Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Varian saving Anduin seems more appropriate to SL imo.
    then you'd have to explain how varians soul got into the shadowlands, which is only possible by cheapening his death. (though i guess guldan disenchanting him and using fel to burn up his soul is technically only fancanon.)

arthas is also appropiate due to the similarities between the characters, and there is plenty of speculation of arthas soul being in shalamourne.

but yeah sylvanas redemption arc is more likely.

Seems pretty clear that Arthas is going to save him.

Sylvanas will do something good, but thematically it makes more sense for Arthas to save Anduin from being Lich King 3.

I am going to say Arthas will save Anduin and the broken hat or Frostmourne has got something to do with it. Something like counter-domination magic.

Quote Originally Posted by catalystical View Post
    I am going to say Arthas will save Anduin and the broken hat or Frostmourne has got something to do with it. Something like counter-domination magic.
    Arthas may be in the soul gem used to forge Shalamourne, but I don't know WHY Zovaal would do that unless it has something to do with Arthas being skilled in the Light (so combined with Anduin would be double powerful).

It says Bolvar defied him, and that he failed the Jailer like those before him. Failure doesn't, necessarily, imply defiance and we don't know at which point did Bolvar defy him. Before or after the Helm broke.

arthas will save anduin. we have yet to see arthas. his redemption will be saving anduin.

It would've gotten to the Shadowlands either way. I think it was speculated that it wouldn't be in The Maw due to when in Legion he died, but Varian could always venture out from whatever realm he was in to save his son. I don't think that's a sufficient barrier to this situation being possible.
    many many many souls don't go to the shadowlands.

even if a soul isn't actively being stolen by demons/odyn/warlocks/the void/etc, kyrians are very respectful to souls that "aren't ready" even though "not ready" usually means force being used to prevent the soul from moving on.

the fuel for fel is also literally souls (just like souls are fuel for anima), so it's really not far fetched that varians soul is reduced to the fel equivalent of stygia.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-07-24 at 03:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sighy View Post
    The Light, The Power of Friendship or something is highly probable, altho i'd be kinda amused if the solution was chloroform and removing the armor since it can have brief lapses of not controlling him.
    Us: Hey Andi smell this quickly!
    Anduin:

Last edited by Dellis0991; 2021-07-24 at 03:54 PM.

I don't think he needs saving as in his personal soul - he's being controlled and manipulated. He needs physical rescuing. We'll probably do that. But it would be neat if the Light Protects Its Own.
    Wolfie Pandaren Shaman - Pet Collection - Mount Collection
    Pinfire Dwarf Hunter - SaintJoan Draenei Paladin - Sadiefalk Human Rogue - Hamartanein Dwarf Warlock
    Lotusdream Pandaren Monk - Aponyia Tauren Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Toast515 View Post
    Arthas was acting of his own free will, Anduin isn't.
    Guess you missed the part where Frostmourne stole his soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie of Medivh View Post
    I don't think he needs saving as in his personal soul - he's being controlled and manipulated. He needs physical rescuing. We'll probably do that. But it would be neat if the Light Protects Its Own.
    I feel bad for him because he's going to be traumatized if we get a chance to save him. He definitely won't be the same afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I feel bad for him because he's going to be traumatized if we get a chance to save him. He definitely won't be the same afterwards.
    If he's less of a limp-wristed idealist after this, i call it a win, TBH...

5+ Year Old Account
    Varian saving Anduin seems more appropriate to SL imo.
    Varian got disenchanted by Guldy boi, so presumably his soul went *poof*, meaning that he can't possibly be in the SL. Unless they retcon that part, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    If he's less of a limp-wristed idealist after this, i call it a win, TBH...
    Why would he have to? After all, he is always ultimately right.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Sylvanas will save him, and then the Light will reforge Sylvanas into an Elune-tier Goddess.

Then, Lightforged High Elf Sylvanas will become the faction leader of the Alliance.

Even with Varian's soul being kept on Azeroth somewhere, he could make a journey to the Shadowlands to save his son. I'm not seeing the problem here, unless his soul was outright destroyed by Gul'dan but that hasn't been confirmed anyway so they could just decide his soul wasn't destroyed if they wanted to.
    yes.... that's what i said in the original post you quoted.

5+ Year Old Account
    Never confirmed, it was only a fan theory I thought..?
    It is in lore that the Legion fed on souls, which were thus completely obliterated. No afterlife of any sort for them, which contributed to make the Legion the ultimate big bads.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Tirion had a weapon equally powerful to Frostmourne, I don't think it was that bullshit that he got a lucky hit in.

They should've had him emoting during the fight that he's slowly getting out of the ice, so the fight is basically keeping Arthas busy while Tirion frees himself.
    Not sure if equal to Frostmourne, but it was a weaponise Naaru core so still pretty damned strong. ALtho it wouldn't be surprising if there was some sort of "power of will" moment, where he cuts the jailer with his mournblade or smth.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Why would he have to? After all, he is always ultimately right.
    That's because the whole story is written around Anduin's horrible naivete, in any realistic scenario, reacting like Anduin did to an enemy that was literally out to destroy the Alliance (And not for the first time, either) would have resulted in the Alliance being destroyed by Anduin's pacifistic inaction, or Anduin being deposed by people interested in fighting back before it's too late.

Why does the Alliance seem to have plot armour in faction wars? Because otherwise we'd be dead with Anduin leading us.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Tirion had a weapon equally powerful to Frostmourne, I don't think it was that bullshit that he got a lucky hit in.

They should've had him emoting during the fight that he's slowly getting out of the ice, so the fight is basically keeping Arthas busy while Tirion frees himself.
    That's the point. It's a Deus/Lux ex Machina because the Light just randomly resolves the situation by setting Tirion free, with no indication why it suddenly did that.

It wasn't any of the present characters, nor anything that was in any way hinted at before. Just a higher power randomly swooping in, fixing the issue, then buggering off. That's what a Deus ex Machina is.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    That's because the whole story is written around Anduin.
    And that's the whole point. Many people complain about Sylv (myself included), and rightfully so, but the biggest Mary Sue in this game is called Anduin Wrynn. Unlike Sylv, who will hopefully vanish from the story after SL, we'll be stuck with the Golden Boi and the horrible narrative he breeds for many years to come.