Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    So basically you've never played FFXIV and would rather call people liars instead of admit you're wrong. Gotcha.
    just look through some of the dudes posts. he is just a raging fan boi lashing out at ffxiv lmfao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's interesting how despite FFXIV being easier to produce machinima for than WoW (Gpose feature, and you can mod your game so you can place or impersonate NPCs or use better camera manipulation tools, whereas WoW bans any such modifications), but it doesn't have anywhere near as big of a machinima scene that WoW used to have. FluffStuff puts out a machinima twice a year, ZANEKONPU puts out one maybe once a year now, and... that's it? Perhaps machinima culture has died?
    i would say that the 'machinima era' as a whole died a long long time ago, it was during the age of great technological advancement in video editing where the hardware for such projects was relatively affordable meaning people had a PC powerful enough to render and produce these things, the software was made more accessible allowing these things to occur to begin with and at the time WoW was new enough to still have that air of 'new adventure awaits just around the corner' which allowed most machinima creators the freedom to create anything they wanted in that space, these days nobody really cares about that amateur level product and everyone has become so jaded with many of the games that machinima got made from that they don't care about the source material unless it's some kind of parody/comedy poking fun at the source material etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I just hope there's a few surprises in store as announcements to keep the hype train rolling over the next few months. Blitzball would do it, I reckon.
    How would you do Blitzball? As a game in which you have teams of players competing against each other, like maybe an 8v8? I'd be nervous as to how that'd work due to the input delay. Or a 1v1 RTS (or perhaps even turn based?) where each player control a whole team of NPC Blitzball players?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    How would you do Blitzball? As a game in which you have teams of players competing against each other, like maybe an 8v8? I'd be nervous as to how that'd work due to the input delay. Or a 1v1 RTS (or perhaps even turn based?) where each player control a whole team of NPC Blitzball players?
    A bit of both. Much like with Triple Triad, there could be an aspect of going out into the game world to recruit/enlist NPC's to join a player's team and then the player would pit them against an NPC controlled team and/or a team controlled by a rival player. Rewards would need to be purely cosmetic, so stuff like titles, a mount, minions, housing furniture and the like.

Ideally, the list of rewards would be expanded slowly over time and not be left in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    There have been quite a lot of people that were fed up with WoW and tried FF14 before Asmongold tried it. There have been a few other WoW content creators that made the switch - or at least tried it out - before Asmongold. There is this guy on youtube, Bigherosixy on youtube who in one of his videos said that he knows one of the main tanks in Asmongold's guild and that Asmongold apparently already strongly considered trying it out for at least a year - though of course I don't know how accurate that is - nor does it matter.

I think actually Asmongold was to some degree influenced by the current wave of WoW content creators that began playing to actually try it out himself.

I also think that many people had reservations about it because "lol weeb game cat gurlz", but somehow find it acceptable now because if some neckbeard like Asmongold plays it it is somehow acceptable to them. Others might not have cared about the game and actually saw him play it, and thought that it actually looks pretty fun. (This is of course true for other streamers and youtubers aswell, though probably to a lesser degree).

It is, however, safe to say that Asmongold DID have a great impact on the surge of the game since he started playing. He just didn't start it, but he definitely boosted it by a lot.

Edit: I also think a big reason why Asmon in particular has such a big impact is because he was for so long so adverse to the game as a whole and even the idea of trying it out. (I mean look at his facial expression at this moment - and yes, i know he was partly just memeing, but you get the point). I'd say if someone who has been this sceptic about the game is not only trying it but actually enjoying it, people tend to give their opinion a lot of weight. No praise is more effective than the one from someone who was highly sceptical at first.
    Yes, if even asmongold can have fun with FF14, then that says a lot. I honestly expected him to go the Quin69 route of boosting to end game, suck hard and blame your healers for everything, and then call the game shit. But he actually even voice acted every single quest he did and gave the game a really solid go and hes having a lot of fun. The transmog xompetitons in FF14 will he leagues more interesting than WoW.

There has been a lot of fuel for this potential paradigm shift. WoW's declining quality, quantity, and shift in gameplay, along with FFXIV's long grind of adding content and game improvements. FFXIV's devs behavior is also in stark contrast to Blizz's long line of missteps as well. All of this has been building and clearly Asmon has come along and set the fuel alight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Savage is pretty well between Heroic and Mythic. It's definitely not Mythic tier. Except maybe like "first two mythic bosses that pugs can farm" level.

Savage content almost always gets cleared within 24 hours. Ultimate is a different story, but there's....three?...ultimate fights in the entire game?
    show your logs from both savage and mythic. savage is MUCH harder then 99% of heroic bosses in wow. heroic in wow is faceroll and guilds can do it without knowing mechanics. First boss savage is comparable to first 1-2 mythic, second and third being mid mythic tier, and the final boss being close to final 3, but easier then typical end tier boss. in wow mythic, its extremely easy to kill with all gray parses and even easier to OVER gear initial tier boss fights, it is not the case in ffxiv.

"show your logs", yeah, I can see the type of debater you are. The guy that links armory pages to try to make a point.

Show me where I'm wrong. Like I said, savage raids tend to be cleared within 24 hours. Tell me what part of that is wrong.
    heroic raids are cleared by THOUSANDS day 1. savage by maybe a dozen if even cleared in 1 day. ffxiv raid tiers have no trash and less bosses making pulls an insane amount quicker. hundreds of pulls can be done in a raid night.

you cant really give an opinion on difficulty when you are a LFR hero yourself.

im not saying every ffxiv savage boss is as hard or harder then every mythic.

ffxiv bosses tend to get harder in a VERY linear fashion, where was wow, can jump around a lot more (look at this tier painsmith).

But on average from my savage and mythic clears, id say

ffxiv boss 1 = first 1-2 mythic bosses
    ffxiv boss 2-3= middle of the pack mythic, mid tier bosses
    ffxiv boss 4 = final 2-3 bosses
    Ultimate >>>>> any final tier wow boss by the sheer fact that you cannot get better gear to help
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2021-07-20 at 01:46 AM.

So you can't disagree with anything I'm saying, you just want to try to throw weird progression-based insults at someone you don't even know.

The weird thing is that this topic isn't even usually up for debate. Most everyone agrees that XIV isn't trying to be a hardcore raiding game. And most people are fine with that, that's why they're here.

It's just one random person every now and then that has to try to do this really awkward comparison of the raid content, like somehow XIV would be a lesser game if it didn't have harder content. Like somehow harder content directly correlates to quality.
    again if you cant show your own clears, you really have no clue. you are just guessing and projecting your own super weird fan boy bias. lmfao

i am not claiming ffxiv raids to be superior or harder. just on par on average with mythic outside of ultimate's. you denying it, just shows you have likely never cleared mythic or savage.

imagine if day 1 mythic limit had to kill boss 1, 3, 6, and 8. with no trash. it would have been cleared by them day 1 as well. along with method,. bdgg, echo and likely others.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2021-07-20 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Hey anything removing wallet players (whales) from wow is totally cool with me.

I'm starting to think i'd better stop preaching the truth, next thing you know people might actually start to think for themselves and wow will turn into an easy bake oven fisher price game too.
    Shit, you mean all this time these companies... want to make money? Damn, what a revelation, I'm so glad you are here to tell us how businesses work, cuz without you I'm sure everyone would feel like such a dumbass.

The who effect?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    Calling bullshit. The shift started prior to this guy streaming FFXIV. It was that shift and popularity movement that got him to try it.
    I second this, he's just following a trend like any other, at best he merely proves it's a thing and why wouldn't he be positive towards FFXIV? He's a clever guy and can tell why it's a popular alternative to WoW. There's no reason anyone should stick with a single game, I think everyone who's bored with WoW should give it a shot if they want to stick with the mmo genre.

That there's a shift or competition going on is all just drama and gossip for the sake of it, who cares?
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2021-07-20 at 02:29 AM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    What weird bias? I've played both games, one is clearly better for the social aspect, and one is clearly better for high end PvE and PvP. You suggesting that anything in FFXIV is equivalent to WoW's mythic raiding in terms of challenge is laughable. Square-Enix's own design philosophy works against that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    ffxiv savage is again, EXTREMELY comparable to wow mythic. nearly every single heroic raid boss in wow, is MUCH easier than savage in ffxiv (exceptions being 1-2 final bosses on release day only). Its not until mythic they start to compare. so link me your logs from both or stop making shit up for content you have never touched. Nearly every single player that has cleared mythic end bosses in wow AND ultimates in ffxiv rate them to be the same difficulty or harder in ffxiv favor.

you are just an oozing fan boy for wow. lmfao
    just look through some of the dudes posts. he is just a raging fan boi lashing out at ffxiv lmfao
    Yes my posts where I criticize Blizzard instead of taking the easy route of just blaming Activision and I criticize Blizzard for the extremely dumb decisions they make. The posts where I compare Blizzard not to an evil soulless mega corporation but to the family golden retriever that shits on the carpet randomly, those just ooze fanboy. If that's the only retort you've got to me simply pointing out that FFXIV occupies an entirely different space in the MMO market than WoW that's kind of sad tbh.

What weird bias? I've played both games, one is clearly better for the social aspect, and one is clearly better for high end PvE and PvP. You suggesting that anything in FFXIV is equivalent to WoW's mythic raiding in terms of challenge is laughable. Square-Enix's own design philosophy works against that idea.
    ffxiv savage is again, EXTREMELY comparable to wow mythic. nearly every single heroic raid boss in wow, is MUCH easier than savage in ffxiv (exceptions being 1-2 final bosses on release day only). Its not until mythic they start to compare. so link me your logs from both or stop making shit up for content you have never touched. Nearly every single player that has cleared mythic end bosses in wow AND ultimates in ffxiv rate them to be the same difficulty or harder in ffxiv favor.

you are just an oozing fan boy for wow. lmfao
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    So basically you've never played FFXIV and would rather call people liars instead of admit you're wrong. Gotcha.
    Show me one person who has actually done both who says that anything in FFXIV is more challenging / competitve WoW's mythic raiding and keep ignoring that FFXIV has no real PvP to speak of.

I like how saying that FFXIV is a successful game but disagreeing with the narrative pushed by your favorite streamers at the moment who are profiting off of the angst of disgruntled WoW fans generates so much toxicity from the FFXIV mega fans. I'll praise FFXIV for its strong points like a much more social experience in-game, but I'm not going to pretend that it has difficult content.

As far as calling me an an oozing / raging / whatever adjective you like fanboy, I get called both a Blizzard hater and a fanboy interchangeably with such frequency that if I paid any attention to it I'd have whiplash. You want to talk about what Blizzard does wrong I'll gladly tell you, you want to talk about how FFXIV is the only other MMO than WoW to have a decent amount of staying power over the past couple decades? I'm right there with you. You want to pretend that FFXIV has some amazingly challenging content that rivals what WoW offers in both PvE and PvP spaces? Yeah I'm not your guy there, I prefer to stick to non-fiction. I'll praise a good game for being good, I'll not lie about it to make it seem better than it is, you can tune in to whatever streamer is currently siphoning cash off you for that.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

I'll praise a good game for being good, I'll not lie about it to make it seem better than it is, you can tune in to whatever streamer is currently siphoning cash off you for that.
    That's where I think Asmongold is different. He's set for life, he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to so when you see him enjoying something it's most likely genuine. There are however a lot of streamers who are starting to jump on the bandwagon now that they realize that "oh shit, this game is popular I better get in on that" and them I think it's wise to be more sceptical of.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    That's where I think Asmongold is different. He's set for life, he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to so when you see him enjoying something it's most likely genuine. There are however a lot of streamers who are starting to jump on the bandwagon now that they realize that "oh shit, this game is popular I better get in on that" and them I think it's wise to be more sceptical of.
    One of them only played it to shit on it and get attention. It looks like that actually annoyed his fans more than drawing the attention he wanted. I'll call this the "TheLazyPeon" effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    I agree.

Asmongold lives a simple life, he literally didn't care about anything other than gaming his entire life even before streaming it. He lived on welfare before just to play more games. I am sure if Asmon had to decide streaming or gaming, his decision is gaming. Sure he enjoys both together, but if you had to make him decide the choice would be easy for him.

Considering how Asmongold alone massively skyrocketed ffxiv's popularity just shows that ffxiv wasn't as big or popular as people here claim. It's also nowhere close to wow's popularity.

The only thing we can't deny is that there apparently is some considerable sponsorship going on for the popular "influencers" to rave about FF. All the praise and criticisms for either game can easily be reversed and are all very subjective interpretations. I couldn't care less what a streamer/youtuber has to say about the games, which is also why I don't watch them, but it's disappointing to see how many people lack critical capability and own arguments.

Either way FF is creating a competition, regardless of whether it's based on the merits of the game or sponsored hype, but it should make Blizzard work for their money. So in that aspect I welcome competition just like I do in every other aspect of the free market. Personally I find nothing in FF that would gain me as a player, least of all its art style and no amount of "Asmongold Effect" can change that, but I do recognize it has a number of good ideas, whereas Blizzard have always been very conservative in implementing QoL, innovation and customization. On the other hand WoW has a much stronger game core that isn't carried by fluff features.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2021-07-20 at 09:01 AM.

heroic raids are cleared by THOUSANDS day 1. savage by maybe a dozen if even cleared in 1 day. ffxiv raid tiers have no trash and less bosses making pulls an insane amount quicker. hundreds of pulls can be done in a raid night.

you cant really give an opinion on difficulty when you are a LFR hero yourself.

im not saying every ffxiv savage boss is as hard or harder then every mythic.

ffxiv bosses tend to get harder in a VERY linear fashion, where was wow, can jump around a lot more (look at this tier painsmith).

But on average from my savage and mythic clears, id say

ffxiv boss 1 = first 1-2 mythic bosses
    ffxiv boss 2-3= middle of the pack mythic, mid tier bosses
    ffxiv boss 4 = final 2-3 bosses
    Ultimate >>>>> any final tier wow boss by the sheer fact that you cannot get better gear to help
    FFXIV player are more toxic and cringe than I expected. Asmongolds fanbase will fit well in this community