Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it time for a sandbox mode?

To specify what I think a "sandbox mode" would be is something like allowing players to own official private servers where they're given creation tools to manipulate the environment, NPCs, items, etc. as they see fit. Sandbox servers would be solely inhabited by the player that owns it but other players can be invited up to a modest population cap.

Long ago I thought giving full map-editing tools to players wouldn't be worthwhile since it's separate from retail servers and thus inconsequential to the game. The success of Classic and increasing popularity of tabletop RPGs have caused me to change my mind. The former made me realize that WoW can be more than just a singular game and more of a collection of different game experiences under a single subscription. The latter made me realize how much appeal there is for imagination-driven adventures created by players themselves as opposed to fully produced adventures created by developers.

Basically, a sandbox mode can turn WoW into an engine for player expression, whether it be for aspiring game designers to create their own world on top of WoW or for dungeon masters wanting to create their own roleplay experiences with their friends. Classic already shows how people are willing to play WoW their way even if it has no effect on the live retail game. I've come to believe that a sandbox mode could be a natural next step to that, and open up a new avenue for community expression and growth.

You have too much faith in the people, buddy. You seem to forget that the majority of WoW players are not particularly intelligent, nor reasonable human beings. Without at least maintaining serious regulation, this would get cucked quickly.

Furthermore, that simply isn't what the game is made for. It's an unnecessary addition that has nothing to do with what makes the game good, and I'd rather Blizzard focus on actually improving the game rather than satisfying nonsensical additions like this.

Power to the players!

Natural curation, as only the fun servers would really get popular.

I like it. Sounds fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    You have too much faith in the people, buddy. You seem to forget that the majority of WoW players are not particularly intelligent, nor reasonable human beings. Without at least maintaining serious regulation, this would get cucked quickly.
    If it's all occurring in a private server with no effect on the live game, what does it matter if people do dumb stuff with sandbox powers?

Furthermore, that simply isn't what the game is made for. It's an unnecessary addition that has nothing to do with what makes the game good, and I'd rather Blizzard focus on actually improving the game rather than satisfying nonsensical additions like this.
    Well, that's basically what I used to think too. Then Classic happened, and it was pretty successful. This is more or less the same idea—let people play WoW how they want to play it. Like Classic, its purpose isn't to affect the live game, more so is it there to offer a different experience. Sure it would take some dev resources to implement, but mostly just to make a more user-friendly version of their own world editing tools. Once it's done, it'd be in the players hands. No need to constantly generate new content for it, because the players would do that themselves.

It wouldn't appeal to everyone, no. But I can see how it could appeal to enough people to warrant the upfront effort required to implement it. Again, like Classic.

Would be interesting to see how it'd fair. Their old RTS custom map tools was a huge success for the games themselves, even disregarding that they spawned one of the biggest genres of games ever.

I can see a lot of those fun, dumb, small maps being fun in 3d as well as maybe some proper RP sessions with some dungeon master's and whatnot.

Likely never gonna happen though. Blizz had such a hard time getting over and admitting that maybe people wanted to play classic over retail, so I don't see them ever gaining the insight that this might be something people would prefer over it as well. Would likely require way more resources than wow classic and is a lot more risky.

Quote Originally Posted by SunspotAnims View Post

Well, that's basically what I used to think too. Then Classic happened, and it was pretty successful. This is more or less the same idea—let people play WoW how they want to play it. Like Classic, its purpose isn't to affect the live game, more so is it there to offer a different experience.
    You mean the experience of level, do dungeons and raid? The same as it has been for 16 years but somehow having 1 actually useful ability and getting autoattacked by mobs with lower values of experience gain for aritificial longevity is somehow different in 2005, and in 2019?

When they abandon WoW and it stops releasing raids, hopefully they will add a tool, same as NW online had to create things yourself, but i doubt it.

Don’t see that working, you’d have a ton of dead servers then huge ones were everyone circle jerks their favorite streamer

Never going to happen.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Don’t see that working, you’d have a ton of dead servers then huge ones were everyone circle jerks their favorite streamer
    A server with a population of one can be a great server if you're the one that controls it. Sandbox games have that kind of appeal. Building a zone-sized castle or alternate history Azeroth can be a fun thing to do even if you're doing it by yourself and just sharing pictures online.

Quote Originally Posted by SunspotAnims View Post
    A server with a population of one can be a great server if you're the one that controls it. Sandbox games have that kind of appeal. Building a zone-sized castle or alternate history Azeroth can be a fun thing to do even if you're doing it by yourself and just sharing pictures online.
    It would just end up being something that is only VAGUELY what you're suggesting and will likely just suck. Garrisons was advertised as being fully customizable and able to be put in any zone the player wanted for a player housing experience. Then when it went live, it was a dead husk of what they advertised. What you suggest will pretty much never happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh.. No thanks, honestly. I'd rather have more effort put into the actual world, and then finally work on the housing idea as 'apartments'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Sounds like a huge waste of time and recources for something very niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    It's an unnecessary addition that has nothing to do with what makes the game good
    The silly stuff about WoW players somehow being dumber and less invested than general gamers aside, this is is basically how I see this.

It's simply not what this game is about.

No, it's not.0
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Having see what WoW community has achieved so far with the various addons and websites i believe that something like that is mandatory!

Imo, WoW is by far the played MMO in the history of MMOs solely because of its passionate community and giving them the tools to tinker would only enhance it even more!

The thing is you dont need 200 of the servers to be good. You just need one or two. There are some massively creative people out there, and i think given a good tool they could do wonders.

Will it happen? No. One part no because it would take a bit of resources to do. Other part is, Blizzard doesnt want another Dota running away from them. Since you would still need a sub to keep playing i guess it dosnt matter in the financial sense but they would be strict in the ip side of things.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, thank you.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

If you've ever played Neverwinter, the coolest part of that game for me is the fact that there are user made quests. I would love to see something like that added to WoW. Let people create their own small mini stories and adventures, and have others play them. IT can be little more than silly fun, but it would certainly add a good amount of replayability to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Eh.. No thanks, honestly. I'd rather have more effort put into the actual world, and then finally work on the housing idea as 'apartments'.
    Housing won't come unless Blizz gets desperate, it's their ace up the sleeve, i'm sure they've had it ready and been polishing it since launch 17 years ago, maybe, just maybe ffxiv has applied enough pressure, we can only hope, but unless there is a major drop in subs, we won't get housing until chit gets scary for them lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Housing won't come unless Blizz gets desperate, it's their ace up the sleeve, i'm sure they've had it ready and been polishing it since launch 17 years ago, maybe, just maybe ffxiv has applied enough pressure, we can only hope, but unless there is a major drop in subs, we won't get housing until chit gets scary for them lol
    People were already scared by the Garrison. Housing is in so many MMORPGs, and many have done better than FFXIV2 as well. Blizzard has the ability to do it now, but just needs the incentive and content to add it. I mean, Shadowlands - even Battle For Azeroth, are both expansions where it truly isn't time yet. Hehe. Maybe one day.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..