Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Did you enjoy Shadowlands? What sort of storyline you prefer next expansion?

Well hello. I simply didn't like this expansion. We have killed titans, now they want us to chase down an afterlife wrestler type villain. Storyline is not fitting WoW universe from my point of view. Covenant mandatory, unnecessary grind is not my type. I was watching Warcraft movie and orcs vs humans were very satisfying story , high elves maybe story of Arathor, 7 human kingdoms stuff. I watch warcraft 3 Medivh's warning to King Terenas, I still enjoy it.Ambassadors speaking, king listens ,Medivh appears, epic. So what do you think ?

5+ Year Old Account
    We did not kill titans. Sargeras did. It’s too early to say wether the story is good because whole plot has not revealed itself yet but I have feeling it’s going to be amazing.

The storyline is childish since WotLK; the last time I saw an interesting story in WoW was the tragic love story of Illidan; or at least that's how it looks if you look at the major themes spammed to you.
    The game itself is an unecessary grind since MoP; they spam you with microtransactions and daily chores necessary to be optimal; they seem to feed on addiction of players.
    It was better before MoP; you could immediately drop into hard core instances and stay only there; but I guess they prefer addiction money to a higher total of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the Sylvanas/Jailer portion of the story, I've overall liked the story of this expansion. The game itself is absolutely missing the polish Blizzard has shown in the past (Why do I have to confirm a 25 anima purchase, but not a 10K anima purchase?), but it at least has some good ideas in place. I suspect what we have right now is a combination of how the loss of QA team members alongside the WFH issues of COVID have affected the WoW team.

For a 10.0 storyline, I'm very much a believer that we need a rebuilding expansion. That is, an expansion where we finally take a moment to catch our breath and tie up some of the loose ends of Azeroth: Gilneas, the sword in Silithus, the aftermath of Tirisfal & the Undercity, etc. While it might not feel as epic in scope, there are ways you could slant it down without it feeling too weird. Even if it felt a bit odd, I feel like the long term tradeoff with such an expansion would be worth the temporary weirdness.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really want smaller stories dealing with human v orcs anymore. It's old and tired, and politics/war are incredibly dull to me. I want to explore things I can't possibly relate to or imagine in my wildest dreams. Take me on an adventure, like the original Star Wars trilogy, not the back & forth political exposition of the prequels, for example.

I absolutely despise Shadowlands as a setting and I have absolutely despised it ever since I first saw Covenants. As someone who plays Void elf, I don't feel any connection between my character and any of these covenants:

- Smurfs don't feel connected to Void elves.
    - Skeletons don't feel connected to Void elves.
    - Furries don't feel connected to Void elves.
    - Vampires don't feel connected to Void elves.
    - Janitor with 0 backstory doesn't feel connected to Void elves.

So personally as someone who plays Void elf and is very interested by the Void aspect of the Warcraft franchise, Nope! I don't like this setting at all!

I'm sure if I were a Forsaken or Night elf player since 2004, I'd very much enjoy this setting, but I'm not!

I can't wait for 10.0 to return to the Void storyline and the Stormwind storyline, which was left off with Turalyon and Alleria taking control of Stormwind.

Shadlowlands: Thanos rip-off; it was being designed exactly at the time the movie was popular; I wonder if they think it's not transparent.
    WotLK: Darth Vader's arc rip-off; way too obvious again; at least they ripped off an older popular culture so it might had higher quality.
    I wonder what they are going to rip off next time; what is popular now; some kind of tik tok in-game feature?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrag View Post
    Well hello. I simply didn't like this expansion. We have killed titans, now they want us to chase down an afterlife wrestler type villain. Storyline is not fitting WoW universe from my point of view. Covenant mandatory, unnecessary grind is not my type. I was watching Warcraft movie and orcs vs humans were very satisfying story , high elves maybe story of Arathor, 7 human kingdoms stuff. I watch warcraft 3 Medivh's warning to King Terenas, I still enjoy it.Ambassadors speaking, king listens ,Medivh appears, epic. So what do you think ?
    Semi enjoying Shadowlands.

Next up, I'd rather we get kicked down the stairs a few floors. Bring it down-to-Azeroth. Gnoll, Troggs, Cartels, Gangs, Quilboar, Centaur etc.. I'm getting tired of the majority of the story has us glorified for fighting the big bad.. I do not enjoy the characters being considered the main pieces of the story when I rather want us back to be the random adventurer, explorer, soldier..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

BfA was the perfect setting for me. Zandalar and Kul'Tiras were beautiful and interesting places. I'd like to see their design philosophy, not necessarily their gameplay, applied to an Azeroth Rehaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Next up, I'd rather we get kicked down the stairs a few floors. Bring it down-to-Azeroth. Gnoll, Troggs, Cartels, Gangs, Quilboar, Centaur etc.. I'm getting tired of the majority of the story has us glorified for fighting the big bad.. I do not enjoy the characters being considered the main pieces of the story when I rather want us back to be the random adventurer, explorer, soldier..
    Yes please. Classic released at the same time as The Dark Crystal show on Netflix and going both through them simultaneously really made me realise how much I missed this. And this time they don't have to be grind fodder either. Let us get to know these uncivilized creatures, show us what they have to offer.

As to why I'm referring to the Dark Crystal, this show gets into the intimate details of the different groups that inhabit this crazy fantasy world. The protagonists are outcasts, they're misunderstood and ostracized and the entire show is just watching these puppets suffering through this terrible ordeal others are putting them through, evoking a deep sense of empathy and immersion.

WoW can do this as well. Let the player's character be a misunderstood reject, it will make the player only care more about their toon.
    Last edited by Ivarr; 2021-07-13 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Uther story, i hate how he is presented as wrong, Kyrian are fanatics brainwashing cult and need to change dramatically
    I don't like Venthyr story, feel weird, they are just 'extra punish' before the maw, isn't having 1 punish layer in necrolord enough? (also having this fucking horrible zone helped a lot hating them)
    I don't like the idea of in-house fight in Necrolord, but i like it more than venthyr at least
    Night Fae.. i was expecting it to be more heaven, they have lot of problem to be the most peaceful nature beautiful place, still ok

So ironic the story i like most is Kyrian and that because of Uther showing how wrong they are, and it seems they will change and fix their wrongs
    And I flat out admit I'd enjoyed it a LOT more if patch was released 4 months ago, now i feel so low for so long, need a lot more of wow lore to like it again
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Personally I completely hate the main story of Shadowlands. I like the small little stories left and right though. But the problem is, when the main story is so badly written and so weak in general, it's hard to like everything besides that. At this point I really hope we're going back to the "based" Azeroth and dragons in 10.0. Something I never thought I'd say after being diagnosed with dragon fatigue after Cataclysm.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Nah, haven't seen anything in Shadowlands that really grabs me or gets me amped. Just about the only thing that'd interest me again, is if they do some kind of soft reboot or something that heavily focuses on the factions/races themselves and more localized threats to their domains.

I seriously doubt that they'll do any of that though.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I want more grounded story, obviously. BfA had great start, kinda sad they tried to do 2 expansions at once back then.

Whole BfA should be about Horde/Ally war, without Magni screaming/Azeroth dying, with Ally doing horrible stuff as well. Last raid could be massive battleground where Sylvanas betrays Horde, wipe both armies and start Shadowlands. N'zoth and void buddies could be saved for proper Void expansion.

I doubt 10.0 will be really grounded, story obviously lead to some climax with Azeroth and sword, but I have hopes for 11.0 on this field.

With the way i can play right now i do actually enjoy Shadowlands, could it be better of course, nothing is perfect, there is always things that can be improved.

storyline for next expansion is hard to say when you dont know where they plan to go in the future.

But i would like to see a expansion where we maybe get a break from one BIG bad guy, maybe we get information that a big threat is on its way and it will arrive in 11.0 but in 10.0 its mostly about preparing and deal with many smaller threats instead to build up a defence for when the Big threat arrives in 11.0.

Sadly I'm sure 10.0 is already planned out, some impossibly even more cosmic nonsense.

No doubt they will try to frost that cake with something familiar like a stormwind raid or something.

Idk, the whole train is so far off the rails at this point, and the dev team just seems incapable of seeing the trees in the forest, I have little hope

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Semi enjoying Shadowlands.

You already have that ability. It's called WoW Classic. Let us who love being the main pieces of the storty continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Yes please. Classic released at the same time as The Dark Crystal show on Netflix and going both through them simultaneously really made me realise how much I missed this. And this time they don't have to be grind fodder either. Let us get to know these uncivilized creatures, show us what they have to offer.
    Good news. WoW Classic is available to play. Stop asking for it in retail when it is already available for you to play.

"Did" I enjoy it? Uhhh...we're not even halfway through it. I AM enjoying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer if Anduin turns out to be the real son of light and dark and claims the power of sepulcher for himself and then becomes the new god of the cosmos. However, he takes a very laid back attitude and doesn't bother with mortals, after all, he becomes an almighty god, poking around mortals would be too unbecoming.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

I played for about a month. Then started prepping for tbc. Happily raiding on multiple characters and will most likely never go back to retail again. I foresee plenty of good years ahead for me and my buddies with the content coming.