Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do British people drink so much? (Asks The Times)

So I've recently read this article published in The Times (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...much-6ckwwb0vt) and I'd like to share some thoughts about it.

First of all, I'm a foreigner living in the UK and I've been living in so many cities all around England in the past few years. I've got British friends spread all over England and sometimes I hang out with them. Besides, I've been working with many Brits all around the country. I say this because I don't wanna sound like I've only had one experience with British people and I'm generalising, because that's not my intention. Of course, my experiences are not the whole picture, but it's kind of obvious that there's a cultural thing in all this; however, it's still my perception and not the absolute truth.

What I have seen in England all these years has been a little bit disturbing: I've seen people getting drunk even in the morning or the afternoon, wandering through the city yelling stuff or being aggressive. I've been many times in pubs and clubs in other European countries, and even though there were fights now and then, it wasn't a constant thing; however, in England every single time I went to a club, there were guys who ended up fighting. I see many British men who become quite aggressive when they get drunk, which is something I wasn't used to, because in all the other European countries were I went clubbing, drunk people were friendly and only a couple became aggressive. Another thing that I saw many times was drugs (cocaine, MDMA, speed...). I know Britain is not the only place were drugs are taken, but I've never seen so many people taking them and doing so so openly.

So I'd like to ask if other people (British or not) share my perspective, if they have seen what I've seen or they've got a different point of view. In case you agree with me, why do you think this happens? Is it due to a cultural thing? Is it because of how emotions are suppressed in British society, and alcohol and other drugs just act like a catalyst of all these frustrations? What's your point of view?

Pd: I can't change the title ("fo"). I apologise in advance
    Last edited by Nork; 2021-07-25 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Counter question: Do you get tired of starting all these threads that just end up getting shut down?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Counter question: Do you get tired of starting all these threads that just end up getting shut down?
    What's the problem with this thread?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You need a better subject for your threads. Making them all about negatives of the British doesn't seem to be doing anything for you.
    Anything to say about the topic?

Not really. This isn't something new. Binge drinking in the UK has been an issue for quite a while.
    Why don't you try to say your point of view without attacking me? I'm talking about a topic and my experience. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Why do you think the UK has got that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post
    What's the problem with this thread?
    It's very similar to your other 2 threads and since those threads are locked...

You need a better subject for your threads. Making them all about negatives of the British doesn't seem to be doing anything for you.
    Negatives of brits...americans...just being negative nancy it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It's very similar to your other 2 threads and since those threads are locked...
    I thoroughly disagree with the reasons that were exposed to close them. Anyway, have you got anything to say about the topic or you're going to attack me instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Negatives of brits...americans...just being negative nancy it seems.
    What's the problem with talking about a country's negative feature? You have posted in all my threads and your contribution has been 0.

Guess the Spanish aren't fans of the UK/US. /shrug
    I'm not even Spanish, but I find your behaviour so childish. Can you say something about the topic or you just came here to talk about me? So immature...

- - - Updated - - -

Guess the Spanish aren't fans of the UK/US. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

People enjoy drinking. They drink too much. Some get violent. Some fall asleep.

Welcome to drunk people.
    Oh, thanks for your point of view. It's quite deep.

Thats an interesting choice of avatar, if not.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a deep topic.
    If I had used the Tudor's rose would I have become English?

It's a deep topic because it brings up a country's issue and tries to reflect on what reasons are behind that. You told us your opinion, which I find quite simplistic, but I respect it. Now I think you haven't got anything else to say on this topic so I reckon it's better if you just leave. Thank you

We're not even in the top 20 alcohol consumption per capita.

History, weve been drinking hard since pre roman times (because it was safer than water). The pub was a place where people socially congregated, gossiped and arranged mutual help within their communities. And it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    History, weve been drinking hard since pre roman times (because it was safer than water). The pub was a place where people socially congregated, gossiped and arranged mutual help within their communities. And it still is.
    But this hasn't really got anything to do with the topic. Why British society has got a drinking issue, but other countries don't?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    We're not even in the top 20 alcohol consumption per capita.
    Do you need to be within the first 20 to have a drinking issue?

But this hasn't really got anything to do with the topic. Why British society has got a drinking issue, but other countries don't?
    Whats the issue? getting drunk is fun and the pub is one of the last bastions of community in the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol.

That's all I have to say about that.

What's with these threads about UK, on how they have this or that problem?
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-07-25 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Whats the issue? getting drunk is fun and the pub is one of the last bastions of community in the UK.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b68ca87f7ecaa2

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-drink-so-much

https://www.ukat.co.uk/alcohol/brita...ohol-industry/

And so on. But I guess there's not an issue...

Why are you fixated on the UK? Is it just because you live there? Is that why you claim it to be constantly drunk and racist without looking to the history of other nations for their racial and alcoholic problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Why are you fixated on the UK? Is it just because you live there? Is that why you claim it to be constantly drunk and racist without looking to the history of other nations for their racial and alcoholic problems?
    "Oh, yeah, you know what? There are other countries that are in the same situation or worse, so why do you wanna talk about British problems?"

Best argument I've ever seen in decades.

Have you never been to America? or Russia? Ireland?
    This thread is pointless and grossly underestimating the amount of alcoholics in the world and countries that suffer the same thing you mention.
    Trying to mask what seems to be some sort of British disdain by pretending it's an actual inquiry is laughable.

Go to any club in Miami on a sat night and you'll see the same thing.

Still pissed the lions made it to the finals are we?

"Oh, yeah, you know what? There are other countries that are in the same situation or worse, so why do you wanna talk about British problems?"

Best argument I've ever seen in decades.
    Why are you fixated on the UK? Is it just because you live there? Is that easier to understand?

5+ Year Old Account
    This is closed. Do not make threads with baiting topics and replies.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."