Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could see somewhat of a revamp/update happening to WoW, but nothing on the level of ARR. Square-Enix had to do ARR or close out FFXIV, it was that awful beforehand. WoW doesn't have that problem, they still have lots of people playing even with the recent in-game issues. There's still stuff they can work with, they don't really need to start from ground zero. They stand to lost a lot more than they'd gain with such a system, many of their players are at least loyal enough to come in at some part of the expansion & are very connected to their character's mounts/pets/look/etc. Redoing the entirety of the game would only serve to give these people an excuse to never return if they didn't like it immediately upon logging in.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    At this point, a major overhaul to WoW is a double edge sword. While yes, it could improve the experience, it could also be the death blow.

MMOs don't fail because of outside pressure, but poor management within. I don't feel Blizzard could handle that well. If the screw up the revamp, it kills the franchise.

It worked with Final Fantasy, but other major reworks like what happened in Star Wars Galaxies, aren't necessarily well received. Honestly, outside of FF, I don't know of any other MMO that did a rework that managed to save/improve the game.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    we have wow classic for people who want to experience an untarnished pure world of warcraft
    Yes but I want it to be reverted to 1.0 again (and have this be a thing like Diablo Seasons). Also it would be great to loose the boost spammers . Only in the initial first few weeks did I feel we experienced an untarnished pure world of warcraft like it was in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm starting to be a bit tired by people who want to recreate wow as they like with no consideration to other people and if they like the current wow.
    Make your own game

FFXIV is not that great, lets start with that hard fact.

What is happening is so many players are in their Honeymoon phase atm. Literally just listened to one of my WOW podcasts and i had to suffer listening through how one of the pod casters tried FFXIV and was overly impressed, this is someone whom has been playing only wow for the last 17 years.

Yeah, i was just like that too when i first started playing ffxiv 7 f'ing years ago, i was on a cloud, it was fresh, new, so much fun, everything on one character, omg and people thought sliced bread was greatest thing of all time, 3 months later not so much, my tune really changed. I have returned twice and last one was only a couple years back and yeah, a huge MEH, and quit... AGAIN!

I mean listening to him almost gets me feeling like oh maybe i should sub up again, but i know better, but so many other wow players are going to listen to that knee jerk reaction and think f me i'm missing out, or omg that sounds like paradise i should play that now because everyone else is. The problem is he just started playing a week ago, you know lets talk in 2 to 3 months right and talk about how you feel once the Honeymoon is over.

Wow does not need to scrap or launch a wow 2.0, they've already kept core systems such as graphics up to date, all they need to do is remold the content they have. They are sitting on mountains of content that could be reforged (lol sry) in to legendary questing experiences.

Chromie is a great feature poorly implemented.

Each one should have it's own Golden Path, tell the story of that time, of that expansion, from 10 to 50, all the content is there just make it a directed experience. That's so much fun alt activity for alt lovers, like myself, and is another reason i started to dislike ffxiv, same character never allows for fresh start experiences, new adventures, new personality, why roll an alt in ffxiv, it's the most pointless thing any player could ever do, so you're screwed as an alt lover in ffxiv.

Offer ways, like adventure systems, for characters that don't have their class hall, or their garrison fleshed out, make them separate journeys, turn them into experiences with a path, a journey at any level say over 50. Now, another trick for them is to make them useful again in some way, other than just done and over, integrate them, make them relevant for example class hall, include them in the latest expansion, have some progress in some way, like add a new room such as a weapon showroom, and next xpac something else, grow them as the game grows.

They waste so much content by dumping it every expac and yeah, that's disappointing in that if all brought it all together in some cohesive way to make it all meaningful every xpac, peeps be like ffxxi what? Oh that Korean pos grinder yawn, i have a home, where combat has meaning. Then yeah wholly f ADD HOUSING ffs blizz, you need to make the game feel more like a home than a two year ??, then ?? the next two years, and a ?? the next two years after that.

BRING IT ALL TOGETHER!!! WOW JUST F'ing WOW i love the sounds of that wow so much better, and i'm not even a developer ffs. Hopefully ffxiv is the wake up call they have needed for the last 17 years.

The thing is, if they do that or not, i'll still play wow over ffxiv, ffxiv is clunky, graphics are crap, combat be like "ok i'm going to go make dinner while i wait for the cooldown", overall its just not that great, but i totally get the initial fascination with it. Problem is we have to ride out another 3 months before the fallout takes hold, until then we have to endure the omg ffxiv is the last game i'm ever going to play delusion.
    Last edited by xpsync; 2021-07-23 at 02:48 PM.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

This only worked in FF XIV because it was brand new, terrible and dead.

Not sure you can get away with that 9 expansions in.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    FFXIV is not that great, lets start with that hard fact.
    Your opinion on a game, whether it is good or bad, is not a fact, never mind a hard fact.

oh look!! another wow2 thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviditas View Post
    Does anyone else though think this is a perfect opportunity for us to just flat out lose?
    yes. just read the forum and you'll find a few threads where people suggest the exact same thing before talking about wow2...+ the other threads like "I suspect big changes are coming next" .... some people want it so bad they almost convinced themselves it's gonna happen...

Titan was wow2 and we knew about it years before it was turned into overwatch. IMO a new MMO doesn't make sense to them. and honestly, in 2021 I don't know if I want blizzard to write a new story from scratch or wow2. who the hell knows what kind of fuckery it will be....

And this is why MMO-C posters are not in charge of developing this game.

That idea of yours would kill it where WoD failed.

the best way to do a WoW2 would be to transfer everything we already have over to the new system and start from level one as well in a completely revamped world with an engine that actually had way better lighting systems and better latency control

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    This only worked in FF XIV because it was brand new, terrible and dead.

Not sure you can get away with that 9 expansions in.
    Also this ^

As a loyal customer voting with my wallet but always intending on returning, "A realm reborn" for WoW would be my forever out. It'd also go down as the worst business decision in the history of gaming.

What FFXIV did was simply redo their game from scratch and made it fit into their lore. WoW is not in the state of being redone until they decide to implement a higher fidelity engine and that doesn't really need lore explanation. WoW's core gameplay is still top-notch IMO, it's the dumb decisions made in implementing ridiculous systems or the lack of content development that is currently hurting the game.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this talk about WoW and FFXIV had me thinking of an interesting concept and figured I'd bump my post count to share it.

Does anyone else though think this is a perfect opportunity for us to just flat out lose? The Jailer invited us to watch the end of reality. How great would it be if we just finally bit the dust against the BBEG?

We go into that fight, first guild to clear it on mythic has their characters deleted but immortalized in game as "the heroes that tried" (I'm kidding about this). Something along these lines though where we lose the fight, reality gets destroyed, but "insert Thrall/Jaina/Arthas here" gives their lives and transports us to a new world to start WoW, a World Reborn, where Blizzard just tries to get us into a brand new story and set us up with something along of the lines of WoW 2. Just give us a fresh start and figure things out from there?

Obviously, there would be some challenges, and as much as I love WoW, the story is getting to be a bit much. I'd like to just try and wipe the slate clean and pick it up with a fresh start.
    There too many factors stand in the way of us actually losing and even if we lose Zovaal would lose to the other cosmic powers, hell even the dreadlords probably got a contingency plan for killing his ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be down for it, but you would NEED to replace the creative director as well as the entire writing staff
    in order for this to work.

So here's the catch22

Most players who are still playing or interested in coming back are doing so because they already invested something in the game. There's an implied commitment to the product because you have a character that you've already invested quite a bit on, it's easier to just resub. If they start fresh, people will have more of a reason to 'break free' from any connection to WoW.

If we have a WoW2 situation that is a reboot, then Blizzard has to work from square 1. If people have zero attachment to this new system then they're not gonna be hooked by the bait that WoW has been offering for years. We all give WoW a pass because we recognize it's old or antequated, and we just put up with it. If we're talking about a new engine, new game, then there's no excuse for anything, and Blizzard will have a much harder uphill battle to fight in making a better new MMO than what they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by SunspotAnims View Post
    Rebooting Azeroth is just throwing away decades of history.

Yeah. And without a whole new team of writers and designers, it won't be a real reboot. It will be the same old shit we learned to hate.

"Lets shutdown a game so we can remake it while spending multiple years of development time and infrastructure to create it which would create a content drought -- and then the remake not even be well received enough to generate increased playerbase".

It wouldnt work. FF14 worked because it was dead on launch.

All this talk about WoW and FFXIV had me thinking of an interesting concept and figured I'd bump my post count to share it.

Does anyone else though think this is a perfect opportunity for us to just flat out lose? The Jailer invited us to watch the end of reality. How great would it be if we just finally bit the dust against the BBEG?

We go into that fight, first guild to clear it on mythic has their characters deleted but immortalized in game as "the heroes that tried" (I'm kidding about this). Something along these lines though where we lose the fight, reality gets destroyed, but "insert Thrall/Jaina/Arthas here" gives their lives and transports us to a new world to start WoW, a World Reborn, where Blizzard just tries to get us into a brand new story and set us up with something along of the lines of WoW 2. Just give us a fresh start and figure things out from there?

Obviously, there would be some challenges, and as much as I love WoW, the story is getting to be a bit much. I'd like to just try and wipe the slate clean and pick it up with a fresh start.
    In theory every idea is beautiful, smart and creative, like as if somebody listens to you and you are hoping ---

Meanwhile at Blizz...

Never will happen. They know it makes whales easier to swim to other seas if all their past treasures "investments" are undone.

Ya the difference is that final fantasy had no choice.
    WoW is still a very good game. The only issue is it keeps listening to the wrong people and failing to please them anyway.
    Remaking the whole game because some one suggested it would likely be another one of those mistakes but if they ever did it, I would be interested in seeing what the results were at least.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV