Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Clarifying Garrosh's Stance

I'm not a Horde player so maybe this is why I'm confused. Garrosh hated warlocks, having the Horde muddied with other races and was ashamed of his father for drinking demon blood, yes? But then he eagerly and desperately consumes the power of an Old God that literally corrupts him. Am I missing something or was Garrosh just a huge hypocrite? Thanks

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Garrosh was an insecure man-baby.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

5+ Year Old Account
    He was a hypocrite yeah

Fel corrupts regardless of intent and anyone can use it. You can be the most powerful warlock out there but you'd still passively leech the land around you as you do it and render it unusable. It's like radiation. Even if you yourself use fel for a 'good' cause, you'd still poison the land around it, turn green etc. Plus there's the historical connotations of it being a symbol of the orcs waging other people's wars.

The heart of Y'shaarj and the void in general requires strength of character to control, but you can control it if you have the will for it. You can focus it while doing so. Garrosh was in control of the power he had in the raid. On twitter they compared it to him wearing it like a suit of armor and that checks out - after we beat him all that stuff melts off and he just carries on the same as he did before.

Both are bad, but one rewards strength of will, which is what the orcs in general and Garrosh in particular are big on and can be controlled. That's why he had an issue with warlocks and no issue with the void/dark shamanism which are based on the user imposing his will upon the power.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Garrosh was an insecure man-baby.
    Pretty much this and this final words were whining about thrall and others beause they didn't support his orc supremacy.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Huh, I completly forgot that Garrosh was technically the first mortal to succeed at defying the Void's whispers. Suck it, Alleria.

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Huh, I completly forgot that Garrosh was technically the first mortal to succeed at defying the Void's whispers. Suck it, Alleria.
    Ohhh, careful now! The Alleriasimps will be coming full-throttle at you now! Defending her with all kinds of headcanons

Garrosh was in control. Dave Kosak stated that.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    While he might have been in control, as in not mind-controlled, it is kinda telling that he was so prideful after being merged with the eldritch horror of pride that he was turned into an infinite source of sin-anima in the janitors home.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    While he might have been in control, as in not mind-controlled, it is kinda telling that he was so prideful after being merged with the eldritch horror of pride that he was turned into an infinite source of sin-anima in the janitors home.
    That might also just have been the strength of his soul by itself. We don't really know how anima works

If you listen closely, you can hear a war horn in the distance. It's all the people who think they're part of the Horde in real life riding their wolf body pillows about to swarm the post with what an amazing orc Garrosh was and he was right in everything he did. Bonus points if someone mentions True Horde having only pre-BC races in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    I think it is also kind of telling about Garrosh that his Pride was so great that he was still dominant over the Sha. He fought the Sha with the very thing they meant to control, and the Sha lost -- keeping in mind, Y'shaarj was the most powerful Old God and he became even more dangerous in death. If Garrosh was able to still maintain control against that... well, I guess there's a reason why he succeeded in so many timelines at being one of the greatest Warchiefs the Horde ever had. But it also says quite a lot that this one incarnation became the dominant representation despite all the other ones being so great as well.

Garrosh didn't have a moral reason for hating the Fel. He viewed the Fel negatively because it was used by people he viewed as cowards who led the old Horde to destruction: the Shadow Council. Garrosh sees that Sha as a new, untested power and thinks he can control it, and if he can, then he will lead the Horde to victory.

I don't think it's worth speculating hard over because all magic is just the same corrupting force with different colors. Fel is corrupting, but can be controlled. So is Void, so is Light, so is Arcane, it's all the same.

Yes he was, and this showed that he didn't really learn the lessons about the Old Horde, repeating the same ideals and path just minus the fel and demon blood.

garrosh cared for the horde but only his horde. what he deemed the true horde. aka the horde from the first and second wars that took what they wanted by force and lived in war.

He was a fool and a hypocrite, yes.

Hence why he is (or was? I don't follow SL lore anymore) a massive anima battery for the Venthyr

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Garrosh didn't have a moral reason for hating the Fel. He viewed the Fel negatively because it was used by people he viewed as cowards who led the old Horde to destruction: the Shadow Council. Garrosh sees that Sha as a new, untested power and thinks he can control it, and if he can, then he will lead the Horde to victory.
    His moral reason was natural strength. Fel was a pay to win. You didn't earn it. You were just given it. You didn't have to earn your strength through skill or struggle.

I love the garrosh character and want a more evil horde like wc1-2.... but garrosh is a hypocrite and it's why he's meant to lose in a way.

It's the classic villain flaw. Every villain needs them or else they'd win in stories. Garrosh's flaw was being a hypocrite, and pride.

Still, arguably the best WoW character (as in, didn't come from the RTS games)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchbishopBenedictus View Post
    I'm not a Horde player so maybe this is why I'm confused. Garrosh hated warlocks, having the Horde muddied with other races and was ashamed of his father for drinking demon blood, yes? But then he eagerly and desperately consumes the power of an Old God that literally corrupts him. Am I missing something or was Garrosh just a huge hypocrite? Thanks
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe Garrosh's hatred of Warlocks is because of their use of a corruptive magic, but because of what it represented to the Orcs. The Legion had enslaved the Orcs and he saw Warlocks as being representative of this old humiliation. That said, if there was not this history with Fel magic I doubt Garrosh would have actually cared about the use of Fel magic at all by Orcs. It could be called hypocritical due to Garrosh having an irrational distaste for a specific type of corruptive power (keep in mind that even Arcane magic can corrupt individuals by causing magic dependency, as we've seen with various Elven races), but it's not for the reason assumed.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief