Poll: Will they stop after Classic WoTLK or keep going?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestoras View Post
    In my opinion, if Mists of Pandaria was directly after Wrath, there would be a chance to continue. But now in order to get to Pandaria we have to go through Cataclysm.
    I liked that expansion personally, besides the last part, with Deathwing raid and the LFR intro. Especially the heroic dungeons pre nerf. They were a delight, but for the majority Cataclysm was a bad xpac, and the undoing of the old world marks the end of the classic era if i am honest.
    I'd been wondering if they might skip Cata and go directly to Mists Classic. But now I wonder if they might bundle the two together in one nearly-double-sized expansion. Those who want to do the Cata endgame can lock xp for it, and those who don't can't keep going to Mists endgame. I admit that this idea could easily be incredibly stupid for a zillion reasons.

Looking at TBC Classic population isn't doing too hot compared to Vanilla Classic when it launched, we can infer that WotLK Classic reception is going to be even lower. For most players, Vanilla and TBC Classic already scratch that nostalgia itch. WotLK Classic will mostly appeal to Wrath babies and Arthas fanboys.

The only highlight of WotLK for me was Ulduar and Wintergrasp, everything else was meh.

If WotLK Classic numbers turn out to be a fraction of what Classic Vanilla had, I guess that will be the final Classic expansion. Then Blizzard will think of a way to reboot Vanilla Classic again.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    The division between classic WoW and modern WoW is the border between WotLK and Cata. It's not going to go any farther than that
    I disagree completely, and believe it is Legion that is the beginning of the.....situation......we find ourselves in now. Although, to be fair, Legion wasnt that bad at all, but it certainly planted the seeds.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-07-22 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

They probably stop after WOTLK. There aren't a lot of players trumpeting for the good ol' days of Cata. If they do offer a Cata Classic, at the very best the reception would be lukewarm. MOP could actually be well received, however.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing classic about xpacs past wrath.

azeroth revamped, dumbed down talents, looking for raid, ridiculous health pools and silly story lines have nothing to do with original wow.

I think no matter what they do people will play it, to varying degrees. There were probably people who first played during Cata or Mop and would enjoy revisiting it.

But the bulk of people who are interested in classic want the old school style of WoW and that ended completely after Wotlk.

I think there's more long term classic viability in them doing Classic+ versions of Vanilla (and maybe even TBC, Wotlk). I'd love to play a Wotlk with real difficulty. Vanilla and TBC have been "easy" in the revists, but in their time they were tough. Wotlk was easy in it's own time. My guild worked hard in KZ and had to earn our boss fights and then in Wotlk I was breezing through Naxx in pugs. It sorta killed the fun of raiding.

If there's a demand big enough to be profitable they'll keep going forever

I mean they will milk it to the best of their abilities and try to release rehashed old shit as long as people buy it, given they survive the current stuff long enough - which i hope they don't.

Also granted it will be hilarious to see how they sell Warlords again.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    I believe they will keep going indefinitely. Probably slowing down at some point (not release a classic every 2 years but perhaps every 3 years), 2023 Classic WoTLK, 2025 MoP, 2028 Cata, etc.).

This will give the WoW sub more value and a reason to keep the sub as they are giving you many different versions of the game to play on many different servers.
    CATA came out before MoP. I know this post is old. but the fact remains

The Classic fan in me says that Classic ends at WOTLK, because Cata is when the game was majorly overhauled and stopped being "old WoW". All of the Cata content is pretty much untouched in retail, you can go back and do it now and it's 99% the same.

The realist in me says that Blizzard is greedy as fuck and will keep the gravy train going with re-hosting old expacs for free money and to keep retail players busy with something to do during the inevitable content droughts retail has.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorylust View Post
    CATA came out before MoP. I know this post is old. but the fact remains
    did you really need to necro a 7 month old thread just to correct one post on a minor detail

they probably gonna keep making them but im not playing anything past ulduar unless its classic+ TBH

I think they would have to put too much effort/changes into a Cata Classic in order for it to be worth it. Probably just start the cycle over again with Classic Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    The Classic fan in me says that Classic ends at WOTLK, because Cata is when the game was majorly overhauled and stopped being "old WoW". All of the Cata content is pretty much untouched in retail, you can go back and do it now and it's 99% the same.

The realist in me says that Blizzard is greedy as fuck and will keep the gravy train going with re-hosting old expacs for free money and to keep retail players busy with something to do during the inevitable content droughts retail has.

did you really need to necro a 7 month old thread just to correct one post on a minor detail
    19 months since the previous post. Don't worry, I forget entire years sometimes too.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

All i cared about was tbc since classic was announced but yeah since that was removed as a stay server i have no interest in other expansions.

Im sure they keep going though as it's easy subs for low maintenance.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything after Wrath is not "classic", but I think they will hang on until MoP.

It goes OG wow = Vanilla.

Vanilla to Wotlk = Classic.
    Cata and MoP = WoW2.0.
    WoD to BFA = WoW3.0
    Shadowlands = Filler/Does not exist.
    Dragonflight = WoW4.0

I wish they would do something fun with classic wow, like updated graphics or all the current races / classes with tier sets. Idk, something different.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to say they'd go the whole way through WoW's history, but I'm much less convinced of that after they jettisoned one of their top 3 leads due to corporate dumbfuckery.

I honestly think Blizz is going to just leave the servers in Wrath Era and just leave Classic Era and Wrath Era up forever with no further updates, seasons, restarts, or fresh starts.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I didn’t play SOM because I felt like I needed a break from vanilla. But now the classic nostalgia is starting to kick in again and I feel like I could go fresh again. Just wish the content was paced slower as I didn’t get to experience Naxx as Shadowlands just came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardisbad View Post
    Anything after Wrath is not "classic", but I think they will hang on until MoP.

It goes OG wow = Vanilla.

Vanilla to Wotlk = Classic.
    Cata and MoP = WoW2.0.
    WoD to BFA = WoW3.0
    Shadowlands = Filler/Does not exist.
    Dragonflight = WoW4.0

I wish they would do something fun with classic wow, like updated graphics or all the current races / classes with tier sets. Idk, something different.
    I d include WoD into wow 2.0 and bundle Shadowlands into wow 3.0.

As for the topic at hand maybe I d play MoP classic but no way I m spending even 5 min on cataclysm.

I could see them going to MoP. I think WoD would probably kill the progressive classic community. But they'll go as far as they can as long as interest remains.

What they should do is merge all the Classic Era servers together region-wide. Leave a US PvE east/west, US PvP east/west, etc for other regions. Europe do it by language, i suppose. Then restore the BC servers to the day prior to the LK patch and merge those servers similarly. And do this for if/when LK ends or Cata begins, if they decide to continue on.

Perhaps Season of Mastery didn't work out, but this will at least leave these versions of the game in perpetual museum mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis1 View Post
    I d include WoD into wow 2.0 and bundle Shadowlands into wow 3.0.

As for the topic at hand maybe I d play MoP classic but no way I m spending even 5 min on cataclysm.
    WoD and SL are two of the low points for WoW. I guess consider them the end of their respective "era."

eras to me are:

1: vanilla and tbc - massive insane growth, server communities era
    2: wrath, cata, mop, wod - growth levels off and declines as communities are destroyed and blizz goes on an antisocial bender. took an entire xpac (wrath) to completely destroy the communities tho so it doesnt feel like anything is wrong to people YET.
    3: legion, bfa, sl - the AP years to try to add meaning to everything.
    4. df - a new era where instead of AP, they plan on 2384327498 patches per year to try to keep interest up, complete with roadmap on what to expect.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.