Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It was kinda trash imo...BWs ass had more screen time then Taskmaster If it was series like Loki or Wanda i would stop watching after 2 episodes. I would never pay for it tho glad they release stuff on Disney+ now so the pirates have it easy. RIP cam-rips lol
    Last edited by Krasuss; 2021-07-10 at 11:35 AM.

Movie was a solid 7 and about as good as a movie you could ask for centered around a character like Black Widow.

David Harbour was hilarious as Red Guardian

Movie was enjoyable but I was let down by taskmaster and the reveal of who it was. Felt way too much like a cyborg villian rather then the classic comic version.

It felt nice to sit down and watch a new MCU movie after so long! God Spiderman came out a lifetime ago :P

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the advertising was like "Marvel films are BACK!" so it was ironic this one in particular was the least amount of MCU film there could be.

It was... decent. 10/10 as an action film for sure... but overall I'd give it 6-7 out of 10.

With regards to the accent, I get a british accent just being in england for a few days and the most time I've ever spent there was 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Movie was a solid 7 and about as good as a movie you could ask for centered around a character like Black Widow. David Harbour was hilarious as Red Guardian Movie was enjoyable but I was let down by taskmaster and the reveal of who it was. Felt way too much like a cyborg villian rather then the classic comic version.
    Pretty much my own review. Not sure what the dislike some have for a movie called "Black Widow" could be. The script was pretty solid.

Just watched it, was entertaining as always(MCU). David Harbour was fun, did provide the right amount of light hearted fun. Maybe a tad short on actual story when it comes to the villain and all, but the set up to that point was good imo. The 2 hours and 10 minutes went fast anyway, which is proof of me having a good time watching.

And the movie just made me appreciate Scarlett as Black Widow through the years really.

7/10.

Enjoyable return to the MCU films, and served as a good bridge between two of the more high profile movies. The first 2/3rds were MUCH better than the final act, but we’ve pretty much come to expect that from these sorts of films (start off with a lot of good character moments and tight action sequences before devolving into pure schlock).

Great return to mcu at the movies.

As for a female lead superhero movie. It was so much better than cap marvel. They didn't keep shoving it in your face "I'm such a powerful wahman" like CM did with those cringe flashbacks.

No, just straight up female kick ass minus the agenda pushing.

The first half of the movie was actually really great imo. I was totally into the Bourne Identity vibes and the actress who played her sister was awesome. Unfortunately, it didn't stay grounded for long and went super wacky Marvel - that's when it went downhill for me. I thought I was going to get something a little closer to the tone of Logan, which I would've preferred given the setup of the original plot. Also the villains were horrible. Side characters (mom and dad) were great. 7/10
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2021-07-11 at 06:43 AM.

Alexei" (David Harbour) was a character that felt off. Embittered about the past..ok, he's jailed for reasons...he wants the "family" to get back together...to try to get back to his glory days but hated that mission...wasn't too concerned about his "daughters" as they weren't really his daughters anyway and...?

7.5/10.

Like the first Wonder Woman movie, the first two acts were really solid, and then a sometimes questionable CGI bonanza happened in the third. Nothing mindblowingly breakthrough in this movie, but I had fun and can't wait to see the new characters again.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Black Widow’ soars to pandemic box office record.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/07...ce-record/amp/
    Associated Press
    July 11, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.

Even with an option to watch “Black Widow” at home, audiences went to the movie theater in pandemic record numbers this weekend to catch the first Marvel movie released in two years.

The Walt Disney Co. said Sunday the superhero pic generated an estimated $80 million in ticket sales in North America. Combined with $78 million from international theaters and at least $60 million in Disney+ Premier Access rentals, “Black Widow” grossed over $215 million in its first weekend. The studio said it’s the largest domestic opening weekend since “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” debuted in 2019, pre-pandemic.

It’s a massive win for coronavirus-era moviegoing. In North America, the previous pandemic recordholder was Universal’s “F9,” which debuted to $70 million a few weeks ago. But unlike “Black Widow,” which is playing on 4,100 screens, the ninth “Fast & Furious” movie was exclusively in theaters.

“This was a pretty monumental weekend for the industry,” said Paul Dergarabedian, Comscore’s senior media analyst. “’Black Widow’ played well on big screens and small screens. And it actually strengthens the case for movie theaters.”

Dergarabedian noted that the vast majority of profits, $158.8 million, came from theaters. Around $12 million of that came from IMAX screens too.

“Hollywood blockbusters continue to gain ground at the box office with each successive release, and that bodes very well for the many films lined up for exclusive worldwide theatrical release this fall and beyond,” said Rich Gelfond the CEO of IMAX.

“Black Widow,” starring Scarlett Johansson, has had a long journey to theaters. Originally slated to come out in May of 2020, the blockbuster was delayed because of the pandemic. Disney ultimately decided to release it “day and date,” meaning it came out on more than one platform at the same time. “Black Widow,” in theaters and for a $30 rental on its subscription streaming service Disney+. Although not unprecedented for pandemic movie releases, or even for Disney, which did the same for “Cruella,” it’s the first Marvel movie to attempt the hybrid strategy. And it’s by far the biggest earner to date.

It is unusual for studios to release grosses from streaming profits in real time. Many never do so, and some release figures weeks after the fact.

“’Black Widow’s’ strong performance this weekend affirms our flexible distribution strategy of making franchise films available in theaters for a true cinematic experience and, as COVID concerns continue globally, providing choice to consumers who prefer to watch at home on Disney+,” said Kareem Daniel, the chairman of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution, in a statement.

The film was liked by audiences, who gave it an A-minus CinemaScore, and critics. “Black Widow” currently boasts an 80% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Men made up some 58% of the opening weekend crowd.

“F9” came in second place with an estimated $10.8 million, bringing its domestic total to $140.8 million in its third weekend out in North America. Globally, it’s grossed $541.8 million. Universal also held the third and fourth place spots with the animated sequel “The Boss Baby: Family Business,” which added $8.7 million, and the horror “The Forever Purge,” with $6.7 million. “A Quiet Place Part II” rounded out the top five with $3 million.

Currently, 81% of North American theaters are open, and most are operating at full capacity. Overall the films this weekend grossed a total of $117 million. It’s the first time since the beginning of the pandemic that a moviegoing weekend has surpassed $100 million.

And while it’s promising for the industry as a whole, Marvel films have always been in a box office category of their own. Overall, they’ve grossed nearly $23 billion.

“Marvel films are a unique monster,” Dergarabedian said. “I don’t know that you’ll see this for every release.”

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Comscore. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    So, is the Taskmaster the MCU’s first trans character? Was his daughter resurrected by Frankensteining her head onto a male guard’s corpse? Because that body definitely wasn’t female.
    This reads a lot like you think armor has to have boobs on it for the character inside the armor to be female.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I also saw it today off some weird streaming website. Seemed just average, so I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Found myself fast forwarding through a lot of the 'family' talk and had less action than I was expecting.

Also getting kinda tired of the woman in the end credit scene who keeps on trying to act like a big deal. Actress just doesn't pull it off compared to someone like Jeff Goldblum, seeing as they are both going for about the same personality.
    Marvel movies, in general, are more about characters than plot, so skipping dialog scenes feels like you are making weird decisions.

Also, Valentina and the Grandmaster are in no way the same personality. Not sure how you're reaching that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    The first half of the movie was actually really great imo. I was totally into the Bourne Identity vibes and the actress who played her sister was awesome. Unfortunately, it didn't stay grounded for long and went super wacky Marvel - that's when it went downhill for me. I thought I was going to get something a little closer to the tone of Logan, which I would've preferred given the setup of the original plot. Also the villains were horrible. Side characters (mom and dad) were great. 7/10
    You're not the only one to say this, but I kind of don't get why folks watch a Marvel movie and complain about it being like a Marvel movie.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post

You're not the only one to say this, but I kind of don't get why folks watch a Marvel movie and complain about it being like a Marvel movie.
    Marvel movies range from Logan to Deadpool.

5+ Year Old Account
    I doubt fox-marvel count..as its not canon now anyways perhaps..

Hands down the best female-led Superhero movie so far. 8/10, it had all of the MCU formula, the butt-shots of ScarJo were a bit obvious but hey, I ain't complaining. She's made me question my sexuality plenty of times... :d

I was surprised how good the movie was! After reading here I was expecting trash... I mean its no Ragnarok but its certainly better than Captain Marvel. I really like Natasha's sister and look forward to seeing what they do with her.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus was fantastic as always.

The only gripe I have is with Taskmaster. I thought they did a good job with his/her powers and I enjoyed the fights but I like the character from the comics.

Okay, that's fair. I guess in my mind I think Marvel = MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Hands down the best female-led Superhero movie so far. 8/10, it had all of the MCU formula, the butt-shots of ScarJo were a bit obvious but hey, I ain't complaining. She's made me question my sexuality plenty of times... :d
    Other than the sexuality questioning part I agree with this.

A friend made an interesting observation: You get butt shots of ScarJo but nothing like that with Pugh, and even her close wasn't as skin tight as ScarJo's.

I've read a few reviews that pointed out how the MCU kind of did Black Widow dirty, and this disparity between ScarJo and Pugh in this film seems to suggest they never really figured out how best to course correct other than simply introduce a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I was surprised how good the movie was! After reading here I was expecting trash... I mean its no Ragnarok but its certainly better than Captain Marvel. I really like Natasha's sister and look forward to seeing what they do with her.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus was fantastic as always.

The only gripe I have is with Taskmaster. I thought they did a good job with his/her powers and I enjoyed the fights but I like the character from the comics.
    Yeah Pugh was an absolute homerun for me. I went in expecting to hate the character, but ended up absolutely loving Yelena. I hope we see a lot more of her in future MCU content.

Taskmaster... I like the comics version, but I have to admit I ended up really liking how the handled Taskmaster in this movie. I watched a Nando v Movies short about Taskmaster that was pretty interesting and you might appreciate it. Effectively, he points out that because of how they did Taskmaster, there's nothing stopping them from introducing another iteration of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post

A friend made an interesting observation: You get butt shots of ScarJo but nothing like that with Pugh, and even her close wasn't as skin tight as ScarJo's.

I've read a few reviews that pointed out how the MCU kind of did Black Widow dirty, and this disparity between ScarJo and Pugh in this film seems to suggest they never really figured out how best to course correct other than simply introduce a new character.
    I also noticed her clothes were baggier! I thought it was odd but assumed she was just wearing Natasha's outfit so it wouldn't be a perfect fit.

7/10 Black Widow.

A solid movie with some great action and humor. Well casted for the roles and it felt like it fit well into the timeline. It's not a top 5 MCU movie for me but maybe in the top 10. Maybe...

My grips of course was the underused Taskmaster combined with the useless need to turn the comic character female. The character did little for the movie so either sex makes little difference. Completely underused for the type of power level these characters have. The character should have been so much more. As a Taskmaster fan in the comics, it was a big disappointment to see that character go down the tubes. There is hope for a future showing given the end but I'm doubting it still.

Another issue I had was not showing what happened when General Ross showed up. Would have liked to have seen that conversation for the conclusion and how it might have tied into Infinity War given it's supposed to be right after Civil War. Minor grip but something just dropped.