Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Fine.
    We'll call him "empress."

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    I honestly can't believe GW thinks they are big enough to have their own exclusive streaming program just for Warhammer. I really, really will not pay monthly fee for yet another streaming service. And yes, amount of content is under question.
    At the moment the Warhammer subscription is looking like a huge case of "your mileage may vary."

It looks like we'll be getting a couple of animated episodes a week plus a few hobby shows - lore, painting and battle reports - which look like the kind of thing you could previously watch on YouTube.

You also get subscriptions to the AoS and 40k apps, and an archive of old publications and White Dwarves. At release there will be all of 2020s White Dwarves and some recent campaign books with more promised for the future. There's also some sort of VIP access to GW events which is probably irrelevant to the majority of people.

On the surface it's a bit underwhelming. The amount of animated content will be minimal but it is nice to have a legit way of supporting the creators and the IP owner. The weekly shows might be good but it's the sort of thing we're used to seeing put out for free, whether they're worth it depends on if they up the production value. The 40k App is a mixed bag, it's nice to be able to flick through all the rules easily but the army builder is buggy and inconsistent. The archive shows great potential if they get enough content in there as it's easy to miss bits of Warhammer lore if you don't buy the magazine or every campaign book.

So is it worth it? Sign up for a year and it costs £50 but you also get a "free" model worth £25 and the current selections look pretty sweet. Even if they won't fit in your army they're appealing as painting projects and a lot of hobbyists will probably find some value in them. Personally I think the model just about tips the subscription into an area where a years subscription seems like a decent price to pay into the hobby, even if it will probably just join my pile of shame.

I might have actually bought a month of warhammer+ to binge what was new once in a while but not after this.

Letting a talented group of people who make fanimations flourish for years and years and do their thing with continuous growing public interest in their work.

Swoop in and offer a job with one hand and a cease and desist with the other when they see they can make money off it.

Then go full scorched earth on the fanimation community that was left out and any future ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Games Workshop are their own worst enemy. Rarely are companies so inept as Games Workshop and Konami.
    A few days old but - holy shit this. They have such a goddamn amazing IP and just do fuck all with it

GW are just as malevolent as Chinavision-Jizzard. They're soooo protective of their precious IP that it borders on religious fervor. It's like a five year old going "MINE MINE MINE!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I havent read the thread but what was it this time? A cease and desist from games workshop or it turned out they were nazis?
    GW is coming out with a streaming service, so they changed their policy to disallow fanfilms. I haven't seen any notices being sent out to claim/ dispute any materials, but it is a bad image.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    So is it worth it? Sign up for a year and it costs £50 but you also get a "free" model worth £25 and the current selections look pretty sweet. Even if they won't fit in your army they're appealing as painting projects and a lot of hobbyists will probably find some value in them. Personally I think the model just about tips the subscription into an area where a years subscription seems like a decent price to pay into the hobby, even if it will probably just join my pile of shame.
    The 40k app was crap when I tried it before, but maybe it'll improve. So I have little enough hope for the AoS app.
    Meanwhile, they did update the AoS builder on the website, and it's superb, so hopefully the AoS app is at least that good. None of the AoS3 books come with codes though, so I guess they're not going that route with AoS. Will that mean faction rules are for everybody, or will it mean no faction rules? Who knows! I doubt GW knows right now. I'm a dead-tree guy myself, and opponents scrolling through an app for a stat/ rule takes a lot longer than my paper trail.

The actual content seems so varied/ random in styles, I doubt I'll find a lot to watch, but it is cheap enough.

But yeah, I "need" that sniper, who will never be in any army I'll actually build. Not so sure of the other guy, just like the current pair of made-to-orders. (The Necron is ugly and I've got 3-4 overlords already.) I do wonder about getting as a future resale, but meh.

I figure they'll get a bunch of annuals, then a bunch of bitching, then next year redo a bunch of stuff to try for more annuals...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for posting this long-ass video, but it seems to become more relevant with every passing day, especially with GW being unreasonable tyrants again.
    It's a long watch but I highly encourage everyone to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    A few days old but - holy shit this. They have such a goddamn amazing IP and just do fuck all with it
    OR do too much of it in the worst, cheapest ways.

I don't think GW cares about their IP. They care about money, which was always the case. But a bit different when hundreds of cheap poorly made WH stuff floods the market physically and digitally in 2021 than in 1993.

I havent read the thread but what was it this time? A cease and desist from games workshop or it turned out they were nazis?
    They're basically extorting the people that have been making fan animations on Youtube to come work for them or else....

GW have now started producing in-house animations and have changed their IP rules to say fan animations are no longer allowed as it would be direct competition. Most of the people who had produced outstanding work were offered jobs at GW's animation department including the makers of the Astartes series.

As most of the 40k fandom seems to be made up of IP lawyers and communists this enforcement of IP has not gone down well.

10+ Year Old Account

Well its over....
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Seems gw have not acually contacted them yet but they are worried continuing with potential lawsuits and all. They are satire and not animation too so perhaps that will help but hes not gonna risk it

So there is a chance he can continue if gw says so, we will see i really hope he gets to continue.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-07-30 at 03:18 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?