Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Name one culture without segregation. I can't. Pretty dammed sure you can't either.
    It's not about that, it's about why most of the English speaking countries have dealt with racial segregation and racism is still a big issue there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Politically marginalizing and culturally erasing a native population is not any better than outright exterminating them.

Sit down.

No, it didn't. Stop lying.
    You definitely haven't got a clue about this topic. Besides, the Encomienda model didn't last for long and by the 16th century was almost over. You don't know how the Spanish Empired was ruled nor how its administration evolved, do you?

By the way, you talked about outrighting an entire population. Who did that? Please, tell me. Because if you're talking about the Spanish Empire, you're the most ignorant person I've ever seen in a long, long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post
    You definitely haven't got a clue about this topic. Besides, the Encomienda model didn't last for long and by the 16th century was almost over.
    Those goalposts must be awfully heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Those goalposts must be awfully heavy.
    ???? Prove me wrong, please.

Anyway, it was funny to see you saying: it is not a competition.

But then saying (showing a lack of knowledge): Spaniards treated native Americans so much worse!

10+ Year Old Account
    ???? Prove me wrong, please.
    I don't really feel the need to do so considering you've gone from "casta and ecomienda were Fine, Actually" to "well maybe they were bad but they didn't last forever so they don't really count".

Proof is for people that argue in good faith; you aren't.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I don't really feel the need to do so considering you've gone from "casta and ecomienda were Fine, Actually" to "well maybe they were bad but they didn't last forever so they don't really count".

Proof is for people that argue in good faith; you aren't.
    It's funny to read you saying that when you started this conversation saying "this is not a competition". But then saying (showing a lack of knowledge): "Spaniards treated native Americans so much worse!".

Anyway, Spaniards improved their treatment to the native Americans, British settlers were from bad to worse. At least Spaniards realised they were doing something wrong.

I never said Encomienda was a right thing to do, I just explained what was it for, make no mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny to read you saying that when you started this conversation saying "this is not a competition". But then saying (showing a lack of knowledge): "Spaniards treated native Americans so much worse!"
    It's almost as if the British Empire's presence in the New World was significantly more limited than that of Spain and that their relative lack of bullshit there is not in any way relevant to their surfeit of bullshit in other parts of the world.

Zzzzz. Also implying the Reconquista itself wasn't a manifest act of colonialism, lol?

It's almost as if the British Empire's presence in the New World was significantly more limited than that of Spain and that their relative lack of bullshit there is not in any way relevant to their surfeit of bullshit in other parts of the world.

Zzzzz.
    But didn't you say this wasn't a competition? There weren't scales according to your point of view. What happened? There were not scales but Spaniards did it worse? How do you explain that?

I've just proved you don't know what you're talking about since you reduce to a word (Encomienda) how the Spaniards treated native Americans, which shows a huge lack of knowledge in that matter. I'm sure you haven't read a book about that topic in your whole life.

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip-
    That's nice dear, but all you're really doing is reinforcing the point that you're more interested in taking potshots against a particular polity than actually addressing the systemic racism which is fundamental to western culture in general.

That's nice dear, but all you're really doing is reinforcing the point that you're more interested in taking potshots against a particular polity than actually addressing the systemic racism which is fundamental to western culture in general.
    Bla, bla, bla.

You came here telling us that racism hasn't got scales, but then you said Spaniards did it worse. You're not worth my time anymore. Go and read a book about Spanish history.

Oh, I've just seen you talked about the Reconquista calling it "colonisation". HAHAHAHAHAHA This one was funny, actually. Did you know that the muslims conquered the Visigothic Kingdom? Did you know that there were Christians in Al-Andalus when the Christians started to conquer the land from the north? Colonisation? Hahahaha Pipe down and read a Spanish history book, you ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    You came here telling us that racism hasn't got scales, but then you said Spaniards did it worse
    In a specific geographic region where the British were largely not present, as I said previously. Generally speaking, they all sucked.

Oh, I've just seen you talked about the Reconquista calling it "colonisation". HAHAHAHAHAHA This one was funny, actually. Did you know that the muslims conquered the Visigothic Kingdom? Did you know that there were Christians in Al-Andalus when the Christians started to conquer the land from the north?
    The way you don't see that this is an admission that the initial conquest of Al-Andalus was not colonialism as we understand it because people were permitted to retain their prior cultures and faiths in a way that was not exercised during the Reconquista where populations were either forced to assimilate or risk being cleansed and having Catholics settled on their land.

Lol. Y'all colonised the Iberian peninsula the same way the British colonised Ireland. No one's hands are clean, bruh.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-25 at 03:29 AM.

In a specific geographic region where the British were largely not present, as I said previously. Generally speaking, they all sucked.

The way you don't see that this is an admission that the initial conquest of Al-Andalus was not colonialism as we understand it because people were permitted to retain their prior cultures and faiths in a way that was not exercised during the Reconquista where populations were either forced to assimilate or risk being cleansed and having Catholics settled on their land.

Lol. Y'all colonised the Iberian peninsula the same way the British colonised Ireland. No one's hands are clean, bruh.
    Hahahahaha You keep proving yourself an ignorant.

That "muslim tolerance" towards Christians and Jews in Al-Andalus is a big lie. Use the google translator or learn Spanish and educate yourself: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc...ticia_amp.html

How did Iberian Christians colonise a land that was theirs before the muslims came? Oh my god, you really haven't got a clue.

Regarding your comparison between the Reconquista and the colonisation of Ireland, it's another proof of how ignorant you are. Irish people never conquered Ireland to the English and then the English conquered it back. The Irish were already there when the English started to COLONISE Éire; Ireland was their ancestral land. Was the Iberian Peninsula the ancestral land of the Arabs who conquered it? Obviously not. The fact that you compare those history events is so silly that I can't do anything but laugh.

Take care.
    Last edited by Nork; 2021-07-25 at 03:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That "muslim tolerance" towards Christians and Jews in Al-Andalus is a big lie.
    Then how were there a large number Christians in Al-Andalus and a suspicious lack of Jews and Muslims in Andalusia.

How did Iberian Christians colonise a land that was theirs before the muslims came?
    The same way Israel is currently colonizing Palestine. /yawn It's a function of present cultural erasure and oppression, regardless of however many centuries ago your Uncle Rodrigo might have had a claim to a patch of land no one in his family has actually interacted with in generations.

Revanchism is not a justification for ethnic cleansing, bruh, nor does it make it not colonialism.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-25 at 03:45 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    As the previous closing message stated: You can discuss history within the scope of the rules. This thread topic is forbidden and is now closed.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."