Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    As persom he seems to be pretty fun, for example when he made James Corden to parachute.
    lol I forgot about all that kinda stuff too. I hate late nite tv but I'll rabbit hole youtube clips of graham norton or stupid bits he does on diff late night shows and Ive seen him do a few fun ones. I always end up on him after searching for Tom Hardy.

The world needs more Tom Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Only 2 roles I ever thought he was good as were Lestat and General Algren. That's it.
    Captain Algren.

I don't know if I'd describe him as versatile.
    He exits very much in the vein of the blockbuster star (that the industry is trying to move away from because it gave the uppity actors too much power).

It's Tom Cruise is Ethan Hunt, not Ethan Hunt portrayed by Tom Cruise.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Tom Cruise can be very hit or miss for me. He had a hell of a run in the late 80's all the way through to the early 2000's with movies like The Outsiders, Risky Business, The Color of Money, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Interview with a Vampire, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut (I know some dislike this one but I always quite enjoyed it), Collateral, and The Last Samurai. There were some duds in there as well like Far and Away and Days of Thunder but he was pretty reliable to at least take on interesting parts.

Lately though, it's like he only picks the most boring movies possible. It's nothing but Mission Impossible movies and bog standard sci-fi and action roles. I don't know if it is because he is getting older and wants to prove he is still Hollywood leading man Tom Cruise or something. I honestly think the last time Cruise actually took a semi-interesting role in a movie was his part in Tropic Thunder and that was more than ten years ago. And glancing at IMDB that doesn't seem to be changing either. Only things listed on there for him are more Mission Impossible movies, that Top Gun sequel, a possible follow-up to the only slightly above average Live Die Repeat, and what sounds like yet another sci-fi action movie where Cruise plays the leader of a group trying to steal an energy source from the moon. It all sounds pretty boring. Pick more interesting roles Tom! You are better than this.

Oh, and by all accounts he is a bit of a nutter in his private life which is totally fine (you do you Mr. Cruise) as long as it doesn't negatively effect the lives of those around you.
    Eh.. his affect on Katie Holmes was not so great...

I really don't follow him much but I'm impressed how amazingly he has done almost all of his own stunts no matter how dangerous they are.

It seems he's always playing the exact same character/personality in everything he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It seems he's always playing the exact same character/personality in everything he does.
    I agree with this sentiment. In fact the only movie I've seen with Tom Cruise where he wasn't just "starring as leading action hero Tom Cruise" was Tropic Thunder.

That said, Tom Cruise action movies mostly remain entertaining to watch, so I don't particularly care if he's essentially portraying the same character in every movie.

I wouldn't particularly care about him being a Scientology representative if not for the fact that all cults are inherently dangerous to bystanders.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I like him as an actor but outside of his performances he seems unlikable.

I haven't seen a lot of his early movies, because there was a time that I really couldn't stand him, I feel he's one of those actors that is hard to see the character instead of the actor (Will Smith is another like this),

I appreciate that some of his later movies like War of the Worlds, Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion where he was playing more flawed characters, those movies it was a bit easier to lose the actor and see the character.

The tooth in the middle of his face still bothers me though.

He tends to fully invest himself in his role. His roles as "Capt Algren" and the disgraced major in "Edge of Tomorrow" are very different.(Surprising how much of an asshole he was at first in "Edge.")

He's the model professional. Just gets shit done. Bundles of respect for him.

Tom Cruise is pretty good but a great actor? Maybe he does too much paycheque movies but there aren’t a lot of movies where he’s genuinely great in. Consider Valkyrie. He’s pretty good in it but compared to Kenneth Branagh? Maybe next time don’t put them together in the same movie.

Tropic Thunder and Magnolia are definite stand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Lolwut? He hasn't made a good movie since the 80ies. He's about as versatile as Nicholas Cage.
    Nick Cage is terrific. One of the best actors alive today. Another actor that Tom Cruise should not be in a movie with. Just think of how great Cage could be if he didn’t owe the IRS millions and did lots of shitty paycheque movies that he overacts in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Tom Cruise is pretty good but a great actor? Maybe he does too much paycheque movies but there aren’t a lot of movies where he’s genuinely great in. Consider Valkyrie. He’s pretty good in it but compared to Kenneth Branagh? Maybe next time don’t put them together in the same movie.

Tropic Thunder and Magnolia are definite stand outs.

Nick Cage is terrific. One of the best actors alive today. Another actor that Tom Cruise should not be in a movie with. Just think of how great Cage could be if he didn’t owe the IRS millions and did lots of shitty paycheque movies that he overacts in.
    You: Dissing Tom Cruise for making Paycheque Movies that he's not great in.

Also You: Praising Nic Cage when all he does is make shitty paycheque movies that he is terrible in.

At least Cruise makes, for the most part, entertaining paycheque movies.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-07-17 at 04:58 PM.

Guy is a nutjob. We should not be supporting his movies.

eh I'd say his ability to get decent scripts that fit his range is better than his actual acting. that and his connections to scientology make me respect him a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    You: Dissing Tom Cruise for making Paycheque Movies that he's not great in.

Also You: Praising Nic Cage when all he does is make shitty paycheque movies that he is terrible in.

At least Cruise makes, for the most part, entertaining paycheque movies.
    Cruise phones it in. A lot. His baseline is at least decently entertaining.

I’m praising Cage for his good movies. Admittedly, he does a lot of shit movies. Cage at his best is still better than Cruises best.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh I never liked his movies
    The guy has some done some serious sketchy shit over the years too
    https://www.nickiswift.com/300686/di...es-life-today/

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Cruise phones it in. A lot. His baseline is at least decently entertaining.

I’m praising Cage for his good movies. Admittedly, he does a lot of shit movies. Cage at his best is still better than Cruises best.
    Cage hasn't been at his best for decades now...

Cruise consistently puts in solid performances. Maybe not oscar worthy...but solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if he is secretly an evil alien soul living inside a human body!/s
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

I don't mind Tom Cruise at all. Guy has had a lot of stellar movies in his career. I think the more "recent" ones I enjoyed immensely from him were Tropic Thunder, Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow. His career seemed to shift to more sci-fi movies. Given his stance on scientology I think Hollywood might've done that intentionally. Last action movie I recall seeing with him was Mission Impossible Fallout..it was alright.. I felt Henry Cavill was completely flat in that movie. There is more notable fun action movies the guy has had, that have stood the test of time very well.

As for relationships that everyone is mentioning. He just strikes me as a man with a big ego in a tiny package. (Which potentially could put a strain on his relationships. Katie ran away him while he was filming a movie.) I heard scientology stroked this and how he fell pretty hard into it. I personally enjoyed him more with Nicole Kidman than Katie Holmes. but I have no issues with Katie either. It's just him and Nicole did several movies together and I heard he pursued her down pretty hard to get into movies he knew she would be in. I think that's pretty cute. They did Stanley Kubrick's last movie Eyes Wide Shut together. Really shows how much of a power couple they were. Which they most definitely were in that movie.

I think he's a good little actor. As I said he has a pretty stellar career. (A lot of movies I didn't give shout outs to.) There is some actors I cannot stand and it is an instant repellent for me. I would not put him on that list. Everyone is different tho.