Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's down to WoW simply being more advanced technologically to enable things like these. It took Blizzard years to get there and it paid off IMO. Heck the basic phasing tech that allowed zones to change as you progress through story came in WoTLK and it was nascent back then, it took more than half a decade for it to reach modern state.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Oooh, another thing i love. I was thinking about playing through the MSQ dungeons and how they arent the most challenging content in game. And it got me thinking back to old vanilla end game dungeons and even early prog raiding (ZG, AQ20, Kara, Wrath, Naxx). I'm not that skilled. I'd put myself happily in the bottom 25% of players. So thats the context to the statement im about to make: I feel really satisfied with the challenge level of these dungeons. I feel super satisfied with the way they continually introduce new mechanics without overwhelming the player. Back in vanilla, wiping continually in ZG (our guild never finished it), whilst the rest of the playerbase have it on farm and are running 4 horsemen felt like a genuinely fair challenge. It was just on the right side of the trivial v challenging scale for players of my skill level. That's how i feel about running the msq dungeons and trials in this game. Its brought back that feeling that i can improve, and i don't have to just stagnate running bland and repetitive world content. It feels really nice.
    That's cool to hear, it seems that there is something for everyone in this game for those who like MMO's. Another thing to mention, that in these type of dungeons I've met many helpful and chill people. I found that this game has something more extra to offer, especially when it comes to community and player bonding. It's like vanilla wow all over again, this time it's on proper steroids.

I've also met players that aren't that chill, but these type of players aren't that frequent in my experience. The regular toxic players you see every single day in wow they aren't on my radar anymore. I found that nobody kicks people from the groups either, nor anyone will randomly starts mowing you down with rage attack for failing some mechanic. This of course is a subject to actual different player experiences. But in general I found that positive player behaviour is very noticeable. In wow I would get punished by the players in similar situations or kicked from the group instantly.

All that said, I'm not putting FF14 on a pedestal, it's just that at the moment this is the game I personally enjoy over any other MMO. The biggest selling factor for me that I'm not being forced to play any metas, nor I'm being forced to comply with any timelines. Nobody dictates me what to do. I play the game on my own terms. You can probably do same in wow I guess. I just don't know if there is anything to do in wow than comply with yet another bait by blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    That's cool to hear, it seems that there is something for everyone in this game for those who like MMO's. Another thing to mention, that in these type of dungeons I've met many helpful and chill people. I found that this game has something more extra to offer, especially when it comes to community and player bonding. It's like vanilla wow all over again, this time it's on proper steroids.

I've also met players that aren't that chill, but these type of players aren't that frequent in my experience. The regular toxic players you see every single day in wow they aren't on my radar anymore. I found that nobody kicks people from the groups either, nor anyone will randomly starts mowing you down with rage attack for failing some mechanic. This of course is a subject to actual different player experiences. But in general I found that positive player behaviour is very noticeable. In wow I would get punished by the players in similar situations or kicked from the group instantly.

All that said, I'm not putting FF14 on a pedestal, it's just that at the moment this is the game I personally enjoy over any other MMO. The biggest selling factor for me that I'm not being forced to play any metas, nor I'm being forced to comply with any timelines. Nobody dictates me what to do. I play the game on my own terms. You can probably do same in wow I guess. I just don't know if there is anything to do in wow than comply with yet another bait by blizzard.
    wow is a good raid game, ff14 is a good mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    The absolute lack of FOMO as a casual player is amazing.

I log in when and if I want, there's several things I can do, but if I want do something else, I do that instead. "Want to" being the key phrase.

My main job is only 44 and I'm on the 38 or 40 MSQ, and I've got heal and tank jobs at 37 or 38. Dungeons are decent enough, some better than others.

The 2 things wow does better are transmog and healing add-ons. I'm getting used to click healing but I don't like it nearly as much as Vuhdo.
    Why is there no FOMO?

And what is your version of FOMO in say, WoW ?

I'm curious... cuz a lot of stuff that is FOMO In WOW is same in FFXIV...

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I did the mage tower, again keeping rewards make people want to do it. Getting rewards in ultimate ff14 is not about when you show up, you will be scaled back to the time same stats as anyone else that finished it. Mage tower could have worked the same way, add more challenge with new rewards. Old challenges makes you exactly the same as any x spec doing the challenge when ever its in legion or shadowlands. If there is no rewards, nobody does the content even if its in the game. So if you want the content to remain relevant but exclusive thats the answer, keep it the same difficulty.
    Scaling is never perfect. Never.

They would have to 'snapshot' the patch at the time, so when you go back to Mage Tower, it gives you a preset ilvl and the old abilities/talents/AP powers etc perfectly. Or else the 'challenge' is not 1:1 and the reward is devalued. It's possible, but a lot work. They'd have to mirror Legion 7.3.5.x classes and use that to sync your char when you zone in.

A little more involved than the much sloppier and trash WoW/FFXIV version where they just scale your level/IL and don't care about anything else.

The other 2 options are;

1) 'Revamp' Mage Tower for the current expac with new(different) rewards. Not too hard since 90% of the legwork is already done.

2) Do nothing. lol
    Last edited by Daffan; 2021-07-17 at 04:15 PM.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Why is there no FOMO?

And what is your version of FOMO in say, WoW ?

I'm curious... cuz a lot of stuff that is FOMO In WOW is same in FFXIV...
    No? Blizzard has created a ton of daily tasks that players feel compelled to do or they experience FOMO. You log in, you do all of your daily "chores" that Blizzard has created, THEN you get to do what you want.

In FF, the dailies - the beast tribes, daily roulettes, and the few other daily things - can all be saved for other days, because they all have an end. Your beast tribe reps cap out, your levels cap out, etc. You don't feel like you're missing out if you skip a few days of daily stuff in FF. In WoW, if you don't do your daily chores, that day's rewards are gone forever, and everyone around you has gotten those rewards without you. That's the feeling it gives. When daily chores are tied to player power, no matter how minute, people feel compelled.

And here's the kicker. You along with many others who are chomping at the bit to defend WoW try to claim this phenomenon doesn't exist, that people aren't compelled to do things. And yet enormous amounts of players are citing that FOMO with Blizzard's daily chores as a big reason they hate the game. Perhaps when most of your playerbase is saying it exists, you should listen? Or you can continue to plug your ears. That works too. That's the same thing that led Everquest to be on life support. Every hardcore EQ player said "NO ISSUE, YOU'RE JUST WHINING" then everyone quit for WoW and EQ stopped receiving updates and went on life support.

Perhaps you should give more consideration to the complaints people have, when it's far far far far more than just a few people.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    And here's the kicker. You along with many others who are chomping at the bit to defend WoW try to claim this phenomenon doesn't exist, that people aren't compelled to do things. And yet enormous amounts of players are citing that FOMO with Blizzard's daily chores as a big reason they hate the game. Perhaps when most of your playerbase is saying it exists, you should listen? Or you can continue to plug your ears. That works too. That's the same thing that led Everquest to be on life support. Every hardcore EQ player said "NO ISSUE, YOU'RE JUST WHINING" then everyone quit for WoW and EQ stopped receiving updates and went on life support.

Perhaps you should give more consideration to the complaints people have, when it's far far far far more than just a few people.
    While I personally do not experience FOMO in WoW (im a hyper casual mythic raid logger these days), I really wanted touch on your last sentence as it's something I've long echoed on this forum about FF14 (it's 100% true for all games, but especially these 2). I just wish the community here would return the favor sometimes, but unfortunately I see a lot of overzealous rancor in response.

I just used a fantasia to change to a tanned female Au Ra with maxed boob slider nd the game is 100% better now.

10+ Year Old Account
    the one thing I have come around to in FFXIV ids its story, and not so much of the story, but it's flow. The game feels like a single player MMO but with the way MMO's have been over the years I am seemingly okay with that.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-07-18 at 06:15 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

This seems like it should be a minor thing, but I love that all the female faces don't have a default smile. Six years later and I'm still upset about the WoW remodels. All my elves smile all the time (particularly out of place for the night elves who have nothing to smile about), including the faces I'd picked specifically because they looked ticked off/badass now look like cheerleaders.

In FFXIV I have a character who looks put out/bored all the time and one who looks like she's judging everyone and I love it. Plus the added bonus of the cpose crossed arms. The ability to craft not just a look but a personality through body language has made the experience so much more enjoyable even if the story is the same regardless.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I just used a fantasia to change to a tanned female Au Ra with maxed boob slider nd the game is 100% better now.
    Changing and enjoying your avatar does bring a bit of freshness. Finding a really badass/ rewarding/ whatever you want to call it glamour has a similar effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I don't play WoW anymore because it's garbage. Nice meme though babe.
    You can customize the UI significantly, but its not very intuitive to figure it out. I was 60+ b4 I got a clean UI setup.
    The base UI is indeed garbage. Take a look at the hud settings.

Combat is super dull initially, but becomes alot better later on. There is just so many abilities, and they're all useful, but the game doesn't want to overwhelm you, so its a trickle every few levels for a long while.

The story also starts weak, but becomes a lot better. ARR (vanilla) isn't really known for having an amazing story, but it gets a ton better once you reach the expansions.

Give it another shot, if you haven't already. Ideally past level 50, but atleast to 30.

I've been playing the game and there is a lot of stuff that jumps out as different/better than WoW and some stuff that's worse.

The stuff that I really like is that the game doesn't artificially increase the length of time it takes to do stuff by making traveling the world a chore. My gladiator character got a 20 second sprint on a 1 minute cooldown at like level 2 and the base movement speed feels similar to WoW. Net effect is that I can run around the map and not feel like it takes forever. Being able to teleport to the different locations instead of having to ride a taxi is nice, and if I really want a scenic tour, the chocobo porters are nice.

I really liked that the game gave me tank tutorials right from the get go, covering how to dodge AOEs, how to gather multiple enemies and manage emnity. I got some sweet armor from the Smith quests and am looking forward to finishing the rest of them. This is the first MMO where I want to play a tank from the start and I'm really looking forward to becoming a paladin.

I love that I can just do the main quest and don't have to do side quests that I don't care about. I love that when I do a "collect bear asses" quest, every bear drops an ass (at least for the quests so far. I'm only level 19). I like that "kill X bears" quests are usually killing 4-5 mobs instead of 10-15.

I think so far the only negatives I have is that the 2.5s GCD feels very slow coming from WoW and I don't have enough spells that aren't on the GCD to keep the rotation smooth.

I also strongly dislike disparate art styles that show up in the game. I know that WoW has started to have some tmog stuff that feels out of place (yeti suit, fairy store costume), but generally its all coherent in design and feels appropriate to the world. I really can't stand my character in FFXIV being dressed up like a badass medieval knight in a magical world and then going into town where its a bunch of people hanging out in baseball hats, jeans, and skate shoes. Non-fantasy stuff in a fantasy MMO feels wildly out of place and Square should be more disciplined about what they put in the game for cosmetics.

I think the biggest thing for me that WoW can't ever replicate is the feeling of being new, limitless, and open for exploration. I know that when I get my head wrapped around everything, understand all the systems, etc that FFXIV will feel smaller and more "solved", but for now, I am just doing whatever and figuring it out as I go. You can only play a game for the first time once and I loved that magical feeling in WoW when I first started and am loving it now in FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Oh boy, just wait until we get another wave of everyone using that god-awful, abysmally ugly Regalia car mount for a while.
    I use the Regalia all the time. It's my favorite mount. It's the only mount in the game that feels like a big vehicle (the manacutter feels like a flying motorcycle with a sail attached).

meh i just want it because 1. it's not a creature and 2. it looks good on ground and in air which is something i always want for my mounts.
    i'd rather use the bike though if they'd just added some wings to it or something.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    meh i just want it because 1. it's not a creature and 2. it looks good on ground and in air which is something i always want for my mounts.
    i'd rather use the bike though if they'd just added some wings to it or something.
    The Motorcycle is the one I use all the time. It's ground speed is always higher than normal mounts until you get the speed increase, which is great while leveling, it has a really small profile (width wise) and doesn't have a ton of particle or sound effects that go along with it while it's flying so it's the least visually intrusive mount I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The Motorcycle is the one I use all the time. It's ground speed is always higher than normal mounts until you get the speed increase, which is great while leveling, it has a really small profile (width wise) and doesn't have a ton of particle or sound effects that go along with it while it's flying so it's the least visually intrusive mount I have.
    yeah it's great i'd just like some change for it for flying so that it looks like it's capable of flight you know?
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoy the graphics and the MSQ is awesome. I got myself smiling all the time when i went to the cassino area, so good

But then, IMO, the game is plagued with a huge flaw, wich is, ability bloat and the 4 men dungeon party.

Excuse me what? 8+ diferent buttons to perform the ST rotation, then 4+ diferent buttons for AOE. So eh, unless they prune a bit (well, not a bit but way more), i guess FF will only have a place for me is to get updated with the story and then wait until the next xpack is ready.

The classes i tried were monk, samurai, machinist, bard and black mage and the only class that i really fell in love was monk, but eh..the ability bloat, F.
    Last edited by Pigglix; 2021-07-21 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigglix View Post
    The classes i tried was monk, samurai, machinist, bard and black mage and the only class that i really felt in love was monk, but eh..the ability bloat, F.
    You should try Red Mage. It's the least bloaty of the bunch in my opinion.

I really enjoy the graphics and the MSQ is awesome.

But then, IMO, the game is plagued with a huge flaw, wich is, ability bloat and the 4 men dungeon party.

Excuse me what? 8+ diferent buttons to perform the ST rotation, then 4+ diferent buttons for AOE. So eh, unless they prune a bit (well, not a bit but way more), i guess FF will only have a place to for me is is to get updated with the story and then wait until the next xpack is ready.

The classes i tried was monk, samurai, machinist, bard and black mage and the only class that i really felt in love was monk, but eh..the ability bloat, F.
    Preface: I think there is a bit of bloat.

However, I think it is important to bear in mind the alternatives. WoW achieves small rotations through an enormous amount of RNG, and having now played a significant amount of FF14, I really prefer a few too many abilities to massive amounts of RNG... or really any RNG at all. Procs suck, and that's an opinion I only came to after playing a lot of FF14 and then going back to WoW and trying to play it again. The process suddenly stopped feeling exciting. Instead they felt like a chore.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    yeah it's great i'd just like some change for it for flying so that it looks like it's capable of flight you know?
    Meh, with all the other magic and technology and such going around in the game world, a flying motorcycle isn't THAT unbelievable.

The Fat Chocobo shouldn't be able to fly either, but that piece of cake gets it super motivated apparently.

The funniest ones, IMO are the T-Rex from Eureka and the Christmas bear.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the issue with the 4 person dungeon?