Page 36 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's not exactly a dead horse when the horse is very much alive and promoting a toxic environment at Activision-Blizzard, bruh.
    I fail to see how asking for gaming journalists to disclose their personal relationships has anything to do with what happened at blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I fail to see how asking for gaming journalists to disclose their personal relationships has anything to do with what happened at blizzard.
    Simple. It sent a message that sort of behavior was acceptable within the gaming community and discouraged women from speaking up about it lest they too be pilloried. To say nothing of helping to crystallize a core of highly reactionary politics among younger white men that we're now seeing the consequences of in the post-Trump era.

Blizzard encouraged that sort of culture, and it is now very apparent that's because it too was deeply immersed in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm saying that nobody ever took media reviews for games seriously, because everyone knew they were bought-and-paid-for. Major magazines that never gave anything under a 7/10, and even that only for the worst of the worst.

There wasn't a reason to support that, but the backlash that sprang up had nothing to do with that status quo. It had to do with wanting to slutshame a particular female developer who was seen as too "woke" by a certain subset of people. So they made up a baseless claim that she'd slept with reviewers to get good reviews. Which she hadn't.

Gamergate was entirely focused on that, rather than the big magazines that were selling "reviews" that were basically paid-for marketing.
    Isn't that the one that sent her followers after a forum for severely depressed men because they didn't like her game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Isn't that the one that sent her followers after a forum for severely depressed men because they didn't like her game?
    "Shit that didn't happen" for $1000, Alex.

It's telling that they think the complaint is too much skin showing and not the disparity in skin showing.
    Well, it didn't seem that the male employees cared so much about female skin showing since they played Call of Duty instead; which can be seen as more warrior-like and thus more male than sitting in wow's character creation/transmog menu trying to make a female character, or playing e.g., Hearthstone.

Additionally they seemed to have been more self-centered; the obvious bro-joke would be to create a half-naked character in game based on some female employee - but I couldn't find any such cases. Could be that it was too much work; the law-suit seems to indicate that some males were more hungover than working.

However, the disparity in skin showing in the game itself isn't absolute - but people view it differently; for male skin showing look no further than Illidan Stormrage in TBC-trailer.

And Illidan is not just showing any body - but a sort of ideal male body - with visible muscles in arms and torso. In movies that possibly influenced the employees that was sometimes over the top - especially over-muscled Schwarzenegger as e.g. Conan and Matrix; but recently that is toned down a bit as in The 300; but still more muscled and clearly more naked that in CoD.
    It could be that men fantasize they are that ideal - compared with the physique of Blizzard's male employees.

I'm not saying that the employees didn't misbehave, or even that they didn't try to introduce sexual themes in WoW (at least early on) - but in that case is was so badly executed that people forget it - including a sex-den with a harem and a literal sex-goddess; and thus it's not included in the complaint.

Sooo.... yeah, apparently work on World of Warcraft has ground to a halt as a result of the higher ups mismanaging this crisis.

Someone just sent me this. What a fucking dumpster fire of a response. IIRC ActiBlizzard and DFEH had mutually agreed that if things weren't resolved by July 21st, the lawsuit would be filed. WHAT IN THE WORLD is their excuse. Maybe their PR team was drunk and cube crawling.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And Illidan is not just showing any body - but a sort of ideal male body - with visible muscles in arms and torso.
    I am literally begging y'all to read your Laura Mulvey, please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Someone just sent me this. What a fucking dumpster fire of a response. IIRC ActiBlizzard and DFEH had mutually agreed that if things weren't resolved by July 21st, the lawsuit would be filed. WHAT IN THE WORLD is their excuse. Maybe their PR team was drunk and cube crawling.
    I mean did we expect any better from Bush' chief torture apologist? Lol.

She probably calls sexual harassment "enhanced team building".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What is the with the fucking obstinacy of pretending that men and women have been treated exactly the same throughout history and that objectification has had and continues to have the exact same effect on the trajectory of men's and women's lives. Jesus fuck it's beyond tedious.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

- - - Updated - - -

I mean did we expect any better from Bush' chief torture apologist? Lol.

She probably calls sexual harassment "enhanced team building".
    I lol'd.

/10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    What is the with the fucking obstinacy of pretending that men and women have been treated exactly the same throughout history and that objectification has had and continues to have the exact same effect on the trajectory of men's and women's live. Jesus fuck it's beyond tedious.
    I really do think it's just a function of people hearing terms like "male gaze" and "toxic masculinity" and immediately assuming that it's because the speaker hates men rather than the fact we live in, you know, a patriarchy - one that fucks over its male participants as much as its female ones.

I really do think it's just a function of people hearing terms like "male gaze" and "toxic masculinity" and immediately assuming that it's because the speaker hates men rather than the fact we live in, you know, a patriarchy - one that fucks over its male participants as much as its female ones.
    iLLiDaN dOeSn'T hAvE a ShIrT oN

Ok? He didn't have to wait til the 1970s to have a bank account in his own name, either.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Innuendo Studios on YT has some really good videos on GamerGate, and speculates (with thought out reasoning) about the "good guy" myth and how it causes all the bad things.
    They are "good guys", they like the same thing as "Guy V" who has been accused of something. So Guy V is also a good guy. Thus it isn't Guy V is bad. It's "Good guys are wrong". Etc
    (Anyone who likes gamergate and "support" it ought to watch his Angry Jack series).
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post

Signal received, virtue confirmed
    Doesn’t surprise me that someone like you is willing to support such a company. Oh well, people are who they are.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    In case it hasn't been posted yet, here is Metzens response to the situation. Seems a lot like previous responses, basically boiling down to pleading ignorance. Which is really starting to strain credulity, does/did any of the management know what was really going on? If not it does kind of explain Blizzard's last few years...

The main idea does not seem relevant in the WoW-context as games are primarily interactive and there's no director controlling what players look at.
    Clearly her male gaze theory can still indicate that men and women, who are both scantily clothed in WoW; are seen through a different lens.

However, since the employees didn't care for this, but instead played CoD - I view as a tangential discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Shit that didn't happen" for $1000, Alex.
    I don't think you understand how Jeopardy works

Is this it? Are we gonna see Blizzard die? I never thought it'd happen, too big to fail and all.

Who, of note, is even around still at Blizzard who's managing to escape the magnifying glass, is Tom Chilton still there working on some unannounced shit

Ion Hazzikostas is an asexual, damp creature of a man and I'm sure he's made plenty of women uncomfortable over the years but less because of advances and more because he sometimes forgets to make only the horizontal eyelids blink when he's around humans.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Is this it? Are we gonna see Blizzard die? I never thought it'd happen, too big to fail and all.
    100% certain Blizzard isn't going anywhere. They will lose some money and possibly some employees, but it's not like Blizzard is hurting for either. They will have a black eye for a while, but they'll just tape a lootbox over it, and they are good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?