Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You know the game is getting popular when it's getting so much hate here lately.

Thanks for the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Ign agrees
    Not enough trumpets either, 4/10 angryjoeshow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Offbeat View Post
    Ah yes them skinny males, with their long fanciful hair. (not saying they don't exist, but Belf Males exist too. You can choose what you play though.)

Flashy animations I can't deny of course. But that's par for the course for FF

Compare WoW to any other game that was developed in Asia then compare that Asian game to another Asian game.

You are just cherry picking at this point.

My problem isn't that it's Japanese, but that it's Japanese in an annoying way. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is very Japanese and I love it, but it draws on different parts of the culture. FFXIV draws on parts of Japanese culture I don't personally enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by dominatedd View Post
    Compare WoW to any other game that was developed in Asia then compare that Asian game to another Asian game.

WoW has way too many furry races and FFXIV too many human looking ones to make a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    WoW has way too many furry races and FFXIV too many human looking ones to make a fair comparison.
    That's subjective. e.g. I would call worgens, dogs not furries.

You can't compare WoW to FFXIV. FFXIV feels like a game that was developed in Asia, you can comparing more to Asian MMO's then WoW, its just silly.

10+ Year Old Account

Offbeat is making a point here. Yes, there are slender males (elezen, miqo'te, and the upcoming viera), but there are also average men (midlander hyur) and muscular men (highlander hyur, roegadyn, and hrothgar). Midlander men also have a muscle slider that lets you decide how cut and toned you want to look, ditto highlanders of both genders. Roegadyn and hrothgar are Warcraftian in proportions, and the roegadyn rival the draenei in sheer sexual dimorphism.

Their point is that just like in World of Warcraft, you have several options for what body type you want to play; nobody is forcing you to roll up a Sephiroth clone or go around looking like Great Value Inuyasha. Just like it would be intellectually dishonest to write every WoW character off as "a walking fridge based on some 95-pound geek's power fantasy after he got shoved in lockers one too many times," a lot of these threads bring up disingenuous points as though they're a universal truth simply because they're an option.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

You can't compare WoW to FFXIV. FFXIV feels like a game that was developed in Asia, you can comparing more to Asian MMO's then WoW, its just silly.
    Just wondering, but what is your definition of a furry? I feel like we have wildly differing opinions here, because if you ask me, then yes. A walking talking dog/wolf is a furry.

I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of FF either. Warcraft has a more iconic look, but I also feel like they've went too Disney in some regards. Cute fox people, the updated Tauren in WoD look nothing like what I imagined them to be since WC3.

ESO is probably my favorite MMO aesthetic honestly. It has other problems though.

For the next MMO I play I'd like to see something that's a little darker but still stylized - only game that comes to mind is Darksiders. Maybe Gears of War even.

I think the problem might be with JRPG tropes and aesthetics more so than broadly Japanese ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Xez View Post
    I think the problem might be with JRPG tropes and aesthetics more so than broadly Japanese ones.
    Which tropes?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of FF either. Warcraft has a more iconic look, but I also feel like they've went too Disney in some regards. Cute fox people, the updated Tauren in WoD look nothing like what I imagined them to be since WC3.
    The new Tauren models don't look mean like the old tauren models, but they do look more empathetic. I think it's the eyes. I guess this might have been a good thing since the new models came at a time when WoW started implementing dialogue boxes that had character's talking faces, and cutscenes with closeups on character models (sadly in engine cutscenes in WoW look very silly).

ESO is probably my favorite MMO aesthetic honestly. It has other problems though.
    I don't like the character models in ESO. They look... uncanny, and... ugly? Skyrim's vanilla faces (for the humans, at least) looked better, though I still wound up having to install face revamp mods to get them to look appealing.

Humanoid with fur.... its a furry
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Lazy ass trolling thread .... but strangely effective.

7/10

Just wondering, but what is your definition of a furry? I feel like we have wildly differing opinions here, because if you ask me, then yes. A walking talking dog/wolf is a furry.
    Doesn't really matter. As at the end of the day its subjective. E.g. Art, you may see something different in the portrait then the other person, yet yall are looking at the same painting.

This whole thread is about how OP is bewiledered by the fact that FFXIV has many Japanese culture reference, if not majority and people replying that WoW suffers the same fate, which I argue, it does not, because cherry picking does not equal that WoW has the same problem.

WoW has many cultural references. E.g. Trolls resemble /explore Jamaican cultures
    Last edited by dominatedd; 2021-07-18 at 04:08 PM.

I find the argument that it's too Japanese odd. Ivalice has always been a very 'western fantasy' setting (at least by Japanese standards), the only overtly 'japanese' part is Doma and Hingashi.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Ah yes them skinny males, with their long fanciful hair. (not saying they don't exist, but Belf Males exist too. You can choose what you play though.)

Flashy animations I can't deny of course. But that's par for the course for FF
    We've been over this before. The overwhelming vast majority of FFXIV characters do not look like that. Raubahn is really the only muscular looking character in the game. Everyone else looks like a bishounen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I find the argument that it's too Japanese odd. Ivalice has always been a very 'western fantasy' setting (at least by Japanese standards), the only overtly 'japanese' part is Doma and Hingashi.
    I assume they're talking about the aesthetics and the presentation. Catgirls, wacky slice of life anime comedy cutscenes (the "take off your clothes and let me wash your back" scene comes to mind), zany anime stuff like roegadyn wearing leotards, etc.

He probably thinks Human(oid)s with minor "beast like" features (cat ears, tail, etc) to be furry. But that opinion doesn't seem to reflect reality when one of the first results for "Furry" in a google image search is this:

A Furry race would be an Anthropomorphic race, which is defined as a beast with human like characteristics (IE walking upright like a human, etc). Which is what a Worgen is. It's also what a Tauren, Vulpera, PANDAREN, and maybe even to a lesser extent, Draenei are.

Personally, I don't think this is up for debate on what counts as furry. WoW wins in that department 100%.

(I am not saying that I dislike WoW's furry races, I do have alts of those races).

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    He probably thinks Human(oid)s with minor "beast like" features (cat ears, tail, etc) to be furry. But that opinion doesn't seem to reflect reality when one of the first results for "Furry" in a google image search is this:

A Furry race would be an Anthropomorphic race, which is defined as a beast with human like characteristics (IE walking upright like a human, etc). Which is what a Worgen is. It's also what a Tauren, Vulpera, PANDAREN, and maybe even to a lesser extent, Draenei are.

Personally, I don't think this is up for debate on what counts as furry. WoW wins in that department 100%.

(I am not saying that I dislike WoW's furry races, I do have alts of those races).

Lol, did someone manage to design a Kratos furry, am done with internet today XD

Lol, did someone manage to design a Kratos furry, am done with internet today XD

Looks more like a moogle-bear? With a goatee?