Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    That sounds like Blizzard is starting to fracture from the inside now.
    Probably a little early for that. Everyone is trying to converge on a vanilla position that will mollify the most people. Signals and dog whistles are being sent by both sides of this through social media.

The one thing Kotick gets completely wrong is sending out a bunch of D.C. Republicans to cover for things like this. They haven't a clue as to how to handle or even understand A/B's customer base which is inherently suspicious and will never forget (or forgive) much of anything. So they are taking the standard approach to this (deny everything and hint at admitting a tiny bit) which is the last thing anyone with any interest in the gaming community—developers, management, customers—is likely to buy into. It won't go away. For some, it will never go away and the only way to really deal with it is to respect the customers and be upfront about it. That's not what they're doing and their customers will rightly punish them for it.

Personally I don't have much of a beef against the J. Allen Brack of a few years ago (before he was elevated into Morhaime's place). He generally pissed players off by saying what he thought and you could take it or leave it. I can respect that even if I disagreed with him. This? Eh.....it's a lot dishonest.

Being dispassionate about it: Kotick would do himself a huge favor by advising Townsend to better understand the ground she's treading on. He would also do himself a favor by telling Brack to be tough about this internally, clean some house and take care of their customers. Brack himself is a problem but there's no one more public facing at Blizzard than him and able to get through to the people that actually care about their games.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-07-23 at 08:23 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-b...-or-meritless/

Good piece on how much of a clusterfuck the response from the company is. You've got the "I'm deeply concerned/this is disturbing" camp, and you've got the, "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG EXCEPT THE UNELECTED BEAUROCRATS IN SACREMENTO!" camp. The latter being the official company line in their response to the lawsuit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Personally I don't have much of a beef against the J. Allen Brack of a few years ago
    Dunno why, he's always been as much of a bro as Afrasiabi.

Gloria Steinem's #1 fan, y'all. If any of you thought this was funny at the time, congratulations on being complicit too.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-23 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Dunno why, he's always been as much of a bro as Afrasiabi.

Gloria Steinem's #1 fan, y'all. If any of you thought this was funny at the time, congratulations on being complicit too.
    The timestamp for the...weird reply...is 4:25

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    The timestamp for the...weird reply...is 4:25
    Weird is certainly an interesting word for it. I'd pick "disgusting" or "cringe".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Weird is certainly an interesting word for it. I'd pick "disgusting" or "cringe".
    I didnt watch myself...just saw article...i think "cows" were mentioned and everything :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Color me shocked that stuff reshared on twitter has made its way here.

What's next, Elegiac? Describing the person's question and underlying logic as stupid is tantamount to promoting an oppressive environment?

Cringe is still making the age old fuss over unrealistic character physiques in 2021, especially painting it as a one sided issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    I didnt watch myself...just saw article...i think "cows" were mentioned and everything :S
    A transcript, then:

“I love the fact that you have a lot of very strong female characters. However, I was wondering if we could have some that don’t look like they just stepped out of a Victoria’s Secret catalog,” she says to roaring audience applause.

“Which catalog would you like them to step out of?” responds Afrasiabi. Brack laughs and nods. “I feel you, and we want to vary our female characters absolutely, so yeah we’ll pick different catalogs,” Afrasiabi says afterwards.

He smirks. The fan looks mortified. But the exchange continues:

Brack: Hey Alex, what catalog is that Tauren female coming out of?

Afrasiabi: Not one you’d read.

Brack: Sexy sexy cow business.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    What's next, Elegiac? Describing the person's question and underlying logic as stupid is tantamount to promoting an oppressive environment?
    Yep. Y'all are part of the problem because you're very deeply immersed in the culture that Blizzard has promoted in its workplace and in its games. This is why MMO-C is such a shitshow when it comes to social issues, lol.

Even if there is some debate to be had about it, there's no denying the answer was massively condescending an example of the frat boy culture that Brack has eagerly participated in despite present claims he's spent his entire career fighting against it.

Though it's fairly telling you take more of an issue with people criticising Blizzard than Blizzard's attitude towards its employees.

Cringe is still making the age old fuss over unrealistic character physiques in 2021, especially painting it as a one sided issue.
    Cringe is thinking that equating the stereotypical largely "big strong buff" dude with the stereotypical largely "skinny big boobed lady" as if they're sending remotely the same message or have the same implications for either sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Cringe is thinking that equating the stereotypical largely "big strong buff" dude with the stereotypical largely "skinny big boobed lady" as if they're sending remotely the same message or have the same implications for either sex.
    Let's be clear here: the reason people are being defensive about this is 100% because they've engaged in exactly the sort of behavior which is now being criticised and they're worried they'll be on the block next if a precedent is set.

That's why they constantly vacillate between "It didn't happen" and "Well it might have happened but it was just a joke".

10+ Year Old Account
    A transcript, then:

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Y'all are part of the problem because you're very deeply immersed in the culture that Blizzard has promoted in its workplace and in its games. This is why MMO-C is such a shitshow when it comes to social issues, lol.

Even if there is some debate to be had about it, there's no denying the answer was massively condescending an example of the frat boy culture that Brack has eagerly participated in despite present claims he's spent his entire career fighting against it.

Though it's fairly telling you take more of an issue with people criticising Blizzard than Blizzard's attitude towards its employees.
    "You don't agree with my proposition. You're part of the problem."

It's also spectacularly ironic that you're trying to admonish people for toxicity, when, in this very forum, you pass yourself as riding an ethical high horse while condescendingly demonizing those who disagree with you. You're not fooling anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    "You don't agree with my proposition."
    You don't agree with my proposition that publicly mocking someone who is a fan of your games for asking for a more diverse representation of body types is massively cringe, huh?

Sounds like a you problem. The problem being you still find this sort of thing funny when we have a two year investigation demonstrating exactly what the end result of your attitudes is.

It's also spectacularly ironic that you're trying to admonish people for toxicity, when, in this very forum, you pass yourself as riding an ethical high horse while condescendingly demonizing those who disagree with you. You're not fooling anyone.
    Noticing a whole lot of you trying to make this about other people rather than focus on Blizzard's actions and policies. I'll take that as an admission you don't find them defensible. Lol.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-23 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    See?

Media products, particularly video games, are filled with unrealistic depictions. One group of people doesn't choose to exacerbate this to a larger social issue that undermines them, another does. Or, more accurately, specific members of a given group choose to take issue with something. Other people with some level of "empathy" jump on the bandwagon, to circulate the now tiresome "their claims are representative of the whole group they're part of".

10+ Year Old Account
    See?

Media products, particularly video games, are filled with unrealistic depictions. One group of people doesn't choose to exacerbate this to a larger social issue that undermines them, another does. Or, more accurately, specific members of a given group choose to take issue with something. Other people with some level of "empathy" jump on the bandwagon, to circulate the now tiresome "their claims are representative of the whole group they're part of".
    What has this to do with Blizzard promoting a hostile and sexist work environment and Brack being a massive hypocrite when he claims he's been an opponent of bro culture his entire career, exactly?"

Because "women don't actually mind being sexualised it's just people getting outraged on their behalf" is both a fucking gross argument to make and entirely irrelevant.

This reminds me of the dude that almost killed himself over the harassment at blizzard.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqp7gi

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't agree with my proposition that publicly mocking someone who is a fan of your games for asking for a more diverse representation of body types is massively cringe, huh?

Sounds like a you problem. The problem being you still find this sort of thing funny when we have a two year investigation demonstrating exactly what the end result of your attitudes is.

Noticing a whole lot of you trying to make this about other people rather than focus on Blizzard's actions and policies. I'll take that as an admission you don't find them defensible. Lol.
    Fantastic.

I paint him as promoting a toxic environment. Proceeds to intentionally misinterpret and define my positions for me to accommodate his own little bubble where criticism = enemies.

Classic Elegiac.

Let's be clear here: the reason people are being defensive about this is 100% because they've engaged in exactly the sort of behavior which is now being criticised and they're worried they'll be on the block next if a precedent is set.

That's why they constantly vacillate between "It didn't happen" and "Well it might have happened but it was just a joke".
    Of course, It's no surprise it's always the same disgusting people when this stuff pops up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic.

I paint him as promoting a toxic environment.
    Lemme know when you start actually doing that.

Because "actually, the question was kind of stupid" isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Of course, It's no surprise it's always the same disgusting people when this stuff pops up.
    Yep.

It's like they forgot we've seen every one of their talking points before and they were equally as bullshit then. See: Ubisoft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lemme know when you start actually doing that.

Because "actually, the question was kind of stupid" isn't it.

Yep.

It's like they forgot we've seen every one of their talking points before and they were equally as bullshit then. See: Ubisoft.
    Your inability to read isn't my responsibility.

Take a break from your logical fallacies manual and come back later.

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip-
    Again, fairly telling that your specific reason for entering this thread isn't to discuss the problem but to bitch about other people who are.