Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Chores"

"Casual" mythic raider guys want to play the game as little as possible so that shit has got to go.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Resist gear is good for crafters / gathering gameplay, but Blizz don't care, they treat them as 3rd class citizens.
    That's just nonsense.

What good does resist gear do for you when you are gathering shit? Do you just what, juggle 5 separate resist sets in your bags, between zones and mobs as you gather nodes? And then just run away, as that stupid, weak elemental thing (assuming the zone even has any monsters resist gear could be used for) is harassing your bum, dazing you for miles, so you can have another go at the node when it finally leaves you alone? You massively reduce your own damage to take less damage from monsters that are very much not threatening to begin with.

Wouldn't items with highly inflated amounts of stamina and armor be a much better choice, than gimmicky resist gear, that's almost never does anything, for a gatherer? Or even better, just regular gear, so you can just kill that damn thing you aggroed?

Is this an RP thing, because none of this makes any sense, gameplaywise?
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-07-18 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    slowminded persons in this thread can't grasp that preparation to the raid and acquiring gear was also part of the game and not a chore to be able to play what they think is a "REAL GAME" - raids

fix your minds kekw
    was?

so grinding stuff (quite often timegated, scales from onyxia for example) as preparation for raid in vanila was "part of raid", but now it is a chore and forced and whatever... seems like a double standards, unless ofc you consider todays timegating and grinds part of "raid" too

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    WoW isn't one of those RPGs, has never been, and only pretended to be one during vanilla. If we want to go down the rabbit hole of "why can my fire spell damage a Firelord lol" then I ask why can my sword even damage a giant rock monster, or why the Gnome tank whose only protection is a shield doesn't get eaten by a building-sized dragon in a single bite, how can the Hunter possibly carry a thousand arrows in a single quiver, and why I can swim in full plate armor with no penalties whatsoever. If the answer is that they're magic swords/shields/quivers/armor, then the fire is magic fire and that's the end of that.
    I find this such a dishonest opinion because it equates an element that would outright break the game for some players with something like wearing a special piece of armor on a given bossfight.

Be real, you cannot equate wearing some pieces of Fire resistance against a big Fire Elemental to "Gnomes cannot tank this boss because they get eaten" or "Melees cannot even hurt this mob because it's made out of X".
    The impact it has on a players ability to actually play the game is so fundamentally different, especially because you can actually prepare for a given situation, whereas a Gnome who wants to tank a dragon would need to outright reroll.

There is a line between "Certain mobs are immune against a given magic type" or "You need to wear some special armor" and "You are outright useless and can't do anything against it".
    Same for why you don't need resist gear, your armor's magic and resists fire, end of.
    Your armor doesn't resist fire damage.
    At all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What good does resist gear do for you when you are gathering shit? Do you just what, juggle 5 separate resist sets in your bags, between zones and mobs as you gather nodes?
    Farm Materials required for resistance gear.
    Sell Materials for required resistance gear.
    Use profit to buy some other gear.

Not necessarily "gatherers" but rather people who want to make gold by farming stuff in the outdoor world.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-07-18 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Yeah, with reagents usually farmed inside the raid (It was for MC, anyway), forcing you to grind half the raid for a while, in order to get the materials for resistance-gear (As well as rep hand-ins for the recipes), so you could get past the gatekeeper bosses into the second half, it was pure timegating, no thought required, just grinding.
    Still better than raw time-gating like delaying the opening of different bosses.
    And it actually requires a group effort to create, so it's fine in my book for a MMO.
    And really, "Muh RP" aside, what interesting gameplay was involved in "Ok, big fire elemental, better equip my asbestos codpiece for this boss", anyway?
    Speaking of bad argument, from where this "mu RP" idiocy comes from in fact ? We ARE playing a RPG, RP aspects are actually a core reason making the game interesting to begin with. That's the reason we're playing a game and not just an Excel spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I find this such a dishonest opinion because it equates an element that would outright break the game for some players with something like wearing a special piece of armor on a given bossfight.

Be real, you cannot equate wearing some pieces of Fire resistance against a big Fire Elemental to "Gnomes cannot tank this boss because they get eaten" or "Melees cannot even hurt this mob because it's made out of X".
    The impact it has on a players ability to actually play the game is so fundamentally different, especially because you can actually prepare for a given situation, whereas a Gnome who wants to tank a dragon would need to outright reroll.

There is a line between "Certain mobs are immune against a given magic type" or "You need to wear some special armor" and "You are outright useless and can't do anything against it".

Your armor doesn't resist fire damage.
    At all.

Farm Materials required for resistance gear.
    Sell Materials for required resistance gear.
    Use profit to buy some other gear.

Not necessarily "gatherers" but rather people who want to make gold by farming stuff in the outdoor world.
    There isn't a line between "it's made of fire and you can't harm it with fire" and "it's made of stone and you can't wound it with your sword". One applied to the game and the other didn't. Why? Because Blizzard said so back in the days. There was no coherent logic behind these mechanics like D&D strives to do, it was just like that. At least if a Warrior couldn't attack a stone golem with a sword he could get a mace instead. A Mage or Lock using fire damage in MC either was useless or respecced.

Now I'll grant resistance gear wasn't quite as impactful, but then refer to my first paragraph- it was boring as fuck. You slap on X amount of fire resist to not die to Y amount of unavoidable fire damage. Whoowee, such clever game mechanics, the sheer RPGness of it blew my mind. Had it been tied to slightly more interesting things -for instance fire resist totems from shammys/auras from pallies/whatever that you had to use when the boss does his big fire AoE, and/or dedicated enchants that let you choose between resisting fire or frost or shadow as the situation requires, then maybe the mechanic might have been somewhat engaging enough to be acceptable. Hunting greens that you put on for a couple fights to not die to unavoidable damage was not good gameplay and was hardly interesting from the RPG side of things either.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    because blizz is lazy af and got rid of every rpg element to focus on their system crap. and ofc to please the holy player so he is confortable with everything and pay $$$.

im not sarcastic btw
    They didnt get lazy. They just listeneted to whiny nonrpg playerbase. Mostly casuals what complained avout that they have to put extra effort to get those sets.

no it wasn't, that's why

There isn't a line between "it's made of fire and you can't harm it with fire" and "it's made of stone and you can't wound it with your sword".
    There is.

Classes that use fire spells can switch to another spell, Warriors, Hunters and rogues can't just switch to magic damage.

I reiterate, how those things impact the actual gameplay is very different, because immunities against certain speel schools didn't (at least generally) not render certain classes outright useless, whereas an immunity to physical damage does.
    Now I'll grant resistance gear wasn't quite as impactful, but then refer to my first paragraph- it was boring as fuck. You slap on X amount of fire resist to not die to Y amount of unavoidable fire damage. Whoowee, such clever game mechanics, the sheer RPGness of it blew my mind.
    I'm not going to argue whether it was an interesting mechanic, i think that's subjectve.
    Hunting greens that you put on for a couple fights to not die to unavoidable damage was not good gameplay and was hardly interesting from the RPG side of things either.
    Most of the time, resistance gear were actually craftable items, hence it wasn't about hunting random greens but rather farming up the mats for craft those resistance items.
    Only exception is Nature Res, which for some reason didn't get craftable items until Naxx.

You could substitute it with green items, but generally speaking, to go options were craftable items, which gave people who wanted to farm gold an another option to farm it and professions had some actual purpose to them.

1. Resist gear was dumb.
    2. When you did have a good geared groups with BiS (which ment the fella was likely on farm), eventually you were equipping BiS instead and going ham at the big bad.

Having to lug around an Onyxia cloak for a single boss was goofy enough, let alone a whole gear set in what was a lot less space to hold gear (which was also taken up with regents, arrows, pet food, etc).

Because resistences, elemental combat, meaningful stats, meaningful leveling and character, different types of weapons etc belong to real rpgs not esports games who pretend to be rpg
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Resist gear is good for crafters / gathering gameplay, but Blizz don't care, they treat them as 3rd class citizens.
    generally speaking, to go options were craftable items, which gave people who wanted to farm gold an another option to farm it and professions had some actual purpose to them.
    Luckily for us, Blizzard found a way to make crafted gear more relevant without resist gear this time around. This is pretty much the most crafter-friendly expansion since...Wrath? Or BC?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Not sure what your point is. Saying, “I don’t like this, I’d prefer if it were removed” seems like a totally reasonable perspective.
    If you lived in a bubble.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Luckily for us, Blizzard found a way to make crafted gear more relevant without resist gear this time around. This is pretty much the most crafter-friendly expansion since...Wrath? Or BC?
    ...you mean legendary tokens?

15+ Year Old Account
    Resist gear was an interesting flavor but it is bad player experience. Resist gear always gimps your character and therefore it's not fun. Some BC encounters need res gear for the tanks only. I think this is acceptable. Res gearing the whole raid is a big no no.

...you mean legendary tokens?
    Legendary bases, yes. It's the most relevant endgame crafted gear...basically ever.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    This is pretty much the most crafter-friendly expansion since...Wrath? Or BC?
    SL crafter friendly? How? This time (at least on my server in the first month) crafters had to pay to get clients if they wanted to rank up their recipes. That was a very serious nail in the coffin for me.

resist gear wasn't good

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    SL crafter friendly? How?
    This is the only time in the game's history where everybody doing remotely serious content requires crafted gear. There is probably more crafted gear being worn, particularly by max level players, than at any point since...probably ever? By "crafter friendly" I was referring particularly to the relevance, not necessarily the economics, of crafted gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    This time (at least on my server in the first month) crafters had to pay to get clients if they wanted to rank up their recipes.
    I don't recall seeing any of that in trade on my servers, but I don't doubt it. Of course, being first to have the rank 4 bases probably also made those players a lot of gold in the long run. Also, "paying people for skill/ranks" has been a thing in many expansions, particularly Enchanting (pre-vellums) and Alchemy.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2021-07-18 at 06:03 PM.
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Still better than raw time-gating like delaying the opening of different bosses.
    And it actually requires a group effort to create, so it's fine in my book for a MMO.

Speaking of bad argument, from where this "mu RP" idiocy comes from in fact ? We ARE playing a RPG, RP aspects are actually a core reason making the game interesting to begin with. That's the reason we're playing a game and not just an Excel spreadsheet.
    Because at some point, you have to weigh the importance of RP (Or the ever-nebulous thing called "Immersion") against the importance of it being fun to play, Vanilla had a lot of things that were great for immersion (I suppose), but didn't add anything meaningful to gameplay (Hunter ammo, rogues crafting their poisons, soul shards as resource in bags), great for immersion, but little more than a hindrance in gameplay terms, and even Role-playing games should be "game" first and "role-playing" second.

Sure, resist gear was less of a chore than having to start an hour early to fill up on soul shards, but still, what did any of it add to gameplay? Ammo was crafted (or just bought), such immersion! And buying poison reagents, clicking "Create all" and going to the toilet while the bar refilled a few dozen times wasn't really the stuff dreams were made of, either.