Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    From this decade?

Ranking from creme de la creme lifechanging to still absolutely mandatory despite the lower ranking, these are my must plays:

• Bloodborne
    • Disco Elysium
    • Dark Souls
    • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Hollow Knight
    • Portal 2
    • Witcher 3
    • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
    • Subnautica
    • Doom: Eternal
    • Sekiro
    • Outer Wilds
    • Inside
    • God of War
    • Civilization V
    • Red Dead Redemption 2
    • Undertale
    • Celeste
    • Doom
    • Cuphead
    • AM2R
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Resident Evil 2

I still need to grab some games like Ghost of Tsushima, Crusader Kings 3, Persona 5 and Divinity Original Sin 2. Plus I probably forgot a couple.

I remain convinced that Bloodborne is the greatest game in recent memory.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-07-12 at 09:36 AM.

I recommend to you World of Warcraft: Shadowlands. It’s an MMORPG. It’s got a lot of fans that hyper focus the lore and make sure everything lines up and freak out when it doesn’t. It can ruin the experience for you if you let it.

But if you just play it and run with it, it’s fairly entertaining. The game was never designed to have a storyline. It was merely something to shine lights on certain parts of the universe that we had already known to exist.

Blizzard’s done their best to try and make it work, but a lot of people unfortunately are too invested into the universe that they’re blind to this fact. Nobody’s fault really, just a tragic truth.

Dark Souls and PoE are my 2 magic games. I can go do another playthrough of Dark Souls with a new set of rules over and over and will not want to stop playing every time.

PoE takes control of my life for 2-3 weeks every league.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    From this decade?

Ranking from creme de la creme lifechanging to still absolutely mandatory despite the lower ranking, these are my must plays:

• Bloodborne
    • Disco Elysium
    • Dark Souls
    • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Hollow Knight
    • Portal 2
    • Witcher 3
    • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
    • Subnautica
    • Doom: Eternal
    • Sekiro
    • Outer Wilds
    • Inside
    • God of War
    • Civilization V
    • Red Dead Redemption 2
    • Undertale
    • Celeste
    • Doom
    • Cuphead
    • AM2R
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Resident Evil 2

I still need to grab some games like Ghost of Tsushima, Crusader Kings 3, Persona 5 and Divinity Original Sin 2. Plus I probably forgot a couple.

I remain convinced that Bloodborne is the greatest game in recent memory.

Bloodborne is just another soulsesque game trying to cash in on the market, isn’t it? I’ve played a few of these types, bloodborne includes, rather briefly.

It always seemed to me that the fun derived from these games came purely from their difficulty, and less of the traditional RPG fun you’d get from something like Skyrim, or the Witcher.

Not knockin ya for liking it, just wondering if it’s really something that everyone should play

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Bloodborne is just another soulsesque game trying to cash in on the market, isn’t it? I’ve played a few of these types, bloodborne includes, rather briefly.

It always seemed to me that the fun derived from these games came purely from their difficulty, and less of the traditional RPG fun you’d get from something like Skyrim, or the Witcher.

Not knockin ya for liking it, just wondering if it’s really something that everyone should play
    Bloodborne is made by From Software, which are the developers of Dark Souls, Sekiro and Demon's Souls. I recommend giving it a go and seeing what the fuss is all about for yourself. And I stand by my statement, everyone needs to play it, it really is that good.

It can be punishing if you're new to Fromsoft games, but once you get your bearings, every other game will feel like you're in kindergarten.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-07-12 at 10:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post

I don't know if you can say its just trying to cash in when its from the people who propelled the gameplay sytle. Its one you should play if you like those kind of games.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I think The Last of Us 2 is the most polished and most impressive technically game that currently exists.

It has better graphics than any PS5 game has. It has amazing Music, Voice Acting, 3D modeling, animations, map design, sound design, cinematics... If someone asked, "show me how far video games has gotten.", TLOU2 is it.

It also has a big focus on storyline. Obviously this part is controversial but I think it has fantastic narrative and plot.

I think the user rating of that game is a good example of why staying away from review sites and fan sites is the best way to enjoy video games.

Same goes for WoW too, probably, find a nice little guild and stay away from any website like MMOC/wowheadnews/twitter/reddit to maximize your enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would actually say Final Fantasy 11 has been the only game I've played in recent years that has given me some of the same feelings of wonder and "WTF is going on" moments that Classic WoW did back in 2004. It's definitely an old school MMO and has some annoying bits, but the sense of adventure and the simplicity of the combat combined with the depth of knowledge required to excel at the combat really reminds me of Classic WoW.

Outside of that, pretty much anything above like... 92 on Metacritic would probably scratch that itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    I want to play that but i don't own a playstation unfortunately and there is no future plan to come on PC.
    You are not missing much with that game IMO.

I don't know of any, sadly. The only thing that made me rise my brew a little was announcement of pala, but that's very vague preview. If they give it a really new take on MMO genre it might be "new next best thing", but we will see about that.

Valheim, the most addictive game i've encountered in a long time.

Valheim was recommended to me as an option of something to do till New World arrives. With wow the shit show i only show up raid nights now unless we lose more players to ffxiv. Meh ok 20 bucks, bought it hoping it would get me through the last few remaining days before new world drops.

Installed it and first impression was my dude what a horrible recommend, wasn't overly impressed but something tweaks your interest to where i'm now in a full blown addiction. Gawd the game is good, i can't stop playing.

I already Pre Ordered New World and still plan on diving in deep there as my mmorpg of choice as wow is in such a horrible place, but tbh i'll probably keep on playing Valheim, and dabble in New World a bit till my Valheim addiction subsides a little.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Satisfactory and Factorio, both 11/10. For VR BeatSaber 11/10. Cyberpunk2077 10/10. XIV 9/10 if you need MMO.

Satisfactory was probably one of the very few experiences when i completely forgot about time and just kept playing it. Extremely addicting.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Satisfactory and Factorio, both 11/10. For VR BeatSaber 11/10. Cyberpunk2077 10/10. XIV 9/10 if you need MMO.

Satisfactory was probably one of the very few experiences when i completely forgot about time and just kept playing it. Extremely addicting.
    Have you played Dyson Sphere Project? I would recommend it if you like Satisfactory and Factorio.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Outer Wilds.

I Simply cant recommend this game enough.

It's a tough sell because you have to go in blind to maximize your enjoyment. But honestly, there are very few games that I wanted to experience for the first time again.

Outer wilds is one of them.

Seriously, play this game. It is a work of art.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Have you played Dyson Sphere Project? I would recommend it if you like Satisfactory and Factorio.
    No but ill check it out once it goes on sale. Bookmarked
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Did you ever try Outer Wilds? It's not a large game but it offers some really interesting experiences unlike most games I've played. It's an award winning 20 hour ish experience focused heavily on exploration. Single player, and the less you know about it beforehand the better, so if you want to give it a go, try not to read up on it.
    And the it's first expansion Drops today!
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Prey from 2017 is fantastic. Sci-fi shooter with Half-Life vibes and rpg elements.

My tastes are very specific, but I'll offer some recommendations from recent gaming sessions that I think are pretty epic.

Top Game: Divinity Original Sin 2.

Runners up:

1. Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls remastered, Nioh 2, or Dark Souls 3.
    2. Hades tied with The Last of Us Remastered
    3. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury or Mario Odyssey
    4. Destiny 2(since they removed sunsetting, this is my mmo of choice atm, so take its placement with a grain of salt)
    5. Aria of Sorrow from the Castlevania advanced collection.
    6. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 - A weird, old school skill based sports game with deep controls, lots of content, beautifully remastered. A gem.
    7. It Takes Two tied with new God of War
    8. Ghosts of Tsushima
    9. Tales of Arise, Xenoblade 1 remaster, P5R, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, or P4G(lots of great jrpgs this gen, this isn't even all of them)
    10. Mass Effect Legendary edition
    11. RE2 remake

I never list BotW(and to a lesser extent, Mario Kart or even Skyrim) in lists like these because there is such an anti-BotW community out there, but it is still one of my favorite games of the last 10 years. The shrines and open world organic puzzles with multiple ways to solve were very engaging for me, and the world/music was just a beautiful wholesome and heartwarming experience imo. It started to get a little hollow about 100 hours in, imo, but the ride up to that point is one that, imo, few games have ever achieved.

Disco Elysium has great writing but the gameplay was a little slow for me, but I haven't given up. It does, however, remind me of the excellent writing in Divinity Original Sin 2, and I hope to go back and play it one day. I feel like Divinity Original Sin 2 is the total package game with excellent super deep writing, and gameplay. The difficulty curve, for me at least, playing all casters/ranged was very difficult but super super fun.

They aren't as recently released as most of these, but I would also recommend playing:

Top REAL Old game: Silent Hill 2

1. Portal + Portal 2
    2. Braid
    3. Symphony of the Night
    4. Witcher 3 - Probably new enough to go in the other list, but still an all time classic, so I put it with the ages. Specifically, the Blood and Wine expansion.
    5. Metal Gear Solid 3
    6. Resident Evil 4 tied with Dragon's Dogma
    7. KOTOR
    8. Final Fantasy Tactics
    9. Vagrant Story
    10. FFXII, FFVII, Parasite Eve
    11. Bioshock collection or Arkham collection

Also, I haven't played it yet, but suspect it belongs on this list:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-09-29 at 02:16 AM.

I strongly recommend Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous.

Actually, if you haven't tried Pathfinder Kingmaker, I also recommend that one first as all the bugs have already been fixed while it may take a couple of months to make WotR flawless. Kingmaker released in a pretty bad state and a lot of players gave up on it. However, Owlcat didn't give up, fixed everything and we now have a real piece of art. Of all the cRPGs you can imagine, old like BG2, NWN, KOTOR & co, or new like DOS1&2 or PoE 1&2, Kingmaker is simply the deepest and the richest. The amount of freedom you get in terms of story, choices, character customisation and gameplay is just overwhelming.

Wrath of the Righteous takes that to a whole new level and offers even more than its predecessor, with a much darker story, tons of morally difficult choices with real consequences, twists that make KOTOR's one look like a casual and regular day in an adventurer's life. It is, in my opinion, not only the best cRPG existing to this day, but also one of the best RPGs ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure there are. The old games have not gone anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?