Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    My bets are on Chelsea this season. The way they performed once Tuchel took over was pretty bonkers.
    they still have goal scoring problems imo given that werner is the new morata/torres.

I think watford are straight backdown, norwich losing Buendía probably puts them backdown, i dont really know enough about brentford to make a choice on them.

Palace should be safe again but its not really enough. I think newcastle and burnley are still much worse than them.

Usually I'd be jumping with joy, and I've mostly been optimistic about Ole, but after the EL final I kinda feel Emery showed us how Ole still has a lot to learn as a manager, and therefore I fear Sancho will be lackluster under him :/ A bit like how Pogba performs better for France than for United, I guess. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Also kinda hoping we get some more people in the thread to talk about other leagues than the PL too, while I don't know that much about them, it's nice to have some change of discussion than the typical Premier League stuff.
    What do you now think about the Belgian Golden Generation? WC Semifinal was the best it could do, which is not that bad but should have atleast played one final imo. But perhaps it's stupid to categorize this or that as the golden generation, I mean De Bruyne and Lukaku will keep on playing and Tielemans has been progressing like crazy the past years. Doku seems like a potential worldclass player aswell. Maybe they will fare better when the label of the golden generation is gone and the pressure eases a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Bundesliga will be interesting considering the coaching changes. It may result in some chaotic results when the teams have switched coaches between them like a swinger's party changes partners.

Dortmund will have a good coach (Gladbach's former) but question marks regarding Gladbach's form after his transfer became official. Losing Sancho ofc hurts but they are in the run for Malen and if they can keep Håland they are always dangerous. Pretty solid squad all around.

Leipzig got Andre Silva. Runner up in the scoring race with 5? more goals than Håland. If they can get him into team without losing more key players they will pose a threat. Problem there is that they have lost both their CB, perhaps too big a hole to fill. Apparently they got an interesting coach in Jesse Marsch from Salzburg. I wouldn't understimate them.

Bayern can be a complete force under Nagelsmann but it can also be difficult for him. He can't risk losing the dressing room, these players will make it a nightmare for him if that happens. The most important thing for Bayern is to extend with Goretzka and Kimmich, reports suggest that both are willing to extend. Hopefully Sané can reach his potential aswell. I am very excited to see what Nagelsmann can do with this team! He is a Bayern fan since his childhood so he really connects with the club.

Don't know that much about the other teams to be fair, but many teams where affected by the coach transfer spectacle. Gladbach was really good under the first half of the season. They have got Frankfurt's coach and considering that Frankfurt has been quite solid for a few years, I assume that Gladbach can be quite promising if they keep their players. Switzerland got like 4 players from there and Elvedi, Sommer and Embolo were beasts these Euros.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I could tell you all about the Eredivisie but I think no on would be interested ������. Our "star player " Berghuis moved to Ajax for just 6.5 million euros.

One to watch is our goalkeeper Justin Bijlow. He will be the goalkeeper of Oranje, if he stays fit. The guy has everything.
    I would like to hear more!

Could you also point out some promising Dutch talents in the league. How do you think Gravenberch will fare now, he had quite an impressive season, didn't he?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henx View Post
    What do you now think about the Beligan Golden Generation? WC Semifinal was the best it could do, which is not that bad but should have atleast played one final imo. But perhaps it's stupid to categorize this or that as the golden generation, I mean De Bruyne and Lukaku will keep on playing and Tielemans has been progressing like crazy the past years. Doku seems like a potential worldclass player aswell. Maybe they will fare better when the label of the golden generation is gone and the pressure eases a bit.
    I think while Belgium has a lot of great players, so do many other countries, and the weaknesses this Belgian generation has were shown mainly in the game against Italy. Being ranked #1 didn't help things, and personally I don't think they should be ranked 1st. Expectations from both in Belgium and other countries were high, and they failed to provide.

Hopefully going down the rankings (if that happens? I guess it will?) should ease pressure a bit.

tell us about the mysterious Eredivisie i hear its where footballers go to practice kung fu and see how many red cards they can get a season.

but seriously if i was a british player aged 16-21 (who was a prospect) and wasnt getting first team football, i would get my agent and tell them to get me a loan to ajax. Best place to develop young talent and you will get champions league football.

I think while Belgium has a lot of great players, so do many other countries, and the weaknesses this Belgian generation has were shown mainly in the game against Italy. Being ranked #1 didn't help things, and personally I don't think they should be ranked 1st. Expectations from both in Belgium and other countries were high, and they failed to provide.

Hopefully going down the rankings (if that happens? I guess it will?) should ease pressure a bit.
    Yup. It's a little bit like with the English Golden Generation around 2006, other teams' players were as good or better.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the Golden Generation was that they let club rivalries get in the way of their ability to work as a team.

Whereas the current squad have an all in mentality. Look at the all Manc back four, two City, two United. In theory should be a disaster based on the experience of the GG, but you'd think they all play together weekly from how comfortable they are with each other.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The problem with the Golden Generation was that they let club rivalries get in the way of their ability to work as a team.

Whereas the current squad have an all in mentality. Look at the all Manc back four, two City, two United. In theory should be a disaster based on the experience of the GG, but you'd think they all play together weekly from how comfortable they are with each other.
    Managers also let the press pick the team as well, half were playing out of position because they were superstars who had to be picked regardless.

The mentality of these players is spot on. The 'golden generation' had way too many egos at play, there seems to be minimal on display here.

Now they just need Southgate to build a system that actually supports the insanely large number of creative players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Now they just need Southgate to build a system that actually supports the insanely large number of creative players.
    He won't and he shouldn't, squeezing players in for the sake of playing them so people aren't asking 'where's Grealish' every day was a massive part of that generation's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    He won't and he shouldn't, squeezing players in for the sake of playing them so people aren't asking 'where's Grealish' every day was a massive part of that generation's problems.
    I'm not advocating squeezing them in, but supporting them. That doesn't necessarily mean changing from the 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2.

Just figuring out how to tactically optimise those who we do have on the pitch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bloody hell... took ages for United to release the design for 21/22 home kit, and they come with this bland crap:

I guess at least the horrendous Chevrolet logo is gone.

I mean I know it's meant to be a throwback to the 60's and all, but pfffffffff xD

Edit: Okay it's growing on me.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-07-15 at 08:24 PM.

Considering what I read on reddit this seemed, strangely enough, only like an issue for that generation, wonder why. In the 90s they enjoyed playing together and now again.

I can understand you not wanting to be best friends with the guy you fight with on the pitch 2-3 games a year but to let it completely ruin the chemistry of the team is stupid. And it can be done just look at the Spanish side with Barca and Real players coming together and being one of the best national teams ever. Italy have some fierce rivalries and they would die for each other in the national jersey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I really like it. Getting Holy Trinity vibes from it.

Still hate the choice of sponsor, but if they're stumping that much cash up then so be it.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm not overly hyped about the sponsor either but to me personally it's a step up from that bloody Chevrolet logo ;p

Edit: Just realised, if I buy a replica it usually ships from the UK, and since 1st July this year we have to pay bloomin' import tax on shipments from there.

REEEEEEEEEE
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-07-15 at 08:41 PM.

Bloody hell... took ages for United to release the design for 21/22 home kit, and they come with this bland crap:

I mean I know it's meant to be a throwback to the 60's and all, but pfffffffff xD

I think they saved it until a few days after sancho

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I'm not advocating squeezing them in, but supporting them. That doesn't necessarily mean changing from the 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2.

Just figuring out how to tactically optimise those who we do have on the pitch.
    dyche wouldnt get a job at manchester city but he is a good manager.

thats where i feel england is at the moment. southgate is a good manager but our attack strongly outweighs our defense and southgate is a defensive manager.

id be happy for southgate to leave and come back in around ten years of managing well elsewhere but for now i think we need to move on.

15+ Year Old Account

Still hate the choice of sponsor, but if they're stumping that much cash up then so be it.

My mind is changed ;D

It looks a lot like the AIG kit from around 13-14 years ago when Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney were about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    tell us about the mysterious Eredivisie i hear its where footballers go to practice kung fu and see how many red cards they can get a season.

but seriously if i was a british player aged 16-21 (who was a prospect) and wasnt getting first team football, i would get my agent and tell them to get me a loan to ajax. Best place to develop young talent and you will get champions league football.
    Getting loaned to Ajax is quite unrealistic unless you are an absolute top prospect, and a team like Vitesse (it did good for Mason Mount) is more likely. The advantage of the Dutch league is that no team really cares about defending and it's wide open 4-3-3 lineups everywhere. Unfortunately, the level of the Eredivisie isn't very high, with only a handful of teams actually playing for the title (and realistically mostly Ajax and PSV due to budget).

Haven't really heard of Ajax loaning in youth players from other teams and why would they? They got a fantastic academy on their own and they have a lot of good players come through the ranks. English players going to Bundesliga seems to be a smart move though, can't say it's been bad for Sancho or Bellingham. Nelson had a decent spell at Hoffenheim I believe but then Arsenal didn't really capitalize much on that.

They put Van De Beeks name on the front, thats unusual!