Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why would I entertain a jingoistic lie like the idea that all modern conceptions of liberty derive from the American model? It's complete bullshit.

You've got the Magna Carta, the English Bill of Rights 1689, the work of John Locke as a political/ethical philosopher (an Englishman, I'll note), and so on. The American Bill of Rights and such was nothing more than the next iteration of a movement that had been building for centuries by that time. And most of the foundational principles behind it significantly precede the American system.
    Yes, the constitution and the Bill of Rights of the US is a bunch of crap and had no influence on anything anywhere. It's just a cheap rip off of all those other constitutions that existed in 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    What might really bake you're noodle is considering that John Stewart and the Daily Show also primed people for this mind set.
    Sure we're, "just the lead-in potty-mouth puppets and cartoons". But they held the Rally to Restore Sanity, which in hindsight was coded "both sides are bad, nothing matters lol".
    Remember, the Rally was a week before the crucial 2010 midterms on the National Mall...

If only I coulda talked to my 2010 self. I woulda warned myself about this and Cata.

I remember the daily show and all, they didn’t dismiss the problems and insult you for caring, they called out lies and hypocrisy.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No, they don't, and said founding principles didn't originate in America anyway as evidenced by a bunch of periwig wearing queens and the fact the Founders were the equivalent of weebs but for Ancient Rome.
    And the fact that the founders took a lot of inspiration from the Parliament side of the English civil war.
    - Lars

It's good to see Prager admit that the U.S. is a racist country. It won't be too long now before they embrace critical race theory. Maybe we can get the Fox News and QAnon nutter crowd to turn against them.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    I realize what Prager U was going for here as one of the few Conservative Conspiracy Collegiate Corporations (I refuse to call them a university), but they unintentionally just implied that the very values America was founded on are racist - which is so true it's funny.
    Let me put it this way: I saw this quote last night without attribution (or I just missed the attribution, because it was late), and immediately assumed it was someone trying to say that America isn't just a country with racist systems, but a country founded on racist values at its core.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-07-12 at 05:34 PM.

Why would I entertain a jingoistic lie like the idea that all modern conceptions of liberty derive from the American model? It's complete bullshit.

You've got the Magna Carta, the English Bill of Rights 1689, the work of John Locke as a political/ethical philosopher (an Englishman, I'll note), and so on. The American Bill of Rights and such was nothing more than the next iteration of a movement that had been building for centuries by that time. And most of the foundational principles behind it significantly precede the American system.
    Even the Federalist system appears to have been copied from the Haudenosaunee.

Ah the magna carta a blueprint for a constitutional monarchy created by warmongers. The english bill was created by a dutch king that suppressed the catholics and especially the Irish and Jon Locke owned stock in slave trading companies. By your own standards this is a nightmare and makes every single person in America flawed.
    Perhaps you should look at what our predecessors did right instead of wrong.

Perhaps the American wokist should stop dragging western history and by extension western humanism through the mud. We are quickly becoming the laughingstock of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Even the Federalist system appears to have been copied from the Haudenosaunee.
    is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    is that a bad thing?
    Of course not, but if we're going to talk about where ideologies stem from, let's be real about the source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah the magna carta a blueprint for a constitutional monarchy created by warmongers. The english bill was created by a dutch king that suppressed the catholics and especially the Irish and Jon Locke owned stock in slave trading companies. By your own standards this is a nightmare and makes every single person in America flawed.
    Congratulations, you seem to have finally grasped the concept of systemic racism.

We'll get to that after we've finished fixing the lasting impacts of what they did wrong.

Perhaps the American wokist should stop dragging western history and by extension western humanism through the mud. We are quickly becoming the laughingstock of the world.
    Perhaps western civilization should live up to what it promises so there wouldn't be so much legitimate basis to drag it through the mud.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-12 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Each new iteration reviewed the flaws and tried to improve on the previous versions. The founding fathers realized this and added a way for the system to evolve over time for when the country ran into new challenges.

Treating the constitution as a sacred document that should never be changed is completely against the entire spirit of its formation. The entire point is that it should be able to adapt and change. There's nothing wrong with analyzing the mistakes and failings of previous iterations. Nothing is perfect.

I find it insanely odd this is the direction they decided to embrace. I think just about any society can look into its past and find horrors and injustices. The USA is absolutely no different. Those that say they are probably are a bit wacked. But to excuse them away and embrace them just seems looney. Like why would you excuse slavery away into anything other than the shitty thing it was.

Uh...yeah...all these things were/are flawed. As is the US Constitution, written largely by proud slave owners who decided that slaves were a good bargaining chip and that women should stay in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

It's good to acknowledge and understand the flaws and awful bits of our history so we can appreciate it and strive to continually improve.

We do, but righting the things they did wrong is probably a bit more important than having a parade for the things they did right, no?

Sorry if acknowledging how bloody and awful our history is makes you feel bad? Who's laughing, by the way? China? Russia? North Korea? Namibia? Argentina? Does it matter if they're laughing, especially in the context of the most powerful/wealthy western democracies in the world?

Because yeah, western humanism isn't being "dragged through the mud" now, we're just taking the lipstick off the extremely muddy pig and aren't pretending that it's anything other than a pig covered in mud anymore. It's not Wilbur, despite generations of trying to convince people that it's a very special pig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it funny or sad that PragerU has a take on John Locke?
    Havent watched it, but i'd wager it's launched a thousand bad takes on Locke.

Time is really a flat circle. I need a volcano to jump into.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I find it insanely odd this is the direction they decided to embrace. I think just about any society can look into its past and find horrors and injustices. The USA is absolutely no different. Those that say they are probably are a bit wacked. But to excuse them away and embrace them just seems looney. Like why would you excuse slavery away into anything other than the shitty thing it was.
    We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow.
    Poor Al Franken, who I will never stop being bitter about him being fuckin shanked and forced to resign, had the fuckin right of it over a decade ago.

And the guy can freehand all 50 states, borders and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Of course not, but if we're going to talk about where ideologies stem from, let's be real about the source.
    A type of govermant is not an ideology . And i also see plenty of Roman and greek influences in the american republic.

10+ Year Old Account
    A type of govermant is not an ideology .
    It does, however, speak to ideology since the nature of that government invariably reflects the values of the society that sets it up.

And i also see plenty of Roman and greek influences in the american republic.
    No, what you see is what 18th century Englishmen believed Hellenistic culture looked like, and even that is mostly neoclassical window dressing (i.e. aesthetic); the nuts and bolts of American government is firmly northern european in origin.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

A type of govermant is not an ideology . And i also see plenty of Roman and greek influences in the american republic.
    You think the concept of states' rights isn't ideological? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...yeah...all these things were/are flawed. As is the US Constitution, written largely by proud slave owners who decided that slaves were a good bargaining chip and that women should stay in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

It's good to acknowledge and understand the flaws and awful bits of our history so we can appreciate it and strive to continually improve.

We do, but righting the things they did wrong is probably a bit more important than having a parade for the things they did right, no?
    Thats why i consider the american left to be so lazy. You make no effort to understand why or how your predecessors improved things. You want to improve things? you will utterly fail. Because you are so obsessed with things that went wrong

Sorry if acknowledging how bloody and awful our history is makes you feel bad? Who's laughing, by the way? China? Russia? North Korea? Namibia? Argentina? Does it matter if they're laughing, especially in the context of the most powerful/wealthy western democracies in the world?
    Perhaps it does matter for the LGBT community living in these countries? Do you think other people will emulate us now with people like you saying our morals are a dirty pig? You said you want to improve things? look outside the america´s to do so!

Because yeah, western humanism isn't being "dragged through the mud" now, we're just taking the lipstick off the extremely muddy pig and aren't pretending that it's anything other than a pig covered in mud anymore. It's not Wilbur, despite generations of trying to convince people that it's a very special pig.
    So you are basically saying you are morally inferior to the rest of the world . Do not look suprised if the rest of the world will not take you seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps it does matter for the LGBT community living in these countries? Do you think other people will emulate us now with people like you saying our morals are a dirty pig?
    That feel when it was largely western colonialism that led to many if not most of these countries discriminating against queer people.

Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Each new iteration reviewed the flaws and tried to improve on the previous versions. The founding fathers realized this and added a way for the system to evolve over time for when the country ran into new challenges.

Treating the constitution as a sacred document that should never be changed is completely against the entire spirit of its formation. The entire point is that it should be able to adapt and change. There's nothing wrong with analyzing the mistakes and failings of previous iterations. Nothing is perfect.
    You are correct but the other side of the coin is that people are looking at the document and say that it has no value and did not contribute to our modern society. The ability to evolve and change is completely ignored . The left does not see the progress that has been made over the last 200 hundered years and fails to understand how this progress has been achieved a rather worrying trend.