge $15 a month to access the game? Is it in the EULA that you know of?

I'm genuinely just curious what their rationale is. It seems impossible to find a clear answer and the community seems to lash out or say their own rationale when its asked, without really answering.
    They are not required to explain that to you any more than you are required to play the game. Its not like anyone could give you an answer that would satisfy you anyway, which is probably why they last out at people who choose to create a thread just to troll people about a choice you make.

*hits bong* why can goods and services be exchanged for money, man? that just aint right *hits bong again*