View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No, there aren't. There are plenty of countries that won't let you bring undocumented foodstuffs from overseas (yes, even sandwiches. See: Australia) and have done so for years - this sort of policy is not novel and is entirely within the EU's right to exercise against a third party.

You want the privileges of the common market without helping contribute to its upkeep and it's very readily apparent, end of story.
    It's not the same though is it. The Birds and the Bees can't easily get to Australia from the UK, whereas from the UK to Ireland there must be millions of undocumented animals and bugs cross the border and back every day.

Sure Australia may be justified in preventing foodstuffs from flying in with passengers on a jumbo jet, but treating an M&S sandwich from the UK at the Irish border as though it is some kind of WMD is laughable.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    It's crazy innit, they live in one of the best multi-cultural countries in the world
    Ironic considering the Brexiters were complaining about how multi-cultural Britain was becoming as a result of being in the EU.

Yer, we are leaving the EU, a predominantly white market, in the hope of opening up more links with the rest of the world, asia, India, Africa, yer sooooo racist.
    The EU has more active links and trade agreements with the rest of the world than the UK, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    It's not the same though is it. The Birds and the Bees can't easily get to Australia from the UK, whereas from the UK to Ireland there must be millions of undocumented animals and bugs cross the border and back every day.
    Exactly, so why further add to that by letting you freely traffic in encephalopathy-tainted beef sandwiches?
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-25 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Ironic considering the Brexiters were complaining about how multi-cultural Britain was becoming as a result of being in the EU.

Exactly, so why further add to that by letting you freely traffic in encephalopathy-tainted beef sandwiches?
    Who was doing this?>

10+ Year Old Account
    Who was doing this?>
    I'm old enough to remember foot and mouth, bruh. Lol.

There's a reason British people of a certain age are banned from giving blood in a lot of countries.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'm old enough to remember foot and mouth, bruh. Lol.

There's a reason British people of a certain age are banned from giving blood in a lot of countries.
    what are you talking about Bruh, stop moving the goal posts, your all over the place?

10+ Year Old Account
    what are you talking about Bruh, stop moving the goal posts, your all over the place?
    There's no goalposts being moved, lol. The UK have already demonstrated they can't be necessarily trusted to capable of exercising sufficient quality control, the precedent being the handling of foot and mouth. The EU is entirely within its rights imposing checks given said precedent.

You wanted out, this is what being out looks like. Least you've got that fictional pile of cash you saved for the NHS to dry your eyes with, right?
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-25 at 01:14 PM.

Sure Australia may be justified in preventing foodstuffs from flying in with passengers on a jumbo jet, but treating an M&S sandwich from the UK at the Irish border as though it is some kind of WMD is laughable.
    If only there were some kind of regulatory alignment process that would allow for automatic certification of products as ok to enter the EU.

Oh wait, the UK government didn't want it. Go blame Boris.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    If only there were some kind of regulatory alignment process that would allow for automatic certification of products as ok to enter the EU.

Oh wait, the UK government didn't want it. Go blame Boris.
    "We support the right of sovereign entities to exercise control over their borders, just not when it happens in a way that inconveniences us."

There's no goalposts being moved, lol. The UK have already demonstrated they can't be necessarily trusted to capable of exercising sufficient quality control, the precedent being the handling of foot and mouth. The EU is entirely within its rights imposing checks given said precedent.

You wanted out, this is what being out looks like. Least you've got that fictional pile of cash you saved for the NHS to dry your eyes with, right?
    You are completely correct, I am thrilled to be out of the Eu, every day I see them, the way they act, the way they do things, i am glad we have escaped their clutches.

Heres to trading with the rest of the world. Hip hip Horray

10+ Year Old Account
    You are completely correct, I am thrilled to be out of the Eu, every day I see them, the way they act, the way they do things, i am glad we have escaped their clutches.
    Doing an awful lot of complaining for someone ostensibly thrilled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The cost of Brexit.
    While £4.8billion has been allocated by the government to the new Levelling Up Fund, some £12billion has been spent on the logistics of being out of the EU, plus an estimated £40billion in lost trade with Europe since the end of January and £130billion wasted on Brexit from 2016-2020, means up more than 38 times the amount being spent on Brexit than levelling up.

How much were we totally saving again?
    Hang on let me check the bus.

Well that picture aged like milk.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No no no, stop with your rubbish. Removing someone's lunch is petty and vindictive.

It's got fuck all to do with "contaminated food", you know it and I know it.
    I see you've never passed through a Mad Cow disease control zone. They'll confiscate all and any meat when you leave it unless you've got lots of paper-work stating it came from outside of it and was never exposed to anything inside it.
    This isn't vindictive. Just "same as everywhere". They don't want their food taken, have paper work for it, have eaten it already, or buy it after border crossing.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Where is that bus now, I need it to tell me more things about how super great everything will be!
    It's currently being used to advertise a financial start up.

Remember the Brexit Bus? During the fraught campaigning surrounding the UK’s referendum on its EU-membership, the Vote Leave campaign hired a bus, and plastered on it the words “We send the EU £350 million a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead.”

They didn’t realize it at the time, but this would come to symbolize the fact-free nature of the Leave campaign.

For starters, there was no £350 million; when you subtract the UK’s rebate, the real figure is much lower. And courtesy of higher costs following the post-Brexit drop in the pound, and the troubling matter of the “divorce bill,” it seems unlikely any more money is heading to the UK’s beleaguered health service.

And now, the Brexit Bus has found a new lease of life with UK challenger bank Monese behind the wheel. The company hired it to celebrate its expansion to mainland Europe, and is offering €350 million in fee-free money transfers between its UK and Eurozone accounts.

The side of the bus now reads “Send €350 million with zero fees. UK and EU banking for everyone.” On the rear and passenger-door side of the vehicle, it also says “#FreeMovement,” although this presumably refers to money, not people.

Doing an awful lot of complaining for someone ostensibly thrilled.
    well, i think its petty taking someone's lunch, you don't, let's leave it there.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, i think its petty taking someone's lunch, you don't, let's leave it there.
    *gestures*

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    I see you've never passed through a Mad Cow disease control zone. They'll confiscate all and any meat when you leave it unless you've got lots of paper-work stating it came from outside of it and was never exposed to anything inside it.
    This isn't vindictive. Just "same as everywhere". They don't want their food taken, have paper work for it, have eaten it already, or buy it after border crossing.
    Well said.

Not gonna change the fact your complaining about this is the equivalent of a bully crying to the teachers when one of the people they've been tormenting actually hits them back. Maybe don't spend 5+ years complaining about foreigners and calling the EU tyrants? Just a thought. Lol.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    *gestures*

Well said.

Not gonna change the fact your complaining about this is the equivalent of a bully crying to the teachers when one of the people they've been tormenting actually hits them back. Maybe don't spend 5+ years complaining about foreigners and calling the EU tyrants? Just a thought. Lol.
    I want to see these people crossing air-port security with half a liter bottle of coke and a sandwich. I'm curious how they think it'll go.
    - Lars

Heres to trading with the rest of the world. Hip hip Horray
    Let's say a farmer in the UK sells their apples to two food outlets. One is in the general access area of an airport, the other is in the protected area (after passport control and security).

If you bought an apple in the air-side shop, the USA will let it in. If you bought it from a supermarket before entering the protected area or forgot to take the receipt from the airside shop, the FDA will confiscate it at the border.

Two apples from the same farm, one is allowed in and the other isn't. How is this any different?

This kind of red-tape is typical when travelling and trading across national borders. Just because you've been trained by decades of EU membership that you can take pretty much anything across any border and nobody will even think of asking what it is and where it is from, doesn't mean that is the "standard" outside of the EU.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2021-07-25 at 01:52 PM.

Brexit benefit no 7, ty.

UK Wages are increasing significantly thanks to Brexit limiting the supply of uncontrolled unskilled labour from the EU. Even our dear NHS workers have been offered a very generous 3% wage rise this year, for which I'm sure they are very grateful.
    Let me just come back to this for a second, because there was something else about this "generous" deal that I'd forgotten.

The Tories have basically said that this 3% salary increase has to come from existing budgets. So they are basically saying "find a way of paying your staff extra, by cutting things".

That £350m a week that was going to be heading to the NHS really has vanished like burner shit in the glow of a mod.

And by the time that pay "rise" takes affect, it will almost certainly be below the governments fudged figure for inflation. So it will be an effective pay-cut. Brexit, the deal that keeps lying to you and fucking you over financially. Still, at least we have tens of millions to give to Nissan so we can pretend our manufacturing isn't fucked as well. For a while at least.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree with you if it was like a one-off, i do recall another act of malice taking place not too long ago.

It's sad to think this kind of pettiness is happening all the time, in many different forms.

At the end of the day, both sides really do need to be more pragmatic, its disturbing how they have both acted over the last few years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ritish-drivers
    So, in effect, the complaint here isn't actually about the EU having "impounded" any lorries, which appears to be a bullshit claim in itself, but that it just doesn't let lorry drivers take foodstuffs through customs on their person willy-nilly.

Welcome to being outside the EU, this is what that looks like, for reasons the article you yourself linked to outlined:

“From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to bring POAO (products of an animal origin) such as those containing meat or dairy (eg a ham and cheese sandwich) into the EU,” the Defra guidance for commercial drivers states.

The European commission says the ban is necessary because meat and dairy products can contain pathogens causing animal diseases such as foot-and-mouth or swine fever and “continue to present a real threat to animal health throughout the union”.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    I want to see these people crossing air-port security with half a liter bottle of coke and a sandwich. I'm curious how they think it'll go.
    What makes you think these people have ever ventured beyond Chomping Frenum or Cockmouth-on-Whine or whatever parochial little corner of the island they inhabit is called? Lol. Equality looks like oppression when you're privileged, I guess.