Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you think Arthas also have split soul?

Since it seems that's the direction we're going, that Frostmourne victims may have split souls.
    We have the quote
    "Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
    Which for me not fully justifies this split soul, but at least it's there in some way that it can scar the soul.
    So, as the first "victim" of the sword, I'd image it also true for Arthas. What do you think?

It's already long established that Frostmourne took Arthas' soul the moment he touched it, and that the blade took away his positive traits and capacity for empathy and regret.

In his rush to excuse the beloved waifu, Danuser just excused Arthas. Don't expect to see that because it would require consistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    It's already long established that Frostmourne took Arthas' soul the moment he touched it, and that the blade took away his positive traits and capacity for empathy and regret.
    Arthas wasnt really that good to begin with

Burning his own ships and killing the very mercenaries that helped him aswell as leaving muradin for dead
    An'u belore delen'na

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post

Burning his own ships and killing the very mercenaries that helped him aswell as leaving muradin for dead
    Jesus christ people, it's not as black and white, you are ignoring the trauma that leads him to take that decisions, you are talking about an Arthas that went to hell and back, abandoned by his lover and mentor, forcing to make atrocities for the greater good, you are literally ignoring his journey to darkness and simplify things for the sake of nothing

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post

Prior to the plague and the trauma that came with it he was a pretty straight up and down good boy.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by sador View Post
    Since it seems that's the direction we're going, that Frostmourne victims may have split souls.
    We have the quote
    "Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
    Which for me not fully justifies this split soul, but at least it's there in some way that it can scar the soul.
    So, as the first "victim" of the sword, I'd image it also true for Arthas. What do you think?
    Pff with all the new shadowlands lore. Split sylvannas soul, Lich Anduin, dreadlords AND liches both working for the jailor. Yeah, can be he was just a possesed person like Anduin. Or part of his soul was removed that made him more evil ( what i think they are trying to push with sylvannas).

I think it all depends on what they want to do with his characther. I could see a easy retcon comming. That arthas for the most part was not in control but played and later controlled by zovaal.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    In his rush to excuse the beloved waifu, Danuser just excused Arthas. Don't expect to see that because it would require consistency.
    What? I agree its a weak thing they are doing. But i think they are doing it for the scream queen. Not for arthas. How the hell did you get there?
    While arthas was manipulated by both liches and dreadlords. And maybe controlled by zovaal. Does not mean he is a good guy/retconnen all of the sudden.

While i agree with his stratholm tactic. Many ingame/players do not. And he will still be evil.

Think they are more doing it to save sylvannas and say: she was all controlled by zovaal since she was killed by the LK. Or to save Anduin. Think arthas has nothing to do with it.

Arthas was definitely possessed/manipulated/mind controlled.

Yes, you can meet him and do flashback quest for the 'good' part of Arthas way back in Wrath. This stupid soul split plotline is transparently based on this, down to the same writer (Golden) having written both the first good/bad Arthas soul separation in her book and now being a part of the team doing this story. Back then though the game recognized that it didn't absolve Arthas, especially as in the book he personally stabbed that part of himself so he could be sole Lich King.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Arthas will come up in 9.3 and stomp Jailer and save the day/get redemption.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Back then though the game recognized that it didn't absolve Arthas, especially as in the book he personally stabbed that part of himself so he could be sole Lich King.
    I mean, I think they aren't going to overwrite that Lich King Arthas had the mental willpower to have his own plans (kill heroes to fight the Legion). Zovaal calls him a failure just like Ner'zhul who had his own plans... which is probably why he dumpstered Sylvanas for a straight up Domination-controlled puppet.

5+ Year Old Account
    Of course. That's no doubt. There is no clue though where is he now. He was threw to the maw probably like Nathanos as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    Watch as those "good" traits gets reused in some way.

I.E "A survived in B, now retrieve C to set it free"
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    I mean, I think they aren't going to overwrite that Lich King Arthas had the mental willpower to have his own plans (kill heroes to fight the Legion). Zovaal calls him a failure just like Ner'zhul who had his own plans... which is probably why he dumpstered Sylvanas for a straight up Domination-controlled puppet.
    I actually have no issue with how the Lich Kings as a whole are post-Jailer introduction. The story goes at great lengths to state that all of them had autonomy in what they did. They all defied him and did their own thing, for good or ill. That's why they were failures to him. And yeah, per the end cinematic he doesn't really care about having willing goons, with his ideal end state being all of existence being extensions of him the way Anduin is just a physical conduit for him.

The point I'm getting at is that the conclusion of the Matthias Lehner story is that Arthas maintains responsibility and must be stopped unlike the near certain outcome of the Sylvanas story.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    Jesus christ people, it's not as black and white, you are ignoring the trauma that leads him to take that decisions, you are talking about an Arthas that went to hell and back, abandoned by his lover and mentor, forcing to make atrocities for the greater good, you are literally ignoring his journey to darkness and simplify things for the sake of nothing
    This right here. While generic story telling now, I loved playing warcraft 3 as a kid and still seeing the struggle Arthas went through. It made me like him more as a character / as any character with actual reasoning for being what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    Indeed. It's called character development. Characters have ideas, make decisions, have to deal with the consequences, gain insights for the better or worse. Something that's now replaced by little stones you can blow into a character and have it taken care of.
    Last edited by Ivarr; 2021-07-23 at 07:00 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Prior to the plague and the trauma that came with it he was a pretty straight up and down good boy.
    Debatable. He was definitely not very tolerant where Orcs are concerned. After all, he did say: "Then let's get in there and destroy the beasts!"

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Debatable. He was definitely not very tolerant where Orcs are concerned. After all, he did say: "Then let's get in there and destroy the beasts!"
    Said orcs were marauding across the lands raiding and killing people after trying to take over the world, Id say wanting to destroy them puts him still firmly into the good boy camp.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

It was said by Malganis that Arthas's soul was the first soul frostmourne claimed.
    I don't know how can anyone who played war3 could think that post frostmourne Arthas was relatively close to pre frostmourne Arthas.

His last sane words before taking it were that he would sacrifice himself to save his people.
    That was Arthas. The total opposite of war3 Uther who sacrificed every one to save himself.

He also said a few minutes later that he could only ear frostmourne voice. There is nothing to debate here.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2021-07-23 at 07:19 PM.