Last played in January, how fucked am I if I return?

Last played in January, shortly after Nathria opened, decided there are better games to play than WoW during that period of time. I've ditched some grind games and found myself having some spare time for a 2nd main game.

How fucked am I if I return, PvE wise? How much nonsense do I have to go through to be competetive and not forever behind? Has the grind/catchup situation changed in any way compared to previous expansions, where if you returned, you were fucked for like solid months until you were optimal?

Appreciate your replies.

Honestly? you will be in a good spot, renown catch-up is quite good (i was getting 3 per WB and 2 per campaign) and new zone (korthia) can help you with 220 gear really easy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Not much. You'll just have to run a lot of torghast and dungeons. Torghast will get you the legendaries, dungeons get you gear, renown, and conduits.
    No more timegated bullshit? Just spamming M+ and Torghast? That simple? Catching up by actually playing the enjoyable content?

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now is literally THE time to get back, everyone has a gear reset and mostly 9.0 stuff is not very relevant anymore. Sure there are covs and such, but there is catchup and you literally get shitton of Anima thrown at you for covenant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    No more timegated bullshit? Just spamming M+ and Torghast? That simple? Catching up by actually playing the enjoyable content?
    Well as usual you have one kind of bullshit replaced by another, but it sort of depends on what you want to do with your game.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-07-09 at 10:21 PM.

right now is optimal tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has never been a game where taking a break means you can't catch up. There are ways. Korthia armaments, world quests, faction hall missions, LFR, dungeons, the list goes on.

It isn't awful though you need to get into raiding now if you want to hit mythic this tier in a reasonable time. Gem upgrades scale an absurd amount and not killing the trash mobs for the currency even on normal is going to sting badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    WoW has never been a game where taking a break means you can't catch up. There are ways. Korthia armaments, world quests, faction hall missions, LFR, dungeons, the list goes on.
    ::laughs in Pre-7.3 Legion::

Because SL is horribly timegated, you'll sit in the fastlane as all the gates are now open. Just do the Covenant campaign, the best part of the game, and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Just do the Covenant campaign, the best part of the game, and you're set.
    *chokes back vomit*

You ll probably have a smoother experience than the one you would have had back then.

Up until current content though, then it's probably smoother once it's all released and the catchup mechanics are in place as well.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Catching up in WOW is fine, far faster then Destiny 2 for damn sure.

How can you possibly prefer time gates?
    I don't. I said SL is horribly timegated. It's just that anyone catching up will be flooded with renown and blast through the entire campaign, which is the biggest timegate of the expansion.

That said, I do accept timegating as a realistic part of an MMO. It's just that a player needs to have more control over their direction, they should be able to target specific goals over other goals. That's currently not happening. Blizzard throttles all the goals equally and moves them up simultaneously. That's boring.

7+ Year Old Account
    Take you about a week to be ready for Mythic raiding and or high end (>15) mythic+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Shadowlands currently live up to the success of BFA?

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Take you about a week to be ready for Mythic raiding and or high end (>15) mythic+.
    With a guild, right?

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Teach me master !

10+ Year Old Account
    Last tier there was the Venari rep that you needed to grind if you want to be truly optimal (it gave you like 5 gem slots or something) and I'm sure there's something similar in Korthia, but overall Shadowlands is much better on that front.
    There are indeed sockets from Korthia as well, but sockets are such a small benefit that it largely doesn't matter if you farm them or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    Teach me master !
    Very simple.
    1) Make a new character
    2) have your guild carry you to level 60
    3) have your guild run m+ armor stacks with you day in, day out, trading everything they can to you
    4) Congratz, you're now ilvl 230 in under a week

One of my friends' guildies did that, got from ilvl 190 to 230 in a day by just running m+ all day with his guild, getting traded everything he could ever want

It depends on who you are: I personally just quit the game entirely again after trying it for 3 days after I had quit near the launch of SL. I just can't play it casually (which was the plan) because I constantly want to be optimal at the hardest content but in order to do that I have to go through a SPAM of subsystems that are extremely easy to do and their main purpose is to waste your time so that you pay monthly fees.

I decided that such a person should either go to pure multiplayer/competitive games since they don't waste your time or/and if you do want some grinding go do some single-player games once in a while since almost everything is a grind there or/and go find a job/hobby/whatever in your rest of your life that is also competitive/hard-core and be done with this spam of time-gating and grinding that convolutes it.

It depends.

Dis you get to know the mythic+ dungeons by heart with the accompaning achievements? If so, you're cool.

If not, you're gonna have a bad time unless you got an organized group.
    The 3 dh spec is increíble.