Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    all their multi-colored haired sjw devs
    Who is this person?

I basically switched in April, way before Asmon or the streamer wave. There was all kinds of YouTube videos about people switching around the same time based anecdotally on what YouTube was giving me, though you'd be a complete moron to think that he hasn't had an impact on the game.

I barely watch streamers, but have watched a bit lately. All the ones (top 5 most viewers) I've watched playing FF14 seem to be having fun and the vibe is light. Asmon especially. The vibe in the WoW streamers I've watched (top 5 most viewers) was generally a bit heavy, dumpy, and tense. I'm not counting the Mythic race people either. YMMV, but that's been my experience.

Hopefully Asmon and all these new big streamers playing primarily just gives the developers at SE more feedback and resources to make the game better. From what I've heard it sounds like they actually will make good use of that.

And forces Blizzard to actually do something. Though, I don't really see what they could do short of a revamp at this point and I don't have the confidence in them to think they would do a good job with that.

The people that made the company are basically gone. The only one left that matters is Samwise (head artist), who is 4 months short of hitting 30 years there. Would not be surprised at all if he left after hitting that. Upper management seems to run the show now and seems to just care about retention in the hopes it will get players to spend more. Morale is apparently at an all time low, and they time and time again seem to genuinely be out of touch and refuse to communicate with the community to make the game better.

I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-07-19 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    First time watching his stream recently in FF14, how are people in wow mad at this guy so much lmao. Hes like average mmo player, seems to care a lot about glamour, mounts and shit. Watched him doing some of the coils, was pretty funny to be honest, he talk fake shit, but seemed overall pretty respectful of the randoms he got into the raid. Chat is toxic asking him to kick people and shit, but thats every twitch chat with 10k+ viewers in any games. Looking forward to join his glamour contests once data center travel releases. My server had queues long before he started streaming, but im on the current most populated NA server.

The only downside is in this forum all the wow players ass mad making threads about shit lmao.
    Just angry boomers upset that a video game streamer makes more than them. Id hazard a guess that this forum trends much older than the general playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Tbh i might give FF14 another try after all this hype, but the main thing i am excited about is this surge of popularity and exodus from WoW will make the devs wake the fuck up and get their shit together. They can't keep fucking around with conduit energy for the lulz and expect people to be OK with it. Competition is ALWAYS good for the consumer.
    I sincerely hope so. If they keep thinking that designing a new system will fix the problem they're gonna run the game into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Thinking about it, I'm glad "millions" are leaving WoW. As we all know, only a very small portion of the community plays at the higher level.. Which means the vast majority of those leaving.... Are shitters.
    Those shitters are why we have raid content in the first place.

No shitters = few subs = WoW won't make the nice end game content we're used to.

Shitters are part of the ecology of an MMO. Losing them will cost us a lot more than you think.

A lot of people who raid also enjoy having casual content.

Hell, I asked for player housing for years back when I played WoW for that reason. The suggestion was shot down every time by a very vocal, bitter minority of players who felt that it would be a waste of time.

I was lucky enough to snag a house in FFXIV and it's provided me with a lot of entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I mean i haven't played since 4.0, but it's just the better game and you should be happy more people play it so the wow devs actually wake the hell up and stop churning out garbage with a smug attitude about it all
    I have to agree, and when he goes back to WoW with a new update they all are gonna flock with him and that's gonna hurt XIV. Lets face it, this guy will go back to WoW...it's what made him popular and these people go back to WoW good or bad to make more videos that people follow like it's the word of God.

I do find it odd. I don't watch streamers nor WoW or FFXIV videos on YouTube. Suddenly my feed was full of "WoW veteran plays FFXIV" videos, including a lot of people I'd never heard of with less than 10k subs. I admit, after being flooded with the stuff after awhile I decided to check it out, why not with a generous trial version.

I'd played FFXIV at launch and liked it except I was put off by required group content to progress. I still don't like that, but I thought I'd give it another chance especially since my goal before quitting WoW (again) was to try to get over my dungeon anxiety. It's not bad so far (still in ARR), reminds me a lot of Wrath dungeons, pull everything and AoE.

I don't like Asmongold either, but not playing something you might enjoy because of someone else is ridiculous. As for BC, I hated that expansion. I played it because I was addicted to WoW at the time, but I have few fond memories of it. The people who loved BC seem to be the same type of audience as retail, those who enjoy difficult dungeons, raids, and PvP. I can't think of much BC offered the casual player besides daily rep grinds for mounts, so I'm not surprised that its audience is limited.

The main draw of FFXIV for me is it reminds me of vanilla in that, at launch, you had all of EK & Kalimdor, it was a ton of content. FFXIV has all of ARR + almost 4 expansions. Add in all the jobs for altoholics like me and, yeah, I could end up spending a lot of time in this game before coming close to hitting any sort of end game wall. Technically WoW has all that too, except Blizzard dismisses old content with every new expansion and tries to rush you to end game ASAP. As much as I liked Chromie time, I did not like the increased leveling speed or that it stops at 50. It was the last straw for me, even leveling alts wasn't fun anymore because it was over in 10 hours and they were in the same SL rut my main was. Why bother?
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    Calling bullshit. The shift started prior to this guy streaming FFXIV. It was that shift and popularity movement that got him to try it.
    It's not bullshit at all. It's because of streamers and they really do have influence and can hurt or bring money to companies. They are not payed millions of dollars by some companies to stream games for nothing.
    Even me wanted to try it and i hate weeb games.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Just angry boomers upset that a video game streamer makes more than them. Id hazard a guess that this forum trends much older than the general playerbase.
    Nah bro, you probably missed him a couple times when he is grumpy and says weird stuff.

Is just normal stuff like calling people "pussy ass bitches" if they act a certain way...or that is not manly to do X thing...or when he says "thats just the truth and is a fact" to some of those crazy opinions.

Is normal "dumb stuff" but it doesnt stop it from being dumb and even stupid sometimes.

I still think Asmongold is just putting up a show as much as he can...i 100% believe what we see onscreen is nothing like his true self.
    So i dont hold a grudge for the guy...he is just making money with a formula that works.

People should take advantage of the stupidity of mankind. He is successfully doing it....why tha hell should he stop? Most people dont deserve any better because they are just stupid.

Asmongold is doing it successfully? Good. Means he is smart on his business. Nothing else.

I think it probably had a pretty wide effect. Admittedly I started playing FF14 because I had quit WoW because this expansion kind of blows and then I saw a video about final fantasy (not asmongold, but still). I think streamers and youtubers have a massive effect on what games people play. If all the WoW streamers and youtubers suddenly start talking about final fantasy in a positive light, there's a good chance a lot of their followers will at least give it a go.

Asmongold was probably paid 100K USD or more by the company to stream that game. Game developers do this all the time, because they know the money comes back from the sheep who follow.

Fanboys doing fanboyish stuff... just as they joined the game because of streamers they will leave it... Nothing new...

Wow gets 10x better when he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'd played FFXIV at launch and liked it except I was put off by required group content to progress. I still don't like that, but I thought I'd give it another chance especially since my goal before quitting WoW (again) was to try to get over my dungeon anxiety. It's not bad so far (still in ARR), reminds me a lot of Wrath dungeons, pull everything and AoE.
    At least in my experience, people are really friendly in dungeons so I feel like there is far less to be anxious about. When me and my friend started playing, we joined dungeons for our story progression quests and pretty much fucked up everything that could be fucked up because we didn't know what was going on and the most that got said to me was someone explaining what went wrong after we wiped (in a nice way).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like watching lemmings when people only play games because their favourite streamer does.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    At least in my experience, people are really friendly in dungeons so I feel like there is far less to be anxious about. When me and my friend started playing, we joined dungeons for our story progression quests and pretty much fucked up everything that could be fucked up because we didn't know what was going on and the most that got said to me was someone explaining what went wrong after we wiped (in a nice way).
    Ya, it really is dramatically different than WoW. People are usually friendly and welcoming from the get go to.

I've personally had 2 toxic experiences since starting the game in April up until now (just finished the 80 MSQ) and they really weren't even that bad. I was even thinking how "cute" it was coming from WoW.

I mean, I usually have 2 toxic experiences in the first hour of playing WoW and they're usually much worse.

There's no doubt Asmongold moved the needle. It's kind of cool, but also kind of pathetic at the same time.

Going to be interesting to see the effect in the long run for the FF community, my quess is its a positive thing righht now but in the long run will be a negative thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Nah bro, you probably missed him a couple times when he is grumpy and says weird stuff.

Is just normal stuff like calling people "pussy ass bitches" if they act a certain way...or that is not manly to do X thing...or when he says "thats just the truth and is a fact" to some of those crazy opinions.

Is normal "dumb stuff" but it doesnt stop it from being dumb and even stupid sometimes.

I still think Asmongold is just putting up a show as much as he can...i 100% believe what we see onscreen is nothing like his true self.
    So i dont hold a grudge for the guy...he is just making money with a formula that works.

People should take advantage of the stupidity of mankind. He is successfully doing it....why tha hell should he stop? Most people dont deserve any better because they are just stupid.

Asmongold is doing it successfully? Good. Means he is smart on his business. Nothing else.
    He is a good entertainer and puts up a show on his main stream but he is not a good actor. Most of what we see on stream is his true self and that is what made him successful.